PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Stat MSU/BAMA

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2015, 04:14 PM
http://i.imgur.com/afxzOk4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Xkj3ZRM.jpg

I know many on here have mentioned that a big key in the game is stopping Bama on 1st down & getting them into a 3rd & long game in which we force Jacob Coker to beat us.

Well, these stats seem to indicate that may be possible. Personally, I believe Bama allows so many tackles for loss because I believe Derrick Henry has poor vision & doesn't know how to find a hole. I think he's one of the most overrated players in the country, not an NFL caliber running back, & is basically a faster, bigger, quicker version Shumpert. That allows him to make big plays, but the lack of vision & lack of a low center of gravity, makes him extremely vulnerable being tripped in the backfield & being contained.

I think Nick James, AJ Jefferson, Ryan Brown, & CJ are going to have a big game, make some big plays, & force Bama into a number of 3 & outs. Bama's offense has been known to go through dry spells this season.

Defensively, the key to this game will be our secondary making about a half dozen tackles on Henry that keep him from breaking long runs. These plays may be a 10-12 gain, but, if our secondary tackles and keeps Henry from breaking free, there's a fairly good chance that we can get a tackle for a loss & get them into another 3rd & long.

What are your thoughts?

Taog Redloh
11-10-2015, 04:33 PM
I'm with you on Henry. Hit that guy in the backfield and he falls easier than Holloway. Let him gain steam and he's tough to bring down.

Good find on those stats.

Jack Lambert
11-10-2015, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;446102]http://i.imgur.com/afxzOk4.jpg

& doesn't know how to find a hole.

?/QUOTE]

He doesn't have to find the hoes. I am pretty sure they find him.

UMCDawg16
11-10-2015, 04:43 PM
I've been saying that about Henry for a long time as far as your comparison to Shumpert. It bothers me that people think Henry should win the Heisman. Fournette is miles better than Henry.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2015, 04:46 PM
I've been saying that about Henry for a long time as far as your comparison to Shumpert. It bothers me that people think Henry should win the Heisman. Fournette is miles better than Henry.

Fournette is incredibly better than Henry. If Bama had Fournette, they'd be virtually unbeatable. It's not Fournette's fault that he had to run against Bama's D-line & Henry got to run against LSU's D-line. I think both O-lines are pretty close.

The media currently touting Henry for the Heisman is an embarrassment. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have Henry, because he's certainly better than anything we have, but that's not saying much

gravedigger
11-10-2015, 05:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/afxzOk4.jpg

I know many on here have mentioned that a big key in the game is stopping Bama on 1st down & getting them into a 3rd & long game in which we force Jacob Coker to beat us.

Well, these stats seem to indicate that may be possible. Personally, I believe Bama allows so many tackles for loss because I believe Derrick Henry has poor vision & doesn't know how to find a hole. I think he's one of the most overrated players in the country, not an NFL caliber running back, & is basically a faster, bigger, quicker version Shumpert. That allows him to make big plays, but the lack of vision & lack of a low center of gravity, makes him extremely vulnerable being tripped in the backfield & being contained.

I think Nick James, AJ Jefferson, Ryan Brown, & CJ are going to have a big game, make some big plays, & force Bama into a number of 3 & outs. Bama's offense has been known to go through dry spells this season.

Defensively, the key to this game will be our secondary making about a half dozen tackles on Henry that keep him from breaking long runs. These plays may be a 10-12 gain, but, if our secondary tackles and keeps Henry from breaking free, there's a fairly good chance that we can get a tackle for a loss & get them into another 3rd & long.

What are your thoughts?

My thought is the same it was after the lsu game:

If the correct defensive call is made, even the best running back will be stopped. The defense has to be FORCED to spread their coverage unless the talent difference is huge between the ol and the dl. Shump is not great, but our ol in run blocking is terrible.

msstate7
11-10-2015, 05:19 PM
Henry may be easy to tackle in the backfield, but he has freakish moves and speed in the open field. He can hit you for a huge run

TUSK
11-10-2015, 07:38 PM
The issue with TFL/Henry is way more an OL issue (gettin' BLOWN UP) than a "lack of vision" issue... That, and it "seems" to take him a step or two to "get up to speed"... He's not nearly as explosive as Fournette, nor does he possess LF7's acceleration...

However, 3 yards beyond the LOS, the disparity is negligible, at best...

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2015, 07:46 PM
The issue with TFL/Henry is way more an OL issue (gettin' BLOWN UP) than a "lack of vision" issue... That, and it "seems" to take him a step or two to "get up to speed"... He's not nearly as explosive as Fournette, nor does he possess LF7's acceleration...

Then it's both

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 36m36 minutes ago
Didn't expect to see this, but Derrick Henry really doesn't hit the hole very hard for 241 pounds. A little timid vs Wisconsin

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 33m33 minutes ago
Even on Derrick Henry's long TD run, he's wading through the mud waiting for an opening. Just not explosive or elusive at the LOS.

