PDA

View Full Version : Abdul Ado Signing

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2015, 09:51 AM
According to a tweet by Courtney Cronin Ado is supposed to sign with MSU this afternoon.

BeardoMSU
11-16-2015, 09:54 AM
Sweet. Anyone else in serious play, or will this finish it up most likely? From what the Fla kid's coach has said, I guess we're out of the running for him now?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2015, 09:57 AM
I'm sure we'll track guys in the spring & look for a PF to sign in the late period.

maroonmania
11-16-2015, 09:57 AM
Great, need a little good news after this past weekend.

msstate7
11-16-2015, 09:58 AM
Is basketball about to be king at miss state? Good grief, howland... You the man

drummerdawg
11-16-2015, 10:07 AM
So we're taking 2 centers in this class?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2015, 10:11 AM

Looks that way.

CadaverDawg
11-16-2015, 10:12 AM
Ado highly rated?

Big4Dawg
11-16-2015, 10:16 AM
4* - Top 100 player

msstate7
11-16-2015, 10:20 AM
Ado highly rated?

Just a 4-star top 100 or so player...

CadaverDawg
11-16-2015, 10:20 AM
4* - Top 100 player

Pretty awesome fall back plan, ha. Howland and Cohen are gonna put the pressure on Mullen to step up his recruiting game!

maroonmania
11-16-2015, 10:22 AM

Well, we lose the only true, effective post guy we have after this year. We really need 2.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-16-2015, 10:25 AM
Ado is a rim protector ..known for defense

basedog
11-16-2015, 10:32 AM
Looks that way.

I have a football recruiting question. Do you think this year's commitments and the others that we may get be Mullen's best recruiting class so for?

Btw, I sure hope you don't let ED wanna be's run you off, I think you still have a bunch in the tank and we will stay competitive and go to big bowls! LOL!

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2015, 10:39 AM
I have a football recruiting question. Do you think this year's commitments and the others that we may get be Mullen's best recruiting class so for?

Btw, I sure hope you don't let ED wanna be's run you off, I think you still have a bunch in the tank and we will stay competitive and go to big bowls! LOL!

I think we close strong but I don't think this class will be better than last years.

basedog
11-16-2015, 10:50 AM
I think we close strong but I don't think this class will be better than last years.

Thanks, what is your take on folks wanting Mullen gone?

Bothrops
11-16-2015, 10:51 AM
We're going to be sick at basketball, and I have a feeling that we may be that way in baseball, too.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2015, 10:52 AM

Fan is short for fanatic. It's never as good as people think or as bad as people think. Sports bring out the extreme in emotion just the way it is.

maroonmania
11-16-2015, 11:00 AM

Come on, I've seen nobody that wants Mullen gone. I've seen quite a few that won't be on suicide watch if he leaves of his own accord but nobody is actively wanting him gone. Seen lots of folks wanting a new OL coach but after the embarrassment from this past weekend of the AL DL versus the MSU OL that's pretty understandable.

Beaver
11-16-2015, 11:11 AM
It's never as good as people think or as bad as people think.

This is one of my life mottos. Can apply it many other places besides sports.

basedog
11-16-2015, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=maroonmania;450779]Come on, I've seen nobody that wants Mullen gone. I've seen quite a few that won't be on suicide watch if he leaves of his own accord but nobody is actively wanting him gone. Seen lots of folks wanting a new OL coach but after the embarrassment from this past weekend of the AL DL versus the MSU OL that's pretty understandable.[/QUOT

Say that again, did you not see where it was said "I hope Mullen leaves on his own"? I', not gonna argue with you but go back and read again, it's there.

Sorry Ifyouonlyknew about asking about football on a basketball post, "coach them up this week and let's finish strong"!

Thanks again for answering my question bout your thoughts on Mullen, I use to coach (basketball) and you are so right about fans. Funny when we were number 1 for 5 weeks and all was good but 7-3 with 2 to play and there are doubts.

KentuckyDawg13
11-16-2015, 11:14 AM
Ado's highlight film reminds me of Varnado in terms of his shot blocking. Herard (other Center signee) is more of a scorer.

Great class. SEC champs in the making.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-16-2015, 11:15 AM
I'm sure we'll track guys in the spring & look for a PF to sign in the late period.

