PDA

View Full Version : How do we beat the Bama from this past Saturday

starkvegasdawg
11-09-2015, 12:54 PM
I'll freely admit, that Alabama team that showed up against LSU scared me to death. That was not the same Alabama team that sleep walked through TN and put a big red bow on the choke job they did against TSUN. If the Alabama team that showed up against LSU is the same one that comes out of the tunnel against us Saturday it could be a long night. I truly hope I am 100% wrong about that last statement. Furthermore, I hope it is bad bama that shows up. But assuming they don't here is what I hope I do (and don't) see.

1. I hope I don't see Holloway run anywhere near the middle of the line. For that matter I hope I don't see any of our RB's try to run up the middle.
2. I hope Dak doesn't try to hold onto the ball too long. When a play breaks down he needs to follow in the footsteps of their most famous person and Run Forrest. That may be the only way we get any kind of yards on the ground.
3. I hope he throws the ball until his arm falls off and we have to put it back on with duct tape, gorilla glue, and bailing wire. 50 pass attempts would not upset me.
4. Our receivers have to catch everything in their zip code. We can't afford drops.
5. We have to tackle. There can't be any two and three broken tackles before we get a guy to the ground. We do that and Henry will have 200 yards by halftime.
6. Aggressive playcalling from the start on both sides of the ball. If we come out and play conservative and like we're scared we'll end up down 17 before we finish our first drink. If that happens then the game is all but over. They'll just start pounding it on the ground and eating clock and getting just enough scores to keep us from coming back.
7. I wouldn't mind seeing some diamond formation read option plays. Anything to cause some misdirection.
8. Play at a lightning speed tempo. Start the game in a two minute offense and speed up from there. Saban has already said he hates teams that play fast.

Bully78
11-09-2015, 01:06 PM
I'm afraid Derrick Henry will run through our defense like a hot knife through butter.

Dental Dawg33
11-09-2015, 01:30 PM
I'll freely admit, that Alabama team that showed up against LSU scared me to death. That was not the same Alabama team that sleep walked through TN and put a big red bow on the choke job they did against TSUN. If the Alabama team that showed up against LSU is the same one that comes out of the tunnel against us Saturday it could be a long night. I truly hope I am 100% wrong about that last statement. Furthermore, I hope it is bad bama that shows up. But assuming they don't here is what I hope I do (and don't) see.

1. I hope I don't see Holloway run anywhere near the middle of the line. For that matter I hope I don't see any of our RB's try to run up the middle.
2. I hope Dak doesn't try to hold onto the ball too long. When a play breaks down he needs to follow in the footsteps of their most famous person and Run Forrest. That may be the only way we get any kind of yards on the ground.
3. I hope he throws the ball until his arm falls off and we have to put it back on with duct tape, gorilla glue, and bailing wire. 50 pass attempts would not upset me.
4. Our receivers have to catch everything in their zip code. We can't afford drops.
5. We have to tackle. There can't be any two and three broken tackles before we get a guy to the ground. We do that and Henry will have 200 yards by halftime.
6. Aggressive playcalling from the start on both sides of the ball. If we come out and play conservative and like we're scared we'll end up down 17 before we finish our first drink. If that happens then the game is all but over. They'll just start pounding it on the ground and eating clock and getting just enough scores to keep us from coming back.
7. I wouldn't mind seeing some diamond formation read option plays. Anything to cause some misdirection.
8. Play at a lightning speed tempo. Start the game in a two minute offense and speed up from there. Saban has already said he hates teams that play fast.

Agreed pretty much all around. Ppl are going to raise hell, but we are going to see a lot of Shump this weekend. Have to have him to help pass block. If he does get some hand offs, it will be to hold on to the ball to set up the next play. You can't run right at Bama, so I'd like to see Myles and Holloway outside a lot and swing passes. Have to keep Bama's D on the field for extended drives ending in points and spread them out. Would LLLLLOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEE a couple of Bama turnovers. I fear if we play lights out and bama plays lights out, we may not like the outcome. Can't wait for the game though. I woke up with chill bumps thinking about it

Ifyouonlyknew
11-09-2015, 01:36 PM
We won't be playing the Bama team from last week. The game won't resemble the LSU game in any way. They were able to play that game in a phone booth that won't be the case Saturday.

msstate7
11-09-2015, 01:43 PM
We won't be playing the Bama team from last week. The game won't resemble the LSU game in any way. They were able to play that game in a phone booth that won't be the case Saturday.

The 2 passing teams that bama has faced are the 2 teams that have the most points all year on bama. Om beat bama and aTm could have had they not threw 3 pick 6's. If we keep Dak standing up and he doesn't throw ints, we have a shot

Political Hack
11-09-2015, 01:45 PM
I'm afraid Derrick Henry will run through our defense like a hot knife through butter.

Once he hits the 2nd level we're in trouble, and the DL isn't going to catch everything. The best thing that could happen is our LBs or a S comes up early in the game and just absolutely de-cleats him. That, and get to Coker and we have a chance to get into the 4th QT with them.

