PDA

View Full Version : Scholarship cap at 65?

msstate7
11-15-2015, 12:59 AM
Would you support this?

Personally, I'd love it. I think it would make college football much better. Not only would it level the playing field for us vs bama, but it would level it for OOC teams vs us too. There would be many more competitive games around the country.

Charlie_Sheen420
11-15-2015, 01:03 AM
Ehh yes and no. Yes for the benefit in that it would narrow the gap, but no for the fact overall it would mean some kids would never be able to attend college without that athletic scholarship that was cut

Dawg61
11-15-2015, 01:07 AM
It wouldn't level the playing field it'd make it worse. Redshirting and developing 5 year players is tremendously helpful for us and gives us a big advantage when LSU/Bama lose multiple juniors to the NFL.

msstate7
11-15-2015, 01:09 AM
Ehh yes and no. Yes for the benefit in that it would narrow the gap, but no for the fact overall it would mean some kids would never be able to attend college without that athletic scholarship that was cut
College baseball players aren't sympathetic. Spread the extra 20 with among basketball and baseball...

Todd4State
11-15-2015, 01:10 AM
I have a bad feeling about cutting down to 65. My gut says no. They would probably have to cut the NSD limit to 20 to make it work.

Dawg61
11-15-2015, 01:19 AM
Look at it like this. There's three princes and 195 virgins. The virgins get to choose which prince they want to spend four years with. Two of the princes are the most handsome and rich in all the land. The third is nice but not nearly as rich or handsome. The most beautiful of all the virgins gets to choose her prince first. Then so on and so on based on beauty. After a prince has 65 virgins he rides off with them. Between Bama, LSU and MSU how many of the elite virgins do we get? Only 40 of them are elite.

We will end up with a less balanced system if we cut scholarships.

msstate7
11-15-2015, 01:23 AM
Look at it like this. There's three princes and 195 virgins. The virgins get to choose which prince they want to spend four years with. Two of the princes are the most handsome and rich in all the land. The third is nice but not nearly as rich or handsome. The most beautiful of all the virgins gets to choose her prince first. Then so on and so on based on beauty. After a prince has 65 virgins he rides off with them. Between Bama, LSU and MSU how many of the elite virgins do we get? Only 40 of them are elite.

We will end up with a less balanced system if we cut scholarships.

I'm not positive, but didn't the cut to 85 lead to more parity?

TUSK
11-15-2015, 01:36 AM

yes.

Dawg61
11-15-2015, 01:37 AM

Is there really more parity though? I am just talking about winning it all. Yes there's more parity in the smaller conferences but there's still only really 15-20 programs with a realistic chance to win it all each year. Same as in 1950.

Todd4State
11-15-2015, 01:37 AM

Yes, but before I think it was unlimited at one point in time.

msstate7
11-15-2015, 01:38 AM
Is there really more parity though? I am just talking about winning it all. Yes there's more parity in the smaller conferences but there's still only really 15-20 programs with a realistic chance to win it all each year. Same as in 1950.

Limit those 15-20 programs to 50**

Dawg61
11-15-2015, 01:40 AM

Sounds like the NFL now.

TUSK
11-15-2015, 01:51 AM

I know you were jokin... but I'd love to see about fitty/sixty teams break away from the NCAA...

TimberBeast
11-15-2015, 01:55 AM

I'm all for it. There are a lot of kids on college football teams that don't belong on college campuses. I would like to see academic standards raised by a good bit.

msstate7
11-15-2015, 01:58 AM
I know you were jokin... but I'd love to see about fitty/sixty teams break away from the NCAA...

How would recruiting be regulated?

TUSK
11-15-2015, 02:01 AM
How would recruiting be regulated?

I'd think reps from each school would form a "senate", if you will....

Have an independent body of investigators present "findings", then vote...