I think we should go for Udoka Azubuike. He is all Florida State now but he was teammates with Ado and 5*Wendell Carter(2017) target on AAU circuit

check out this article. Ado better than I thought... link (http://www.theprepinsiders.com/elite-defender-abdul-ado-closing-in-on-top-center-spot-in-2016/)

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-16-2015, 11:17 AM
he was compared to Nerlen Noel here.... link (burgeoning)

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2015, 11:22 AM
I think we should go for Udoka Azubuike. He is all Florida State now but he was teammates with Ado and 5*Wendell Carter(2017) target on AAU circuit

check out this article. Ado better than I thought... link (http://www.theprepinsiders.com/elite-defender-abdul-ado-closing-in-on-top-center-spot-in-2016/)

Only way Azubuike doesn't end up at FSU is if Bill Self can get him to Kansas. Also no way Azubuike comes to MSU with Herard already signed. They're basically the same player but Azubuike a little better.

maroonmania
11-16-2015, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE=maroonmania;450779]Come on, I've seen nobody that wants Mullen gone. I've seen quite a few that won't be on suicide watch if he leaves of his own accord but nobody is actively wanting him gone. Seen lots of folks wanting a new OL coach but after the embarrassment from this past weekend of the AL DL versus the MSU OL that's pretty understandable.[/QUOT

Say that again, did you not see where it was said "I hope Mullen leaves on his own"? I', not gonna argue with you but go back and read again, it's there.

Sorry Ifyouonlyknew about asking about football on a basketball post, "coach them up this week and let's finish strong"!

Thanks again for answering my question bout your thoughts on Mullen, I use to coach (basketball) and you are so right about fans. Funny when we were number 1 for 5 weeks and all was good but 7-3 with 2 to play and there are doubts.

OK, I usually take saying folks want somebody gone as they want them fired. There is no surprise that after another Bama beatdown that some folks would be fine with Mullen leaving on his own. Personally, I would be shocked if USC actually came after Mullen at this point.

Blackout
11-16-2015, 11:24 AM
With the way they call fouls now 2 centers becomes a HUGE advantage

trob115
11-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Only thing missing from this class now is a PF.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-16-2015, 11:39 AM
What about Wendell Carter next year? Any chance with him or is it too early to tell?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2015, 11:42 AM
What about Wendell Carter next year? Any chance with him or is it too early to tell?

Very slim to none. Howland is a great recruiter but he's not that great.

woozman
11-16-2015, 12:21 PM
Come on, I've seen nobody that wants Mullen gone.

C34 posted this yesterday afternoon in the Sunday QB thread - "im not saying fire Mullen- I'd just prefer him to leave."

Flat out silly...

smootness
11-16-2015, 12:35 PM
To put our class into perspective, Ado would be our 5th-highest-rated signee, and with Wright's stock soaring, he likely will soon be our worst-rated signee...and he is rated higher than Aric Holman overall.

Think about that.

ShotgunDawg
11-16-2015, 12:40 PM
C34 posted this yesterday afternoon in the Sunday QB thread - "im not saying fire Mullen- I'd just prefer him to leave."

Flat out silly...

Mullen is doing an outstanding job, but there needs to be some realization that adjustments need to be made.

I believe no leader has it all figured out when they take a job & that their legacy depends on their ability to adapt once they implemented & seen the fruits of their initial plan.

Mark Richt - Good coach, but hasn't adapted. Program got stale.

Frank Beamer - Good coach but never adapted. Program went stale.

Saban - Continues to adapt year after year after year. Bama recruits better than anyone, but he put two former CBs at safety this year so that they could better matchup against spread offenses. That's adapting. Team keeps winning

Belicheck - The best adapter in sports. The Patriots are always changing their target. You never know where to strike them. Team keep winning

Bear Bryant - Changed offense three or four times while at Bama & took black players before anyone in the SEC. Was willing to adapt. Team won for a long time.

Coach K - Was against 1 & done players at first. Now he isn't. Adapted and team has continued to win.

These are just a few examples, but it is clear that good coaches have a solid plan that they implement & see good things happen from, but never reach the pinnacle because they are unwilling to adapt & the correct times.

Great coaches have a solid plan but are always a moving target & are always trying to learn something new. I want to see Mullen's staff re-invent themselves. Change the target. Change the strategy. Adapt

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-16-2015, 12:43 PM
If you want to start a new subject, please start a new thread..

smootness
11-16-2015, 12:47 PM
I really don't want to get into this, but Mullen has already re-invented himself. We can't run the ball, so we don't. He is currently running a pass-happy attack because that is our strength. When we had Relf, we essentially never passed.

