PDA

View Full Version : This board is obviously...

bdfan09
11-14-2015, 06:56 PM
Made up of people too young to remember the MSU of old. I know that we are getting our asses whooped, but we are lightyear ahead of where this program used to be. It pisses me off too to see another school, especially Bama, but we are still on the right path to dominance at MSU. It might take longer for us, but we will get there.

Tripp McNeely
11-14-2015, 07:00 PM
^^^^^^ This!!!

DudyDawg
11-14-2015, 07:00 PM
Where do you think we are going to get. What is "there" to you

VandelayIndustries
11-14-2015, 07:07 PM
I'm with you on this, I'm in sunshine pumper mode. Obviously we are a class below Bama, and our goals of winning the SEC are over. We still have a chance to win our final 2 games and then win a bowl game to get to 10 wins.

defiantdog
11-14-2015, 07:13 PM
Made up of people too young to remember the MSU of old. I know that we are getting our asses whooped, but we are lightyear ahead of where this program used to be. It pisses me off too to see another school, especially Bama, but we are still on the right path to dominance at MSU. It might take longer for us, but we will get there.

What? I remember our past way too well. And we haven't played well against top opponents since the '80 Bama game. Sure we got lucky against Spurrier and his 3rd and 57. Then Croom beat Bama on a down year. But Mullen can't beat a team when they're playing well. We beat the teams we're supposed to beat and that's it. We beat LSU last year, but what else did we do? Are we on the rise? Or are we a middle of the road team? If you're satisfied with middle of the road then so be it.

Maroonthirteen
11-14-2015, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I've been watching these same teams play for 30 years. Different coaches and players every 2-3 years...the results are mostly the same.for SEC games. Except we are not losing to Kentucky USM and LaTech.

Mullen has done a helluva job at State.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-14-2015, 07:17 PM
If today doesn't tell us that we can't just recruit projects on the Oline and "coach them up", I don't know what will. Stars matter....just ask Howland. Hell, even Schafer as the women coach is bringing in 4-5 stars. Say what you will, but stars do matter. Maybe 5 years ago they didn't, but it's easier now to determine who's got it and who doesn't. I'm not privy to our recruiting but it certainly doesn't appear that we go after many highly rated guys on the OL. I know the odds of us getting many are slim, but we don't even appear to try. I hate to bring up those pricks up north, but those bastards at least go after top rated OL and whether they cheat or not, they get some every once in a while. Hell, the top rated OL in the country was rumored to be committing to them yesterday before delaying his decision. Bottom line, if we want to seriously contend for championships as Dan always says we do, we've got to recruit better on the OL. No other way. Look at Sherrill's teams. We didn't have playmakers for crap half the time, but the majority of the time he had a dominating OL. It matters. Now, it seems it's the other way around. We can get some playmakers but can't get the OL.

WeWonItAll(Most)
11-14-2015, 07:24 PM
Just because we were bad in the past doesn't mean we have to be complacent and happy with how we just played

Pinto
11-14-2015, 07:27 PM
I remember both. My problem is a coach who keeps doing the same thing expecting a different result. If your ol is getting their ass handed to them, then roll the pocket and provide a run pass option. Also if Fournette couldn't run up the middle on Bama what the hell makes you think Dak can.

Liverpooldawg
11-14-2015, 07:28 PM

Absolutely. What some of these youngsters, and a few old ones too, don't get is that what we are really competing with is our history. We are kicking that butt. The standard reply to that is history be damned, we are competing with Alabama and LSU. My reply to that is, that never changes. Those teams back in the day were too. They ain't gonna change. What we have to do is change what WE are. That means first and foremost overcoming our history. Dan Mullen is doing that. We are sitting at 7-3 and people are pissed. For most of our history our fans would be passed out from celebrating. It ain't ever going to be a straight line upward trajectory. But the trend on the whole is wonderful. Recognizing that fact would be the mark of a mature fan base. I think for the most part we are there too. The vocal idiots are the exception, not the rule. Hail State!

Liverpooldawg
11-14-2015, 07:29 PM
What? I remember our past way too well. And we haven't played well against top opponents since the '80 Bama game. Sure we got lucky against Spurrier and his 3rd and 57. Then Croom beat Bama on a down year. But Mullen can't beat a team when they're playing well. We beat the teams we're supposed to beat and that's it. We beat LSU last year, but what else did we do? Are we on the rise? Or are we a middle of the road team? If you're satisfied with middle of the road then so be it.