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 23m23 minutes ago
Charted the entire Alabama game, saw Derrick Henry cut back once. He hits the called rushing lane or runs into the pile majority of the time

Homedawg
11-10-2015, 08:21 PM

Oooookkkkkk.....right. And let's say you are, getting to 3 yards beyond the Los is kind of a big deal. Comparing Henry and LF isn't a fair comparison. Double a player to a big leaguer.

TUSK
11-10-2015, 08:46 PM
I'll keep my word and bow out...

Henry sucks.

klong-dog
11-10-2015, 08:55 PM
I had never been too impressed with Henry until this year, basically after the OM game, he's been running with authority. Once he's break thru the los, he's one of the best in the country.

Homedawg
11-10-2015, 08:55 PM

Henry sucks.

No one said he sucks. But he's not LF and not close. Sorry to hurt your feelings.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2015, 09:00 PM

Henry sucks.

Don't be dramatic here big boy.

No one said he sucked. I think every MSU fan would take him.

Just saying that he isn't in Fournette's league & I don't think he's an NFL caliber back. I could see him having an Anthony Dixon type career in the NFL. He'll stick around because he's big & can be used in a utility role, but I don't see every down back in his future

TUSK
11-10-2015, 09:22 PM
Don't be dramatic here big boy.

No one said he sucked. I think every MSU fan would take him.

Just saying that he isn't in Fournette's league & I don't think he's an NFL caliber back. I could see him having an Anthony Dixon type career in the NFL. He'll stick around because he's big & can be used in a utility role, but I don't see every down back in his future

I was mostly jokin' 'gun.... it's just the whole Russell is better than McCarron, Dixon is better than Ingram/Richardson, etc... I'm a "homer" too, but to say Henry isn't an "NFL back"?

I could be wrong but I think he'll at least be serviceable a few years...

Regarding LF7, I agree he's better than Henry, but the opinion that it's a huge chasm of difference is a stretch, IMO...

but I do know this, LF7 will likely see better better defensive lines in the NFL than he did last weekend...

msstate7
11-10-2015, 09:36 PM
but I do know this, LF7 will likely see better better defensive lines in the NFL than he did last weekend...

LF will certainly see better dlines in the NFL, but he'll have a better oline to face those dlines too

Homedawg
11-10-2015, 09:45 PM
I was mostly jokin' 'gun.... it's just the whole Russell is better than McCarron, Dixon is better than Ingram/Richardson, etc... I'm a "homer" too, but to say Henry isn't an "NFL back"?

I could be wrong but I think he'll at least be serviceable a few years...

Regarding LF7, I agree he's better than Henry, but the opinion that it's a huge chasm of difference is a stretch, IMO...

Who said he isn't an nfl back? You are turning into a paranoid rebel. And sure he will see Better d lines and surely he will have a better one blocking too. Goes both ways.

TUSK
11-10-2015, 09:59 PM
Who said he isn't an nfl back? You are turning into a paranoid rebel. And sure he will see Better d lines and surely he will have a better one blocking too. Goes both ways.

Shotgun...

I don't think he's an NFL caliber back.

and don't compare me to rebels... I am paranoid, but it has zero to do with football.

Homedawg
11-10-2015, 10:07 PM
Shotgun...

and don't compare me to rebels... I am paranoid, but it has zero to do with football.

Fair enough. Missed that. My bad.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2015, 10:13 PM
Shotgun...

My bad

I meant that I don't think he's a featured NFL back. Not that I don't think he's an NFL player that can do a number of things

TUSK
11-10-2015, 10:16 PM
My bad

I meant that I don't think he's a featured NFL back. Not that I don't think he's an NFL player that can do a number of things

I can dig that, buddy..... didn't mean to "call you out"... it's all good...

Heck, I still have Trent Richardson to hang my houndstooth hat on, right? [sarcastericks like a Meffer....]

smootness
11-10-2015, 10:26 PM
I'll go ahead and say I don't think he's an NFL-caliber back.

I'm sure he'll be drafted, but I think he will have no better a career than Trent Richardson has had. His two biggest issues are a lack of vision and a lack of initial burst through the hole. He's basically a big guy who can run really fast once he's able to run in a straight line.

Well, guess what the two best traits for an NFL back are...

smootness
11-10-2015, 10:28 PM
Dixon is better than Richardson

Well, that would have been correct.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2015, 10:36 PM
I'll also say that I think evaluating Alabama RBs is one of the more difficult evaluations to do.

Much like Kentucky basketball players, when you are surrounded by so much talent, the coaches don't ask you to do things that aren't your strength. Many of Henry's flaws are covered up by or not noticed by fans because many times he's running through the parted Red Sea.

TUSK
11-10-2015, 10:39 PM
Well, that would have been correct.

eh kay.

Jarius
11-10-2015, 11:57 PM
Anthony Dixon got in the NFL in 2010 and is still there. Trent Richardson got there in 2012 and is now
Unemployed due to sucking.