PDA

View Full Version : 3 games left in the Prescott era...

CadaverDawg
11-15-2015, 01:31 AM
What are your expectations in the last 3 games?

Do we need to win 2 more counting the bowl game for you to deem this season a success? Is one more win a successful year? What if we lose the next 3? Does the Egg Bowl need to be our win if we only win 1 more?

Tell me how you define a successful season in these last 3 games, AND if you would consider our first 10 games a success so far, a failure to meet expectations, or about what you expected. Take into account how good teams ended up being...not based only on your preseason prediction for record.

I'm just curious what people think about the 10 we've played, and how you guys expect we finish the last 3.

msstate7
11-15-2015, 01:35 AM
I don't think we've really been successful or unsuccessful so far... We've done what we should and nothing more, nothing less IMO.

To be a successful season, we need 9 wins. It can include the bowl, but must include the egg.

TimberBeast
11-15-2015, 01:43 AM
I don't think we've really been successful or unsuccessful so far... We've done what we should and nothing more, nothing less IMO.

To be a successful season, we need 9 wins. It can include the bowl, but must include the egg.

Exactly, this is apathy, and that's where we are.

Dawg61
11-15-2015, 01:51 AM
Dak has broken us through to the next level. Now we are standing here and don't know how to get to the top and stay there. The next level can only be reached by the entire team raising its play. It can't be reached by only a select few carrying the rest.

Todd4State
11-15-2015, 01:59 AM

I think this is where I am. Maybe slightly higher- I want 10 wins which we can only do by winning out.

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2015, 08:28 AM

Totally agree. And it isn't apathy, it's understanding that building to a championship level is a process that may mean your stuck at plateaus for a couple of years. It took 5 years to get us to last year and this year. It may take 3-4 years of 9-10 win years to get us to that next level. There may even be a year that drops to 7-8 wins. I'm ok with that, because I want a program that is successful long term.

Dawgface
11-15-2015, 08:44 AM

Agree.

Blackout
11-15-2015, 08:53 AM
Totally agree. And it isn't apathy, it's understanding that building to a championship level is a process that may mean your stuck at plateaus for a couple of years. It took 5 years to get us to last year and this year. It may take 3-4 years of 9-10 win years to get us to that next level. There may even be a year that drops to 7-8 wins. I'm ok with that, because I want a program that is successful long term.

Wrong!!! You know why it's wrong.... Because it's clear and evident that there was NO EXCUSE for losing to LSU and A&M. Okay let's concede the Bama loss, with THIS PERSONNEL and THIS QB every other game on the schedule should be won by a competent coach. Personnel and coaching lost vs LSU (hello Shump, hello delay of game, where are you playmaking safties).. Coaching (or lack thereof) lost us college station.

A 1 loss MSU team to Alabama likely gets us in the CFP. Everyone else is dropping like flies. Enough excuses. It doesn't take two decades. That platitude and meme sounds good and all but the fact is we lost two games that SHOULD HAVE BEEN WON and would have gotten us into the playoff THIS YEAR. We don't maximize our potential under Mullen because he is below average in-game.

Johnson85
11-15-2015, 09:07 AM
Success would be winning the next two. Losing to Arkansas and beating um would be adequate. That would be avoiding any bad losses and winning the ones were supposed to. Dan's MO, he's just gotten us to the point where we can actually be favored in 8, which is still a pretty good accomplishment.

A bowl game win or loss can help, but if we slip to 7-5, a bowl win won't make that medicine go down smoother.

Liverpooldawg
11-15-2015, 09:22 AM
The year has to be considered a success so far. It's not as big a success as we had hoped but considering what the offensive line turned out to be we have done amazingly well. If you had told me at the start of the season we would be sitting at 7-3 while having virtually no running game I wouldn't have believed you. If we get to 8 or 9 wins that would be quite an accomplishment. I think we will win one of these last two, with the home game being the most likely win. The bowl game would depend on the match up. That we are to a point where we have a negative uproar about being 7-3 in a rebuilding phase tells you just how far the program has come. If we can keep it at this level the bigger years, like last year and better, will come. THE key is to maintain the WINNING base level that we have now established.