The idea that Mullen just tries to fit square pegs into the round holes of his ideal plan is false.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2015, 12:47 PM
To put our class into perspective, Ado would be our 5th-highest-rated signee, and with Wright's stock soaring, he likely will soon be our worst-rated signee...and he is rated higher than Aric Holman overall.

Think about that.

If Holman would've stayed in the 2016 class he would've been a top 50 recruit right now.

smootness
11-16-2015, 12:50 PM
If Holman would've stayed in the 2016 class he would've been a top 50 recruit right now.

I realize that. I'm not knocking Holman, I'm just saying that Holman was rated a 4-star, just-outside-the-top-100 guy, and we got a lot of credit for signing him by national media. And there is a decent chance that all 6 of our signees end up better than that, inside the top 100.

smootness
11-16-2015, 12:55 PM
BTW, the 247 composite ranking is pretty useless for basketball recruits because it seems like too often, one of the services has a guy much lower ranked than the others and it skews the composite too much.

Ado is ranked 68 on ESPN, 73 on Rivals, and 77 on 247. But he's 104 in the composite b/c Scout has him as the #24 PF, a 3-star.

Eli Wright is 114 on 247, 94 on Rivals, and around 100 on Scout....but he's a 3-star, #138 on the composite because ESPN has him way low.

Rivals has all 6 of these guys inside their top 100...Kegler 29, Herard 34, Carter 62, Ado 73, Peters 78, Wright 94. We all see how good Weatherspoon is, and he was #116 last year. Holman was 73.

thf24
11-16-2015, 12:58 PM
BTW, the 247 composite ranking is pretty useless for basketball recruits because it seems like too often, one of the services has a guy much lower ranked than the others and it skews the composite too much.

Ado is ranked 68 on ESPN, 73 on Rivals, and 77 on 247. But he's 104 in the composite b/c Scout has him as the #24 PF, a 3-star.

Eli Wright is 114 on 247, 94 on Rivals, and around 100 on Scout....but he's a 3-star, #138 on the composite because ESPN has him way low.

Rivals has all 6 of these guys inside their top 100.

That is definitely a problem with the composite. I feel like it would be more meaningful if there were a few more recruiting services so a high and a low could be dropped. Can't really drop two when there are only four to begin with though.

C222
11-16-2015, 01:11 PM
Ado is the best high school shot blocker out there. Needs to work on offense.

mstatefan91
11-16-2015, 01:11 PM
He's got a bit more muscle on him that Varnado. He should be able to bang inside and get layups while definitely providing productive minutes on defense.

CadaverDawg
11-16-2015, 01:27 PM
I really don't want to get into this, but Mullen has already re-invented himself. We can't run the ball, so we don't. He is currently running a pass-happy attack because that is our strength. When we had Relf, we essentially never passed.

The idea that Mullen just tries to fit square pegs into the round holes of his ideal plan is false.

Careful. There is nothing more square peg/round hole than ramming Dak into Bama's front 7 two straight years with zero luck at all.

Has he reinvented himself some? Yes. But he still makes a lot of the same mistakes repeatedly even now. But he has also corrected many flaws too, so I just hope he keeps evolving. How much of this passing was reinvention, and how much was just Dan wanting to prove that he could get Dak drafted? If a coach has a shitty OL, shitty RBs, great QB, and great WRs...I don't call it "reinvention" when he passes more. That's just basic coaching to your strengths. No pat on the back needed IMO.

I actually would rather him just not allow our OL to get so shitty that we have to go away from our identity.

But this can be saved for a different thread. Sorry to get off topic of this thread

smootness
11-16-2015, 01:39 PM
Careful. There is nothing more square peg/round hole than ramming Dak into Bama's front 7 two straight years with zero luck at all.

Has he reinvented himself some? Yes. But he still makes a lot of the same mistakes repeatedly even now. But he has also corrected many flaws too, so I just hope he keeps evolving. How much of this passing was reinvention, and how much was just Dan wanting to prove that he could get Dak drafted? If a coach has a shitty OL, shitty RBs, great QB, and great WRs...I don't call it "reinvention" when he passes more. That's just basic coaching to your strengths. No pat on the back needed IMO.

I actually would rather him just not allow our OL to get so shitty that we have to go away from our identity.

But this can be saved for a different thread. Sorry to get off topic of this thread

I get that it's necessitated by mistakes at RB and on the OL. But we gave credit to Bear Bryant for changing up his offense several times. Mullen has done it, too, but apparently for him that is being stubborn and refusing to change.

