PDA

View Full Version : I'm actually pretty excited to HAVE to get back to basics next year in football...

CadaverDawg
11-15-2015, 10:02 PM
I feel like early in Dan's tenure, he was forced to focus on fundamentals and out coaching his superior opponents. This year and last year, Dak has allowed Mullen to get cuter than he ever has as a HC and he has developed a sense of "I'm calling this play because if it fails I have the talent to overcome it" mentality at times IMO.
Next year, he will have no choice but to develop a run game with a TRUE read option that focuses on the QB actually making the right READ. Instead of the "gotta show off my new toy, Dak, and prove to the Wirld he is an NFL QB". We will HAVE to be fundamentally sound in our run blocking, our RB's hitting right holes, and our QB making reads.

I feel like we have gotten away from our bread and butter due to last year's success and a great QB...so I think having to get back to our strengths may be a good thing for Dan Mullen as a coach, and MSU as a program. Somewhat of a refocusing. Not saying we will win a ton next year, but we will probably get back to more of what made Dan's offense great early on, and less worrying about reads, progressions, etc. We're not a minor league outfit...we're a SEC team, and I want us to get back to playing to win games...not improve draft stock & show progression.

Not sure if I expressed that correctly. And in no way am I saying I'm ready for Dak and others to leave. I just feel like this year has been more about "showing people" things we CAN do, instead of doing what it takes to win as many games as possible while scoring as many points as possible.

Taog Redloh
11-15-2015, 10:07 PM
Ya'll will find something else to complain about next season.

We couldn't stop Fournette and went retard on clock management against LSU, we fumbled going into the end zone multiple times at College Station, and Alabama is just better than us (and errrbody else). It's really that simple.

Just be happy that Dak isn't going out his senior season to a chorus of boos, like many others. That's a feat worth celebrating to me.

CadaverDawg
11-15-2015, 10:13 PM
Ya'll will find something else to complain about next season.

We couldn't stop Fournette and went retard on clock management against LSU, we fumbled going into the end zone multiple times at College Station, and Alabama is just better than us (and errrbody else). It's really that simple.

Just be happy that Dak isn't going out his senior season to a chorus of boos, like many others. That's a feat worth celebrating to me.

What?

Dak has been great. Did u intend to post this in a different thread?

Taog Redloh
11-15-2015, 10:22 PM
What?

Dak has been great. Did u intend to post this in a different thread?
No. The point is that we should feel very lucky that Dak's senior season did not turn out like pretty much every other MSU QB's senior seasons, instead of talking about all the crap that you think went wrong (basically all that stuff you posted).

CadaverDawg
11-15-2015, 10:31 PM
No. The point is that we should feel very lucky that Dak's senior season did not turn out like pretty much every other MSU QB's senior seasons, instead of talking about all the crap that you think went wrong (basically all that stuff you posted).

Umm, well feel free to start a thread about Dak's accomplishments...but that ain't what this one's about. We all know Dak is the best we've ever had.

Todd4State
11-15-2015, 10:41 PM
Actually, I think Dak is saving our ass big time this year and overcoming a LOT of Dan's short comings. Passing for 300 yards and rushing for 17 while getting sacked 9 times is pretty remarkable when you think about it.

Pollodawg
11-15-2015, 11:54 PM
And Goat's off his meds again......

mparkerfd20
11-16-2015, 09:37 AM
I could not agree with you more Cadaver. I have been thinking the same thing since early in the season when it was apparent that we weren't playing our normal style of football. Part of that is due to the worst OL we've had in years, but a lot of it is Dan's stubbornness.

sleepy dawg
11-16-2015, 10:00 AM
Yep, Shump is going to hit those holes much better next year***

Sorry, couldn't resist. Carry on.