PDA

View Full Version : Total MSU Luck

HSVDawg
11-13-2015, 09:48 PM
We finally hire an elite college basketball coach, who built his career on his teams playing good defense. And before his first team ever takes the court, the NCAA passes legislation that makes it basically illegal to play defense.

IMissJack
11-13-2015, 09:59 PM
We finally hire an elite college basketball coach, who built his career on his teams playing good defense. And before his first team ever takes the court, the NCAA passes legislation that makes it basically illegal to play defense.
I predict there is going to be so much badmouthing of these changes by non-elite teams, there will be change next year.

Jack Lambert
11-13-2015, 10:07 PM

Can you inform a non basketball person what legislation you are talking about?

PassInterference
11-13-2015, 10:11 PM
They basically call fouls when a defender touches an offensive player.

HSVDawg
11-13-2015, 10:24 PM
Exactly. End result being games with scores like 70-68 with 13 damn minutes still to go

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-13-2015, 10:31 PM
Absolutely hate it. In watching the coaching roundtable on SECN today, majority of coaches didn't like it. Said all new rules will make it that much harder for officials to call a game. Kevin Stallings predicted it would take two seasons for teams to adjust.

Jack Lambert
11-13-2015, 10:36 PM
They basically call fouls when a defender touches an offensive player.

Dang. I suspect that is going to make games run long as well.

SDDawg
11-13-2015, 10:52 PM
And we're killing it... but the game is painful to watch. Refs will back off and players will adjust by December though...

Mutt the Hoople
11-13-2015, 11:06 PM
Looks like you can body up on them, just don't use the hands.

HSVDawg
11-14-2015, 12:41 AM
Looks like you can body up on them, just don't use the hands.

Yep. Basically the same rules as the strip club (most of them, anyways).

blacklistedbully
11-14-2015, 02:13 AM
Ruining the game. Even though we won, I found it hard to watch. I particularly love great, smothering defense. Now it is gone.

This is not basketball, it's a one-off game, like horse.

drunkernhelldawg
11-14-2015, 02:23 AM
I'm a big fan of defense too. The one good point though is it make scaling a foul more specific. It's kinda takes degree of contact out of it nd focuses on the nature of the contact.

But we're going to have to get used to more scoring.

RougeDawg
11-14-2015, 10:42 AM
Ruining the game. Even though we won, I found it hard to watch. I particularly love great, smothering defense. Now it is gone.

This is not basketball, it's a one-off game, like horse.

I will say that the "all over the other player" type basketball wasn't basketball either. According to the original rules, any contact between players is/was a foul. If you go back and watch early footage you will see this type of play. There has to be a line drawn somewhere and I personally enjoy scoring points. To each his own, as long as we win.

IMissJack
11-14-2015, 10:45 AM
I will say that the "all over the other player" type basketball wasn't basketball either. According to the original rules, any contact between players is/was a foul. If you go back and watch early footage you will see this type of play. There has to be a line drawn somewhere and I personally enjoy scoring points. To each his own, as long as we win.

Of course "originally" playing above the rim and dunks, and shot clocks were not factors either. You didn't have to play smothering defense, because you could play keep away.

AlmostPositive
11-14-2015, 10:49 AM
God coaches will adjust. We have a good coach.

The main thing for us is protecting Gavin Ware... I don't think we have much backing him up.