PDA

View Full Version : Hevesy

NeshobaChuck
11-16-2015, 10:30 AM
If this is the best he can do recruiting OL he's got to go this is just terrible. If Mullen doesn't make a business move he will get Croomed in my honest opinion. It's cool to have your friends on staff but if they can't get it done get rid of them. He's got to go in my opinion, and it's not like it's just from Bama game OL has been atrocious all year and that's being nice.

maroonmania
11-16-2015, 10:36 AM
There is no doubt we would have a Top 10 team RIGHT NOW with a competent to good OL. Yes, for the most part they have been good in pass protection, but this past Saturday they nearly got Dak killed. And no more needs to be said about the joke that is our run blocking.

RC3
11-16-2015, 10:38 AM
bad part is, i think you may see more of the same in our last two games. both ole miss and arkansas have pretty good Defensive lines

Dawgology
11-16-2015, 10:45 AM
If this is the best he can do recruiting OL he's got to go this is just terrible. If Mullen doesn't make a business move he will get Croomed in my honest opinion. It's cool to have your friends on staff but if they can't get it done get rid of them. He's got to go in my opinion, and it's not like it's just from Bama game OL has been atrocious all year and that's being nice.

If we get man handled on the line against Arkansas and Ole Miss you will see one of two things: 1) Hevesy gone 2) If he's not gone there will be A LOT of pressure on Mullen next year for the O-Line to perform and as soon as it struggles the hot seat will be turned on.

Coursesuper
11-16-2015, 10:50 AM
He got demoted when he was a Fla. from OL coach to TE. I hope that Mullen has the sack to move him out but i don't see it happening. Th Oline has been holding us back for quite some time, it is our weakest link and will be for some time to come if changes aren't made.

Coach34
11-16-2015, 10:57 AM
Cohen is more likeable than Hevesy- that should tell you something

Coursesuper
11-16-2015, 11:00 AM
This ^^^ is dead on.

FISHDAWG
11-16-2015, 11:01 AM
He got demoted when he was a Fla. from OL coach to TE. I hope that Mullen has the sack to move him out but i don't see it happening. Th Oline has been holding us back for quite some time, it is our weakest link and will be for some time to come if changes aren't made.

I thought last yrs line was pretty good ... year before that was OK ... we have been putting OL in the NFL until last year and this one

maroonmania
11-16-2015, 11:02 AM

Apparently he is super likeable to Dan Mullen. That's really the only one that counts since that's his boss.

Dallas_Dawg
11-16-2015, 11:04 AM
Even when Hev had "good" O-Lines, they aren't good enough to play with Bama and OM last year. Gabe Jackson is the only OL we have had under Hevesy who has played in the NFL.
Clausell, Day, Beckwith, A Lawrence, Saulsberry, Siddoway are all nice players against some of our weaker teams but none will be career NFL guys who we can count on to help us compete against upper echelon SEC D-Lines.
We say the same shit every year about Hevesy. Its time for him to shit or get off the pot.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2015, 11:08 AM
Simple solution. MSU & OM need to just trade OL Coaches. OM fans are upset because Luke can't develop the OL they get & MSU fans are upset because we don't get more top end talent. Just swap coaches & problem solved.

blacklistedbully
11-16-2015, 11:10 AM
Seems to me, much of this board tends to waffle between, "Hev knows how to spot and develop underrated talent" in good years to, "Hev is a moron who has to go".

sleepy dawg
11-16-2015, 11:14 AM

That tells me nothing actually. Ray and Croom were pretty likable guys when they came in. Saban is probably on par with Hevesy when it comes to likableness. I don't really care what you are, as long as you do your job good.

FISHDAWG
11-16-2015, 11:17 AM
Seems to me, much of this board tends to waffle between, "Hev knows how do spot and develop underrated talent" in good years to, "Hev is a moron who has to go".

BINGO ... and apparently the same seems to go for Mullen ... we are starting to sound like some whining bama bitches

maroonmania
11-16-2015, 11:19 AM
That tells me nothing actually. Ray and Croom were pretty likable guys when they came in. Saban is probably on par with Hevesy when it comes to likableness. I don't really care what you are, as long as you do your job good.

Well, apparently Saban is the most likeable guy around to recruits, Hevesy not so much.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Well, apparently Saban is the most likeable guy around to recruits, Hevesy not so much.

Ehh not really. He doesn't have to be a kiss ass to recruits because the program sells itself. He's told more than 1 top flight prospect he's going to win with him or without him the choice is his. You can do that type of thing with 4 crystal balls behind you.

Irondawg
11-16-2015, 11:27 AM
I normally don't care about likeability when they are excellent at their job. Odd to bring Hevesy worse than Cohen in here because I had friends of a baseball recruit tell me yesterday how much the family disliked Cohen compared to other baseball visits.