Are you one of the USM people that fired Jeff Bower?

Dawgface
11-14-2015, 07:29 PM
Yeah, I've been watching these same teams play for 30 years. Different coaches and players every 2-3 years...the results are mostly the same.for SEC games. Except we are not losing to Kentucky USM and LaTech.

Mullen has done a helluva job at State.

That's basically the difference. We beat who we are suppose to in the Mullen era. Certainly didn't always do that in the past. So yes, Mullen has done a good job but we are not in the same league with the Bama's. Will we ever get there? Probably not in my lifetime.

QuadrupleOption
11-14-2015, 07:31 PM
I agree with OP. I hate getting our asses whipped as much as the next guy, but Bama does that to a lot of people, not just us.

It obvious we need to get better players on the OL. Our defense and skill players (other than RB this year) are fine.

Mullen has been the best coach this school has seen since Darrel Royal bolted for greener pastures.

For those of you posting that Mullen = Stansbury, or that he sucks in big games, don't let one opponent turn you into an idiot - look at the big picture.

LSU last year was a big game. Auburn was big, A&M was big. We are doing fine as a program and the longer we win, the easier our recruiting will become. We'll get there.

bdfan09
11-14-2015, 07:35 PM
If today doesn't tell us that we can't just recruit projects on the Oline and "coach them up", I don't know what will. Stars matter....just ask Howland. Hell, even Schafer as the women coach is bringing in 4-5 stars. Say what you will, but stars do matter. Maybe 5 years ago they didn't, but it's easier now to determine who's got it and who doesn't. I'm not privy to our recruiting but it certainly doesn't appear that we go after many highly rated guys on the OL. I know the odds of us getting many are slim, but we don't even appear to try. I hate to bring up those pricks up north, but those bastards at least go after top rated OL and whether they cheat or not, they get some every once in a while. Hell, the top rated OL in the country was rumored to be committing to them yesterday before delaying his decision. Bottom line, if we want to seriously contend for championships as Dan always says we do, we've got to recruit better on the OL. No other way. Look at Sherrill's teams. We didn't have playmakers for crap half the time, but the majority of the time he had a dominating OL. It matters. Now, it seems it's the other way around. We can get some playmakers but can't get the OL.

Howland's best recruit didn't touch the court last night. So, that point is moot.

Let's face facts here. State, is always going to be a tier below Bama and LSU. That's just the way it is. But, there will be the occasional year when we can compete with those teams.

What will be paramount for MSU will be, if, we have the right coaching staff and personnel in place to capitalize on it.

WeWonItAll(Most)
11-14-2015, 07:38 PM
Absolutely. What some of these youngsters, and a few old ones too, don't get is that what we are really competing with is our history. We are kicking that butt. The standard reply to that is history be damned, we are competing with Alabama and LSU. My reply to that is, that never changes. Those teams back in the day were too. They ain't gonna change. What we have to do is change what WE are. That means first and foremost overcoming our history. Dan Mullen is doing that. We are sitting at 7-3 and people are pissed. For most of our history our fans would be passed out from celebrating. It ain't ever going to be a straight line upward trajectory. But the trend on the whole is wonderful. Recognizing that fact would be the mark of a mature fan base. I think for the most part we are there too. The vocal idiots are the exception, not the rule. Hail State!

I agree we're on an upward trend. But that doesn't mean we can't be unhappy with how we just played. Some of the stuff we do is just flat frustrating, whether we have the football history of Alabama or Millsaps.

defiantdog
11-14-2015, 07:40 PM
Are you one of the USM people that fired Jeff Bower?

Ha! I actually needed that. But no, I'm a proud graduate of MSU whose been yelling about our team ever since.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-14-2015, 07:46 PM
Howland's best recruit didn't touch the court last night. So, that point is moot.

Seriously?? Shows how much you keep up with MSU athletics.

Homedawg
11-14-2015, 07:50 PM

The grass is always greener.......

Bothrops
11-14-2015, 07:53 PM
I like Mullen, but I also know that he'll never recruit well enough to beat these monster teams. Once in a 5 year span, maybe. He's not a star recruiter, he's a developmental coach in the toughest division, which is great for 7-8 wins a year.

