PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Article

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2015, 11:29 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/110591/dan-mullen-should-ask-himself-whether-its-time-to-leave-mississippi-state

How come no one writes this about Hugh Freeze?, Butch Jones?, Kevin Sumlin?, Les Miles?, Bert?

Why is Mullen the only one who gets told he needs to leave after losing to Alabama?

HoopsDawg
11-17-2015, 11:39 AM
2 thoughts:

1. I agree that this is a good year to make a move if he is so inclined

2. Here's an idea on how to break through that ceiling: recruit some damn O-linemen.

TopDog58
11-17-2015, 11:42 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/110591/dan-mullen-should-ask-himself-whether-its-time-to-leave-mississippi-state

How come no one writes this about Hugh Freeze?, Butch Jones?, Kevin Sumlin?, Les Miles?, Bert?

Why is Mullen the only one who gets told he needs to leave after losing to Alabama?

Because all of them are recruiting circles around Mullen and none have been there as long as he has except for the Hat, who has SEC West titles? Nothing in the article rings untrue.

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2015, 11:44 AM
2 thoughts:

1. I agree that this is a good year to make a move if he is so inclined

2. Here's an idea on how to break through that ceiling: recruit some damn O-linemen.

My problem is that MSU seems to be the most looked down on program in the SEC. No team other than Bama has a chance of winning the West right now, so long as Saban is at Alabama. Not LSU, not A&M, not Auburn, not Ole Miss, Arkansas, no one. But, MSU is the only school that this article would be written about.

Then he suggest that Mullen goes to Maryland. uh, why? They have Ohio State & about to have Michigan as unbelievable teams in their conference. He would come no closer to winning a division at Maryland than he would at MSU. However, at MSU, he was 5 points away from winning it last year. Incredibly close, yet no one wants to acknowledge that.

It's just another, typical, article from the media that makes little sense & just plays on off-based assumptions

This article blames MSU for Mullen's shortcomings & not Mullen's offensive line recruiting. MSU is plenty talented at most every other position on the field.

HoopsDawg
11-17-2015, 11:47 AM
My problem is that MSU seems to be the most looked down on program in the SEC. No team other than Bama has a chance of winning the West right now, so long as Saban is at Alabama. Not LSU, not A&M, not Auburn, not Ole Miss, Arkansas, no one. But, MSU is the only school that this article would be written about.

Then he suggest that Mullen goes to Maryland. uh, why? They have Ohio State & about to have Michigan as unbelievable teams in their conference. He would come no closer to winning a division at Maryland than he would at MSU. However, at MSU, he was 5 points away from winning it last year. Incredibly close, yet no one wants to acknowledge that.

It's just another, typical, article from the media that makes little sense & just plays on off-based assumptions

This article blames MSU for Mullen's shortcomings & not Mullen's offensive line recruiting. MSU is plenty talented at most every other position on the field.

Yep, all good points. I agree. But Mullen needs to stop referring to us as a developmental program. It's almost like he doesn't even want to battle for the highly recruited out of state targets.

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2015, 11:51 AM
And right when your looking for a motive & agenda, you find it

http://i.imgur.com/1y4TJkR.jpg

chef dixon
11-17-2015, 11:54 AM
I absolutely dread the day Mullen leaves MSU. Especially right now I don't see a glaring hire and there are many programs similar to us looking for coaches.

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2015, 11:57 AM
I absolutely dread the day Mullen leaves MSU. Especially right now I don't see a glaring hire and there are many programs similar to us looking for coaches.

I'm almost to the point where I believe it would really help MSU's reputation if we won with another coach. I want Mullen to stay, but Mullen gets every ounce of credit for MSU's success. No credit is ever given to the fans, athletic department, state of Mississippi, etc.... Don't get me wrong, Mullen deserves a ton of credit, but, if MSU won with another coach, it would show the country that MSU is a good job, where you can win, because they have the resources & fan support to do so.

FISHDAWG
11-17-2015, 11:59 AM
we have always been an easy target for the media in the past ... we are evolving and the media doesn't know how to deal with it .... as to your question - Freeze, Sumlin, & Miles have all beaten bama

ShotgunDawg
11-17-2015, 12:01 PM
we have always been an easy target for the media in the past ... we are evolving and the media doesn't know how to deal with it .... as to your question - Freeze, Sumlin, & Miles have all beaten bama

So, your not a "good" job until you've beaten Bama?