But it's a story I keep hearing repeated over the years and we've had plenty of time to make full evaluations. So for Hev I think it comes down to these facts:

1) Recruits don't particularly like him and that has impacted recruiting. To be somewhat fair most of the guys I've heard that we're lose soley because of him haven't amounted to anything, but that make his evaluation eye socre even worse.
2) His eye for sleepers is hit or miss - but he takes more chances on raw, unknown, undersize guys that most
3) As a pure coach he's pretty average. We've had some decent lines and some bad lines

Which means that total package is nothing special - the only thing special about him appears to be his bond with Mullen.

maroonmania
11-16-2015, 11:34 AM
Ehh not really. He doesn't have to be a kiss ass to recruits because the program sells itself. He's told more than 1 top flight prospect he's going to win with him or without him the choice is his. You can do that type of thing with 4 crystal balls behind you.

Proof is in the results. Bama has always been Bama but not even Bama has ever recruited at the level that they have since Saban's arrival. So SOMEBODY likes him enough that they are willing to sit behind other top players to play for him. The program certainly didn't just sell itself before he got there, at least nowhere like the current level. Saban is actually a much better recruiter than he is coach, so recruits like Saban in the sense they are lining up to play for him, that's all that matters. If Hevesy was pulling in top notch OL recruits then that would be plenty likeable for me.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Proof is in the results. Bama has always been Bama but not even Bama has ever recruited at the level that they have since Saban's arrival. So SOMEBODY likes him enough that they are willing to sit behind other top players to play for him. The program certainly didn't just sell itself before he got there, at least nowhere like the current level. Saban is actually a much better recruiter than he is coach, so recruits like Saban in the sense they are lining up to play for him, that's all that matters. If Hevesy was pulling in top notch OL recruits then that would be plenty likeable for me.

True but he didn't start having #1 recruiting classes til he won the 1st championship at Bama. He had really good recruiting classes but the train didn't really start rolling in recruiting til he won the 1st crystal ball. I never mentioned Hev or his recruiting just making a point that Saban isn't a real personable recruiter. He has some very very good recruiters on his staff & he shows up with 4 rings on his fingers to seal the deal.

mic
11-16-2015, 11:42 AM
Hev shouldn't be getting paid 400k+ to just find "gems " in Mississippi.
Go out and find some OL.. They are out there..

Just look at the NFL rosters.. They all have at least one or two guys on them that played at schools that aren't ur normal powerhouses... Purdue, Indiana, MAC schools.. Ect..

Go out and find a couple of these guys... When is the last time we had an OL from the state of Texas??.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Hev shouldn't be getting paid 400k+ to just find "gems " in Mississippi.
Go out and find some OL.. They are out there..

Just look at the NFL rosters.. They all have at least one or two guys on them that played at schools that aren't ur normal powerhouses... Purdue, Indiana, MAC schools.. Ect..

Go out and find a couple of these guys... When is the last time we had an OL from the state of Texas??.

The only problem with that is those guys at Indiana, Purdue, MAC schools couldn't block LSU or Bama either. Our OL is good enough to compete & beat everybody in the SEC but those 2 schools consistently.

mic
11-16-2015, 11:53 AM
The only problem with that is those guys at Indiana, Purdue, MAC schools couldn't block LSU or Bama either. Our OL is good enough to compete & beat everybody in the SEC but those 2 schools consistently.

It's not just about LSU and Bama... And those schools at Indian, Purdue, Mac , don't have the other athletes around their OL like we do.. I bet at least 2 OL from those schools could start for us right now..
I don't expect to have 5 OL that are all out of state guys, but outside 2 or 3 guys every year this state doesn't produce sec OL.. And we missed out on the best OL the last 2 years according to the experts.. And those 2 guys started as frosh for OM
I bet the 15-20 ranked OL in Texas would be a top 3 OL in this state..

I get it that OL is the hardest position to evaluate talent ,, that's why you have to work and grind in finding those guys.. I don't this staff out works or grinds other programs to find these guys..

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-16-2015, 11:55 AM

If Arkansas can build a line that can handle LSU, then I think we should be able to as well.

mic
11-16-2015, 11:57 AM
If Arkansas can build a line that can handle LSU, then I think we should be able to as well.

100% agree..

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2015, 11:58 AM

They have built that but they struggle in other positions. Mainly WR & QB. Besides Bama & LSU every team has a glaring weakness on their team in recruiting. Hell even Bama & LSU have holes at QB.

