PDA

View Full Version : Hevesey

civildawg
11-15-2015, 09:09 AM
I don't understand the hate. For the most part of mullen's career here we have had a pretty good o line. Last year we had a really good o line. He didn't get bad at coaching all the sudden. We just don't have the horses. Now if you are blaming him for recruiting then yeah we have to get better at getting better players.

defiantdog
11-15-2015, 09:13 AM
9 sacks...... That's unacceptable

PassInterference
11-15-2015, 09:14 AM
Need to croot better. Crootin really picked up last year and those guys need time.

Gotta keep crootin better. Last year's improvement was just a start. Gotta do better.

civildawg
11-15-2015, 09:17 AM
9 sacks seems about right when your going up against the best dline in the country and they pin their ears back because they know you are going to pass

IMissJack
11-15-2015, 09:20 AM
I don't understand the hate. For the most part of mullen's career here we have had a pretty good o line. Last year we had a really good o line. He didn't get bad at coaching all the sudden. We just don't have the horses. Now if you are blaming him for recruiting then yeah we have to get better at getting better players.

Our lines in the past were helped by some pretty good backs, without that now, they are getting exposed. Also, we cannot wait for every third year when we have a bunch of 5th year players to be pretty good.

msstate7
11-15-2015, 09:21 AM
9 sacks...... That's unacceptable

Totally unacceptable... Dak and Dan must share some blame too. Dan has to roll Dak out some, call screens, and run quicker patterns. Dak has to just throw it away when protection isn't there.

defiantdog
11-15-2015, 09:24 AM
9 sacks seems about right when your going up against the best dline in the country and they pin their ears back because they know you are going to pass
They consistently beat us only rushing 4. And it's embarrassing that Warren is our best LT right now. He's awful. Desper isn't any better. At least throw Calhoun in there. That dude is mean. We need anger on the line. Not a bunch of marshmallows.

Coursesuper
11-15-2015, 09:49 AM

Last years line was a middle of the road sec line at best. When we played a team with a good Dline we got exposed badly. If we want to compete in our league really compete for championships this has got to get fixed.

civildawg
11-15-2015, 09:51 AM
I agree about angry o linemen. We need some more Dillon days

spudd21
11-15-2015, 09:59 AM
Totally unacceptable... Dak and Dan must share some blame too. Dan has to roll Dak out some, call screens, and run quicker patterns. Dak has to just throw it away when protection isn't there.

I agree with this, a few of those sacks were on Dak. He was given 3 and 4 seconds on quite a few of those sacks. You can only hold an elite dl for so long. He needed to put a few of those into the front row.

coastdoglover
11-15-2015, 10:41 AM
When you run 80+ plays you should find a way to score. They are afraid to run the option and I only remember it one time yesterday and we got about 5 yards. We have decent defensive line talent but we are pitiful on offense. I am not 100% sold on Hevesey but we sure showed yesterday how bad it is and I am afraid we may in the next two as well. A big strong fast running back would help too but there are no holes anywhere so it probably would not matter.

Coursesuper
11-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Spot on here. The type of back or how good he makes no difference when there is no place to run.

thf24
11-15-2015, 11:17 AM
The problem with o-line recruiting is that it's such a crapshoot. It's right up there with place kickers. There are only a handful of guys every year who are sure things, so I feel like everyone outside of perennial top 5 recruiters are going to have these issues occasionally. I think Dan and Hev's method of going after potential diamonds in the rough and low-exposure guys and depending on development has been the right approach for us at this point in time, but unfortunately it is going to result in weak years on the o-line sometimes.

IMissJack
11-15-2015, 11:35 AM
Spot on here. The type of back or how good he makes no difference when there is no place to run.

I disagree somewhat, I stated above we need upgrades at OL, but a back does make a difference. See Jerious Norwood and Anthony Dixon before Mullen got here.

Coursesuper
11-15-2015, 11:37 AM
The problem with o-line recruiting is that it's such a crapshoot. It's right up there with place kickers. There are only a handful of guys every year who are sure things, so I feel like everyone outside of perennial top 5 recruiters are going to have these issues occasionally. I think Dan and Hev's method of going after potential diamonds in the rough and low-exposure guys and depending on development has been the right approach for us at this point in time, but unfortunately it is going to result in weak years on the o-line sometimes.

This is only partially on the mark. The whole game revolves around the line, as long ad we continue along the course we are on we roll not compete at the highest levels. We can recruit the diamond in the rough at guard but to progress we must have tackles. The last good tackle we had was a croom recruit.

Political Hack
11-15-2015, 12:16 PM
It's the most sacks a Saban team has ever gotten. Against a mobile QB with great pocket presence. We ran about 90 plays, so about 10% of them ended with Dak on his back. Absolutely unacceptable. The thing that killed me is we didn't change anything to help him. Didn't run QB draws, RB draws, screens, fades, 3 step drops, etc...