That doesn't make any sense & is a horrible measure of how good a job is or if you can have success at that job. Mullen is bullet proof. The media never blames him for losing to Bama or LSU, but instead blames MSU's resources.

Mullen has a great job. If a coach loses to Bama at LSU, A&M, or Auburn, he gets blamed and is put on the hot seat. However, when you lose to Bama at MSU, it's just blamed on resources.

Why would Mullen ever want to leave a job in which never gets one ounce of blame?

FISHDAWG
11-17-2015, 12:05 PM

That doesn't make any sense & is a horrible measure of how good a job is or if you can have success at that job. Mullen is bullet proof. The media never blames him for losing to Bama or LSU, but instead blames MSU's resources.

Mullen has a great job. If he loses to Bama at LSU, A&M, or Auburn, he gets blamed and is put on the hot seat. However, when you lose to Bama at MSU, it's just blamed on resources.

Why would Mullen ever want to leave a job in which never gets one ounce of blame?

hey - I didn't invent it the concept ... you asked why they dont write about Freeze, Sumlin, & Miles and I responded with my opinion ... where did this "good job" thing come from ?

TrapGame
11-17-2015, 12:16 PM
So now it's Mullen can't beat Bama.

Remember when Mullen caught shit not beating anybody in the West not named ole miss? Now it's just Bama.

And Shotgun's right, dude at ESPN has an agenda. We beat his school three out of the last four.

DownwardDawg
11-17-2015, 12:23 PM
Very cheesy yet predictable from ESPN.

Coach34
11-17-2015, 12:29 PM

I tweeted that to Alex- very well put Shotgun

Coach34
11-17-2015, 12:35 PM

For the most part? Yes

Being 2-16 vs Bama, LSU, and A&M has people looking at us as less talented and Mullen is doing more with less

Johnson85
11-17-2015, 12:44 PM
hey - I didn't invent it the concept ... you asked why they dont write about Freeze, Sumlin, & Miles and I responded with my opinion ... where did this "good job" thing come from ?

Still crazy that we are not a good job because Mullen hasn't beaten Bama, but UM is a good job even though Freeze has a losing record against Arkansas and Memphis and UM hasn't finished ahead of MSU in the West standings for what, five years now?

HoopsDawg
11-17-2015, 12:53 PM
For the most part? Yes

Being 2-16 vs Bama, LSU, and A&M has people looking at us as less talented and Mullen is doing more with less

You keep quoting that stat, at least put AU in it so you're not cherry picking as much.

HoopsDawg
11-17-2015, 12:55 PM

I wouldn't mind Mullen leaving as long as it wasn't a lateral move or a downward move to a place like Maryland. That would be embarrassing.

I would take: 1)Whittingham 2) Herman 3) Chad Scott 4) Fuente. That's 4 pretty good candidates.

Sacrifice
11-17-2015, 12:59 PM
I'm at the point where if Mullen wants to leave, I'm fine with it. We're not the same program we were 7 years ago (thanks to Mullen) but we'd have no problem finding a good young coach with what we're paying and the facilities we have. 2-16 is God awful anyway you look at it. It's almost like we need those teams to have down years to beat them.

Bothrops
11-17-2015, 01:00 PM
For the record, there are several coaches out there that would win at Mississippi State. Some of them would have an easier time recruiting the big fish than Mullen. Having said that, I hope Mullen stays around, at least through the next cycle of qb's. He's done a whole lot at State with qb coaching, tailoring, and getting production.

Just get some real O-linemen and we can punch the big dogs in the mouth.

Bothrops
11-17-2015, 01:15 PM

Remember when Mullen caught shit not beating anybody in the West not named ole miss? Now it's just Bama.

And Shotgun's right, dude at ESPN has an agenda. We beat his school three out of the last four.

Mullen has beaten everyone in the SEC except Bama and SC. Next year he will get a down SC at home. Impressive considering we went into absolute obscurity from 2001-2009.

Shooter McGavin
11-17-2015, 01:16 PM
MSU is plenty talented at most every other position on the field.

EXACTLY! I'm so sick of this narrative we have no highly recruited players/no talent. We have 4 stars players at every position on the field except the offensive line. Do we have as many as some other schools? No but damn it's not like we are rolling out a pu pu platter every week.

