PDA

View Full Version : Two weaknesses that Dan needs to adress

Joe Schmedlap
11-16-2015, 01:41 PM
1. Offensive line. Hevesey needs to be gone or get help from someone who can recruit. To add another o-line coach, Sallach must be reassigned to an admin n spot.

2. Dan needs an offensive coordinator who can actually make good play calls once the game is underway.

Will Mullen look for in the mirror and make changes where they are needed? Dan does A LOT of things well. He also does some things poorly. Pobody's nerfect.

MetEdDawg
11-16-2015, 01:59 PM
I would argue that we are one of the best opening drive teams in the country. Mullen can script a drive with the best of them. But when it comes to in game adjustments and play calling, he's really got a lot to work on, especially in big games.

I would be interested to see what Gonzales can do in terms of playcalling. Hell, with as much credit as Malzahn gets for his offensive genius, they said during the UGA broadcast that he has let Rhett Lashlee call the last 3 games. If Malzahn can do that, Mullen might need to think about that as an option as well.

mic
11-16-2015, 02:00 PM
#2 isn't going to happen.

And #1 needs to happen But won't

deltadawg99
11-16-2015, 02:00 PM
Hevesy isn't going anywhere. He's been with Dan since they were assistants for Myer. OL talent level has to improve. OL and TE are the two spots that we seem to struggle developing guys. Hell Desper was an UA All American coming out of high school. The unit as a whole shows flashes at time but is not consistent and is soft. They desperately need to develop a mean streak going forward. Dylan Day & Beckwith weren't the most talented guys but they were mean and would kick any of our lineman's ass.

I'd say that we need to go the juco route for next year, but we tend to red shirt our juco OL signees.

Beaver
11-16-2015, 02:03 PM
I know we're all criticizing Mullen for his playcalling..And rightly so. But doesn't Dak deserve a bit too? Apparently he helps create the gameplan with Mullen during the week, and being a 5th year senior he should be able to audible any call from the sideline. I could be wrong.. Maybe Mullen has a tighter leash than I thought.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2015, 02:11 PM
1. Offensive line. Hevesey needs to be gone or get help from someone who can recruit. To add another o-line coach, Sallach must be reassigned to an admin n spot.

2. Dan needs an offensive coordinator who can actually make good play calls once the game is underway.

Will Mullen look for in the mirror and make changes where they are needed? Dan does A LOT of things well. He also does some things poorly. Pobody's nerfect.

I think this is over reactionary off of one game in a transition year in which we just so happen to have an above average QB.

To me, play calling is low hanging fruit & Hev isn't leaving. To me, the best thing for Mullen & Hev to do is look themselves in the mirror & make adjustments. Then re-assign Sallach to an admin job & bring in another Brewster type to coach tight ends. A guy that is a major recruiter that can give us a presence in the mid-west or Northeast.

We don't need major changes. We are a car that is running out of gas, but, instead of ditching the car, we need to go to a gas station. Just tweaks. Our recruiting ranking doesn't have to make a major jump. We just need to 1 to 2 more players a year on offensive & DL.

Do that, & we'll be much much better. It isn't about just bumping the recruiting ranking or making better play calls. It's about adding one or two more elite prospects a year at positions that our 4 hour radius doesn't produce.

Todd4State
11-16-2015, 05:25 PM
I know we're all criticizing Mullen for his playcalling..And rightly so. But doesn't Dak deserve a bit too? Apparently he helps create the gameplan with Mullen during the week, and being a 5th year senior he should be able to audible any call from the sideline. I could be wrong.. Maybe Mullen has a tighter leash than I thought.

I refuse to blame a college kid for bad play calling. So no, Dak doesn't deserve any of the blame.

He may be in the meeting and he may have some input, but I'm pretty sure Dan has the final say on 90% of the game plan.

Todd4State
11-16-2015, 05:28 PM
I think this is over reactionary off of one game in a transition year in which we just so happen to have an above average QB.

To me, play calling is low hanging fruit & Hev isn't leaving. To me, the best thing for Mullen & Hev to do is look themselves in the mirror & make adjustments. Then re-assign Sallach to an admin job & bring in another Brewster type to coach tight ends. A guy that is a major recruiter that can give us a presence in the mid-west or Northeast.

We don't need major changes. We are a car that is running out of gas, but, instead of ditching the car, we need to go to a gas station. Just tweaks. Our recruiting ranking doesn't have to make a major jump. We just need to 1 to 2 more players a year on offensive & DL.

Do that, & we'll be much much better. It isn't about just bumping the recruiting ranking or making better play calls. It's about adding one or two more elite prospects a year at positions that our 4 hour radius doesn't produce.

Honestly, we need a better o-line coach worse than we need an elite recruiter right now. Gonzalez, Knox, Hughes, Townsend, and pretty much everyone on the staff not named Hevesy or Sallach is a good recruiter. We need a good recruiter and a good developer of talent on the o-line.

The reason I'm saying this is because EVERY other position group is developing players at an acceptable level or at the very least has recruited good young elite talent EXCEPT for Hevesy's group. Even Sallach has developed TE's for us at a reasonable rate- see Malcolm Johnson, Gus Walley is pretty good when he's not concussed, and etc.

TrapGame
11-16-2015, 05:45 PM
I'd like to see Brian Johnson get a shot as OC. I'm sure his Dan's protege and he's being groomed for bigger things.

Original48
11-16-2015, 06:21 PM
Dak held the ball too long a lot. Most sacks were on O line but several could have been avoided.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-16-2015, 07:46 PM
Dak held the ball too long a lot. Most sacks were on O line but several could have been avoided.

Several times Dak definitely held it too long. But the reason he held it too long is because nobody was open. Nobody was open because Bama dropped 7 into coverage. The reason they could drop 7 into coverage is because they could easily get a pass rush with 4. So it still somewhat goes back to the OL.

FISHDAWG
11-17-2015, 08:52 AM
I refuse to blame a college kid for bad play calling. So no, Dak doesn't deserve any of the blame.

He may be in the meeting and he may have some input, but I'm pretty sure Dan has the final say on 90% of the game plan.

I have seen & heard Dan say that he makes a call but Dak has the final say running that play or changing it before the snap .... and both seemed comfortable with that arrangement ... now, we never really know but that's what they said

FISHDAWG
11-17-2015, 08:59 AM
Several times Dak definitely held it too long. But the reason he held it too long is because nobody was open. Nobody was open because Bama dropped 7 into coverage. The reason they could drop 7 into coverage is because they could easily get a pass rush with 4. So it still somewhat goes back to the OL.

tried to award rep points here but the damn thing deducted instead of adding .... excellent observation and post ......hey somebody - I will award in another thread but this wouldn't let me reverse or change - sorry bout that

Johnson85
11-17-2015, 09:02 AM
Several times Dak definitely held it too long. But the reason he held it too long is because nobody was open. Nobody was open because Bama dropped 7 into coverage. The reason they could drop 7 into coverage is because they could easily get a pass rush with 4. So it still basically goes back to the OL.

FTFY. It's not realistic to expect wr's to get open every play during a three step drop if the oline is getting destroyed by a 4 man rush. I'm sure Dak avoided interceptions by not forcing things every time the D got to him, adn the Oline most of the time didn't even give him a chance to get outside of the pocket so he could throw the ball away.

blacklistedbully
11-17-2015, 10:09 AM

^^^This all day long! They were getting, not just pressure, but SACKS with 4 guys. Hell, they got pressure with 3! Our O-line was TERRIBLE.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to somebodyshotmypaw again.