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2015, 09:23 AM
Wrong!!! You know why it's wrong.... Because it's clear and evident that there was NO EXCUSE for losing to LSU and A&M. Okay let's concede the Bama loss, with THIS PERSONNEL and THIS QB every other game on the schedule should be won by a competent coach. Personnel and coaching lost vs LSU (hello Shump, hello delay of game, where are you playmaking safties).. Coaching (or lack thereof) lost us college station.

A 1 loss MSU team to Alabama likely gets us in the CFP. Everyone else is dropping like flies. Enough excuses. It doesn't take two decades. That platitude and meme sounds good and all but the fact is we lost two games that SHOULD HAVE BEEN WON and would have gotten us into the playoff THIS YEAR. We don't maximize our potential under Mullen because he is below average in-game.
It's not wrong, it's understanding that we aren't at that level yet. We've moved from fighting for bowl eligibility 2 years ago to fighting (by your analysis) for National Titles. At what level is that below average when you have at least 2 National Title contenders in your own division?? When, in the history of our program, can you ever point to Being in a similar position? Are there improvements to be made to get to the next level? Damn straight. But, this whole Ricky Bobby attitude many of our fans seem to have gotten from one 10 win season is ridiculous and unrealistic and makes us sound like a bunch of whiny bitch OM fans.

msstate7
11-15-2015, 09:28 AM
It's not wrong, it's understanding that we aren't at that level yet. We've moved from fighting for bowl eligibility 2 years ago to fighting (by your analysis) for National Titles. At what level is that below average when you have at least 2 National Title contenders in your own division?? When, in the history of our program, can you ever point to Being in a similar position? Are there improvements to be made to get to the next level? Damn straight. But, this whole Ricky Bobby attitude many of our fans seem to have gotten from one 10 win season is ridiculous and unrealistic and makes us sound like a bunch of whiny bitch OM fans.

Since the divisions in the sec (1992), we have 2 10 win seasons and 11 bowl games. Dan has one of the 10 win seasons and 4 of the 11 bowls. Oh and Mullen has done it with the sec west at its pinnacle

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2015, 09:33 AM
Since the divisions in the sec (1992), we have 2 10 win seasons and 11 bowl games. Dan has one of the 10 win seasons and 4 of the 11 bowls. Oh and Mullen has done it with the sec west at its pinnacle
Dan has 5 bowls.

msstate7
11-15-2015, 09:34 AM
Dan has 5 bowls.

Yeah, typo. Thanks

Blackout
11-15-2015, 09:34 AM
The year has to be considered a success so far

Lol

Blackout
11-15-2015, 09:39 AM
Why can Clemson do it and not us? They win more because their schedule is overall weaker but this year an undefeated Clemson equals a 1 loss MSU.

thejunction1977
11-15-2015, 09:47 AM
Right now, I just want to win the Egg Bowl

Real bad

preachermatt83
11-15-2015, 10:08 AM
Right now, I just want to win the Egg Bowl

Real bad

This!

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2015, 10:13 AM
Why can Clemson do it and not us? They win more because their schedule is overall weaker but this year an undefeated Clemson equals a 1 loss MSU.
That is not an apt comparison. they are in their 5th straight 10 win season, and have been the second best ACC program over the past 20 years. They've been to bowls for 15 straight years and 18 in 20. People undersell Clemson because they "Clemson". Other than "we shit the bed in big games like Clemson" what is your point?

sleepy dawg
11-15-2015, 10:17 AM

Everyone makes mistakes, and we are no exception. LSU had 2 major plays called back because of holding which had nothing to do with where the play was going in that game. Because of their mistakes we were even in the game. If you take away every mistake we make, you have to take away theirs too.

sleepy dawg
11-15-2015, 10:19 AM
What are your expectations in the last 3 games?

Do we need to win 2 more counting the bowl game for you to deem this season a success? Is one more win a successful year? What if we lose the next 3? Does the Egg Bowl need to be our win if we only win 1 more?

Tell me how you define a successful season in these last 3 games, AND if you would consider our first 10 games a success so far, a failure to meet expectations, or about what you expected. Take into account how good teams ended up being...not based only on your preseason prediction for record.

I'm just curious what people think about the 10 we've played, and how you guys expect we finish the last 3.

I expect we'll win 1 or 2 of the next 3... Hard to say exactly without knowing who we'll be playing in that 3rd game.

But 2 wins including the bowl game is required to be successful. 1 win to be a decent season.

