PDA

View Full Version : Boy I really miss this offense from 2009

Coach34
07-30-2013, 12:42 PM
BHildreth3 brought this to my attention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m26e0MVYrT0

Compare that to the crap we ran last year and it just makes me sad...the formations and plays were just a completely better plan of attack

Todd4State
07-30-2013, 12:48 PM
I know. Why aren't we that creative anymore?

messageboardsuperhero
07-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Our offense was painful to watch at times last year. In 2009, we had no QB, but we were creative and damn physical.

dawg21
07-30-2013, 12:52 PM
That misdirection lead play went for a lot of yards that night. Will we have a fullback this year?

MSUDawg4Life
07-30-2013, 12:54 PM
Creative? They ran three plays in that whole video. I might be exaggerating a little, but not much.

I do like the two-back set and definitely like having the fullback in there.

I don't think there's a whole lot of creativity in that video though. That's just Hanrahan and Dixon pounding Kentucky.

maroonmania
07-30-2013, 01:01 PM
I know. Why aren't we that creative anymore?

Apparently Hudspeth was the creative force. He is really the only missing piece from the staff that ran the offense in 2009-2010.

BHildreth3
07-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Now you watch this - replace the FB with the Hybrid TE and you can still run this stuff. Mix it in with a few TRussell wide open runs and quick passes to WRs, TEs and LaDarius and then you have the 2013 offense. Yes it sucks to watch this. Misdirection everywhere. We have the line to do even better than this.

I just think the staff wanted to experiment with 4 and 5 wides too much last year. If we have a one back offense, we better have a QB that is 230 that can run to balance out everyone on D going after our tailback. We won't and don't have a great offensive line to live and die without some kind of lead blocking (against the SEC).

Spider-Man
07-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Biggest surprise to me about that video is seeing us down 14-3 to UK at one point. When I think back on that game, I remember it being dominating.

Our problem last year was not having a RB like Dixon or Ballard. Perkins is good, but he isn't the bruiser like those two were.

Coach34
07-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Creative? They ran three plays in that whole video. I might be exaggerating a little, but not much.

I don't think there's a whole lot of creativity in that video though. That's just Hanrahan and Dixon pounding Kentucky.

We ran the shit out of the Counter (and still do)
We ran a lead play
We threw the flair pass to the TB
We ran the draw
We ran the veer (early in the video- just blocked down on the right said, gave it to AD straight ahead...had a back behind him to be pitch if necessary)
We ran the inside zone play out of a TE and 2 wideouts to same side (Ace Right formation)

And that was just plays for the TB- that doesnt include other things that we can run off of it. It was just a better running plan- especially when you have the lead play to compliment the counter- we didnt do that last year.

BHildreth3
07-30-2013, 01:09 PM
How much say so does Hevesy have in the run game? After all he's 'Run game coord'

MSUDawg4Life
07-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Now you watch this - replace the FB with the Hybrid TE and you can still run this stuff. Mix it in with a few TRussell wide open runs and quick passes to WRs, TEs and LaDarius and then you have the 2013 offense. Yes it sucks to watch this. Misdirection everywhere. We have the line to do even better than this.

I just think the staff wanted to experiment with 4 and 5 wides too much last year. If we have a one back offense, we better have a QB that is 230 that can run to balance out everyone on D going after our tailback. We won't and don't have a great offensive line to live and die without some kind of lead blocking (against the SEC).

That's what I was thinking when I was watching the video. If we could replace the FB with a TE, we could still run some of the same plays.

Coach34
07-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Apparently Hudspeth was the creative force. He is really the only missing piece from the staff that ran the offense in 2009-2010.

The Legend of Hud continues. As I've said 100 times- Hud had input, but we run Mullen's offense. Hud made suggestions, some were used, most werent. And if he added any plays- we can still run them- he didnt copyright them.

Hud didnt call plays either while here- and that comes straight from his mouth. He made suggestions between possessions just like Hev did and does.

Big4Dawg
07-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Man I miss that guy

hometowndawg
07-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Best part of the video by far was Dixon punishing defenders at the end of his runs. Put several ppl on there backs.

bocfarm
07-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Hanarahan and a power RB....we miss both badly

Cowbellringer
07-30-2013, 01:39 PM
Compare that to the crap we ran last year and it just makes me sad...the formations and plays were just a completely better plan of attack

Something changed after the 2011 Auburn game. Blame it on Relf being injured, OL injuries, or change in philosophy, whatever it was we got soft. We went from a creative, run first, win the line of scrimmage team to a 4-wide, single back, pass first team.