ETA: Our OL handled LSU last year pretty well but I get your point.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-16-2015, 12:01 PM
I definitely agree with you that Alabama and LSU are in a different stratosphere talent wise and it would not be realistic to hope that we can recruit to their level. Perhaps the o-line will respond and play well in the next two games. If they give Dak the time he could put up some very good numbers against those secondaries.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2015, 12:04 PM
I definitely agree with you that Alabama and LSU are in a different stratosphere talent wise and it would not be realistic to hope that we can recruit to their level. Perhaps the o-line will respond and play well in the next two games. If they give Dak the time he could put up some very good numbers against those secondaries.

I agree. The last game is fresh in our minds & the OL was manhandled. We go out & win these last 2 games & the offense put up #'s all of sudden Hev is a doing a great job with the OL again.

mic
11-16-2015, 12:15 PM
I'm just saying does our staff grind as much as they should..
We have to out work other schools not just in recruiting but everything.. Do they do that?
Do they know that 7-5 years and beat OM every other year is enough to keep them employed?

And I don't expect to have 2-3 OL that get drafted every other year or so..
But right now with this roster how many NFL pro lineman do you see?? It's year 7..

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2015, 12:25 PM
I'm just saying does our staff grind as much as they should..
We have to out work other schools not just in recruiting but everything.. Do they do that?
Do they know that 7-5 years and beat OM every other year is enough to keep them employed?

And I don't expect to have 2-3 OL that get drafted every other year or so..
But right now with this roster how many NFL pro lineman do you see?? It's year 7..

Do you think our staff is lazy or being outworked by other staffs in the SEC? I don't see that but maybe I'm missing something. I see 2 guys who have played that I think have NFL ability (Jenkins & Calhoun). I can't speak on the RS guys.

HoopsDawg
11-16-2015, 12:37 PM
Do you think our staff is lazy or being outworked by other staffs in the SEC? I don't see that but maybe I'm missing something. I see 2 guys who have played that I think have NFL ability (Jenkins & Calhoun). I can't speak on the RS guys.

I'm glad that Jenkins and Calhoun can hold their own as redshirt freshmen, but I'm in no way ready to say they have NFL ability. If Jenkins has NFL ability then it's a borderline travesty he's not out there for 100% of the snaps at LT. Same could be said for Calhoun at RG.

mic
11-16-2015, 12:50 PM
L
I'm glad that Jenkins and Calhoun can hold their own as redshirt freshmen, but I'm in no way ready to say they have NFL ability. If Jenkins has NFL ability then it's a borderline travesty he's not out there for 100% of the snaps at LT. Same could be said for Calhoun at RG.

I agree...

Fred Garvin
11-16-2015, 01:08 PM
I agree. The last game is fresh in our minds & the OL was manhandled. We go out & win these last 2 games & the offense put up #'s all of sudden Hev is a doing a great job with the OL again.

Why is Hevesy getting all the love? Running back play has been atrocious all season. Why isn't everybody calling for Greg Knox's head?****

AROB44
11-16-2015, 02:11 PM
Why is Hevesy getting all the love? Running back play has been atrocious all season. Why isn't everybody calling for Greg Knox's head?****

Because the only cool thing to do is to call for Mullen to either fire Hev or for Mullen to "not be fired" but take another job.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-16-2015, 02:25 PM
Best add on to Mullen's staff is on Florida State's staff now! He was the type of recruiter we needed.

MrKotter
11-16-2015, 02:31 PM
Have you seen a game this year? If so, you should be able to answer your own question

Coursesuper
11-16-2015, 02:35 PM
Have you seen a game this year? If so, you should be able to answer your own question

This ^^^^ If there is nowhere to run how can a back excel?

maroonmania
11-16-2015, 04:09 PM
True but he didn't start having #1 recruiting classes til he won the 1st championship at Bama. He had really good recruiting classes but the train didn't really start rolling in recruiting til he won the 1st crystal ball. I never mentioned Hev or his recruiting just making a point that Saban isn't a real personable recruiter. He has some very very good recruiters on his staff & he shows up with 4 rings on his fingers to seal the deal.

That's just factually incorrect. Per Rivals, AL's recruiting classes in 2008 and 2009 were both ranked #1 in the nation and were both prior to the 1st championship. Saban is just a beast of a recruiter with or without the crystal ball.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2015, 04:12 PM
That's just factually incorrect. Per Rivals, AL's recruiting classes in 2008 and 2009 were both ranked #1 in the nation and were both prior to the 1st championship. Saban is just a beast of a recruiter with or without the crystal ball.

You're right I was wrong on that part. I still stand by my statement that Saban isn't all chummy & buddy with kids but he is a great recruiter.

DownwardDawg
11-16-2015, 04:16 PM

This!!! Williams has done a fine job, when given any opening to get through. Hell, Holloway has ran well. If our line could block, our backs would be running just fine.

If it's our RB's fault, then how come Dak can't run this year? Does Dak suck at running all of a sudden??? Did we miss on recruiting a good running QB too? ****

This is an O-line issue.

