PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stat regarding State's scoring defense

Caboose
11-09-2015, 10:05 AM
Thought I'd share a stat I noticed this morning:

State is ranked 10th in scoring defense with 17.2 points per game.
48th in total defense (369.3 yards given up per game).
2nd in TDs given up with 14 (Michigan has given up 12, both through 9 games).
128th (LAST) in FGs given up with 19.

Result of the bend but don't break defensive scheme?

http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category09/sort01.html
http://www.cfbstats.com/2015/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort01.html

yakalot
11-09-2015, 12:07 PM
Well, we used to be almost last in field goals made.

smootness
11-09-2015, 01:16 PM
It's a result of Diaz's scheme, yes, whatever you want to call it. We have typically been better in scoring defense than in total defense the last several years, and it's because of this strategy. Don't give up big plays, shut them down in the redzone.

Diaz's scheme is more aggressive than it gets credit for being, but yes, there is a basic 'bend but don't break' philosophy behind it. It's not saying we'll let teams walk into the redzone on us, but it is saying that we'll try to avoid giving up big plays while still being as aggressive as we can be.

FISHDAWG
11-09-2015, 01:44 PM
I've worried about other areas of the team but Diaz isn't one of them ... my first thought when Collins left was Diaz ... and hoping him and Dan could work something out

Political Hack
11-09-2015, 01:47 PM
If we still had Fletch we'd get an extra block or two in in FGs. We need to add a Fletch and a Robert Bean to the FG block team.

PassInterference
11-09-2015, 02:05 PM
I think we ought to be more aggressive on D vs Bama. You can't give Bama the redzone and hope to hold them to a FG.

thf24
11-09-2015, 02:13 PM
People can take one game and try to claim that the total defense stat says we were fortunate not to give up more points, but when it holds true across most of a season, it means Diaz is obviously doing something right. It may be harrowing for us as spectators at times, but he's earned some trust at this point.

BrunswickDawg
11-09-2015, 02:31 PM
It's a result of Diaz's scheme, yes, whatever you want to call it. We have typically been better in scoring defense than in total defense the last several years, and it's because of this strategy. Don't give up big plays, shut them down in the redzone.

Diaz's scheme is more aggressive than it gets credit for being, but yes, there is a basic 'bend but don't break' philosophy behind it. It's not saying we'll let teams walk into the redzone on us, but it is saying that we'll try to avoid giving up big plays while still being as aggressive as we can be.

And Manny's version has been far superior to I Can't Spell Jeff's. We are tied for #9 in plays over 40 yards given up (5) this year vs. #104 (20) last year.

On plays of 20+, we are #7 (26) in 2015 vs. #91 (64) in 2014

Prediction? Pain.
11-09-2015, 04:06 PM
And Manny's version has been far superior to I Can't Spell Jeff's. We are tied for #9 in plays over 40 yards given up (5) this year vs. #104 (20) last year.

On plays of 20+, we are #7 (26) in 2015 vs. #91 (64) in 2014

You're totally right about Diaz righting the ship on big play defense. Limiting big plays has been a hallmark of Diaz's defenses throughout his career, not just at State. Here are Diaz's defenses' ranks within his teams' respective conferences at giving up pass plays of 20+ yards, 30+ yards, and 40+ yards in conference play:

MSU '10: 6th, 6th, 4th
Texas '11: 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Texas '12: 6th, 1st, 2nd
La. Tech '14: 10th, 3rd, 2nd

We're also still light's out in the red zone (as Caboose noted above) and are causing a fair amount of negative plays (No. 3 in the SEC in TFLs per game and No. 4 at sacks), both of which are things at which Diaz's units usually excel.

We're not clicking against the run as much as most of Diaz's other defenses have, and we're still not getting as many turnovers as his units usually do, but overall, I agree that he's been doing a solid job. Hard to argue against what's been such a strong scoring defense so far.

Maroon Blood
11-09-2015, 04:51 PM
I heard that we have only given up 12 points and no TD's in the fourth quarter all year. Is this true?

Todd4State
11-09-2015, 06:45 PM
People can take one game and try to claim that the total defense stat says we were fortunate not to give up more points, but when it holds true across most of a season, it means Diaz is obviously doing something right. It may be harrowing for us as spectators at times, but he's earned some trust at this point.

Total defense can be misleading. If you have a punter that pins someone on the one yard line and that team drives 65 yards and misses a long field goal for example- that is worse than allowing a 50 yard TD drive in the eyes of total defense.

I prefer scoring offense and scoring defense- yes, it can be misleading as well but I think it's more accurate as far as a measure of how good a team is because the goal at the end of the day is to score.

Todd4State
11-09-2015, 06:47 PM
You're totally right about Diaz righting the ship on big play defense. Limiting big plays has been a hallmark of Diaz's defenses throughout his career, not just at State. Here are Diaz's defenses' ranks within his teams' respective conferences at giving up pass plays of 20+ yards, 30+ yards, and 40+ yards in conference play:

MSU '10: 6th, 6th, 4th
Texas '11: 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Texas '12: 6th, 1st, 2nd
La. Tech '14: 10th, 3rd, 2nd

We're also still light's out in the red zone (as Caboose noted above) and are causing a fair amount of negative plays (No. 3 in the SEC in TFLs per game and No. 4 at sacks), both of which are things at which Diaz's units usually excel.

We're not clicking against the run as much as most of Diaz's other defenses have, and we're still not getting as many turnovers as his units usually do, but overall, I agree that he's been doing a solid job. Hard to argue against what's been such a strong scoring defense so far.

It's because we don't tackle as well sometimes in the running game for whatever reason. Even if Manny's idea is bend but don't break at the very least he does things that cause sacks and turnovers.

gravedigger
11-09-2015, 06:58 PM
Total defense can be misleading. If you have a punter that pins someone on the one yard line and that team drives 65 yards and misses a long field goal for example- that is worse than allowing a 50 yard TD drive in the eyes of total defense.

I prefer scoring offense and scoring defense- yes, it can be misleading as well but I think it's more accurate as far as a measure of how good a team is because the goal at the end of the day is to score.

I am with you on not liking total defense. It just doesn't tell the story of what influence your defense has.

I like Tackles for loss and the prevention of plays over 20 yards and redzone defense efficiency.