Blackout
11-15-2015, 10:24 AM
That is not an apt comparison. they are in their 5th straight 10 win season, and have been the second best ACC program over the past 20 years. They've been to bowls for 15 straight years and 18 in 20. People undersell Clemson because they "Clemson". Other than "we shit the bed in big games like Clemson" what is your point?

Point is Dabo > Mullen. Agree a 10 win Clemson is like an 8-9 win MSU with their conference although they do have USCe every year too.

This should have been the year we jump to 11 wins just like it looks like clemsons year to jump to 12. Dan can't step up though. He never will. This was the year and we blew it in our first two losses not due to less talent but bad game plans.

CadaverDawg
11-15-2015, 10:33 AM
The year has to be considered a success so far.

No wonder we can't agree on anything.

Had AU, Mizzou, & even Kentucky been what they were supposed to be....maybe. But right now our best win is USM.

And we've got our best QB in history, best WR group in history, and our defense has been great. Where are you coming up with this "rebuilding year" stuff? Just because our OL turns out to suck & we lost a few guys on that line, doesn't make this a "rebuilding year" for the team. You aren't ever going to have Seniors across the board playing, and if you ever do, every other year can't be considered a "rebuilding year". You only get kids for 4 years...not a lot of "rebuild" time. If Dak's Senior year is a "rebuilding year", I'd hate to know what next year will be when we lose Dak, Redmond, Calhoun, Ryan Brown, likely Chris Jones, likely Bear, etc.

Pinto
11-15-2015, 10:36 AM
If we lose out (4 game skid) what does that do to Daks legacy and does that mean the program has regressed? Would Mullen deserve a fourth year on contract?

CadaverDawg
11-15-2015, 10:39 AM
I expect we'll win 1 or 2 of the next 3... Hard to say exactly without knowing who we'll be playing in that 3rd game.

But 2 wins including the bowl game is required to be successful. 1 win to be a decent season.

I agree with this.

We can't help it that Auburn & Mizzou suck and were supposed to be good. But that made games like LSU & A&M games we should have won, because now we really don't have a single "good win" on our resume. I think the last 3 games would all be considered "good wins", which would make me feel a lot better about our season. I just don't want to look back at a 7-5 or 8-5 (Bowl win over meh team) and have to call a season with our best win being USM, "successful". So I agree with you totally, let's win 2 of 3 to finish the year and I'll easily call it a successful year.

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2015, 10:41 AM
Point is Dabo > Mullen. Agree a 10 win Clemson is like an 8-9 win MSU with their conference although they do have USCe every year too.

This should have been the year we jump to 11 wins just like it looks like clemsons year to jump to 12. Dan can't step up though. He never will. This was the year and we blew it in our first two losses not due to less talent but bad game plans.
This is so full of fail. If Dabo is better than Dan, then 10 win Clemson can't be equal to 8/9 win MSU. But if it is, what does that make 10 win MSU - natty at Clemson??? If anything it shows that Dan, like Dabo, given time can get over the hump and stop "Clemsoning".

Anybody who thought THIS year was the year we jump to 11-12 win is exactly the Ricky Bobby type BS fans I was talking about earlier. "We won, but if we aren't first, we're last." According to every BS analyst in the country we should have expected 6-7 wins this year - because of our OL in particular. And we have a strong chance at 10 wins. But since we ain't first, we're last. Go root for Bama, because you'll never be happy rooting for MSU.

sleepy dawg
11-15-2015, 10:44 AM
I agree with this.

We can't help it that Auburn & Mizzou suck and were supposed to be good. But that made games like LSU & A&M games we should have won, because now we really don't have a single "good win" on our resume. I think the last 3 games would all be considered "good wins", which would make me feel a lot better about our season. I just don't want to look back at a 7-5 or 8-5 (Bowl win over meh team) and have to call a season with our best win being USM, "successful". So I agree with you totally, let's win 2 of 3 to finish the year and I'll easily call it a successful year.

I'll still put our record up against just about any other team with the same record but not in the SEC West.

CadaverDawg
11-15-2015, 10:48 AM
This is so full of fail. If Dabo is better than Dan, then 10 win Clemson can't be equal to 8/9 win MSU. But if it is, what does that make 10 win MSU - natty at Clemson??? If anything it shows that Dan, like Dabo, given time can get over the hump and stop "Clemsoning".