Todd4State
11-16-2015, 05:17 PM
They have built that but they struggle in other positions. Mainly WR & QB. Besides Bama & LSU every team has a glaring weakness on their team in recruiting. Hell even Bama & LSU have holes at QB.

ETA: Our OL handled LSU last year pretty well but I get your point.

Arkansas's QB is currently third behind Chad Kelly and Dak in terms of passing yards. I wouldn't trade Dak for him, but Allen is a pretty good QB.

Todd4State
11-16-2015, 05:21 PM
I actually would love to have an o-line like Arkansas. Jackie had a massive o-line pretty much his entire tenure and it worked out pretty well for us. Jason Wisner could still kick pretty much anyone of our current o-linemen's ass right now as a 40 year old.

Let's get some 6'5"- 6'6" 320-350 pound centers/guards and some 6'8"-6'10" 330-360 pound offensive tackles and see what happens. I doubt it would be any worse than the five p****** that we start now.

Dawgology
11-16-2015, 05:24 PM
I actually would love to have an o-line like Arkansas. Jackie had a massive o-line pretty much his entire tenure and it worked out pretty well for us. Jason Wisner could still kick pretty much anyone of our current o-linemen's ass right now as a 40 year old.

Let's get some 6'5"- 6'6" 320-350 pound centers/guards and some 6'8"-6'10" 330-360 pound offensive tackles and see what happens. I doubt it would be any worse than the five p****** that we start now.

Would it not be BAD ASS to chunk Hevesy and hire Jackie Sherrill as O-Line coach and recruiter!!

ScoobaDawg
11-16-2015, 05:27 PM
Would it not be BAD ASS to chunk Hevesy and hire Jackie Sherrill as O-Line coach and recruiter!!

Just no...

Dawgology
11-16-2015, 05:31 PM
Just no...

Don't be a hater. Sorry forgot the asterisks. How many means sarcasm versus no message?

Todd4State
11-16-2015, 05:31 PM

I don't know if Jackie has ever coached o-line in his life. He did have good o-line coaches though whether that was Rick Trickett, Denver Johnson, Guy Morris, Gerry Fremin until the last few years it kind of tailed off. But for the most part very good.

Homedawg
11-16-2015, 05:51 PM
I don't know if Jackie has ever coached o-line in his life. He did have good o-line coaches though whether that was Rick Trickett, Denver Johnson, Guy Morris, Gerry Fremin until the last few years it kind of tailed off. But for the most part very good.

And those with those line coaches and I'm not looking up who was what year, Jackie had 3 losing seasons in his first 6 years.....hev has some issues, not denying that, but we have had 6 straight bowl years. So, either we've overcome him for 6 years or those you mentioned weren't as good as you think or some of both. Or just none of the above.

Todd4State
11-16-2015, 06:11 PM
And those with those line coaches and I'm not looking up who was what year, Jackie had 3 losing seasons in his first 6 years.....hev has some issues, not denying that, but we have had 6 straight bowl years. So, either we've overcome him for 6 years or those you mentioned weren't as good as you think or some of both. Or just none of the above.

Normally the issue wasn't the o-line with Jackie. Usually it was the QB, the WR's, or the defense or some of all of the above.

It's also a different era. Jackie played 11 games and Dan gets 12 plus there are more bowls now. We had a couple of ties in 1993 that we might have won or lost in OT and in 1996 we went 5-6 and I suspect we most likely would have played a I-AA opponent (weren't allowed to count those at that time) which would have gotten us into a bowl in today's era.

In 1995 I know the issue was the defense- BIG TIME. The offense was pretty good that year even though we went 3-8.

Homedawg
11-16-2015, 06:50 PM
We lost to Memphis, la tech, la Monroe, etc etc. our offense was never ever elite, yet those guys were good ones? And yes in most cases they were, but we couldn't block bama then either. The year Jackie beat them to save his job we didn't score 20 points....
Eta, we also didn't play 8 league games. So you can drop the 12 th game scenario.

Todd4State
11-16-2015, 07:08 PM
We lost to Memphis, la tech, la Monroe, etc etc. our offense was never ever elite, yet those guys were good ones? And yes in most cases they were, but we couldn't block bama then either. The year Jackie beat them to save his job we didn't score 20 points....
Eta, we also didn't play 8 league games. So you can drop the 12 th game scenario.

Jackie's weakness was not always having us ready when we needed to be.

Actually, we DID play 8 league games after the SEC expanded in 1992. 5 against the SEC West and 3 against the SEC East with UK as our permanent.

Homedawg
11-16-2015, 08:40 PM
Jackie's weakness was not always having us ready when we needed to be.

Actually, we DID play 8 league games after the SEC expanded in 1992. 5 against the SEC West and 3 against the SEC East with UK as our permanent.

I believe you are correct!