PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas game

msstate7
11-17-2015, 07:48 PM
There's almost no talk whatsoever here about it. We scared or what?

msstate7
11-17-2015, 07:57 PM
I think we should have a good night offensively. I think our oline should give Dak a little time this week. Alabama is #1 in the sec in sacks (38) and Arkansas is 13th (14). Arkansas is 14th in the sec in passing defense and 13th in scoring defense. We should be able to exploit that secondary this week. Just gotta get back to bending, but not breaking and we should be fine

CJDAWG85
11-17-2015, 08:15 PM
It's good that Bear is playing. We need to let loose offensively and do what UNM did to them. We desperately need to create turnovers and make them play from behind.

Anyone know if Dear or Lee is playing?

CadaverDawg
11-17-2015, 08:35 PM
It's good that Bear is playing. We need to let loose offensively and do what UNM did to them. We desperately need to create turnovers and make them play from behind.

Dear is.

CadaverDawg
11-17-2015, 08:38 PM

I think everyone is feeling a little down after the Bama game. Not feeling too confident going on the road to play the hottest team in the SEC while dealing with the Bama Hangover.

I actually like how we match up, but I'm wondering where we are mentally after last week. We'll learn a lot about our mental toughness and our coach's ability to coach em up and deal with adversity this weekend.

Harrydawg
11-17-2015, 08:49 PM
I have been suffering from but hurt......didn't expect to win but damn sure did not expect to get blown out (slowly - Bama style) and or shut out (TD) - I was pissed Saturday night and have not felt like that leaving DW in years.

Now, I'm going to Fayetteville and I will be really pissed if we can't give em all they want. The defense I watched in Oxford should allow us to score and score. I think our D is solid, I really do expect us to play em well with a chance to win.

deltadawg99
11-17-2015, 09:21 PM
Last week was a very emotional week for the team and staff. Playing the number 2 team in the country and losing a teammate is mentally draining.

I fully expect us to rebound and come out firing. If the OL gives Dak time we will put up points. Defense has to play well and not give up big plays.

IMissJack
11-17-2015, 09:32 PM
I think we should have a good night offensively. I think our oline should give Dak a little time this week. Alabama is #1 in the sec in sacks (38) and Arkansas is 13th (14). Arkansas is 14th in the sec in passing defense and 13th in scoring defense. We should be able to exploit that secondary this week. Just gotta get back to bending, but not breaking and we should be fine

So Bama got almost 1/4 of their sacks against us? That is telling.

Todd4State
11-17-2015, 09:52 PM
I'm still pissed at Hevesy. It's to the point where if I saw him on the street I would probably say something below the belt smartass or sarcastic to him because I want him to be as pissed off at me as I am him. It's become very obvious to me that he is holding the whole program back and it's time to do something about it- but I fear that nothing will be done because he is Dan's friend. And that's the WORST part about all of this. At least with Geoff and Chris I knew Dan would do something. Hevesy will probably get a raise. I feel like he and his position group are the main reason why we pissed away Dak's senior year. I understand it's difficult to evaluate o-line talent. But it seems like EVERY single one of our o-linemen are soft. It seems like every offensive tackle we recruit ends up being moved to guard because they suck and then we have to switch a TE or a DT into an OT- and then we suffer from the transition. His two best players from his tenure were either totally recruited by Croom (Sherrod) or at least partially recruited by Croom (Gabe Jackson).

That said, since you want to talk about Arkansas- I think we will be OK. I agree with what you are saying about the offensive and defensive match up. It could be high scoring game. Yes- Arkansas is hot and they are confident- and that's the biggest reason why we might lose along with the game being on the road. At the same time the interesting thing is they have gotten hot AFTER they lost to Alabama. And of those four wins- two are in OT on the road. One is against UT-Martin where they allowed 28 points which is a lot against a I-AA team, and then they got a LSU team that can not throw and exploit the weaknesses of their defenses.

Basically we just need to try to do what we have done pretty much all year. If it were ME, I would start Jenkins, and maybe move Malone to OT and start Calhoun. But no way in hell that happens with Dan Walsh and his buddy.

