PDA

View Full Version : Usually a crazy cliche question...

Tripp McNeely
11-15-2015, 10:30 AM
But might have some legitimacy today...if Bama had Dak, would they be leading the NFL East right now? Seriously think about it before you blow it off this year

Homedawg
11-15-2015, 10:43 AM
Is this a real question? No. Not even close.

msstate7
11-15-2015, 10:45 AM
The gap between college and pro is bigger than the Pacific Ocean

sleepy dawg
11-15-2015, 10:59 AM
But might have some legitimacy today...if Bama had Dak, would they be leading the NFL East right now? Seriously think about it before you blow it off this year

http://memesvault.com/wp-content/uploads/Hahaha-No-Meme-23.jpg

You could put Aaron Rodgers on Bama's team and they wouldn't win a game in the NFL.

BulldogBear
11-15-2015, 11:10 AM

This^

I would be shocked if each year's college national champion could score 20 points on the worst NFL team.

State82
11-15-2015, 11:14 AM

Yes it is.

dawgman
11-15-2015, 11:15 AM
They used to play a college All-Star game against a pro team every year in Soldier field and the college All-Stars rarely won

Quaoarsking
11-15-2015, 12:38 PM
A couple years ago, a Vegas guy analyzed both the NFL worst Jaguars and the national champion Alabama and said that if those two teams played, he'd set the line at Jags favored by 32. That would be the record for biggest NFL line ever.

TUSK
11-15-2015, 12:51 PM
A couple years ago, a Vegas guy analyzed both the NFL worst Jaguars and the national champion Alabama and said that if those two teams played, he'd set the line at Jags favored by 32. That would be the record for biggest NFL line ever.

good memory, Q... that was in 2013...

Leroy Jenkins
11-15-2015, 01:06 PM
A great college team has 5-6 NFL players each year, EVERY NFL team has 53 NFL players.

TUSK
11-15-2015, 01:42 PM
A great college team has 5-6 NFL players each year, EVERY NFL team has 53 NFL players.

This is correct... an NFL team has 3 or 4 times more "NFL caliber" players than Bama does... then when experience is considered, the disparity becomes a chasm...

It amuses me when my Bammer brethren even address the subject...

Tripp McNeely
11-15-2015, 02:01 PM

I get that, but when you look at Bama's roster, how many of their 85 AREN'T NFL players? Legit question. They're a different animal, especially this year.

TUSK
11-15-2015, 02:24 PM
I get that, but when you look at Bama's roster, how many of their 85 AREN'T NFL players? Legit question. They're a different animal, especially this year.

that's a really difficult question, but I took a WAG at it looking at the roster.

I think there may be >30 guys on the roster that have a shot at the next level... that number doesn't include FR yet to see the field...

msstate7
11-15-2015, 02:33 PM
As good as bama's defense is, it would get torched by a pro team. Bama's defense just isn't complex enough to fool nfl qb's. As good as bama's front 7 is vs the run, it would get pushed around in the nfl. There's a reason they call them professionals

Tripp McNeely
11-15-2015, 03:19 PM
As good as bama's defense is, it would get torched by a pro team. Bama's defense just isn't complex enough to fool nfl qb's. As good as bama's front 7 is vs the run, it would get pushed around in the nfl. There's a reason they call them professionals

I'm not talking about the Patriots...which NFC East team, with their roster "as is" on 11/15 would torch Bama's defense???

bulldawg28
11-15-2015, 03:27 PM
Any team in the East. Dude, come on they would torch Bama's secondary and run as well.
I'm not talking about the Patriots...which NFC East team, with their roster "as is" on 11/15 would torch Bama's defense???

TUSK
11-15-2015, 03:35 PM
I believe the Pickens County, AL All Star laser tag team could take out a 3rd BN USMC Infantry Squad in a live fire exercise...*

Seriously, MAYBE if you included about 7 to 10 Bama classes, you could field a an nfl team... but not with so many young guys, I don't think...

Note: I don't know a lot about NFL football...

msstate7
11-15-2015, 03:36 PM
Any team in the East. Dude, come on they would torch Bama's secondary and run as well.

Yep

Tripp McNeely
11-15-2015, 03:41 PM
Cowboys with no Tony Romo, a broke down Sam Bradford, Eli on his last legs...I'm still trying to figure out who would do it? It's an old cliche, that I've dismissed 1000 times myself...but break down Bama's team versus the teams in the East...in this, very specific hypo, it's not a crazy question

msstate7
11-15-2015, 03:43 PM
Cowboys with no Tony Romo, a broke down Sam Bradford, Eli on his last legs...I'm still trying to figure out who would do it? It's an old cliche, that I've dismissed 1000 times myself...but break down Bama's team versus the teams in the East...in this, very specific hypo, it's not a crazy question

Fine. The Cowboys have one of the better olines in the nfl... They'll make holes. Who will cover dez?

bulldawg28
11-15-2015, 03:51 PM
Fine. The Cowboys have one of the better olines in the nfl... They'll make holes. Who will cover dez?