Mullen needs to get back to his bread and butter. Give me a 2 back formation with a running QB, this is what Mississippi boys do best. Run the damn ball. The key is to be creative in our formations and mixing our run calls more effectively. I love our counter play, but you have to set this up with the lead play.

Homedawg
07-30-2013, 02:15 PM
The Legend of Hud continues. As I've said 100 times- Hud had input, but we run Mullen's offense. Hud made suggestions, some were used, most werent. And if he added any plays- we can still run them- he didnt copyright them.

Hud didnt call plays either while here- and that comes straight from his mouth. He made suggestions between possessions just like Hev did and does.

^this. Every last sentence of this.

maroonmania
07-30-2013, 02:21 PM

I said that as much sarcastically as anything else but just making the point that after he left post-2010 the offense seemed to take a step back. Partly to make the offense more suitable for Russell but I don't think that is the only reason. I mean there is no doubt our WR coaching went backward when we hired the kid that got run off before Brewster came in instead of going out and getting someone who was more seasoned. The timing is likely more coincidental than anything relative to Hudspeth's departure but it is what happened.

maroonmania
07-30-2013, 02:23 PM
Something changed after the 2011 Auburn game. Blame it on Relf being injured, OL injuries, or change in philosophy, whatever it was we got soft. We went from a creative, run first, win the line of scrimmage team to a 4-wide, single back, pass first team.

Mullen needs to get back to his bread and butter. Give me a 2 back formation with a running QB, this is what Mississippi boys do best. Run the damn ball. The key is to be creative in our formations and mixing our run calls more effectively. I love our counter play, but you have to set this up with the lead play.

Apparently so because with our MS HS coaching that's all most of our players really know how to do upon entering college. The poster who showed our pitiful production of HS QBs kind of proved that point.

HancockCountyDog
07-30-2013, 02:49 PM
BHildreth3 brought this to my attention:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m26e0MVYrT0

We ran the same play or approximately the same play probably 15-20 times, just HB counter, HB power and a little read option behind Sherrod. Also, Dixon played like a man possessed.

I think you are on to something though, the more complicated we tried to make the offense the worse it has looked.

Coach34
07-30-2013, 02:56 PM
We ran the same play or approximately the same play probably 15-20 times, just HB counter, HB power and a little read option behind Sherrod. Also, Dixon played like a man possessed.

I think you are on to something though, the more complicated we tried to make the offense the worse it has looked.

We ran the shit out of the Counter (and still do)
We ran a lead play
We threw the flair pass to the TB
We ran the draw
We ran the veer (early in the video- just blocked down on the right said, gave it to AD straight ahead...had a back behind him to be pitch if necessary)
We ran the inside zone play out of a TE and 2 wideouts to same side (Ace Right formation)

DownwardDawg
07-30-2013, 03:05 PM
[QUOTE=Spider-Man;32609]Biggest surprise to me about that video is seeing us down 14-3 to UK at one point. When I think back on that game, I remember it being dominating. QUOTE]

Only dominating thing about it was AD. It went down to the last minute. It was a very tight game despite AD running for 252 yards.

I love that video. I've only watched it about 742 times.

Dawgtini
07-30-2013, 04:47 PM
That FB Hanrahan (sp) thr transfer from Bama was a stud. Made MUCH BIG holes for Mr. Dixon.

Todd4State
07-30-2013, 05:32 PM

But we did them out of different formations which gives the same plays different looks to the defense. I saw the wishbone on goal line as well. Where has that been?

Todd4State
07-30-2013, 05:33 PM
About our fullback- I am a big Christian Holmes fan.

bocfarm
07-30-2013, 07:30 PM
I have no idea on Holmes as a FB but no one has sealed as good since Hanrahan. Go back and look at the video. Not just up the middle but inside blocks as well and he was a jr in that video his sr yr was even better.

woozman
07-30-2013, 09:06 PM
Dixon kicked ass in that game and taunted them to do something about it.

After that game, a K-Y poster made the comment on their board that their players were bouncing off of Dixon like they were playing against the All Madden Team. I used that as my sig line for months - good times...

Coach 57
07-31-2013, 06:05 AM
When we are a "split back" offense from the gun is when our offense runs like a sewing machine. Smooth! It is hard as crap to stop! This is why I (seems like Cadaver too) are excited to see Dak take over. From his spot all he has to do is read the DE while running the dive. If he crashes....pull the ball out and run the speed option off the edge. If he stays......let the dive keep. With a QB that is a threat to run every single down you can you can run variations of that play all day LONG! Then when the backers start to creep (coaches have to watch this) you line up split back again. Fake the dive....roll hard to sell the option and hit the dual threat TE that's behind the creeping LBs coverage on a roll out or throw the corner route to the "z" receiver who SHOULD be open too.