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-15-2015, 12:17 PM
9 sacks is never about right.

MrKotter
11-15-2015, 12:37 PM
Hevesey needs to hit the road. Period

NCDawg
11-15-2015, 01:27 PM
Hevesey needs to hit the road. Period

I think most State fans agree, but I don't think he will leave until Mullen leaves. Similar situation that we had between our last HC and his OC.

HoopsDawg
11-15-2015, 01:29 PM

Mainly b/c his 2012/2013 recruiting probably cost us the SEC West.

PassInterference
11-15-2015, 01:40 PM
It's the most sacks a Saban team has ever gotten. Against a mobile QB with great pocket presence. We ran about 90 plays, so about 10% of them ended with Dak on his back. Absolutely unacceptable. The thing that killed me is we didn't change anything to help him. Didn't run QB draws, RB draws, screens, fades, 3 step drops, etc...

I agree. It's like we didn't game plan on offense. We knew what the OL-DL matchup would be like and did no planning to help ourselves.

RougeDawg
11-15-2015, 02:06 PM

What you say? Blasphemy!** Dan's play calling and Dak taking too long had nothing to do with the issues.

HoopsDawg
11-15-2015, 02:10 PM
. The thing that killed me is we didn't change anything to help him. Didn't run QB draws, RB draws, screens, fades, 3 step drops, etc...

Meh, to this post. Use screens to counter blitzes, Bama didn't have to blitz. RB draws? Seriously? That's just running into brick walls. We ran a ton of 3 step drops and had designed quick passes. We also ran QB draws. Nothing wrong with the game plan. Mullen did exactly what we had to do. Problem is, we are a run-oriented spread team. Due to our O-line and backs, we have tried to become pass heavy. I don't think Mullen's scheme is sophisticated enough from a passing standpoint to beat Alabama without being able to run.

Coach007
11-15-2015, 02:12 PM

We have had 1 year of a decent OL.. last year.

J Paul Ronvonski III
11-15-2015, 02:25 PM
We have had 1 year of a decent OL.. last year.

Agree. Most of those guys had been around a while last year. Maybe we should look at the Nebraska approach. In the past with Tom Osboune they would redshirt the OL they had recruited usually the sophomore year to let them mature and grow.

Coach007
11-15-2015, 02:49 PM
Agree. Most of those guys had been around a while last year. Maybe we should look at the Nebraska approach. In the past with Tom Osboune they would redshirt the OL they had recruited usually the sophomore year to let them mature and grow.

We just need to hire another OL Coach. Several recruits would not play for Hev.... From the horses mouths.

PendingTransaction
11-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Hev: poor recruiter and too much latitude in offense strategy and play calling.

djaymsu5
11-15-2015, 03:14 PM
Our lines in the past were helped by some pretty good backs, without that now, they are getting exposed. Also, we cannot wait for every third year when we have a bunch of 5th year players to be pretty good.

This^^^^^

ILOATHEBears
11-15-2015, 03:52 PM
We just need to hire another OL Coach. Several recruits would not play for Hev.... From the horses mouths.

When Hevesy leaves it will be because Dan has taken another job and Dan says pack your bags we are heading to xyz campus

NCDawg
11-15-2015, 04:13 PM
When Hevesy leaves it will be because Dan has taken another job and Dan says pack your bags we are heading to xyz campus

Hate to say it, but that's probably correct. Wherever Mullen goes, Hevesy goes. Good Yankee buddies.

mic
11-15-2015, 04:23 PM
Hev: poor recruiter and too much latitude in offense strategy and play calling.

To say Hev is a poor recruiter is an insult to poor recruiters..

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-15-2015, 04:42 PM
One of the biggest things that bothers me about this line is that I can count the number of times they have helped Dak up after a sack on one hand. There were 2 plays last night where the defender rolled and stayed on top of Dak and our o-line just sat there and watched. Somebody needs to step up and show some toughness and loyalty to their QB.

MetEdDawg
11-15-2015, 04:47 PM
I think I saw one guy with some genuine passion and that was Calhoun. Pretty sure he took some snaps when the game was still within reach and we didn't convert on a 3rd down and I remember them showing him on tv and he was genuinely pissed about missing the conversion. Seems like the other guys just kind of trot off when we don't convert. But Calhoun didn't. He was just not happy and visibly upset. He's got some passion and some fire and I think he's going to be a good one next year.

That being said, I agree completely that our OL needs an attitude overhaul. Senior's lack of fire and leadership on the field has been surprising. He's gotten beat a bunch of times and has been the one to stand there and not help Dak up numerous times. He should be better than that.