Anybody who thought THIS year was the year we jump to 11-12 win is exactly the Ricky Bobby type BS fans I was talking about earlier. "We won, but if we aren't first, we're last." According to every BS analyst in the country we should have expected 6-7 wins this year - because of our OL in particular. And we have a strong chance at 10 wins. But since we ain't first, we're last. Go root for Bama, because you'll never be happy rooting for MSU.

I'm not disagreeing with your whole post...but surely you aren't trying to say that the preseason 7-5 predictions by the media are determining our success are you? Even after Auburn, Mizzou, and Kentucky all turned out to suck? That 7-5 even by media standards, should have immediately jumped to 8-9 wins easily when Auburn & Mizzou crumbled early.

Not saying anything about the rest of your post, because I agree with some of it....but our entire fan base knew we were better than 7-5 preseason....so we can't go reverting to media predictions that we disagreed with, to determine "success" this season....especially when AU & Mizzou became easy wins that weren't expected preseason. You can't always go by record. We could finish 8-4 or 9-3, and I could show you 6 & 7 win seasons under Mullen that were more "successful", because the schedule was tougher and we had better wins & better losses. Ya know what I mean?

CadaverDawg
11-15-2015, 10:50 AM
I'll still put our record up against just about any other team with the same record but not in the SEC West.

Yea, I would agree with that too.

It's a shame our OL & RB's let us down like they did. You add a decent line & a decent RB...we are sitting at 9-1 with a chance at being the 2nd SEC playoff team, IMO.

Todd4State
11-15-2015, 10:54 AM
I'm not disagreeing with your whole post...but surely you aren't trying to say that the preseason 7-5 predictions by the media are determining our success are you? Even after Auburn, Mizzou, and Kentucky all turned out to suck? That 7-5 even by media standards, should have immediately jumped to 8-9 wins easily when Auburn & Mizzou crumbled early.

Not saying anything about the rest of your post, because I agree with some of it....but our entire fan base knew we were better than 7-5 preseason....so we can't go reverting to media predictions that we disagreed with, to determine "success" this season....especially when AU & Mizzou became easy wins that weren't expected preseason. You can't always go by record. We could finish 8-4 or 9-3, and I could show you 6 & 7 win seasons under Mullen that were more "successful", because the schedule was tougher and we had better wins & better losses. Ya know what I mean?

No he doesn't get it because that's how I explained that a 9 win season could be considered unsuccessful for us. Who you beat matters and we haven't defeated anyone elite.

Todd4State
11-15-2015, 10:55 AM

It's a shame our OL & RB's let us down like they did. You add a decent line & a decent RB...we are sitting at 9-1 with a chance at being the 2nd SEC playoff team, IMO.
Makes me sick. And don't even talk about LSU game management.

sleepy dawg
11-15-2015, 10:56 AM

Yep... I think most people agree with this. I think all of our differing opinions stem from how we feel about that. I think some are pissed that we weren't better there (whether it's coaches fault or players fault), while others have accepted it and readjusted.

Blackout
11-15-2015, 10:57 AM
No he doesn't get it because that's how I explained that a 9 win season could be considered unsuccessful for us. Who you beat matters and we haven't defeated anyone elite.

Exactly and HOW you lose too. The only elite team we played trashed us. The other two losses look worse and worse by the day.

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2015, 10:58 AM

No - I am talking more about recognizing our weaknesses and that it was something others recognized as a major issue for us if we were going to repeat last years success - let alone make the jump to an 11-12 win year. I would not consider a 7 win season a success. While I want 14 wins, I'd consider 9 wins this year a successful season.

Blackout
11-15-2015, 10:59 AM
No - I am talking more about recognizing our weaknesses and that it was something others recognized as a major issue for us if we were going to repeat last years success - let alone make the jump to an 11-12 win year. I would not consider a 7 win season a success. While I want 14 wins, I'd consider 9 wins this year a successful season.

Because we only beat teams we are supposed to beat? With the best QB and WR ever in school history and a solid D. Whatever, I expect more.

BulldogBear
11-15-2015, 11:03 AM
I agree with this.

Both good post imo.