Todd4State
11-17-2015, 09:54 PM

Buy a ticket, but Dear has a hamstring and Lee has a Moultrie knee. He won't be back until whomever Co-Lin plays first next year in all likelihood.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-17-2015, 10:41 PM
Lee has a legit injury it's not "Moultrie Knee".

Todd4State
11-17-2015, 10:47 PM

What is wrong with him?

Coach34
11-17-2015, 10:53 PM

Thats bullshit. Lee has been missing study halls and not doing what he is supposed to. Mullen had to call Mama and get her involved. Like JRob early on- DLee has cost himself playing time

Ifyouonlyknew
11-17-2015, 10:55 PM
Thats bullshit. Lee has been missing study halls and not doing what he is supposed to. Mullen had to call Mama and get her involved. Like JRob early on- DLee has cost himself playing time

Ok

deltadawg99
11-18-2015, 12:10 AM
What about Dear? Any indication of his availability this weekend?

Todd4State
11-18-2015, 12:39 AM
What about Dear? Any indication of his availability this weekend?

He was supposed to be back last weekend, but hamstrings linger sometimes. My educated guess is he will be a game time decision.

t45fixer
11-18-2015, 05:50 AM
Knee scope

Dawgface
11-18-2015, 07:51 AM

Yep, scared. They are going to kill us. Although we should score some points.

SDDawg
11-18-2015, 08:02 AM
I don't fear Bert, and I don't think Mullen does either. We get up on these guys by 2 scores and it is ours, just need to take it to that weak secondary.

Dawgology
11-18-2015, 08:24 AM

Not scared....but after that shit show Saturday night I expect us to lose. I think we drop a turd in Arkansas and then scrape out a win against ole miss to end the season 8-4. I would be pleasantly surprised if we win both. Arkansas and Ole Miss don't exactly have a terrible defensive lines so if they can rush 4 or 5 and get pressure then it will be a long two weeks...

BrunswickDawg
11-18-2015, 08:24 AM
I think we match up well against the Hawgs with our D, and our offense is well suited to take advantage of their D.

One thing to keep in mind about Hawg vs. LSU - Fournette is out of gas. He has 224 touches in 9 games on the year which is 30 more than he had in 13 games last year. That is on pace for 323 touches on the year - 129 more than last year. Les was running him into the ground and Bama pounded him into submission. While Harris had an ok day, he can't win you games. With Fournette neutralized, LSU is not an elite team and Hawg got to take advantage. The key for us, as usual, will be OL play. Play like we did against Bama, lose. Play like we did in the 4 games prior, win. That simple.

msstate7
11-18-2015, 08:26 AM
Not scared....but after that shit show Saturday night I expect us to lose. I think we drop a turd in Arkansas and then scrape out a win against ole miss to end the season 8-4. I would be pleasantly surprised if we win both. Arkansas and Ole Miss don't exactly have a terrible defensive lines so if they can rush 4 or 5 and get pressure then it will be a long two weeks...

I don't think Arkansas and om can man up on our wr's like bama did. Certainly not confident we'll beat them both, but neither of them have a defense remotely close to bama

Saltydog
11-18-2015, 09:10 AM
football right now, as good as anyone in the league, except Bama. I've never liked playing over there anyway. It's always late in the season and usually cold and wet. I just don't like this matchup and Brandon Allen is hot as a firecracker right now. He's making all the plays.

Dental Dawg33
11-18-2015, 09:10 AM
We stop Collins and not get murdered by the play action/TE dump passes we will be ok. Bama was a huge gut punch to everyone and they were just flat out better. Have to respond and get back on track, and I think we will. Won't blow out UPig, but I believe we will win

Dawgtini
11-18-2015, 09:31 AM
I think we see the team that played Mizz and we put pressure on BA to take him out of his game. We will score and score often. They won't get 20 points.

