PDA

View Full Version : College baseball - Things sure have come a long way

bulldogcountry1
07-30-2013, 02:11 PM
From the information perspective, at least.

The information age has provided us with the ability to keep up with just about everything in sports, from where Johnny football is partying on any given night to who is checking in to rehab. College baseball, though, definitely has come the furthest. Seems like it was just a few years ago when the average State fan would have to wait until winter for the official State Athletics site to ration out cookie cutter articles about the latest signees. Polk would say, "________ is a wonderful student-athlete and we are proud to have him as part of our family.", and that was it. We never knew who was playing summer ball where, much less how they did. We didn't know who had left the team, who was tearing it up in fall ball, or who was injured. Part of that was the state of technology. Part of it was the fact that we had a coach who thought it was still 1937.

Now, multiple sites post articles about recruits and interviews with current players. We know where they are playing right now, and we even know their stats! We get to read tweets from them urging us to pack our bags for Omaha and watch videos of them harassing gorillas and possums. We get to hear about the progress of former players in the minors. We get to go along for the ride.

My life circumstances allowed me to get to attend a lot of games this year. Things don't always work out that way, so the wife I were all in from those freezing days in February to her almost passing out from heat exhaustion just as Renfroe hit the homer in Omaha. Just watching the team was great, but being able to follow the team through it all via my computer made it even more special.

A big salute to all those that make it happen.

MsStateBaseball
07-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Well, I will tell you my story. I got on twitter and saw nothing but LSU, S Carolina, Arkansas, Florida, big fans like me, giving out all this info about their program and there was nothing on MsState. I am proud to say what I did, I emailed Joe Dier and asked if Jim Ellis was on twitter, he emailed me back and said, what a minute. Got an email an hour later saying, he is now. So I got the ball rolling from that perspective. Now if you will look at my followers, I have all kinds, students, recruits, players, mothers and fathers. So I am glad to spread the good news of Miss State Baseball. Half my job is to keep other people straight about our legacy, etc. I had a huge arguement w LSU fans after Graveman threw over the players head. I had to defend him. That lasted about an hour after the game, no lie, my fingers were hurting. Anyway, twitter for me is where all the college baseball news is now adays.

engie
07-30-2013, 03:19 PM
The argument with them went much longer than that on message boards...

It's a rivalry like no other in college baseball now and will be going forward. I REALLY wish we'd had a chance to see them at some point in the postseason. Just think we're in their head -- and that Cohen is alot more Bertman while Mainieri is alot more Polk. Ever since we(literally) had Mainieri in tears in the 2012 SEC baseball tournament over pitcher substitutions, I've known that ultimately it's just a matter of time before we own him(Mainieri specifically).

Todd4State
07-30-2013, 03:59 PM
The argument with them went much longer than that on message boards...

It's a rivalry like no other in college baseball now and will be going forward. I REALLY wish we'd had a chance to see them at some point in the postseason. Just think we're in their head -- and that Cohen is alot more Bertman while Mainieri is alot more Polk. Ever since we(literally) had Mainieri in tears in the 2012 SEC baseball tournament over pitcher substitutions, I've known that ultimately it's just a matter of time before we own him(Mainieri specifically).

They're used to everyone bowing down to them. When he hit them back in the mouth and gave them a taste of their own medicene, they couldn't handle it. I was at the LSU game where Graveman knocked him down, and what I remember from my bleacher seat was Manieri out there all upset and the umpire just shaking his head "no" at him. Later we find out that Manieri wanted Graveman ejected, but of course that's not protocal and we would have protested the game.

messageboardsuperhero
07-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Everything's fine in the Corndog baseball world until they play someone who isn't scared to take the fight to them. Once another team treats LSU the way they treat everyone else, the Corndogs start whining about how LSU does things "the right way." Yeah, bats flips, crotch-grabbing and all. Give me a break.

We are going to challenge them for supremacy in the West for the next several years, and I look forward to that rivalry. Cohen's teams will not be intimidated.

Lefthandersrule
07-30-2013, 05:39 PM
^ Heck Yeah!!

Offshore Dawg
07-30-2013, 06:25 PM
Nice to be proud of baseball again.

nemsdawg
07-30-2013, 10:56 PM
Yes it is! Finally we can sign the best player in Louisiana, instead of them signing ours.

nemsdawg
07-30-2013, 11:00 PM
The IB has totally changed the mindset of our program and our fans (in baseball anyway)