FISHDAWG
11-17-2015, 01:17 PM
For the record, there are several coaches out there that would win at Mississippi State. Some of them would have an easier time recruiting the big fish than Mullen. Having said that, I hope Mullen stays around, at least through the next cycle of qb's. He's done a whole lot at State with qb coaching, tailoring, and getting production.

Just get some real O-linemen and we can punch the big dogs in the mouth.

agree with everything you said ... from now looking backward, Mullen has addressed our needs but seemingly only one or two issues at a time ... we had no QB play, we had only marginal recvrs, we had no offense and very little defense .... then, although it took a while, we now have a kicker, good defense / DC , offense capable of scoring points, multiple talent that has been red-shirted, better recruiting .... he carried us to another realm we only dreamed of before and now it's time for maintenance - improve the O-line to go along with tomorrows talented roster .... recruiting like bama or lsu just can't be accomplished in 6-7 years IMO - maybe a few more years but when I look at the progress graph the line is steadily trending upward

drunkernhelldawg
11-17-2015, 01:18 PM
I'm at the point where if Mullen wants to leave, I'm fine with it. We're not the same program we were 7 years ago (thanks to Mullen) but we'd have no problem finding a good young coach with what we're paying and the facilities we have. 2-16 is God awful anyway you look at it. It's almost like we need those teams to have down years to beat them.

The only thing that bothers me about 2-16 is that we had the horses to win five or six of those losses, especially LSU this season and Mullen's first two seasons. Bama last season too. We could have even beat Bama last Saturday. He just hasn't yet been able to take control of the big games. I expect him to get that figured out, here or elsewhere, hopefully here.

I'm very comfortable with Mullen. A new coach could go either way. People don't understand that despite the record we still view Bama as a rival and badly want to beat them. We are close but they have some of that Notre Dame luck. Call it The Luck of the Bear.

maroonmania
11-17-2015, 01:32 PM
Yep, all good points. I agree. But Mullen needs to stop referring to us as a developmental program. It's almost like he doesn't even want to battle for the highly recruited out of state targets.

He doesn't want to battle for them. That's pretty obvious by now. Mullen does not really like recruiting that much and is not that great at it. What he is very good at is identifying underdeveloped talent that he doesn't have to work that hard to sign that he can develop. Its just hard to find enough of those to build an SEC championship contender with.

basedog
11-17-2015, 01:48 PM
You keep quoting that stat, at least put AU in it so you're not cherry picking as much.

Also add Ole Miss as most fans would rather beat them than any other team.

HancockCountyDog
11-17-2015, 02:03 PM

What would that make it? 5-20?

better, but not great.

Freezus record against those four teams in his first four years: 7-8, with potential to go 8-8.

Mullen was handed a damn good team in 2009, they just needed a QB. The fact that we didn't do everything necessary to land Cam is something I may never get over. We go 11-1 with Cam that season.

HancockCountyDog
11-17-2015, 02:06 PM
EXACTLY! I'm so sick of this narrative we have no highly recruited players/no talent. We have 4 stars players at every position on the field except the offensive line. Do we have as many as some other schools? No but damn it's not like we are rolling out a pu pu platter every week.

I almost broke my remote when Gary talked about how if the kid signed with MSU, its because he wasn't highly recruited. As opposed to Bama where they recruit top flight kids and we just hope to fill our scholarship quota with whoever is left after the big boys are done.

Everyone knows its not true, but the problem is that this perception that we don't sign highly ranked kids can have a negative impact on our ability to recruit nationally. Kids don't want to sign with a program that normally doesn't sign top flight kids. They want to go to a name school.

Just bothers me to no end.

Percho
11-17-2015, 02:06 PM
What would that make it? 5-20?

better, but not great.

Freezus record against those four teams in his first four years: 7-8, with potential to go 8-8.

Mullen was handed a damn good team in 2009, they just needed a QB. The fact that we didn't do everything necessary to land Cam is something I may never get over. We go 11-1 with Cam that season.

What would it have taken to land Cam?

BulldogBear
11-17-2015, 02:08 PM

Exactly. These guys want him gone because they think we'll pull a Rick Ray and some of the pressure in this division will be off. We don't affect Bama. Maybe not LSU much. But Auburn, TAMU, Arkansas, and Ole Miss would benefit greatly from a traditional doormat MSU.