We have to understand and make sure as a fanbase not to judge Mullen on this year too harshly REGARDLESS of the outcome. He STILL hasn't coached HIS QB yet. You wanna judge him? Do it after next yr. Tough schedule or not, there won't be room for excuses anymore. I think we'll be right were we need to be.

Op4isabitch
07-31-2013, 08:30 AM
Hanarahan and a power RB....we miss both badly

Hanrahan is what's missing! We need a punishing FB like him, we have JRob and Griffin if he is healthy to pound the ball, just need that FB.

bocfarm
07-31-2013, 09:27 AM
Hanrahan is what's missing! We need a punishing FB like him, we have JRob and Griffin if he is healthy to pound the ball, just need that FB.

I agree, not sure ab JRob yet but Griffin could of been Ballard 2.0 without the injuries....he ran hard, still has a chance to be great.

BHildreth3
07-31-2013, 09:33 AM
When we are a "split back" offense from the gun is when our offense runs like a sewing machine. Smooth! It is hard as crap to stop! This is why I (seems like Cadaver too) are excited to see Dak take over. From his spot all he has to do is read the DE while running the dive. If he crashes....pull the ball out and run the speed option off the edge. If he stays......let the dive keep. With a QB that is a threat to run every single down you can you can run variations of that play all day LONG! Then when the backers start to creep (coaches have to watch this) you line up split back again. Fake the dive....roll hard to sell the option and hit the dual threat TE that's behind the creeping LBs coverage on a roll out or throw the corner route to the "z" receiver who SHOULD be open too.

This is good...you explained it better than i could...Look it runs better with Dak, but i still think that we can blend this (with less option) for Tyler. Use the split back and pistol more, and less of one-back shotgun.

We have to understand and make sure as a fanbase not to judge Mullen on this year too harshly REGARDLESS of the outcome. He STILL hasn't coached HIS QB yet. You wanna judge him? Do it after next yr. Tough schedule or not, there won't be room for excuses anymore. I think we'll be right were we need to be.

BHildreth3
07-31-2013, 09:35 AM

Don't be mislead by the 'loss of the FB position' on the depth chart/roster. I think the reason we are going away from the "FB" position is because it's easier to find a TE/RB that can be used more effectively as a pass catcher and run blocker. We don't have a Kenny Williamson type FB, but we have enough bodies to lead block.

engie
07-31-2013, 09:53 AM
I agree, not sure ab JRob yet but Griffin could of been Ballard 2.0 without the injuries....he ran hard, still has a chance to be great.

Griffin = Dixon 2.0 with more topend speed if healthy... That's the better comparison IMO...

Ballard was more of a tweener to me. The offense didn't rush quite as well with him back there as it did with Dixon back there(and AD did it against a much harder schedule) for whatever reason and I think alot of it has to do with how punishing of a runner that Dixon was...

codeDawg
07-31-2013, 11:21 AM
The explanation I keep hearing about last year's vanilla offense was that our OL was injured to hell and back and couldn't do any of the fancy movement we need to do to run a lot of the outside and misdirection plays. I think it's an excuse for shitty game plans and play calling.

You can work around that stuff. The biggest thing that stood out to me last year, especially in the running game, was how long it took for a play to develop. It seemed like guys were standing around waiting on guys to get on their blocks. By the time everybody was where they were supposed to be, somebody on D got off their man and was in the backfield. I know the counter is a slower play, but the way we ran it last year was awful.

The one thing I would like to see up borrow from Freeze is that his guys are running full speed from the time the ball is snapped. They might get met at the LOS, but they have a chance to move it forward a few yards from there instead of getting smashed behind the line.

All the guys we have in the backfield this year have speed. I want to see us use that instead of waiting around on a 320 lb guy to pull.

HancockCountyDog
07-31-2013, 12:25 PM
This is good...you explained it better than i could...Look it runs better with Dak, but i still think that we can blend this (with less option) for Tyler. Use the split back and pistol more, and less of one-back shotgun.

Here is what I don't get, a lot of those runs where Dixon was so successful was with Tyson Lee at QB. I mean, its not like we had a great QB handing him the ball or causing misdirection for the defense.

I went back and looked at the video again, and so many of those run were behind Sherrod (Good gameplan) and Im wondering if that might be a pretty big missing ingredient as well. Throw in the fact that we are talking about the all-time MSU rusher and someone that could probably be a starting NFL HB if he was given an opportunity.