As to your op Cad,
I feel like winning two of the next three, including the the Egg is what I expect. That would be holding serve for Dak's final year.
Success would be to win out and have another 10-3 season with a team not as good as last season, also winning 10 games in btb seasons for first time ever.
I feel like losing 2 of 3 would be underachieving when we have a Dak.
7-6 would complete and utter failure and actually unacceptable.

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2015, 11:05 AM
Oh I get it. By your logic, when Ole Miss finishes 7-6, and we finish 10-3, their season will be better because they beat Bama and A&M and we didn't. And our 5-7 year was better than this year because we played the 4th hardest schedule in the country.

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Because we only beat teams we are supposed to beat? With the best QB and WR ever in school history and a solid D. Whatever, I expect more.
How many other years have we been in a position to "supposed to beat" 10 teams on our schedule?? But OM beat Bama!!!!***

CadaverDawg
11-15-2015, 11:17 AM
How many other years have we been in a position to "supposed to beat" 10 teams on our schedule?? But OM beat Bama!!!!***

Why are you bringing up Ole Miss? They've failed this season. Regardless of how they finish or who they beat...that talent had no reason losing to Arjansas or Memphis. They failed.

Realist
11-15-2015, 11:24 AM
I think we lose the next 2. Depending on who we get in the bowl (if they have a pulse) we probably lose that also. If that is how it unfolds, the year is not a success ? there is nothing approaching a good win. This season will solidify the opinion that last year was a fluke ? we are not near the ?next level.? We are back to the bottom.

I do not agree with the opinions that Dan can do no wrong. There are years of average to poor recruiting, poor coaching (including the assistants) and poor game plans ? that is Dan. We have an average coach with average coaching personnel and players in a conference that?s hardly average.

Dan was not responsible for Utah and Florida ? Urban was. Dan needs to grow up and accept that and create his own legacy.

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2015, 11:27 AM
Why are you bringing up Ole Miss? They've failed this season. Regardless of how they finish or who they beat...that talent had no reason losing to Arjansas or Memphis. They failed.
Because they beat an elite team, and according to Todd that is the measure of a successful season.

msstate7
11-15-2015, 11:31 AM
I think we lose the next 2. Depending on who we get in the bowl (if they have a pulse) we probably lose that also. If that is how it unfolds, the year is not a success ? there is nothing approaching a good win. This season will solidify the opinion that last year was a fluke ? we are not near the ?next level.? We are back to the bottom.

I do not agree with the opinions that Dan can do no wrong. There are years of average to poor recruiting, poor coaching (including the assistants) and poor game plans ? that is Dan. We have an average coach with average coaching personnel and players in a conference that?s hardly average.

Dan was not responsible for Utah and Florida ? Urban was. Dan needs to grow up and accept that and create his own legacy.

3 posts and all 3 rip us.

Solid use of ?s

tcdog70
11-15-2015, 11:32 AM
MHO, if we beat the Rebs then we have had a good season. If we lose the next two then the season sucks. With Dak we should win both but the Hogs are playing great and it will be tough to beat them at their place.

The nine sacks are totally Dans fault. Most Coaches would have dropped a back and a TE back for Max protection. Why Dan never moved the pocket and gave Dak the option to run is beyond Me. As much as Dak has improved he still can not throw a fade. It is a hard pill to swallow that our defense looked dominant most of the game but give up 3 huge plays. Bama never drove the ball down the field. I don't care who we play to not score a TD when you have the best QB and Wrs in the SEC is pitiful.First down on the four, put your 230 lb QB under center and sneak it 4 times. By snapping it to him him in the gun allows the ends to crash and tackle Him for a loss, they can't do that if he is under center. I would love to see how Dak could operate with a real fullback.

Todd4State
11-15-2015, 11:34 AM
Oh I get it. By your logic, when Ole Miss finishes 7-6, and we finish 10-3, their season will be better because they beat Bama and A&M and we didn't. And our 5-7 year was better than this year because we played the 4th hardest schedule in the country.

No- it's the WHOLE body of work. If we beat Alabama but lost to Troy that would cancel each other out. Way to try grasp at straws. You have to look at all factors including schedule, how we played, and how good the opponents are. You can't cherry pick like you did and properly evaluate a team.

Todd4State
11-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Because they beat an elite team, and according to Todd that is the measure of a successful season.

Moron. What's more impressive? Going 12-0 against C-USA vs with one power five win over a SEC team or going 12-0 in the SEC? It's the same difference and why Memphis wouldn't have gone to the final four playoff round had they won out.