Why in the ----- do y'all think they keep trying to push this kind of stuff?

BulldogBear
11-17-2015, 02:15 PM

And gonna be four of five come next year. Like I said in above post. We are a threat to Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and I still believe TAMU. They are so desperate to discredit anything and everything we do. We are 48-27 with six straight bowls in the last six years. That's as good or better than any but all of about 10-12 obviously elite level school.

HSVDawg
11-17-2015, 02:15 PM

Exactly. Or take A&M out of it. We are 1-3 vs. them with two losses on the road and the 3rd at home to a 10 win team with a Heisman trophy QB. Except that one year, they have in no way been remotely comparable to Bama or LSU. Either include all the West teams or just include Bama / LSU if you want to show how we perform against the elites. Those are the only two programs in the whole SEC that have been at a consistently high level since Mullen was hired.

Johnson85
11-17-2015, 02:26 PM
What would it have taken to land Cam?

$180k and probably probation. I think Mullen would have declined to pay regardless, but paying after Cam's dad and agent were leaving voicemail for people they had never met and mentioning payment would have been crazy. Auburn took a huge risk. It worked out for them but it really is crazy the way the SEC and NCAA turned their head with all the evidence that was out there.

LC Dawg
11-17-2015, 02:34 PM
How many coaches in the West could you argue have reached their glass ceiling?

Freeze - Will lose at least three games with the best class ever.
Sumlin - Proven to be pretty mediocre without a Heisman quarterback and seems to have locker room problems every year.
Malzahn - Went to championship game on multiple lucky plays. Coming back down to earth pretty quick.
Miles - Has a championship but LSU is obviously way behind Bama and seems to be losing ground.

Arguments could be made for all these but Mullen is the one written about because it's easier to disparage Mississippi State.

Bothrops
11-17-2015, 03:35 PM
That Scarborough is a dumb.

tcdog70
11-17-2015, 03:43 PM
if in our next 25 games we win 20, then I'll be happy as a pig in $hit. Dang let's see if we win the next 2 before we go all Hope Dan Hits the Dusty Trail Mode.

sleepy dawg
11-17-2015, 03:46 PM
I'm almost to the point where I believe it would really help MSU's reputation if we won with another coach. I want Mullen to stay, but Mullen gets every ounce of credit for MSU's success. No credit is ever given to the fans, athletic department, state of Mississippi, etc.... Don't get me wrong, Mullen deserves a ton of credit, but, if MSU won with another coach, it would show the country that MSU is a good job, where you can win, because they have the resources & fan support to do so.

No it wouldn't. We don't get credit in anything. Most wouldn't even give use credit in baseball 1 year removed from the CWS and a very rich history. It's like the child who spends his whole life trying to gain the approval of their dead beat piece of shit father. We can do anything we want, but we will never gain their approval.

SignalToNoise
11-17-2015, 03:48 PM

These "journalists" have totally forgotten what our 2009 team looked like- Toast Smith and Marcus "Big Play" (for the other team) Washington just to get us started.

Its one thing for the average John Q. Fan to not remember what the '09 pu pu platter looked like- it's another for a paid professional.

Todd4State
11-17-2015, 06:23 PM

Remember last week when I said that we MUST beat Alabama to change our perception? THIS IS WHY.

And it will not change until we do.

Todd4State
11-17-2015, 06:28 PM
I almost broke my remote when Gary talked about how if the kid signed with MSU, its because he wasn't highly recruited. As opposed to Bama where they recruit top flight kids and we just hope to fill our scholarship quota with whoever is left after the big boys are done.

Everyone knows its not true, but the problem is that this perception that we don't sign highly ranked kids can have a negative impact on our ability to recruit nationally. Kids don't want to sign with a program that normally doesn't sign top flight kids. They want to go to a name school.

Just bothers me to no end.

CBS should just go ahead and become the Alabama network like Notre Dame has their own network on NBC. Now CBS gets to bend the rules to get the Iron Bowl.

I sincerely wish the SEC would dump CBS.

BulldogBear
11-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Remember last week when I said that we MUST beat Alabama to change our perception? THIS IS WHY.

And it will not change until we do.

They'll just say Bama's down.

Todd4State
11-17-2015, 06:43 PM
They'll just say Bama's down.

That's not what they said when Texas A&M, LSU, and Ole Miss beat them.