Of course, Bammer would get 29 additional votes.*

Dawg61
11-15-2015, 02:03 AM

What's going to happen during the other twenty NCAA sports? We break away (which I don't think we can legally do without the NCAA suing our balls off) and you can guarantee the NCAA will blackball all 50 schools from every other sport. No more NCAA March Madness. No more College World Series. I love football but I don't love it that much more than every other sport. Plus I love watching Toledo beat Arkansas and Memphis beat Ole Miss.

msstate7
11-15-2015, 02:03 AM
I'd think reps from each school would form a "senate", if you will....

Have an independent body of investigators present "findings", then vote...

Of course, Bammer would get 29 additional votes.*

How longhorn of you haha

BTW, congrats. You have a very good team

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
11-15-2015, 02:07 AM
yes it did

TUSK
11-15-2015, 02:07 AM
What's going to happen during the other twenty NCAA sports? We break away (which I don't think we can legally do without the NCAA suing our balls off) and you can guarantee the NCAA will blackball all 50 schools from every other sport. No more NCAA March Madness. No more College World Series. I love football but I don't love it that much more than every other sport. Plus I love watching Toledo beat Arkansas and Memphis beat Ole Miss.

those are good points, but I think maybe the top teams prolly could finance everything with what the networks would pay... They'd still have the events you mentioned but non football stuff would be watered down a lot...

TUSK
11-15-2015, 02:08 AM
How longhorn of you haha

BTW, congrats. You have a very good team

thanks, buddy... I had fun hangin out in Vegas...

SunCoastDog
11-15-2015, 03:29 AM
I would prefer they do away with the total limit all together and go to about 20 Max per year. This would stop teams like Bama from culling players every year that don't develop as planned, and then re-load up in recruiting like an NFL franchise free agency. It would put more skin-in-the-game for these bigger programs not to throw away players and their college dreams just because they can replace them with better players. Then teams that have all these super 5 stars going to the draft in 3 years or that recruit a bunch of high talent thugs that end up kicked out of school, would be put at a slight scholarship number disadvantage against the smaller programs that keep most players for 5 years, and college football would be more competitive. It would also encourage all programs to be more character and academic selective with the players they sign, because once you sign them and lose them, you can't get that scholarship position back the next year.

msstate7
11-15-2015, 08:07 AM
I would prefer they do away with the total limit all together and go to about 20 Max per year. This would stop teams like Bama from culling players every year that don't develop as planned, and then re-load up in recruiting like an NFL franchise free agency. It would put more skin-in-the-game for these bigger programs not to throw away players and their college dreams just because they can replace them with better players. Then teams that have all these super 5 stars going to the draft in 3 years or that recruit a bunch of high talent thugs that end up kicked out of school, would be put at a slight scholarship number disadvantage against the smaller programs that keep most players for 5 years, and college football would be more competitive. It would also encourage all programs to be more character and academic selective with the players they sign, because once you sign them and lose them, you can't get that scholarship position back the next year.

Pretty good

IMissJack
11-15-2015, 09:39 AM
[QUOTE=msstate7;450039]Would you support this?

Personally, I'd love it. I think it would make college football much better. Not only would it level the playing field for us vs bama, but it would level it for OOC teams vs us too. There would be many more competitive games around the country.[/QUOTE

IMO, if you make the number of schollys too low, it will help the private, wealthy schools like the drastic limits in baseball have done. Back in the 80's, there were about 10-15 schools that gave a hoot about baseball. Now, all over the country, especially SEC, Big 12, and ACC you can play in very nice facilities, on TV, etc. So now, the Vandy's, Rice's, of the world can supplement scholarships that others can't. If kids know that most schools are going to be pretty equal, they might as well get a $200K education free...

ShotgunDawg
11-15-2015, 09:53 AM

HAHAHA, 15-20? This is the lie that Kennel and Galloway have sold and you've bought it hook, line, & sinker.