WHO YOU BEAT MATTERS!

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2015, 11:56 AM
Moron. What's more impressive? Going 12-0 against C-USA vs with one power five win over a SEC team or going 12-0 in the SEC? It's the same difference and why Memphis wouldn't have gone to the final four playoff round had they won out.

WHO YOU BEAT MATTERS!
Whole body of work argument only really matters in the fight for the 4 playoff spots, nothing else. We aren't at that level, so it is a moot point. In the scheme of the SEC and bowls it doesn't matter. If we finish 9-3, it won't impact what bowl we play in.

If I didn't know better I'd say you are arguing "State is only good because the SEC is down."

Political Hack
11-15-2015, 12:18 PM
9 wins is a good season if it includes the egg.

Todd4State
11-15-2015, 12:37 PM
Whole body of work argument only really matters in the fight for the 4 playoff spots, nothing else. We aren't at that level, so it is a moot point. In the scheme of the SEC and bowls it doesn't matter. If we finish 9-3, it won't impact what bowl we play in.

If I didn't know better I'd say you are arguing "State is only good because the SEC is down."

So, if we're not fighting for a playoff spot we shouldn't care how our season turns out? You're being ridiculous now.

And yes we have a good record because the best teams we have beat are in C-USA. Kentucky, Auburn, and Mizzou are all train wrecks right now. I don't see how you could argue differently. We would be 5-4 with LT scheduling right now. Truth hurts.

Blackout
11-15-2015, 12:42 PM
We aren't at that level, so it is a moot point.

It's a self fulfilling prophecy with you. If Mullen keeps shitting the bed in big games we will never be there

Dawgtini
11-15-2015, 12:43 PM
This all day. I want 15-0, but it may take 4-5 years of 9-11 win seasons to get there. So much better as a program than we have ever been since I started caring in the 70s.

basedog
11-15-2015, 01:06 PM
So, if we're not fighting for a playoff spot we shouldn't care how our season turns out? You're being ridiculous now.

And yes we have a good record because the best teams we have beat are in C-USA. Kentucky, Auburn, and Mizzou are all train wrecks right now. I don't see how you could argue differently. We would be 5-4 with LT scheduling right now. Truth hurts.

The truth is we beat who we were suppose to beat, what the hell are we suppose to do because of the schedule, Ky, Mizz and Auburn are still Sec teams. I never understand the statement, "well we haven't beaten anybody", when you are winning who cares know if we get beat different story. We are still ranked 25th by Coaches poll, they must think we are ok.

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2015, 01:15 PM

So you want to go back to LT giving us no shot at bowls, but say Sticklin was stupid for scheduling OSU?? Stay consistent man. You seem to want to be 5-4 so you have a better argument to move to another coach - which sounds like the definition of what Liverpool was spouting about "old MSU". Again - what you say above is "the only reason we are good is the SEC is down".

Maroonthirteen
11-15-2015, 02:15 PM
Arkansas will win 38-14.
The egg bowl is a toss up. I'll say State wins 17-14.

For me the season hinges on the EB.

Bullmutt
11-15-2015, 07:24 PM
I predicted during the summer (in a thread asking what everyone's prediction was as to what our record this year would be) we would go 9-3, and I'll stay with that. It would be interesting, if anyone wants to go to the trouble, to go back and re-examine that thread and make note of what various people's predictions were. If memory serves, the general consensus was that we would win 8 or 9 games. I would also wager that many who predicted 8 or 9 wins are now among those who are pissed that we seem destined to win the same number of games they predicted we would. I seem to recall quite a few who said we would be a 7 win team with the players we had coming back. I guess being right about some things sucks.

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2015, 07:54 PM
I predicted during the summer (in a thread asking what everyone's prediction was as to what our record this year would be) we would go 9-3, and I'll stay with that. It would be interesting, if anyone wants to go to the trouble, to go back and re-examine that thread and make note of what various people's predictions were. If memory serves, the general consensus was that we would win 8 or 9 games. I would also wager that many who predicted 8 or 9 wins are now among those who are pissed that we seem destined to win the same number of games they predicted we would. I seem to recall quite a few who said we would be a 7 win team with the players we had coming back. I guess being right about some things sucks.
I am pretty sure you are dead on there. FYI - I said 12-0 - reason being we have to set that as an expectation, and that I felt for the first time if we played to potential and things broke right it could happen. If you look through a couple of threads this past week I even said things about us making a run to end the season and shocking the world. It sucks to be wrong, and not where I would like things to be. I still think the program overall is advancing, Dan will continue to make changes (people need to stop acting like he hasn't made any over 7 years) and next year has potential. Now, if we lose out and look like shit, we can re-evaluate those things. Even then, Dan gets an opportunity to make improvements before I start thinking he can't get it done.