Or Jason Witten? Bama couldn't block Dallas DL at all. It would be 10 times worst than Dak being sacked 9 times yesterday.

Tripp McNeely
11-15-2015, 03:53 PM
You think Doug f'n Free could make Bama's 2-deep?? You're picking the best guy on the Cowboys roster as your example??? Who on the Cowboys roster's gonna cover Ridley??

msstate7
11-15-2015, 03:56 PM
You think Doug f'n Free could make Bama's 2-deep?? You're picking the best guy on the Cowboys roster as your example??? Who on the Cowboys roster's gonna cover Ridley??

Dude, the complexity of an nfl defense would blow coker's mind. We were in the bama backfield all day, but couldn't tackle... What you think an nfl dline would do to bama's oline?

Tripp McNeely
11-15-2015, 03:58 PM
Or Jason Witten? Bama couldn't block Dallas DL at all. It would be 10 times worst than Dak being sacked 9 times yesterday.

I've watched every Cowboys snap this year. NJ and CJ are as good as anything the Cowboys are trotting out in their interior DL, and the Bama OL held up ok

Tripp McNeely
11-15-2015, 04:02 PM
Dude, the complexity of an nfl defense would blow coker's mind. We were in the bama backfield all day, but couldn't tackle... What you think an nfl dline would do to bama's oline?

If you think Jim Haslett's scheme is any more complicated than Kirby Smart's you haven't watched much Redskins football

msugolf
11-15-2015, 04:03 PM
I've watched every Cowboys snap this year. NJ and CJ are as good as anything the Cowboys are trotting out in their interior DL, and the Bama OL held up ok

I'm always amused by these types of hypotheticals because it really sorts out the people who have no grasp on sports and athletes in general.

msstate7
11-15-2015, 04:06 PM
If you think Jim Haslett's scheme is any more complicated than Kirby Smart's you haven't watched much Redskins football

The redskins held Drew Brees to 14 today. I'm sure Coker would light them up**

Tripp McNeely
11-15-2015, 04:08 PM
I'm always amused by these types of hypotheticals because it really sorts out the people who have no grasp on sports and athletes in general.

I've watched every Bama snap and every Comboys snap over the past 4 years. Again...I've used the same generalizations as you're trying to to defeat the same hypo I'm currently making...you think you sound smart with a wide, sweeping vague statement that you probably heard from some ESPN countdown talking head...I'm asking for some actual analysis...because I've done some

HoopsDawg
11-15-2015, 04:09 PM

Damn dude. I really wished I hadn't clicked on this thread.

Tripp McNeely
11-15-2015, 04:09 PM
The redskins held Drew Brees to 14 today. I'm sure Coker would light them up**

Probably not, but Henry'd probably run for 150 and two TDs for a 20-10 kind of score

Tripp McNeely
11-15-2015, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=msstate7;450357]Dude, the complexity of an nfl defense would blow coker's mind. We were in the bama backfield all day, but couldn't tackle... What you think an nfl dline would do to bama's oline?[/QUOTE

Again, original hypo is Bama "with Dak". Coker won't be able to read an NFL defense, Dak will

msugolf
11-15-2015, 04:25 PM
I've watched every Bama snap and every Comboys snap over the past 4 years. Again...I've used the same generalizations as you're trying to to defeat the same hypo I'm currently making...you think you sound smart with a wide, sweeping vague statement that you probably heard from some ESPN countdown talking head...I'm asking for some actual analysis...because I've done some

Congratulations on watching so much tv. I'm sure you've learned a lot in those 4 years of film watching. Fortunately, I didnt have to analyze that much film to know how it would turn out. I've played professional sports and have family who coach college football so I know the difference between a professional athlete and an amateur.

Tripp McNeely
11-15-2015, 05:33 PM
Congratulations on watching so much tv. I'm sure you've learned a lot in those 4 years of film watching. Fortunately, I didnt have to analyze that much film to know how it would turn out. I've played professional sports and have family who coach college football so I know the difference between a professional athlete and an amateur.

The flaw in your logic is that 75-80% (I'm being conservative) of Bama's roster will be pros in 3 years. If the MLB rule were in place, I would guess that around 50-60 on their roster would be on NFL rosters...add Dak to that

War Machine Dawg
11-15-2015, 05:39 PM
This^

I would be shocked if each year's college national champion could score 20 points on the worst NFL team.