We won't run the ball. If we waste more than 10 plays to a RB out of the backfield I will lose my mind. Five-wide Dak Attack. That's our only chance to produce points IMO. Spread them out and throw it with a run from Dak against an empty box sprinkled in every once in a while.

Coach34
11-09-2015, 01:58 PM
Offense:

Some 5-wide- but we wont be able to protect well doing that. Bama is good enough to bring extra to take advantage of no extra blocker while their Secondary jumps us until pressure gets there.

Need more 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 back sets- sometime RB blocks- sometime he releases into the pattern. Need Trips set to one side to flip D and have Wilson alone as the 1 WR side. Wilson has to win the one on one battles. Trips is a good way also to release RB out to the 1 WR side into routes to win vs LB's. Trips also lets you run picks for Ross.

Pass Pro is a must. Gonna have to throw 50+

Defense:

Load up and go get them in the I-Henry only scares me when they go 1-back.
Our front will give them some problems. Secondary has to win some battles and not give up the big play. They have big played us to death the last few years

PassInterference
11-09-2015, 02:02 PM
Honestly, I hope we don't see the Bama that played LSU. That Bama looked like the elite of elite Bamas from the last several years.

The MSU team that can beat that Bama would have to be the MSU team that played LSU and Auburn last year. Come out and dominate from 15:00 on. Shock & awe early and often.

Mjoelner34
11-09-2015, 02:02 PM
On D, besides the obvious of not letting Henry get a full head of steam, be wary of screens and also bootleg passes to the TE on 3rd and short.

msstate7
11-09-2015, 02:07 PM
On D, besides the obvious of not letting Henry get a full head of steam, be wary of screens and also bootleg passes to the TE on 3rd and short.

Bama's screen game scares me. At least we have the Browns... They diagnose plays quickly

Coach 57
11-09-2015, 02:58 PM
If you are scared.......get off THE BUS!

Scared won't beat anybody! Scared shows up and brings two things defeat and apathy, neither will be instruments used to beat Bama. Do you want to know how to beat Bama? The same dadgum way you beat any other bully at school:

1.) We must be willing to punch FIRST and punch often! I've been in enough scraps to know the first shot to the ole Rudolph is meant to let him know "I'm here and I ain't scared! Bring it on big boy!" But after the shock of getting hit in the nose wears off the bully realizes "there is a lot of people watching I better put on a show." You've gotta be willing to continue to hit often! Mullen hopefully has gotten over his green-hornedness of being a d calling the game tight and conservative. For crying out loud we've got the BEST QB at the MOST IMPORTANT position in the conference utilize his talents! As C34 said we've got to spread them out. Dan Mullen was hired to get over the lump of offensive "awesomeness" that was our last two coaches. He ran/runs "the spread" now let's use it! Ragland as good as he is in NOT good in pass coverage. We've got to do what UM did and as the matched him up Vs Engram....Evan won those matchups & so must we. The only difference is we don't have Malcolm anymore, so we need to make him bump out Vs our slot WRs. Guys like Myles, Gray or even motion Holloway out from a 4 wide set and make the guy cover some grass!

Turning over the ball can't happen! Dak has got to play smart as well as us maintaining ball security. It is the most important thing in this game! We MUST hold on to the ball!

2.) We better be ready to get our lip, nose broken! To win a fight you've got to not be scared to taste that sweet metallic taste in your cheek or smell that were smell in your nostrils. Bully's didn't get to be bullies unless they new how to put you into uncomfortable situations. What is uncomfortable?

a.) Manny has made our defense by eliminating our base 4/3 look and trading it in on a 4-2-5. But in this game, it WILL NOT WORK in normal down and distance. The reason I think he did it is because Zack Jackson hasn't done well as an OLB in the 4/3 base Vs the middle of the field. But in this game Manny s going to have to go back to the base 4/3 unless he can go to a 4/4. I'm gonna be keyed in on what his alterations are gonna be heading in a d as the game progresses. Most bully's once the get hit throw some haymakers, we've got to be willing to sustain those and feed off of the crowds energy. I suspect it will be high. And unlike you guys I think we can even beat that team that showed up in Tuscaloosa this past Saturday night IF we play OUR game!

When David in 1 Samuel was about to face the bully of all bullies, he had to be as prepared to win as the other guys were prepared for him to lose. At the end of the day after lopping the noggin off of that 10ft+ tall bad boy from Gath the shock heard around the world was vibrant. We've got to be ready to do some popping as well as getting popped. The key is not to flinch, I think we've got the guy who we need as our leader that won't flinch.

Jack Lambert
11-09-2015, 03:09 PM
I don't think LSU was ready to play. At home our guys will be.

ShotgunDawg
11-09-2015, 03:12 PM
Well said 57.

David's slingshot was the equivalent of a 22 caliber rifle in which he could shoot birds out of the air and he was going up against an overgrown bully with eye sight problems. David had the advantage the entire time.

Point is, don't play Bama's game and force them into uncomfortable situations. Make Bama parallel park an 18 wheeler on Broadway.

TrapGame
11-09-2015, 03:16 PM
Tempo. That's one of the weapons Freeze used against them. Add that to 5 turnovers and it was a recipe for disaster.