CadaverDawg
11-15-2015, 07:59 PM

If you had guaranteed everybody that Auburn, Mizzou, and Kentucky would all suck...and that A&M, LSU, and Ole Miss would all lose 2+ games before November 15th...I bet those 7 win predictions would have immediately changed to 9-10.

I think I predicted 8 wins...but if I woulda known Auburn & Mizzou would suck this bad, and that A&M would go train wreck at some point, I would have predicted 9-10 wins.

What you're saying is about the equivalent To calling people out for predicting Bama to go 13-1, and Saban leaving after 1 game to go to the NFL and so they finish 8-4. Things change.

For example, If I predict 6 wins thinking the schedule will be tough, and then 4 of the teams I thought we'd lose to end up sucking, but we still lose to them...that doesn't mean we met my expectations.

Right now, if we had beaten A&M and played Bama to within 14-ish points...I would feel we were right on schedule. But we lost to two teams in A&M & LSU that were not better than us IMO. So I feel we haven't succeeded thus far. When you look back at our last year and a half....the last time we beat a "really good" team, was Auburn of 2014. Think about that. And even Auburn ended up losing like 4-5 games last year. When was the last time we beat a team that finished with 3 or less losses on the year?

And I'm not saying that to try and jump on Dan. He's done great. I do not want to lose him. He is simply doing things previous coaches haven't....winning most of the games we should win. And that's great...but with our best QB in history returning, many were expecting a little more than wins over 6-6/7-5 at best teams. He'll have a shot to accomplish that the next 3 games, and I think we can win a few.

Todd4State
11-15-2015, 08:03 PM
So you want to go back to LT giving us no shot at bowls, but say Sticklin was stupid for scheduling OSU?? Stay consistent man. You seem to want to be 5-4 so you have a better argument to move to another coach - which sounds like the definition of what Liverpool was spouting about "old MSU". Again - what you say above is "the only reason we are good is the SEC is down".

Where did I say we should schedule more difficult opponents anywhere? I'm glad we beat who we are supposed to. I'm consistently saying we haven't beaten anyone worth a damn. I'm saying 9-3 MSU 1980 was a better season than 9-3 2015 because of who they beat. Not hard. Except for you apparently.

Todd4State
11-15-2015, 08:07 PM
The truth is we beat who we were suppose to beat, what the hell are we suppose to do because of the schedule, Ky, Mizz and Auburn are still Sec teams. I never understand the statement, "well we haven't beaten anybody", when you are winning who cares know if we get beat different story. We are still ranked 25th by Coaches poll, they must think we are ok.

I'm glad we beat who we are supposed to. It would be nice if Dan had at least one major win over a team that is as good or better than us. Until then he is judged as he is.

basedog
11-15-2015, 08:23 PM
I'm glad we beat who we are supposed to. It would be nice if Dan had at least one major win over a team that is as good or better than us. Until then he is judged as he is.

I think we've beaten some teams under Mullen that had better talent than us. Seems to me over the last few years we are getting better, being 25-6 is a good sign.

Bama makes a bunch of teams look bad, they make it look easy. I think there front four was the best I've seen in many years and yes I realize how o line isn't that good. But they were so discipline in their scheme and they just didn't make mistakes, great team unity and playing as a team.

Coach34
11-15-2015, 08:24 PM
an Egg Bowl loss at home and this season becomes a disaster

BrunswickDawg
11-15-2015, 08:25 PM

Where did I say we should schedule more difficult opponents anywhere? I'm glad we beat who we are supposed to. I'm consistently saying we haven't beaten anyone worth a damn. I'm saying 9-3 MSU 1980 was a better season than 9-3 2015 because of who they beat. Not hard. Except for you apparently.
So what part of "We would be 5-4 with LT scheduling right now" doesn't imply that if LT was scheduling our OOC making us "tough outs" for GT and WV, etc our crappy 5-4 record would be a better season than "not beating anyone" this year. Now if you had made the comparison straight off of '80 is better than '15, I'd be inclined to agree with you - for that same reason. But that is not what you threw out for comparison.