20? You're really optimistic. I'd be shocked if they weren't shut out.

Remember people, every NFL player was the best of the best in college. Just like every college player was the best of the best in HS. The difference is the NFL guys have unlimited time to practice, study, and train/condition. Pick the worst NFL team and put them against an SEC All-Star team and you *might* get a competitive game. Even then I would doubt it.

smootness
11-15-2015, 05:55 PM
The flaw in your logic is that 75-80% (I'm being conservative) of Bama's roster will be pros in 3 years. If the MLB rule were in place, I would guess that around 50-60 on their roster would be on NFL rosters...add Dak to that

You're not taking into account the growth and maturity that comes with time and experience, among other things.

Bama would get absolutely SMASHED. I'm talking obliterated.

Remember Trent Richardson? Courtney Upshaw? Mark Barron? Rolando McClain? Dee Milliner? Dre Kirkpatrick? People assume all these Bama players will be studs in the NFL, but the reality is that while they have a ton of NFL players relative to other college teams, they don't necessarily have a ton of very good to great NFL players.

Guess how many 1st team All-Pro's Saban has produced at Bama? One - Marcel Dareus.

So you're talking about a good number of likely mediocre to decent NFL players...at ages 19-21. They would get run off the field, and insinuating otherwise is a joke.

The reason you think a team like the Redskins doesn't have good players is because they're playing against other NFL players.

This topic is a joke and doesn't deserve discussion. You should have stuck with your original thoughts on the idea.

Tripp McNeely
11-15-2015, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=smootness;450449You should have stuck with your original thoughts on the idea.[/QUOTE]

How have I changed?? Let me reiterate...Alabama, with Dakota Prescott as its starting QB would be leading the NFC East, as it is currently constructed on 11/15. I think you discount the maturity in the bodies of most of the players on Bama's roster versus 95% of the players in most D1 rosters. Bama has 5 pros at RB alone...you think any of those guys aren't "mature physically"? The truth to this argument is that Bama (and the terrible NFC East in this scenario) is the anomaly in this hypo. The generalizations that usually come with a scenario like this, admittedly, usually are silly. My hypo was very specific

smootness
11-15-2015, 07:00 PM
How have I changed?? Let me reiterate...Alabama, with Dakota Prescott as its starting QB would be leading the NFC East, as it is currently constructed on 11/15. I think you discount the maturity in the bodies of most of the players on Bama's roster versus 95% of the players in most D1 rosters. Bama has 5 pros at RB alone...you think any of those guys aren't "mature physically"? The truth to this argument is that Bama (and the terrible NFC East in this scenario) is the anomaly in this hypo. The generalizations that usually come with a scenario like this, admittedly, usually are silly. My hypo was very specific

It's just a dumb assertion. Sorry.

Let's look at it the other way and maybe it will illuminate it better for you. What would the Redskins' or Cowboys' record be we're they in the SEC? And if you don't think they'd be undefeated with an average margin of victory of about 70, you're absolutely insane.

You're talking about a team that, while very, very good at the college level, lost to Ole Miss and gave up 40+ in the process. That team would be leading an NFL division. I mean...

Tripp McNeely
11-15-2015, 07:50 PM
The reverse hypo has nothing to do with my argument. Bama is the exception to the rule in the SEC. The NFC East is less-than-mediocre and very homogeneous. ...and no, the Comboys (sans Romo and a 50% Dez) nor the Redskins would not beat a Dak-led Bama. Your second paragraph ignores a HUGE part of the scenario...Dak would not have turned the ball over against om 5 times with Bama's personnel

Quaoarsking
11-15-2015, 07:50 PM
Even if Alabama had 53 future NFL players (which is a stretch, but possible if you count all the redshirting freshmen and anyone who ever makes a training camp), and if some of those 53 were NFL stars (no guarantee of that), they are all way too young and underdeveloped. The 53 guys on the Browns today are way better now than they were in college.

Tripp McNeely
11-15-2015, 08:00 PM
Even if Alabama had 53 future NFL players (which is a stretch, but possible if you count all the redshirting freshmen and anyone who ever makes a training camp), and if some of those 53 were NFL stars (no guarantee of that), they are all way too young and underdeveloped. The 53 guys on the Browns today are way better now than they were in college.

I'm not talking about the players on our roster...you look at Derrick Henry, OJ Howard, Jonathan Allen, Ashawn Robinson, etc, etc, etc...how much more are those guys going to develop physically (versus where they are today) once they get to an NFL training camp??? They have NFL bodies today!