It's also not what they said when we beat LSU, Texas A&M, and Auburn en route to us being number one.

ScottH
11-17-2015, 07:20 PM

When the day comes, I feel certain there will be a line of quality coaches to take the job.

This isn't your father's MSU.

This a 4MM a year SEC job.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-17-2015, 07:26 PM

What has Alex Scarborough done for ESPN? Has he broken any stories or provided insider info or does he just have a grudge from the Cam situation and getting their asses beat? I think we should start a petition to have him fired from ESPN. **** this baby back bitch tiger fan.

Coach34
11-17-2015, 07:29 PM
When the day comes, I feel certain there will be a line of quality coaches to take the job.

This isn't your father's MSU.

This a 4MM a year SEC job.

We used to be in the bottom 1/3 of the country in pay- we now pay top 20 money
We had Sun Belt facilities- now we have top tier facilities

Its a different world now.

Hiring a coach during probation in football or after a dumpster fire of drug use and bullshit in basketball is hard- hiring one after the the run we have been on in football should Dansbury leave would be much easier.

Coach34
11-17-2015, 07:31 PM
What has Alex Scarborough done for ESPN? Has he broken any stories or provided insider info or does he just have a grudge from the Cam situation and getting their asses beat? I think we should start a petition to have him fired from ESPN. **** this baby back bitch tiger fan.

No- while wrong- he just shows the opinion alot of media and outside people have of us.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-17-2015, 07:36 PM
opinion alot of media and outside people have of us.

Man, that ****in state flag keeps holding us back********************************************** ********************************

BossDawg
11-17-2015, 07:46 PM
.. as to your question - Freeze, Sumlin, & Miles have all beaten bama

They have also had some pretty ugly losses, particularly UMiss. Mullen at least hasn't had one of those yet, unless you consider UMiss an ugly loss. Nobody should ever lose to them, really.

Pollodawg
11-17-2015, 08:35 PM
As far as the talent argument goes, I saw a guy on SPS say that the only teams less talented than State are UK and Vandy. Yeah.......NO. That's simply not true. State is more talented or at least as talented as Mizzou, South Carolina, Auburn, and Arkansas as well. When you combine that with him giving State Vandy and UK, that's nearly half of the conference.

Coach34
11-17-2015, 08:55 PM
As far as the talent argument goes, I saw a guy on SPS say that the only teams less talented than State are UK and Vandy. Yeah.......NO. That's simply not true. State is more talented or at least as talented as Mizzou, South Carolina, Auburn, and Arkansas as well. When you combine that with him giving State Vandy and UK, that's nearly half of the conference.

We are top half of the SEC the last 5 years in draft picks- so that tells us right there that is bullshit

Todd4State
11-17-2015, 09:14 PM

I think we have about as much talent at every position group EXCEPT one. I'll let you take a guess which one it is- but they just set a record for sacks allowed to a Nick Saban defense.

I really believe at this point that the biggest thing holding us back is Hevesy and the o-line. If we get that up to par with the other position groups, we will make the next step.

NCDawg
11-17-2015, 09:22 PM
I think we have about as much talent at every position group EXCEPT one. I'll let you take a guess which one it is- but they just set a record for sacks allowed to a Nick Saban defense.

I really believe at this point that the biggest thing holding us back is Hevesy and the o-line. If we get that up to par with the other position groups, we will make the next step.

I think you are correct.

sleepy dawg
11-17-2015, 09:52 PM
We used to be in the bottom 1/3 of the country in pay- we now pay top 20 money
We had Sun Belt facilities- now we have top tier facilities

Its a different world now.

Hiring a coach during probation in football or after a dumpster fire of drug use and bullshit in basketball is hard- hiring one after the the run we have been on in football should Dansbury leave would be much easier.

It should be easier, but do truly believe we would hire a better coach? And by better, I mean one that will improve on the success we've already had.

Todd4State
11-17-2015, 09:57 PM
It should be easier, but do truly believe we would hire a better coach? And by better, I mean one that will improve on the success we've already had.

I'll be straight up honest- if we hire Whittingham, I think it would basically be Dan 2.0. Which is not a BAD thing. But I also don't think it's drastically better or a hire I would just turn cartwheels over.

I think Fuente would be a better pick personally. Especially if he can give us a corner on the Memphis market in addition to Mississippi.