PDA

View Full Version : Defer or take the ball Saturday

confucius say
11-11-2015, 09:15 AM
If we win the toss?

msstate7
11-11-2015, 09:17 AM
Take it. Our defense is better in the 2nd half.

gravedigger
11-11-2015, 09:17 AM
Defer

PassInterference
11-11-2015, 09:23 AM

This all day. Strategy should be to punch them in the mouth early and often.

What's more likely - us forcing a 3 & out on defense, or us scoring on the opening drive? Yep, go on offense.

And correct - our D is better in the 2nd half.

TrapGame
11-11-2015, 09:25 AM
Take it. The first seven plays will be scripted. Score first and put it on Coker, Henry and Kiffen to answer.

starkvegasdawg
11-11-2015, 09:26 AM
Take it all day long. I'd rather the first time they touch the ball them be them hopefully driving to try and tie the game up at 7 and not driving to go up 7. This may be my paranoia but I think this is a game where the crowd and team will be jacked at the start, but if we struggle early such as letting AL get the opening kick and march down the field to go up 7-0 and then we stall on our first drive then some air may come out of the stadium. We all know our struggles against AL and how this game has broken more than one season for us. I could see everybody just waiting for a slow start and everybody get the "here it goes again" mentality. I think we need to take every opportunity we can to get out front first and keep momentum. Yes, I know the game will have ebbs and flows and this could be the game that ends the 4th quarter TD streak. But I think for us to have our best shot the stadium needs to stay pumped and everybody inside the stadium from the players, fans, down to the guy walking the stands selling cotton candy need to stay amped.

ShotgunDawg
11-11-2015, 09:28 AM

I agree. We play better defense in the 2nd half and surely Dan doesn't have an offensive game plan designed to "fill out" Bama early.

That being said, if history is any indicator, I full expect Mullen to defer.

Dawg61
11-11-2015, 09:52 AM
Take the ball and throw it deep play 1.

chainedup_Dawg
11-11-2015, 09:56 AM
You've got to take it. What would be tougher playing on the road, getting the ball and driving for a score on the first drive of the game or the home team driving down the field and scoring on their first drive and the crowd cement itself for the rest of the game? Take it and go balls out from the get go

War Machine Dawg
11-11-2015, 10:53 AM
Take the ball. It's not even a question. Be aggressive from the start, try to get ahead early and make Bama play catch-up. It's our only chance. But I guarantee our first 3 plays will be Checkdown Charlie in nature - bubble screen, swing route, etc. I'm convinced Coach Not To Lose Mullen will show up on Saturday.

ShotgunDawg
11-11-2015, 10:58 AM
Take the ball. It's not even a question. Be aggressive from the start, try to get ahead early and make Bama play catch-up. It's our only chance. But I guarantee our first 3 plays will be Checkdown Charlie in nature - bubble screen, swing route, etc. I'm convinced Coach Not To Lose Mullen will show up on Saturday.

I agree, there are certainly some matchups that we can exploit & win this game, but It's "Show Me Week".

I've seen enough conservative, deer in head lights Mullen, in big games, to believe that he's a really really good coach that lacks the "slit your throat" mentality or balls to let loose & let his team just play.

Until I see him not over coach & be aggressive in big games, I just going to assume that he doesn't have it in him.

Calling a time out so the offense can catch their breath & then getting a delay of game on the final drive against LSU? ARE YOU 17ING KIDDING ME?

This is a sign of a man with little feel for the flow of the game, someone who lacks balls, & feels that he has to control every little thing.

If it were up to me, Dak would be our offensive coordinator Saturday. I wish Dan would just tell Dak, "You've been here 5 years, you've seen everything, you been in on game planning meetings, you are completely prepared for everything that Bama can throw at us & you have an advantage over me because your on the field, can go quicker, & have a greater sense of what the optimal call is. GO RUN OUR OFFENSE."

shoeless joe
11-11-2015, 11:25 AM
Defer. I always want the ball to start 2nd half.

Homedawg
11-11-2015, 11:47 AM
Defer. I always want the ball to start 2nd half.