Saltydog
11-14-2015, 07:57 PM
nt

Bully13
11-14-2015, 07:58 PM

How old are you? I'm 52. I was the 2nd person on the field in '80 only behind my dad. do you remember getting blown out by SEC teams that were NOT playing well? I don't think you do. if I'm wrong, my bad, sorry.

however, at my age, I'm tired. that's why I don't watch games like this live. I didn't watch a single snap. didn't put myself through what y'all did . I don't do that anymore. I got a much needed 1 hr nap and spent the rest of the game watching Snake City. I could tell by ESPN game tracker and Elite Dawgs what was going to happen. I was expecting this result before kick off. of course I always hope for a miracle , that's why I record the games. I'll hit delete on this one.

Dawgology
11-14-2015, 07:58 PM

This should be pinned to the top of the board. Its a marathon not a sprint. We can't be complacent but don't expect to win the SEC or NC over night. Mullen is actually building a storied program and that takes time. I, for one, believe we will get there. It will take some adjustment over time but it will happen.

Bully13
11-14-2015, 08:02 PM
liverpool and dogology get it ... good posts guys,

Liverpooldawg
11-14-2015, 08:10 PM
I like Mullen, but I also know that he'll never recruit well enough to beat these monster teams. Once in a 5 year span, maybe. He's not a star recruiter, he's a developmental coach in the toughest division, which is great for 7-8 wins a year.

If he keeps us where we are now we will eventually break through. My only fears are two. One: A bigger program will approach him and he will get tired of our ignorant fan's crap and take it. Two: our fans ignorance reaches the level it did under McKeen and we run him off.

msugolf
11-14-2015, 08:11 PM
How old are you? I'm 52. I was the 2nd person on the field in '80 only behind my dad. do you remember getting blown out by SEC teams that were NOT playing well? I don't think you do. if I'm wrong, my bad, sorry.

however, at my age, I'm tired. that's why I don't watch games like this live. I didn't watch a single snap. didn't put myself through what y'all did . I don't do that anymore. I got a much needed 1 hr nap and spent the rest of the game watching Snake City. I could tell by ESPN game tracker and Elite Dawgs what was going to happen. I was expecting this result before kick off. of course I always hope for a miracle , that's why I record the games. I'll hit delete on this one.

Don't take this the wrong way but that sounds f**king miserable. You've basically just applied and justified an apathetic attitude towards watching MState athletics.

I'm all for putting things into perspective but I also enjoy getting excited about the possibility of being the best. Screw all the "this is as good as we'll ever do" BS.

DudyDawg
11-14-2015, 08:24 PM
History be dammed, if that game didn't embarrass the hell out of you I don't know what to say. I don't think peiple expect we should be consistently beating Bama or anything, but I sure as hell dont expect to get embarrassed like that.

Bothrops
11-14-2015, 08:27 PM
If he keeps us where we are now we will eventually break through. My only fears are two. One: A bigger program will approach him and he will get tired of our ignorant fan's crap and take it. Two: our fans ignorance reaches the level it did under McKeen and we run him off.

We can't allow either one to happen. I would rather not take a chance on thinking a new coach would be just as successful.

BrunswickDawg
11-14-2015, 08:33 PM
Exactly. To have a program like the top tier guys, you have to build a program. And you have to have a program defining coach. Name 1 top tier program that doesn't have a 15-20 year head coach in their history. We blew that shot 3 times - ran off McKeen, let Royal get away, and let OM blow investigators to destroy Jackie. We are competing against everything - ourselves, the media, and the SEC. We have to keep the big picture in mind and not freak out with unrealistic expectations. I almost wish last year hadn't have happened because it has made too many people morons.

DudyDawg
11-14-2015, 08:37 PM

So your opinion is that if he keeps us where we are now (consistently finishing 3rd/4th ish in the west) we will break through? Does that mean it'll be possible to win the west with 3/4 losses. That's where we are now. Which means the rest of the conference will have to fall hard for us to "break through"

DudyDawg
11-14-2015, 08:40 PM
Name 1 top tier program that doesn't have a 15-20 year head coach in their history.

The thing is those 15-20 year guys bring home rings. I don't see that happening with the staff as is.

Maroonthirteen
11-14-2015, 08:41 PM
That's basically the difference. We beat who we are suppose to in the Mullen era. Certainly didn't always do that in the past. So yes, Mullen has done a good job but we are not in the same league with the Bama's. Will we ever get there? Probably not in my lifetime.

Yeah, that's the frustrating part for me....while we have certainly gotten much better as a program. Bama has too. We haven't really closed the gap on them.

Maroonthirteen
11-14-2015, 08:44 PM
Amen Brunswick. Except I enjoyed last year....just wish the egg and orange bowls were.different. Also, I think some of our fans are being unreasonable tonight because OM beat them and we didn't.