War Machine Dawg
11-18-2015, 10:03 AM

This is the kind of thing that really pisses me off about Mullen. I get that you gotta discipline the "little" stuff or it turns into "big" stuff and causes more problems later. But how many other SEC teams don't get their best RB on the field for an entire season because he skipped a few damn study halls? I'm willing to bet that answer is 0. You can deal with something like that a different way without hurting the team. And frankly, it still doesn't explain why Mullen won't at least give the bulk of the carries to Aeris instead of Holloway. While I have no doubt he's punishing Lee, I still say Aeris not getting the bulk of PT has to do with Mullen being afraid to play freshmen.

Maroonthirteen
11-18-2015, 10:22 AM
Same sh... Different year. For whatever reason, the Arkansas game has never interested our fan base. Most years, I'm sure it is because it is post Bama beating and the opening of deer season. I would imagine that is the case again this year......and we haven't beaten anyone worth a damn since we beat them last year at home. Which, btw, that was a dead crowd too.

Yeah, I'm frustrated.

CadaverDawg
11-18-2015, 10:23 AM
I think we see the team that played Mizz and we put pressure on BA to take him out of his game. We will score and score often. They won't get 20 points.

I wonder how much of that performance was because we were playing Mizzou? May have been the same MSU team, beating shittier competition

msstate7
11-18-2015, 10:25 AM
I wonder how much of that performance was because we were playing Mizzou? May have been the same MSU team, beating shittier competition

Well mizzou's defense is superior to ark's in every category. Mizzou hasn't been good this year, but it isn't bc of defense

Maroonthirteen
11-18-2015, 10:26 AM
Unfortunately they ain't Missouri. They throttled LSU last week....offensively and defensively. They scored at will on OM.....they will put up points against us. Book it. We won't be able to keep.pace. 38ish to 17ish.

Still frustrated

Taog Redloh
11-18-2015, 10:28 AM
We are going to get our asses kicked.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-18-2015, 10:36 AM
We will win.

CadaverDawg
11-18-2015, 10:37 AM
If I was Dan, I would start Aeris Williams, go back to running a true zone read since Ark's defense isn't a huge mismatch....and then get the play action portion of our game going again. We see no more jab step from Dak, no true play action fake to RB's, etc...and the reason is because we no longer run a true version of read option that the defense has to prepare for.

It's going to be hard to score in the redzone against Ark or OM if there is zero fear of a running play, no biting on play action, and no forcing of assignment football by running any actual READ option.

Just my opinion.

Dak is great...but even Peyton Manning struggled in his prime when the defense knew pass was coming every play, and they were strictly one dimensional.

Dawgology
11-18-2015, 10:46 AM
I don't think Arkansas and om can man up on our wr's like bama did. Certainly not confident we'll beat them both, but neither of them have a defense remotely close to bama

I really hope you are right. I felt bad about this game before the season started...really worried now. I hope this team can respond to a demoralizing loss and pick themselves back up. Would be great to close strong and finish 9-3

bulldawg28
11-18-2015, 10:52 AM
Unless Arkansas goes back in time and gets Batman and the crew they're screwed. Our guys will rise to competition level.

TrapGame
11-18-2015, 11:23 AM
I'll defense is better than om's and LSU just laid a late season turd.

We win.

Beaver
11-18-2015, 11:56 AM
I think it'll hinge on the first 10 minutes of the game. This team is probably a bit fragile, while Arky is flying high. If we get down by 2 scores early, we'll give in. On the other hand, if we have a couple good drives and actually cash them in for TDs, I think Dak will be able to rally the troops to a nice win.

msstate7
11-18-2015, 11:59 AM
I think it'll hinge on the first 10 minutes of the game. This team is probably a bit fragile, while Arky is flying high. If we get down by 2 scores early, we'll give in. On the other hand, if we have a couple good drives and actually cash them in for TDs, I think Dak will be able to rally the troops to a nice win.

The first drive by both teams is critical. I

RougeDawg
11-18-2015, 12:03 PM

I laughed. You do realize who's calling our plays, right?