Bullmutt
11-15-2015, 08:28 PM
If you had guaranteed everybody that Auburn, Mizzou, and Kentucky would all suck...and that A&M, LSU, and Ole Miss would all lose 2+ games before November 15th...I bet those 7 win predictions would have immediately changed to 9-10.

I think I predicted 8 wins...but if I woulda known Auburn & Mizzou would suck this bad, and that A&M would go train wreck at some point, I would have predicted 9-10 wins.

What you're saying is about the equivalent To calling people out for predicting Bama to go 13-1, and Saban leaving after 1 game to go to the NFL and so they finish 8-4. Things change. For example, If I predict 6 wins thinking the schedule will be tough, and then 4 of the teams I thought we'd lose to end up sucking, but we still lose to them...that doesn't mean we met my expectations.

Right now, if we had beaten A&M and played Bama to within 14-ish points...I would feel we were right on schedule. But we lost to two teams in A&M & LSU that were not better than us IMO. So I feel we haven't succeeded thus far. When you look back at our last year and a half....the last time we beat a "really good" team, was Auburn of 2014. Think about that. And even Auburn ended up losing like 4-5 games last year. When was the last time we beat a team that finished with 3 or less losses on the year?

And I'm not saying that to try and jump on Dan. He's done great. I do not want to lose him. He is simply doing things previous coaches haven't....winning most of the games we should win. And that's great...but with our best QB in history returning, many were expecting a little more than wins over 6-6/7-5 at best teams. He'll have a shot to accomplish that the next 3 games, and I think we can win a few.

Point taken, CD. I was actually including myself in the "being right sucks" category; I hopped aboard the 10-11 win train myself at one point.

Todd4State
11-15-2015, 09:18 PM
So what part of "We would be 5-4 with LT scheduling right now" doesn't imply that if LT was scheduling our OOC making us "tough outs" for GT and WV, etc our crappy 5-4 record would be a better season than "not beating anyone" this year. Now if you had made the comparison straight off of '80 is better than '15, I'd be inclined to agree with you - for that same reason. But that is not what you threw out for comparison.

My comparison said that IF this team played a LT schedule our record would be worse than it is now. Very simple.

I didn't say 5-4 with LT schedule would be "better"- but it would basically be about the same as what we have accomplished this year thus far BASED ON THE BODY OF WORK. If we were 6-4 with a win over Oklahoma State and losses to Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, and just randomly Clemson at home THEN maybe you could make somewhat of an argument that would be better than what we are right now. But again, it ALL DEPENDS on WHO you beat. It's like that for everyone in the NCAA.

13-0 Alabama > 13-0 Memphis. WHY? Because of who they both had to defeat to get to 13-0. It's the same reason why Tulane didn't win a NC and rightfully so in 1998 when they went undefeated. Basically all they had to do was beat USM and BYU in a bowl compared to Tennessee which had to beat MSU, Arkansas, Florida, etc. that year.

This really isn't that complicated. It's how college football has been judged for over a century now.

TUSK
11-15-2015, 10:05 PM
My comparison said that IF this team played a LT schedule our record would be worse than it is now. Very simple.

I didn't say 5-4 with LT schedule would be "better"- but it would basically be about the same as what we have accomplished this year thus far BASED ON THE BODY OF WORK. If we were 6-4 with a win over Oklahoma State and losses to Alabama, LSU, Texas A&M, and just randomly Clemson at home THEN maybe you could make somewhat of an argument that would be better than what we are right now. But again, it ALL DEPENDS on WHO you beat. It's like that for everyone in the NCAA.

13-0 Alabama > 13-0 Memphis. WHY? Because of who they both had to defeat to get to 13-0. It's the same reason why Tulane didn't win a NC and rightfully so in 1998 when they went undefeated. Basically all they had to do was beat USM and BYU in a bowl compared to Tennessee which had to beat MSU, Arkansas, Florida, etc. that year.

This really isn't that complicated. It's how college football has been judged for over a century now.

no shit, Todd... 1984/BYU still pisses me off...