Dawgtini
11-16-2015, 02:17 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to smootness again.

32 Dive
11-16-2015, 03:13 PM
He's got a bit more muscle on him that Varnado. He should be able to bang inside and get layups while definitely providing productive minutes on defense.

Wasn't Swat was something crazy like 185, when he showed up at State? But, talk about making the most of what he had. He made everyone this side of Mike Slive, stand up and take notice...

smootness
11-16-2015, 03:53 PM
Wasn't Swat was something crazy like 185, when he showed up at State? But, talk about making the most of what he had. He made everyone this side of Mike Slive, stand up and take notice...

Yeah, his recruiting profiles listed him at 190, which was probably at least a little generous. He was the definition of skinny.

Ado is a little taller and definitely more solid, but their ratings are pretty similar coming out of high school. I would be ecstatic if we could get similar production out of Ado, obviously.

maroonmania
11-16-2015, 03:54 PM

Yes, same as my view. Even in Mullen's "pass happy" offense he reverts back to same ol' stuff in crunch time trying to run Dak between the tackles on both 3rd and goal and 4th and goal. I bet that would not have worked any more than 1 time in 10 against that Bama DL for scoring a TD. Also no roll outs, no slip screens, very few bubble screens or slants, basically very little in the way of coaching to slow down the Bama rush. It was pretty much all day have Dak sit in the pocket and trying to go through lengthy reads. I bet Dak held the ball a full 5 seconds back there on the very first pass of the game that ended up in a sack. That stuff works against a lot of defenses but not one with the best pass rush in the SEC and close to the best in the nation.

smootness
11-16-2015, 03:55 PM
Also, whaddyaknow, Jerry Meyer has switched his Ado prediction back to State. Such a joke.

mstatefan91
11-16-2015, 04:06 PM
Yes, same as my view. Even in Mullen's "pass happy" offense he reverts back to same ol' stuff in crunch time trying to run Dak between the tackles on both 3rd and goal and 4th and goal. I bet that would not have worked any more than 1 time in 10 against that Bama DL for scoring a TD. Also no roll outs, no slip screens, very few bubble screens or slants, basically very little in the way of coaching to slow down the Bama rush. It was pretty much all day have Dak sit in the pocket and trying to go through lengthy reads. I bet Dak held the ball a full 5 seconds back there on the very first pass of the game that ended up in a sack. That stuff works against a lot of defenses but not one with the best pass rush in the SEC and close to the best in the nation.

Please move your football discussion to a different thread. This is about BASKETBALL

trob115
11-16-2015, 04:23 PM
Does anyone know of any PF prospects that we may go after now?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2015, 04:43 PM
Does anyone know of any PF prospects that we may go after now?

Probably won't hear any more names until the spring.

maroonmania
11-16-2015, 04:58 PM
Back to the actual topic, did Ado sign today?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2015, 04:59 PM
Back to the actual topic, did Ado sign today?

Not sure if he's committing & signing tonight or committing tonight & signing tomorrow.

mstatefan91
11-16-2015, 05:01 PM
Should be soon

DownwardDawg
11-16-2015, 05:02 PM
Please move your football discussion to a different thread. This is about BASKETBALL

Thank you!!!!!!

state66
11-16-2015, 05:03 PM
Who are our PF for next year? Holman and Strugg? Holman is an elite recruit and I expect him to fill the 4 nicely. Does anyone know how if Strugg can backup Holman effectively?

ZedFedder
11-16-2015, 05:16 PM
Anyone with more knowledge than me, are we expecting Strugg to get processed or does Howland want to keep him around?

smootness
11-16-2015, 07:13 PM
Who are our PF for next year? Holman and Strugg? Holman is an elite recruit and I expect him to fill the 4 nicely. Does anyone know how if Strugg can backup Holman effectively?

I think you'll see two things:

1. Kegler playing the 4 a good bit. He can be a great stretch 4, so we'll probably play some smaller lineups with him there.

2. Ado and Herard on the court together some. They fill two different roles, and though it would clog the lane some on offense, it would make our post defense incredible for short stretches.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-16-2015, 08:26 PM
I expect us to add another PF in this class. If not I'd expect Houston to give a few minutes at the 4. I wouldn't expect to see much Ado & Herard together unless Ado really develops on offense because the paint would just be too crowded.