RougeDawg
11-18-2015, 12:15 PM
Our defense played good enough to beat Bama. Our offense and mainly play calling were and are the reason I have no faith in winning any of these next few games. I predicted we would win 10 or 11 in regular season. I figured Dan had learned his lessons of coaching not to lose, but I was dead wrong. We will lose out if he continues coaching not to lose and saving timeouts for the off season.

mparkerfd20
11-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Yep, scared. They are going to kill us. Although we should score some points.

Not scared, but pretty confident we will lose.

Pollodawg
11-18-2015, 12:50 PM
Sinking feeling we're gonna get rolled. Hail State anyway.

Boston
11-18-2015, 01:27 PM
I see a double digit win for the Bulldogs in this one.

maroonmania
11-18-2015, 02:27 PM
Sinking feeling we're gonna get rolled. Hail State anyway.

I'll be honest, I've had a sinking feeling ever since getting the news of the Joseph tragedy the day after the Missouri game. That kind of incident just has a huge impact on a team's focus. Just very difficult to overcome. Don't want to use that as an excuse for poor performance on the field but the situation is what it is.

basedog
11-18-2015, 02:40 PM
I'll be honest, I've had a sinking feeling ever since getting the news of the Joseph tragedy the day after the Missouri game. That kind of incident just has a huge impact on a team's focus. Just very difficult to overcome. Don't want to use that as an excuse for poor performance on the field but the situation is what it is.

Totally agree, has a big impact on certain players and coaches. Let's see how we respond this weekend.

Dawgtini
11-18-2015, 04:02 PM
If I was Dan, I would start Aeris Williams, go back to running a true zone read since Ark's defense isn't a huge mismatch....and then get the play action portion of our game going again. We see no more jab step from Dak, no true play action fake to RB's, etc...and the reason is because we no longer run a true version of read option that the defense has to prepare for.

It's going to be hard to score in the redzone against Ark or OM if there is zero fear of a running play, no biting on play action, and no forcing of assignment football by running any actual READ option.

Just my opinion.

Dak is great...but even Peyton Manning struggled in his prime when the defense knew pass was coming every play, and they were strictly one dimensional.

Arkansas greatest weakness is in the secondary. LSU cannot pass. Arkansas shut them down. We need to air it out and score in bunches. Ross, Bear, Brown need to all catch touchdowns. Mizz has a better defense than Arkansas, especially their secondary. OMU and Arkansas need the same game plan. Screw the run and air it out.

CadaverDawg
11-18-2015, 04:07 PM
Arkansas greatest weakness is in the secondary. LSU cannot pass. Arkansas shut them down. We need to air it out and score in bunches. Ross, Bear, Brown need to all catch touchdowns. Mizz has a better defense than Arkansas, especially their secondary. OMU and Arkansas need the same game plan. Screw the run and air it out.

Our offense isn't built to succeed without play action. I'm not saying run it a lot...but use the run to make play action work. Otherwise Bama game 2.0 Bc we won't score in the redzone.

Just my opinion though. You may be right.

War Machine Dawg
11-18-2015, 04:10 PM
Our offense isn't built to succeed without play action. I'm not saying run it a lot...but use the run to make play action work. Otherwise Bama game 2.0 Bc we won't score in the redzone.

Just my opinion though. You may be right.

You get it. We need the RBs to carry the ball at least 15 times a game. They may only get 20 yards, but it's about keeping the D honest and keeping the threat of the play action viable. Otherwise, we screwed.

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2015, 04:12 PM
We've had very few let downs in the Mullen era. This is where Dan's consistency pays huge dividends. He does well in spots like this.

I expect a rennisance of sorts for this team.

defiantdog
11-18-2015, 04:50 PM
The Arkansas defensive line is going to light up Dak. Bama exposed our offensive line. If we can't figure out how to run the ****ing football, we will lose out! Team don't respect our running game. Good teams will exploit our weaknesses. Also, Arkansas has a running back that can potentially put up big numbers against us.

msstate7
11-18-2015, 05:08 PM
The Arkansas defensive line is going to light up Dak. Bama exposed our offensive line. If we can't figure out how to run the ****ing football, we will lose out! Team don't respect our running game. Good teams will exploit our weaknesses. Also, Arkansas has a running back that can potentially put up big numbers against us.