Alabama, Ohio State, USC, LSU, Texas, Florida State, Oklahoma, Michigan, Georgia, Texas A&M, & Auburn are the only ones capable of accumulating enough overall talent and right now, Alabama and Ohio State are lapping these teams in talent. That's 11 teams and outside of Ohio State and Alabama the other 9 rotate, depending on a variety of factors.

The barrier to entry into this club of 11 is virtually impossible. I have no idea how you begin to get there.

Pinto
11-15-2015, 10:29 AM
The only thing that will cause parity is that you get 85 four year scholarships. No cutting players. You only get to replace a guy if they are early entry or graduate. That would cause parity and shake everything we have now up.

IMissJack
11-15-2015, 11:40 AM
This probably won't be popular, but there would be a lot of parity now IF the NCAA enforced all recruiting rules to the letter of the law, and dropped stiff penalties/fines on violators. Currently the NCAA is a laughing stock because they hammer the little guys and fold when any big boy says stop it.

MabenMaroon
11-15-2015, 11:52 AM
This probably won't be popular, but there would be a lot of parity now IF the NCAA enforced all recruiting rules to the letter of the law, and dropped stiff penalties/fines on violators. Currently the NCAA is a laughing stock because they hammer the little guys and fold when any big boy says stop it.

^^^^this^^^^

Political Hack
11-15-2015, 11:55 AM
It would help with title IX issues for sure, but they could just correct title IX and say there have to be an equal amount of scholarships per sport played. Baseball players have literally paid for this injustice long enough.

Dawg61
11-16-2015, 12:20 AM
HAHAHA, 15-20? This is the lie that Kennel and Galloway have sold and you've bought it hook, line, & sinker.

Alabama, Ohio State, USC, LSU, Texas, Florida State, Oklahoma, Michigan, Georgia, Texas A&M, & Auburn are the only ones capable of accumulating enough overall talent and right now, Alabama and Ohio State are lapping these teams in talent. That's 11 teams and outside of Ohio State and Alabama the other 9 rotate, depending on a variety of factors.

The barrier to entry into this club of 11 is virtually impossible. I have no idea how you begin to get there.

Wut? First off you said 11 teams. I said 15-20 as a rough estimate. 15 and 11 are very close to each other. Like four teams close. Tennessee (BCS title) Miami (BCS Title) Notre Dame (eventually will get a BCS title) Clemson (currently #1 in the BCS) and oh look at that. Now you have 15 teams.

Johnson85
11-16-2015, 09:23 AM
Would you support this?

Personally, I'd love it. I think it would make college football much better. Not only would it level the playing field for us vs bama, but it would level it for OOC teams vs us too. There would be many more competitive games around the country.

Be careful what you wish for. 65 would certainly make it harder on Bama, but it would also make it harder on MSU compared to other schools. Bama would have to concentrate even more on sure things. That would leave some very good prospects for MSU, but we'd face the same dilemma. Think about how many big time contributers of ours were signed at the last second. We'd get a better shot at some good players, but we'd also see a lot of players that have had good careers for us end up at USM, ULL, Memphis, etc. I think it would do much more to narrow the gap between MSU and programs like that than it would narrow the gap between MSU and schools like Bama or LSU.

The idea of getting rid of overall scholarship limits is a good one. I really like the idea of 20 scholarships per year and those players can rideout their eligiblity pursuant to the current rules. I would like some wrinkle thrown in that allows walk-ons to earn scholarships.

AusTexDawg
11-16-2015, 11:41 AM

Back in the day, the 'Bamas and Nebraskas of the world would hoard talent and keep guys on the bench just to prevent them from going to places like Iowa State or Mississippi State. Vaught stockpiled QBs throughout the '60s. The reduction from 100+ to 85 did help us try and catch up with the top tier schools; however, a further reduction probably helps the third tier schools like Southern Miss catch up with us.

sandwolf
11-16-2015, 01:00 PM

Florida definitely has to be included in that group....and Oregon has played in the title game twice in the previous 5 seasons.