PDA

View Full Version : Hey Mullen....

I seen it dawg
11-13-2015, 12:04 AM
Better strap on that recruiting thong.....Ben and Vic are big pimping....what you gonna do...

Todd4State
11-13-2015, 12:07 AM
Recruiting is the one aspect of Dan's program that I actually almost 100% agree with. The upside and ceilings of our freshmen are MUCH higher than our upper classmen that are starting- and those upperclassmen have won a lot of games.

SDDawg
11-13-2015, 12:13 AM
Dan got skills. Don't get all NAFOOM up in this piece...

mstatefan91
11-13-2015, 12:33 AM
Dan has proven himself when you take into consideration the history of our program.. why are you throwing shade?

I also agree that our current Freshmen should be a step up in the future.

ShotgunDawg
11-13-2015, 12:58 AM
I think Mullen recruits much better than he gets credit for. Hell, we are 20-5 over our past 25 games. However, seeing what Ben and Vic are doing and then seeing Bucky potentially getting Greg Little, it makes you wonder why every other program on campus is capable of pulling an elite out of state talent, but football isn't.

I'm not really sure what the answer is.

What's confusing to me is that unless Bucky gets a Mississippi kid to commit when he's a sophomore or junior in high school, Mullen basically dominates him in state. But, out of State, Ole Miss recruits better than some national powers. What's confusing is how this is so, and, after Mullen has recruited tons of the same players as Ole Miss and surely knows all their tricks, he chooses to not implement the same recruiting practices.

We have tons of players on our roster that were recruited by OM and I have no doubt that they've shared the details to the point where our staff could basically duplicate the way Ole Miss recruits if they chose to, at least from a tactical and strategy standpoint, however they choose not to.

It's confusing.

Coach34
11-13-2015, 04:12 AM
We may be 20-5 in our last 25- but Mullen is 2-15 vs Bama, LSU, and A&M

bulldawg28
11-13-2015, 06:45 AM

Give me 3 schools with a better record against those schools in that range

Dawgface
11-13-2015, 07:10 AM
Give me 3 schools with a better record against those schools in that range

If we could ever get to a 50/50 ratio with those three, we would certainly be in the hunt for SEC titles.

Statefan
11-13-2015, 07:52 AM
Why does Auburn (a top 10 recruiter) not count...

Statefan
11-13-2015, 07:54 AM
Also it's not Sumlin (another "top 10" recruiter) has had better success against bama and lsu with all his talent

SheltonChoked
11-13-2015, 08:03 AM
It's spelled national titles

somebodyshotmypaw
11-13-2015, 09:09 AM
big pimping?
throwing shade?

I'm going to have to get a dictionary or a translator up in this place.

Bullybaroo
11-13-2015, 09:39 AM
I don't post very often, just read and learn, but I had to jump in on this one. I think Dan may be the best evaluator of projected talent of any head coach in the SEC. He has gotten his share of high profile recruits over the years but he impresses me most when he gets a guy that is marginally recruited and (I hate this term) "coaches'em up". One that comes to everyone's mind is likely Benardrick McKinney, a skinny kid from Tunica that according to Rivals had one offer, MSU. The rest is history, and there are quite a few more examples if one chooses to delve into it.

DanDority
11-13-2015, 10:15 AM
big pimping?
throwing shade?

I'm going to have to get a dictionary or a translator up in this place.

I think you be awerite!

DanDority
11-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Better strap on that recruiting thong.....Ben and Vic are big pimping....what you gonna do...

Don't you know you should never question a MSU coaches ability to do anything! C'mon Mane!

bulldawg28
11-13-2015, 10:54 AM
We've been in the hunt
If we could ever get to a 50/50 ratio with those three, we would certainly be in the hunt for SEC titles.

tcdog70
11-13-2015, 11:11 AM

Most programs don't beat LSU and Bama. We should do better against the Aggies. Pull any team and see what their record is against LSU and Bama--I am sure it is pretty shitty. How can any MSU fan be unhappy with 20-5. I'll take that going forward.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-13-2015, 11:45 AM

I have always erred on the side of "good coaching trumps going after stars"...BUT I am changing my mind. Yes we have been solid the last few years, but you have to ask yourself a question. Are you content with 8,9 win seasons and coming up short against the big boys every year, and going to a decent bowl? If so then "This is your formula"...BUT in order to go to another level we have to start getting better talent starting off. We have the development down on 2 and 3 stars but imagine what Mullen could do with a consistent group of 4 and 5 star players.

Johnson85
11-13-2015, 12:21 PM
I have always erred on the side of "good coaching trumps going after stars"...BUT I am changing my mind. Yes we have been solid the last few years, but you have to ask yourself a question. Are you content with 8,9 win seasons and coming up short against the big boys every year, and going to a decent bowl? If so then "This is your formula"...BUT in order to go to another level we have to start getting better talent starting off. We have the development down on 2 and 3 stars but imagine what Mullen could do with a consistent group of 4 and 5 star players.

