PDA

View Full Version : What would Belichick do if he coached our team this week?

HoopsDawg
11-09-2015, 12:36 PM
I'll tell you. Earlier this season when the Pats played the Bills and their great run defense, the Pats went 5 wide on nearly every down. They ran 76 plays. 59 passes and 15 rushes. They killed em with the quick passes and the Bills barely laid a hand on Brady. #PTGDF

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-09-2015, 12:41 PM
[QUOTE=HoopsDawg;445473 What would Belichick do if he coached our team this week?[/QUOTE]
Send a spy or a drone to Tuscaloosa to spy on bama and then claim greatness when we beat them...

starkvegasdawg
11-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Deflate the footballs and and wire Saban's headset into our pressbox.

smootness
11-09-2015, 12:50 PM
I'll tell you. Earlier this season when the Pats played the Bills and their great run defense, the Pats went 5 wide on nearly every down. They ran 76 plays. 59 passes and 15 rushes. They killed em with the quick passes and the Bills barely laid a hand on Brady. #PTGDF

We need to take a page from Ole Miss and from Manziel's A&M teams and do exactly what you prescribe. In A&M's 2012-2013 games with Alabama, and in Ole Miss' games the last 2 years, each of those opponents threw more than 30 times on Bama. LSU just threw 19 times Saturday, and we saw what happened.

While Ole Miss and A&M were technically balanced in their play calling, a lot of the runs were unconventional. Manziel obviously ran a ton, and both Kelly and Wallace ran a decent amount as well, along with runs from guys like Cody Core, Liggins, Treadwell, etc.

If we have any success running the ball Saturday, it will have to first be opened up by passing. We won't establish the run early in that game. We must come out throwing and only if that is successful will we find some running lanes. And Dak is going to have to get outside the pocket and make some plays with his feet. But I think most of that should come on designed passes, not designed QB runs.

I would like to see us throw the ball around 40 times Saturday. I'd like to see around 10 Dak runs and nobody else to carry the ball more than 5 times. We'll need to see a wide variety in the passing game. We'll need some bubble screens, we'll need some RB screens, and we'll need to take a deep shot here and there, especially with Wilson. Dak's intermediate passing game has improved by quite a bit over the last couple years, and he'll have to have success doing that.

I would go with 4-5 wide on almost every play, and on most of the 4-wide plays, I'd only have the RB in to block primarily.

thf24
11-09-2015, 12:51 PM
The thing that worries me about that gameplan is that we don't have the Pats' o-line. I know we're pretty good at pass protection, and that the idea is to get rid of the ball quickly, but I still don't like going minimum protection often against Bama's front.

smootness
11-09-2015, 12:54 PM
The thing that worries me about that gameplan is that we don't have the Pats' o-line. I know we're pretty good at pass protection, and that the idea is to get rid of the ball quickly, but I still don't like going minimum protection often against Bama's front.

We have to pick our poison to some degree. I'd love to have 2 TE's and a RB in to block while also running 5 wide, but that's not possible. We're just not going to beat Bama by trying to block them long enough to either run it or to get 1 or 2 WR open. We have to spread them out and get rid of the ball quickly. Keep them on their heels, go quickly on offense, especially after completed passes, and try to run as many plays as possible.

The teams who try to slow it down against Bama and reduce the number of plays always lose. The teams who push tempo and throw are the only ones who ever have much success. It may seem counterintuitive to play more risky against a defense like theirs, but it is the best strategy.

gravedigger
11-09-2015, 12:55 PM

However many passes we throw, the ball needs to come out quickly and thro it away or run if the second checkdown isnt open.

Sacrifice
11-09-2015, 01:10 PM
This reminds me of the debate they were having on ESPN. How would the Pats offense do against the 85 Bears 46 defense? One of the analyst said the Pats would spread them out and you wouldn't have a 46 defense anymore.
That's what I hope we do, spread there ass out, loosen up that front 7 and go up tempo. I think Dak could find some running lanes from that formation. On D we have to slow Henery down and make Coker beat us. If he only has to throw it 20 times, we're gonna be in trouble.

smootness
11-09-2015, 01:13 PM
Their front 7 is ridiculous, so we need to take them out of the game if possible. How do you do that? By spreading them out 5 wide and getting rid of the ball quickly. It's as simple as that. Not simple to execute, but the game plan shouldn't be more complicated than that.

Dental Dawg33
11-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Hand the Browns taser guns and stop Henry early. If we don't keep that beast in check he is going to maul us

HoopsDawg
11-09-2015, 02:09 PM
Their front 7 is ridiculous, so we need to take them out of the game if possible. How do you do that? By spreading them out 5 wide and getting rid of the ball quickly. It's as simple as that. Not simple to execute, but the game plan shouldn't be more complicated than that.

Exactly. That's what Belichick does. He takes away his opponents strength. Bama's strength is their run defense. Spread it out and throw it. I fear Mullen thinking that we need to be balanced.

HoopsDawg
11-09-2015, 02:10 PM

Better that than slamming Shumpert and Holloway up the gut. Or getting Dak hurt. You just can't run on Bama.

RougeDawg
11-09-2015, 02:37 PM
Exactly. That's what Belichick does. He takes away his opponents strength. Bama's strength is their run defense. Spread it out and throw it. I fear Mullen thinking that we need to be balanced.

I fear for Holliways life this week if Dan's hardheadedness continues.

archdog
11-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Cheat. Cheat big time. Wait to see if the nfl/ncaa had anything to say about it.

drunkernhelldawg
11-09-2015, 03:22 PM

I believe they'd quickly adjust to that. It'll be interesting to see how we handle it. I bet whatever Dan comes up with works!