BrunswickDawg
11-14-2015, 08:55 PM
The thing is those 15-20 year guys bring home rings. I don't see that happening with the staff as is.
And when has Dan not made staff changes?? He may make more after this year. It's the "Dan has plateaued/will never win the big one" crowd I'm talking about. You learn, you evolve, you improve, you make changes. And rings? I'm sorry I'm just not going to judge our football program by championships. It's unrealistic. Should it be our goal? Damn straight. But not winning championships is not failure.

DudyDawg
11-14-2015, 09:09 PM
And when has Dan not made staff changes?? He may make more after this year. It's the "Dan has plateaued/will never win the big one" crowd I'm talking about. You learn, you evolve, you improve, you make changes. And rings? I'm sorry I'm just not going to judge our football program by championships. It's unrealistic. Should it be our goal? Damn straight. But not winning championships is not failure.

No of course we can't judge coaches on rings at a school like state. We're a smaller school it's just not realistic. That wasnt my point, I was just saying that the 20 year coach he wants only stays 20 years bc he brings home trophies. There's a reason bill Snyder is an outlier.

I'll never ever ever EXPECT to beat Bama regardless. But I sure as hell won't ACCEPT getting bent over like that. We just hung a whopping 6 points.

BrunswickDawg
11-14-2015, 09:23 PM
No of course we can't judge coaches on rings at a school like state. We're a smaller school it's just not realistic. That wasnt my point, I was just saying that the 20 year coach he wants only stays 20 years bc he brings home trophies. There's a reason bill Snyder is an outlier.

I'll never ever ever EXPECT to beat Bama regardless. But I sure as hell won't ACCEPT getting bent over like that. We just hung a whopping 6 points.
Interesting that you mention Snyder - because before last year KSU is who most on this board agreed we should compare ourselves to. Honestly, Dan could stay here that long and never win it all - it may take the guy after that to be able to build us to that point. If that's the way it goes, and we consistently stay in the hunt like this year and last year, I'd consider it a huge success.

We shit the bed against Bama again. I get it. I just don't let it get to me anymore. We've beat them 17 times in a century or more. So when have we ever not shit the bed against Bama? I just refuse to let it cloud my vision beyond the moment.

DudyDawg
11-14-2015, 09:39 PM
Interesting that you mention Snyder - because before last year KSU is who most on this board agreed we should compare ourselves to. Honestly, Dan could stay here that long and never win it all - it may take the guy after that to be able to build us to that point. If that's the way it goes, and we consistently stay in the hunt like this year and last year, I'd consider it a huge success.

We shit the bed against Bama again. I get it. I just don't let it get to me anymore. We've beat them 17 times in a century or more. So when have we ever not shit the bed against Bama? I just refuse to let it cloud my vision beyond the moment.

I get you as far as consistently being in the hunt goes, but I think the rest is contradictory. Saying the guy after dan may "build us to that point" and then basically saying it doesn't bother you that we never have or ever will beat Bama is the opposite. That "point" will always run through baton Rouge and tuscaloosa for us. So how can it not bother you to get embarrassed like that. How does that not bother you. We will never get to that "point", with Dan or anyone, if getting whipped at home like that isn't a big ****ing problem.

Political Hack
11-14-2015, 09:47 PM
Newsflash: We will never outrecruit Bama, LSU, or A&M on a consistent basis. It's not going to happen. We are one of three major schools in a small state with four traditional power programs in the 3 states that border us. We have to be a developmental program and hope to continue finding 2 stars like Chris Jones and 3 stars like Dak.

BrunswickDawg
11-14-2015, 09:53 PM
I get you as far as consistently being in the hunt goes, but I think the rest is contradictory. Saying the guy after dan may "build us to that point" and then basically saying it doesn't bother you that we never have or ever will beat Bama is the opposite. That "point" will always run through baton Rouge and tuscaloosa for us. So how can it not bother you to get embarrassed like that. How does that not bother you. We will never get to that "point", with Dan or anyone, if getting whipped at home like that isn't a big ****ing problem.
See Political Hack - he answered for me.

Boston
11-14-2015, 10:12 PM
Newsflash: We will never outrecruit Bama, LSU, or A&M on a consistent basis. It's not going to happen. We are one of three major schools in a small state with four traditional power programs in the 3 states that border us. We have to be a developmental program and hope to continue finding 2 stars like Chris Jones and 3 stars like Dak.

Best post of the night.