PDA

View Full Version : Compelling read on Manziel

SignalToNoise
07-30-2013, 02:46 PM
By now some of you might have seen it because it has been making the rounds on social media, but here it is.

Mash here. (http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9521439/heisman-winner-johnny-manziel-celebrity-derail-texas-aggies-season-espn-magazine)

sandwolf
07-30-2013, 11:10 PM
Well I only made it about half way through the article, but from what I gathered, Johnny's problems most likely stem from him being a ****ing spoiled brat who has never been told no. These two sentences jumped off the page at me:

The farm roads and state highways between College Station and Tyler blurred under the wheels of his black Mercedes-Benz, the one he wanted so badly that his dad finally bought it for him. Paul Manziel didn't want his son to do something stupid to get it for himself.

I have no problem with the guy buying his kid a Mercedes, if that is something he wants to do.....but to buy it for him to prevent him from doing "something stupid to get it for himself"? Reading between the lines, I would say that Johnny has his parents trained to give him what he wants or they will get to deal with a good old fashioned temper tantrum......and since they have plenty of money, I guess they made the decision that they would rather shell out the cash than put forth the effort to do some actual parenting.

CadaverDawg
07-30-2013, 11:22 PM
What a spoiled, whiny, little bitch. He AND his parents need to wake the **** up. We're supposed to feel sorry that the pressure is getting to poor little Johnny and his rich ass family? Haha, **** them.

CrazyEyeKilla
07-31-2013, 01:13 AM
I don't understand the point of this story... What the hell were his parents thinking when they agreed to this? It is clear to me, as mentioned, he is a rich kid who is used to getting what he wants. I just can't figure out why it was necessary for his father to agree to this interview.
Before this article, The only thing I knew about Johnny football was his inability to handle fame. After this article I learned that he is extremely rich, drives a Mercedes because his father didn't want to tell him no, and he will not have to work a day in his life if he doesn't want. Then, proceeds to explain why we should feel sorry for him? What the ****?

I'm just very confused... how the **** can a family think like this?

Ghost of Hank Flick
07-31-2013, 06:03 AM
Yeah this story made me think even less of Manziel and his family. It's hard to tell if this angle is true or just a writer embellishing a story. If its true you have to wonder how much he will be able to focus on football. There wasn't one mention of the upcoming season, just them wishing they could be compensated for his playing abilities, worrying about what the Internet says about him, and trying to find a way to slow the drama with bodyguards and therapists.

DownwardDawg
07-31-2013, 07:08 AM
His dad sounds scared of him. He said he cringes when little johnny wants to play golf. What a *****.

FlabLoser
07-31-2013, 07:56 AM
I have to think Johnny F knows how to work hard. You can't be as good as he is without working hard.

Regardless, he is obviously spoiled.

I read something once from a rich guy that said he would give his kids enough money to take care of them, but not enough that they wouldn't have to work. That would be smart.

SignalToNoise
07-31-2013, 08:04 AM
After reading this I was calling the kid a jerk. Also, compelling was the wrong word-- what I was really trying to say was eye-opening.

From reading this it sounds like his parents are wanting to fault A&M for not offering their son better guidance or keeping him out of trouble. I don't understand that rationale at all. Raise your kid to behave. Sure, it's in the best interest of Sumlin to keep Manziel out of trouble and focused on football, but at what point do the parents have to accept some responsibility for the way he is acting? And plenty of other guys have won a Heisman and felt all this "pressure" without acting like a spoiled brat.

I gotta agree with everyone else-- not sure why his dad would agree to this interview. This doesn't help the perception of things at all.

HereComesTheSpiral
07-31-2013, 09:27 AM
Why do I get the feeling we are going to read a story in the near future about him being found dead from a drug overdose. Really have to feel sorry for Sumlin. JF has been nothing but a pain in the ass for him. Maybe the best thing for both parties is to part ways after the season. JF gets out of the spotlight and A&M gets rid of a toxic individual.

ckDOG
07-31-2013, 09:36 AM
It seems that Paul, Johnny, and likely Mom all have issues that need to be addressed asap. Paul sounds paranoid and has daddy issues. Johnny has anger issues and is turning to the booze. These were all probably problems they could minimize and control before the fame. The fame is now amplifying their flaws. They have to stop blaming others for their own issues. Johnny Fooseball is not the first athlete to jump into sudden fame. Quit blaming others, fix your shit, and stop giving the media ammo to pick at you.

SaltyDawg
07-31-2013, 12:18 PM
Why do I get the feeling we are going to read a story in the near future about him being found dead from a drug overdose. Really have to feel sorry for Sumlin. JF has been nothing but a pain in the ass for him. Maybe the best thing for both parties is to part ways after the season. JF gets out of the spotlight and A&M gets rid of a toxic individual.

Hahaha feel bad for Sumlin? Dude got a $1 million raise because of JFF.

And they will part ways after the season, JFF will have a similar year to last year (probably statistically a little worse) and declare for the NFL Draft to be a 1st or 2nd round selection.