Maybe so, but they only have 14 sacks all year (13th in sec). By comparison, mizzou is 4th in the sec and got 3 vs us with no LT the 2nd half

WPS
11-18-2015, 05:57 PM
Maybe so, but they only have 14 sacks all year (13th in sec). By comparison, mizzou is 4th in the sec and got 3 vs us with no LT the 2nd half

I mentioned this in another thread but our (Arkansas) defense plays a lot better against pro style offenses who mainly run the ball. It's the reason we shut down Fournette and Henry but struggled against Ole Miss and Texas Tech. Teams with a mobile QB who can use quick passes to their receivers can score a lot on us. It's why I think this could be a shootout.

msstate7
11-18-2015, 05:59 PM
I mentioned this in another thread but our (Arkansas) defense plays a lot better against pro style offenses who mainly run the ball. It's the reason we shut down Fournette and Henry but struggled against Ole Miss and Texas Tech. Teams with a mobile QB who can use quick passes to their receivers can score a lot on us. It's why I think this could be a shootout.

That's the way I see it too. Whichever defense forces fg's instead of td's or whichever qb turns it over will be the difference

Johnson85
11-18-2015, 06:17 PM

Little worried about trying to execute a passing game in near freezing weather that our players see basically twice a year. Plus, while I feel pretty good about stopping their run game, Arkansas's pass offense seems tailor made to take advantage of Manny's bend but don't break style.

I'm just going to assume we will lose in Arkansas in November unless we are much better than the team we're playing. I'm no more down about our team now than I was two years ago when we went to arkansas, but I don't think this arkansas team is nearly as bad as that one was.

maroonmania
11-18-2015, 06:24 PM
Little worried about trying to execute a passing game in near freezing weather that our players see basically twice a year. Plus, while I feel pretty good about stopping their run game, Arkansas's pass offense seems tailor made to take advantage of Manny's bend but don't break style.

I'm just going to assume we will lose in Arkansas in November unless we are much better than the team we're playing. I'm no more down about our team now than I was two years ago when we went to arkansas, but I don't think this arkansas team is nearly as bad as that one was.

If we can execute our passing game in a monsoon, we should be able to execute in the cold. Shouldn't get much below 30 before the game ends.

State82
11-18-2015, 06:36 PM
We're gonna get boat raced

rtdawg
11-19-2015, 10:38 AM
Not a good spot for us. I think we lose by a couple of touchdowns. Night game in Fayetteville in freezing temps does not bode well.......

blacklistedbully
11-19-2015, 12:07 PM
You get it. We need Williams/Lee/Dear to carry the ball at least 15 times a game. They may only get 20 yards, but it's about keeping the D honest and keeping the threat of the play action viable. Otherwise, we screwed.

FIFY. If we use the correct personnel, perhaps mix in some Holloway on sweeps and bubble screens, we'll take it to UPig.

Folks, we got our ass kicked by perhaps the best team in the nation by perhaps one of the best D-lines of all time. They wreaked havoc on our O-line with 4 or fewer D-linemen, allowing them to take away Dak's strength this year, going through progressions and hitting the open receiver.

We will not face another line like that this year. Step back from the edge and enjoy the next 3 games. We can still win 10 games and finish 2nd or 3rd in the SEC West, 3rd or 4th in the SEC overall.

Barking 13
11-19-2015, 12:26 PM
FIFY. If we use the correct personnel, perhaps mix in some Holloway on sweeps and bubble screens, we'll take it to UPig.

Folks, we got our ass kicked by perhaps the best team in the nation by perhaps one of the best D-lines of all time. They wreaked havoc on our O-line with 4 or fewer D-linemen, allowing them to take away Dak's strength this year, going through progressions and hitting the open receiver.

We will not face another line like that this year. Step back from the edge and enjoy the next 3 games. We can still win 10 games and finish 2nd or 3rd in the SEC West, 3rd or 4th in the SEC overall.

BOOM!