This.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-11-2015, 11:48 AM
Defer

FISHDAWG
11-11-2015, 11:57 AM
This.

that ^^^ ..... we need to make the most of our time of poss and seeing what they are doing in the first half provides that intel ... then add a little 2nd half momentum

mstatefan91
11-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Take the ball. We don't want to be starting our first drive from our own 10 if we do force a punt, and we don't want them up 7-0 after the first drive.

blacklistedbully
11-11-2015, 12:51 PM
I don't think it will matter. Game will be won or lost based on how we play the entire 60 minutes. Guarantee you Bama will not fold or feel extra pressure if we score first. They have been there and done that too many times for too many years.

rolodawg
11-11-2015, 12:59 PM
Defer.....I want to start with the ball in the second half. Also if you happen to score just before the half, you carry so much more momentum going into the second half. If you are taking the opening kick just to be aggressive, then why not be super aggressive and just onside kick every time you score****

msstate7
11-11-2015, 01:00 PM
I don't think it will matter. Game will be won or lost based on how we play the entire 60 minutes. Guarantee you Bama will not fold or feel extra pressure if we score first. They have been there and done that too many times for too many years.

On the flip side, if bama scores first will we feel extra pressure?

ShotgunDawg
11-11-2015, 01:33 PM

Nah, we are used to this as well. We went down early against both LSU this year and Bama last year, yet almost came back to win both games.

I know we lost both, but our guys are experienced and know they can come back. I'd obviously rather jump out ahead, but I don't expect panic either way. That's junior high stuff.

blacklistedbully
11-11-2015, 02:10 PM

Nope. Think our guys know it's going to be a 60 minute battle. Also, it's not as if we haven't fallen behind early before.

msstate7
11-11-2015, 02:19 PM
Nope. Think our guys know it's going to be a 60 minute battle. Also, it's not as if we haven't fallen behind early before.

I'm more worried about our crowd. I think we need a good start to keep the crowd energized

Dental Dawg33
11-11-2015, 02:55 PM
I've always been a defer and get the ball to start the second half kinda guy, but I like the idea of taking it if we win the toss. Run the field in 7-8 plays, put up 7, keeping Bama on their heels. Get the crowd amped up, get the defense amped up, and completely take momentum from snap one. Will Bama roll over and die, hell no. But the momentum would be huge. Most of us on here wouldn't let an opening drive Bama TD knock the wind from our sails, but with some of the fans, it would. Like when LSU jumped out front of us. I was the only one in my section that cheered continuously until we got back close and everyone came back to life. Keep the others in the game, crowd will be a helpful factor Saturday

Homedawg
11-11-2015, 03:43 PM
Take the ball. We don't want to be starting our first drive from our own 10 if we do force a punt, and we don't want them up 7-0 after the first drive.

Flip side to that is what happened last year. Not move the ball and they own field position for the entire first quarter and really the half.

MSUDawg99
11-11-2015, 06:16 PM
I say take it as most at the top of the thread said. The whole punch them in the mouth first & often thing. We can't come from behind & beat Bama.

drunkernhelldawg
11-11-2015, 07:18 PM
I used to like the defer. Somehow, I've come to despise it. You always want the ball. Play the first half. The second half is in the future. It's best to be up when it starts.

TUSK
11-11-2015, 07:37 PM
as a Bammer, I'd prefer to put my defense on the field first...

if I were an MSU guy, I'd want the ball as soon as I could get it...

interesting...

msstate7
11-11-2015, 07:47 PM
as a Bammer, I'd prefer to put my defense on the field first...

if I were an MSU guy, I'd want the ball as soon as I could get it...

interesting...
When your opponent has a superior overall team, I think jumping up 7-0 can be a huge advantage when you're at home.

archdog
11-11-2015, 08:11 PM
I want to 1, win the field position game
2 win on the score board. I am tired of losing the field position game to bama.

sorrydog
11-11-2015, 09:41 PM
Our best player EVER is Dak, give him the ball ASAP!

TUSK
11-11-2015, 09:50 PM
When your opponent has a superior overall team, I think jumping up 7-0 can be a huge advantage when you're at home.

that's a good point, buddy...

I'd like MSU to be on O first bc the crowd wont be as "cowbellish" to start the game... allegedly....*

starkvegasdawg
11-11-2015, 09:57 PM
that's a good point, buddy...

I'd like MSU to be on O first bc the crowd wont be as "cowbellish" to start the game... allegedly....*

We clang responsibly.