PDA

View Full Version : Best chance to beat LSU since 2000

The Croom Diaries
07-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Aside from the in-game chance to win in 2009 and the perceived chance in 2001 when we were preseason #18 and they were preseason #14 and they were coming to Starkville. I think this year presents our best chance (not saying its a great chance) to beat them. And out of the games against USC, A&M, LSU and Bama I'd say this is the one we have the best chance in.

They have been gutted on defense other than LB. They lose 10 juniors to the NFL from last year's team.

Experience of our O-line vs. a weaker than usual LSU D-line. If we can at least mark this up as a draw that is a plus compared to past years.

Maybe the biggest reason: sandwich game for them. They play at Georgia prior and vs. Florida after. They didn't buy their allotment of visiting tickets so we are now selling them to MSU fans, but even bigger is the fact that UGA is a monster game and so is Florida.

There really isn't many other big games that day - Auburn vs. Ole Miss, UGA vs. UT and FLA vs. UPig are the only other games that would arguably be bigger than this one and really they are just on par. This game should be at night. The only games we've played at night vs. LSU in Starkville have been the 2007 and 2011 games and they were on a Thursday. 2001 might have been but the season was lost at that point. Point is the crowd should be rocking pretty good.

Of course no thread starter of mine would be complete without throwing in my LSU article for today. http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2013/7/30/4257662/is-2013-the-year-state-finally-beats-lsu

Dawg61
07-30-2013, 10:41 AM
I think they'll have a much improved QB though and they ALWAYS have RB's so I don't feel confident the streak ends this year unfortunately.

Political Hack
07-30-2013, 10:44 AM
It's Met's 4th QB Coach/OC in 4 years. That's a lot to handle.

I think they're going to be better than people realize, but I also think we match up really well with them. Should be a great game.

SignalToNoise
07-30-2013, 10:49 AM
It's Met's 4th QB Coach/OC in 4 years. That's a lot to handle.

I think they're going to be better than people realize, but I also think we match up really well with them. Should be a great game.

Yeah they are tough year in and year out, but we should be able to play them a tough game. I think we can hang around until the 4th quarter and give ourselves a chance for the upset.

drunkernhelldawg
07-30-2013, 10:52 AM
We beat them under temporary lights around 1984. One of the first night games ever at Scott Field.

The Croom Diaries
07-30-2013, 11:04 AM
We beat them under temporary lights around 1984. One of the first night games ever at Scott Field.

After we won that game (our 5th straight in the series btw) we were 5-3-1 vs. LSU in Starkville. Since, we are 1-10. Our mental block against them is incredible. Even when we are good and they are bad (1998 - SEC West champs they go 4-7) we still get pounded 41-6. We have only played them to 4 games in the last 21 years to within the margin of a touchdown: 1993, 99, 00 and 09. Just incredible.

deltadawg99
07-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Not saying we win, but I really like the matchup for us in this one. Some may disagree, but I think the game we played against them last year was one of our better games. Yes I know the score didn't show it, but that 100 yard pick 6 was a 14 point swing. If we score instead of giving them a free touchdown, then I believe we would have been down by 7 with around 5 minutes left.

LSU is always going to be loaded with talent so you never know who they have taking the place of the guys they lost, but they did lost some very key pieces last year.

Pollodawg
07-30-2013, 11:32 AM
They could also see us as a must win sandwiched in between those two more premier match ups and considering they could easily lose both, the pressure could be there for them to win.

MarketingBully01
07-30-2013, 12:36 PM
It's possible especially if we are 4-0 and going in with some confidence. I will say I will be disappointed if we are not 3-1 at that point playing them but could be another stepping stone if we do come away with a win.

Political Hack
07-30-2013, 01:32 PM
athletes win games. Chad Jones single handedly beat us in 09'.

Coach34
07-30-2013, 01:40 PM
We had a chance to win in 2009- LSU makes epic goalline stand

It was a 7 point game in the 4th quarter in 2011- even though we lost 2 OL starters and a QB, and then Tyler ended up getting hurt also- which is why Mullen appeared to "give up". Russell had hurt his knee and he couldnt let him get hit again. This is what forced Ralph back in the line-up the next week while hurt- and he never recovered really.

We will have our shot again this year- we just have to make the play this time

Offshore Dawg
07-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Unfortunately for us the LSU & BAMA's of the world just reload with 4 & 5 stars that have been waiting their chance. However sometimes the Stars just align in our favor.

Dawgface
07-30-2013, 07:05 PM
I can't/won't get my hopes up. They just reload and keep on trucking along. But I will celebrate whenever we eventually beat them. ;)

gravedigger
07-30-2013, 07:21 PM
THE first night game ever at Scott field.

Pollodawg
07-30-2013, 09:29 PM
athletes win games. Chad Jones single handedly beat us in 09'.

Was a punt or kick off that he returned for the score. And I thought we had him dead to rights a couple of times. Then he bats down the game winning pass to a wide open TE in the back of the endzone. Broke my heart.

Political Hack
07-30-2013, 10:28 PM
he also made a big tackle on that GL stand. It was a punt, and I think it was a 90 yard return.

nemsdawg
07-30-2013, 10:53 PM
I still get physically ill seeing Dixon fly over the top of the pile ON THE FAKE! Those have to be 4 plays Mullen wishes he had back.

Raytoraid83
07-30-2013, 10:56 PM
he also made a big tackle on that GL stand. It was a punt, and I think it was a 90 yard return.

And didn't he save the national championship game in baseball that year too?

drunkernhelldawg
07-30-2013, 11:02 PM
THE first night game ever at Scott field.

Thought so. Just wasn't sure.