Quaoarsking
11-15-2015, 09:26 PM
I'm not talking about the players on our roster...you look at Derrick Henry, OJ Howard, Jonathan Allen, Ashawn Robinson, etc, etc, etc...how much more are those guys going to develop physically (versus where they are today) once they get to an NFL training camp??? They have NFL bodies today!

Every single one of those guys is going to be a much better player in 5 years.

All 32 starting NFL tight ends are better than OJ Howard today, but a lot of them weren't better college TEs than OJ Howard is now. Same goes for the rest of them.

RAYn_Man
11-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Forget leading a division, if Bama + Dak played 16 NFL games, would they win one? No.

CarolinaDawgs
11-15-2015, 09:53 PM

This guy is allowed to vote..

Tripp McNeely
11-15-2015, 10:07 PM
This guy is allowed to vote..

I have 2 doctorates actually.

Tripp McNeely
11-15-2015, 10:12 PM
Every single one of those guys is going to be a much better player in 5 years.

All 32 starting NFL tight ends are better than OJ Howard today, but a lot of them weren't better college TEs than OJ Howard is now. Same goes for the rest of them.

It's been mentioned earlier in this thread (not by me) that Bama players don't develop much once the hit the pros. The reasoning behind that is the obvious physical development during their time at Alabama. The cliche is that Bama players seem to regress once they leave (see Trent Richardson). The reality is that Saban recruits more "college ready" kids than, essentially every program in America, and their strength staff has them "NFL ready" after a year or 2 in the program

smootness
11-15-2015, 10:17 PM
Forget leading a division, if Bama + Dak played 16 NFL games, would they win one? No.

Completely agree.

Amari Cooper was one of the most complete, NFL-ready college WRs I've ever seen last year. He completely lit up the SEC. He has been extremely good for a rookie this year and is still almost certainly outside the top 10 NFL WRs right now.

Yet the Cowboys won't be able to cover true freshman Calvin Ridley?

Tripp, the reason you think Bama is so great is because they have future NFL players throughout their roster. That advantage is completely negated, obviously, once you're facing NFL teams. Except the NFL teams are comprised of 100% NFL players, they're current NFL players, and most of them are veterans who have improved immensely since joining the NFL.

Bama would get hammered, it really isn't a discussion.

You ask who is going to cover Calvin Ridley, yet the Cowboys have Morris Claiborne, who won the Thorpe Award and was a unanimous first-team All-American his junior year at LSU...4 years ago. He is certainly a better football player than he was then, and he was as good as it got at the college level then. You see a guy like Morris Claiborne and think, 'He's garbage,' because you've seen him in the NFL. Yet you assume all these Bama players will be great NFL players. It's ridiculous.

smootness
11-15-2015, 10:18 PM
It's been mentioned earlier in this thread (not by me) that Bama players don't develop much once the hit the pros. The reasoning behind that is the obvious physical development during their time at Alabama. The cliche is that Bama players seem to regress once they leave (see Trent Richardson). The reality is that Saban recruits more "college ready" kids than, essentially every program in America, and their strength staff has them "NFL ready" after a year or 2 in the program

Trent Richardson did not regress. He simply doesn't have any vision. This was masked at Alabama because vision didn't matter...the hole was always where it was supposed to be. Because Alabama was playing against college teams.

smootness
11-15-2015, 10:28 PM
Recent history suggests that in the average year, Bama will have 2-3 1st round picks, about 1 2nd round pick, maybe a 3rd round pick, then a handful of guys drafted in rounds 4+.

So in the average year, assuming most of the 1st and 2nd round picks leave early, Bama will have around 7 or 8 1st rounds picks, over half of which are probably 19-20 years old. Not even NFL rookies yet, who are still behind the curve...but actual teenagers. They'll have around 4 2nd round picks, a couple 3rd round picks, then a bunch of guys who are 4+ round picks.

And you're telling me that roster, at ages 19-21 instead of averaging 25 or 26, would beat any NFL team?

We're also overestimating the actual number of NFL players Bama has. The 2012 team won the national title and was arguably the best team Saban has had there. How many players from that team were eventually drafted into the NFL? So far 24, and they may get 4-5 seniors from this year's team drafted as well. So even being generous, you're probably talking about roughly 30 NFL players, over half of whom are drafted in rounds 4-7, on any single Bama team.

CarolinaDawgs
11-16-2015, 10:23 AM
I have 2 doctorates actually.

Dr. Who and Dr. Dolittle relax. Think about what you're saying.. you are educated. This is easy to assess.

dawgpound
11-16-2015, 11:22 AM
This question is asked all the time but the talent level at the NFL is far superior than the best college football team. The best players on college teams have a hard time making it in the NFL. It would not be close.