If Mullen can get to 10 wins again this year, you will probably see another small jump in recruiting. The 2017 class will have seen us win 10 wins their sophomore and junior year. Even if we take a step back during their senior year, I expect that between Fitzgerald and/or Staley, it will be clear that another QB is in place to have another good two year run in 2017 and 2018.

Coach34
11-13-2015, 12:25 PM
Freezus is 5-6 vs those 3- with a chance to be .500 next weekend
Malzahn is 4-5 against them with a chance to be .500

Mullen wins the games we are supposed to- but Big Game Dan he is not

defiantdog
11-13-2015, 01:50 PM

Being #1 in all of the polls last year wasn't good enough huh

Liverpooldawg
11-13-2015, 02:00 PM

Gonna go Stansbury on Mullen now? What a ............

maroonmania
11-13-2015, 02:01 PM
If Mullen can get to 10 wins again this year, you will probably see another small jump in recruiting. The 2017 class will have seen us win 10 wins their sophomore and junior year. Even if we take a step back during their senior year, I expect that between Fitzgerald and/or Staley, it will be clear that another QB is in place to have another good two year run in 2017 and 2018.

Well we seem to have regressed somewhat from last year's recruiting class even after being #1 in the nation for half of last season so who knows. I am going to be sick if we lose out on guys in our backyard like AJ Brown and Jeffrey Simmons given how this program has elevated. If Mullen is not going to be successful getting the 4 and 5 star guys out of state then he better do whatever is necessary to get the ones in state that are in shouting distance from Starkville.

Liverpooldawg
11-13-2015, 02:04 PM

I see UM recruiting season well under way, inadvertently or not.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
11-13-2015, 02:19 PM
Less than 48 hours from the bama game is a strange time to be posting about crootin. I know Howland is racking up but geez

SallyStansbury
11-13-2015, 02:20 PM

Risk aversion. His risk setting is very low and consequently we play very conservatively. He needs to dial that shit from 2 up to 10 tomorrow.

While some of the posters may take a bitchy tone with you RE this post, your info is correct and a legit answer to the question someone asked earlier.

I would comment that as we improve (slowly getting better each year) we are going to be favored in more and more games. I think what Mullen is doing is sustainable, even though I hate that word, while Bucky is going to flame out.

It isn't as simple as saying, "Tell Manny to coach like it is the 4th quarter?" "Tell Mullen to play like he did last year in the second half vs Bama." They have to do their thing, but we really really don't need to waste too many offensive snaps with bullshit designed run plays.

SheltonChoked
11-13-2015, 02:22 PM
I think this is a huge miss-conception. Mullen getting Bmac to be a 5 start player does not mean Peters is going to be a 7 star player by his Jr year. It means that we have players that are more ready to play right away. That's what the Stars mean. Player development takes time, a redshirt year, or more sometimes.

But that's why Mullen will never have top 10 classes. He'll continue to sign too many Developmental guys with great work ethic. You cannot play all your signees. so find a guy that is a leader. That will bust his ass everyday trying to make himself and everyone better. Mullen wants a few impact players as signees and a bunch of guys like JJ Watt. (not the current JJ Watt, This one (http://247sports.com/Recruitment/JJ-Watt-5236/RecruitInterests)).

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
11-13-2015, 02:22 PM

Freezus is also 0 for his last 2 against Arkansas. I'd kill for a Bama win but it wouldn't take away the sting of any bad (or should have won) losses.

Johnson85
11-13-2015, 03:35 PM

This is 17ing ridiculous. You can pick any team and you are going to find some coaches who do better against them than their overall record would suggest. Malzahn has taken a team to the national championship game, which is what happens if you beat those teams and don't shit the bed against weaker opponents. Freeze has some big wins and is a good coach, but Dan in the LSU game this year was still orders of magnitude better than Freeze in the Arky game.

And it's not like all of it is within a coach's control. Mullen coached a winning game against LSU his first year here. He can't go on the field and make mini-me pitch the ball or put loft on the ball and he can't make toast wrap up on a punt return.

If you're going to be critical of Mullen, you're basically talking about Houston (and that was really just a replay call), LSU this year, two egg bowl losses, the gator bowl, and the Ok St. game. Those are the only games where Mullen made a particularly bad decision or simply had a team that was not ready to play.

smootness
11-13-2015, 03:39 PM
Holy crap. We're recruiting better in basketball, with a better coach, than we've ever had before...so our football coach better step up or else?

That logic is flawless**

sleepy dawg
11-13-2015, 06:18 PM
I'll care when Howland can produce some Sweet 16s or better. Just like Ole Miss has had bad ass classes that they brag about and we say it doesn't mean shit... I'll care when we've proven it does.

I seen it dawg
11-13-2015, 06:25 PM
Idiots...lm not getting on ******* ass about recruiting. Is it not a good thing in the athletic department that we have 2 new coaches that are outstanding national recruiters? These coaches are competitive inside the building and it's great that they can push each other. I wasn't getting in his ass. Bitches.
#handstoosmall