PDA

View Full Version : Baseball recruiting

nemsdawg
07-30-2013, 10:48 PM
I really like the direction things are headed. Cohen and his staff have busted their tails and have now gone from signing guys that had good evaluations, to hand picking from the top prospects across the nation. Cohen and Thompson did more with less for the past few years. Putting the pieces together this past season is a great example of this coaching staffs ability to evaluate talent and put it in the places to gain the biggest reward. Making the CWS final with basically no starting pitching is unheard of. This staff is now getting front line starters like the pitcher from Cali and Jesse McCord from Spanish Fort, AL. Also, kids like Dale Burdick and Luke Alexander (and other committed players im sure) who are constantly in other top prospects ear's telling them to come win a National Championship with them. I know I haven't posted anything that isn't public knowledge. I think this season was the start of some great things to come.

bulldogcountry1
07-31-2013, 07:19 AM
It's exciting to finally be able to sit back and see the progress and the gain in momentum, from the recruiting and development perspective. If we can keep Thompson around, we are going to need a bigger trophy case.

Someone on one of the boards asked about Palmeiro and how many times he had been to DNF. It was a really good point. It's likely that kid has never been to DNF and has no emotional ties to State whatsoever. You can't blame Cohen for that. Yeah, it hurt a little missing out on a legacy, but it's best for everyone. Maybe one of Cohen's former teammates has a son coming along soon.

nemsdawg
07-31-2013, 07:20 AM
Jesse McCord from Spanish Fort, AL is the player to be named later.

nemsdawg
07-31-2013, 07:26 AM
I know there have been a lot of people wondering how we could let the son of one of our greats slip through the cracks. I dont think it was ever a real possibility. From what I have heard he didn't really fit in the system. Not saying he isn't talented just didn't quit fit the mold of the player we are pursuing.

engie
07-31-2013, 08:16 AM
Agreed with that on Preston...Of course, I would never have said it up front publicly... but after following his twitter for awhile, there were more potential concerns there than upside IMO...

maroonmania
07-31-2013, 11:38 AM
Agreed with that on Preston...Of course, I would never have said it up front publicly... but after following his twitter for awhile, there were more potential concerns there than upside IMO...

Reading between the lines are we talking "prima donna" type issues I gather?

nemsdawg
07-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Somewhat prima donna. I really don't want to poor mouth but his personality isn't really that of what our program is known for. There is no real good way to describe it. I will say this, we would not have recruited him, IMO, had his father not played here.

Coach34
07-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Hell, Raf probably didnt let him sign with us simply because Cohen had Will Clark speak to the team. They like each other about as much as me and HD6 do

engie
07-31-2013, 12:02 PM
Agreed with that assessment...

Let's just say that I'm from a Cohen type of background in baseball and can see that "mold" more easily than most -- and he doesn't seem to fit that mold very well at all. Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved for him to come here -- but I never had the expectations for him that many have had...

messageboardsuperhero
07-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Agreed with that assessment...

Let's just say that I'm from a Cohen type of background in baseball and can see that "mold" more easily than most -- and he doesn't seem to fit that mold very well at all. Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved for him to come here -- but I never had the expectations for him that many have had...

Knowing this and what Todd said a little while ago, it probably worked out for the best. I'm not saying he isn't a good player and a nice guy; I'd have loved to have him, but I think him going elsewhere ended up being good everyone. Best of luck to him.