PDA

View Full Version : Lost our first baseball recruit to Butch Thompson...

smootness
11-11-2015, 03:09 PM
Alex Speas signed with Auburn. May not matter, but Kiley McDaniel ranked him 62nd for next year's draft, so there's a chance he goes to college. That would sting.

Taog Redloh
11-11-2015, 03:14 PM
so there's a chance he goes to college.
No, there isn't.

ScottH
11-11-2015, 03:15 PM
Barring injury, zero chance.

Jacksondevildog
11-11-2015, 03:16 PM
Agreed. That guy is projected a top 10-15 pick. I talked with a scout a few weeks back he's signing pro for sure. (Unless an injury).
No, there isn't.

smootness
No, there isn't.

Depends on where he is picked and what the offer is.

smootness
Agreed. That guy is projected a top 10-15 pick. I talked with a scout a few weeks back he's signing pro for sure. (Unless an injury).

My point is that he apparently is not a projected top 10-15 pick, at least according to one of the best in the business. Not right now.

Jacksondevildog
11-11-2015, 03:18 PM
There was little to no chance he was going to make it to starkville or auburn. I'll bump this back in a few months.
My point is that he apparently is not a projected top 10-15 pick, at least according to one of the best in the business. Not right now.

Homedawg
11-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Funny thing is I talked to butch in August after he saw him pitch and he said he wasn't anywhere near our best pitcher we were going to sign. He said he was straight w no breaking ball and couldn't get anyone out. Matter of fact got lit up the last 2 times he saw him. Flat flat flat. He's a pro guy. Highly projectable. Now I'm not saying I didn't want to sign him. I'm not going that far. But when he reopened his recruitment it was obvious he wasn't coming here.

smootness
11-11-2015, 03:41 PM
There was little to no chance he was going to make it to starkville or auburn. I'll bump this back in a few months.

Haha feel free. I was just making note of something that happened with a baseball commit of ours. I realize it's highly unlikely he ends up at Auburn, but there is at least some slim chance.

Homedawg
11-11-2015, 03:45 PM
Haha feel free. I was just making note of something that happened with a baseball commit of ours. I realize it's highly unlikely he ends up at Auburn, but there is at least some slim chance.

There is a better chance he ends up at auburn than here- so there's that. I'd rather have signed him too.

Todd4State
11-11-2015, 04:06 PM
I saw a mock draft where Spaes was a first round pick.

smootness
11-11-2015, 04:09 PM
I didn't really intend for this to be a debate on Speas' draft prospects. I understand there is a high likelihood he is drafted high and signs. I merely mentioned McDaniel's ranking of him to show that perhaps his stock isn't quite as high by everyone as assumed.

I simply created the thread because some people had asked if we might lose any recruits over Thompson leaving, and even though it probably won't matter in the end, this is one we did lose.

maroonmania
11-11-2015, 04:12 PM
Well, so much for any gentleman's agreement that Butch wouldn't go after guys already committed to MSU.

Homedawg
11-11-2015, 04:18 PM
Well, so much for any gentleman's agreement that Butch wouldn't go after guys already committed to MSU.

He had opened up his recruitment before butch got the auburn job

Todd4State
11-11-2015, 04:30 PM
I didn't really intend for this to be a debate on Speas' draft prospects. I understand there is a high likelihood he is drafted high and signs. I merely mentioned McDaniel's ranking of him to show that perhaps his stock isn't quite as high by everyone as assumed.

I simply created the thread because some people had asked if we might lose any recruits over Thompson leaving, and even though it probably won't matter in the end, this is one we did lose.

No hard feelings. It's more about Speas signability than it is about his actual ability at this point in time. So, I don't think McDaniel is necessarily off on his ranking but at the same time everyone saying he is going pro is also correct.

TStationDawg
11-11-2015, 04:45 PM

maroonmania
11-11-2015, 05:33 PM
He had opened up his recruitment before butch got the auburn job

OK, hadn't read anything about him waivering.

I seen it dawg
11-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Speaks won't see college. My business partners kid goes to the showcases around the country as he is a highly rated SS and Speas is gone to draft.

Todd4State
11-11-2015, 05:58 PM
And for the pile on:

http://www.mymlbdraft.com/MLB-Mock-Draft

#22 to the Yankees.

Bothrops
11-11-2015, 06:03 PM
Who cares if he ends up at Auburn.

Jacksondevildog
11-11-2015, 07:27 PM
Speaks won't see college. My business partners kid goes to the showcases around the country as he is a highly rated SS and Speas is gone to draft.

Do we need any more confirmation than this?

mic
11-11-2015, 08:42 PM
Moo Moo sales Increased 10% in Auburn within the past 2 weeks..