PDA

View Full Version : Hugh Freeze

dotcomdawg
11-09-2015, 09:45 AM
I have never bought into the "Freeze is a great, visionary coach" narrative. He may be a good recruiter, but I've got a feeling that the NCAA is going to show us a big part of the reason why he has been a good recruiter when their investigation is finalized in a few months. This guy had almost zero experience coaching college football when he was named the head coach in Oxford. He was a former high school coach who was put on the staff of Ed Orgeron-- the worst coach in the history of the Ole Miss program-- because he could deliver a talented offensive lineman. He was a position coach on that staff for two years. He then went to coach at Lambeth. Was an offensive co-ordinator at Arkansas State and then spent ONE YEAR as a head coach in a crappy conference before taking a job as the head coach of a team in the best division of the best conference in all of college football.

He is in WAY over his head and it is beginning to show.

He has made terrible staff hires (Luke) and his promotions (Batoon) are even worse. Though it makes sense because he hasn't spent time in the typical coaching carousel being a head coach or coordinator and moving around the country learning from different coaches, making relationships, and coaching in different environments. He has a very short list of coaching contacts that he has worked with. The Ole Miss coaching staff-- from top to bottom-- is probably the weakest, BY FAR, of all SEC schools. That is a direct reflection of their leader.

Sure he beat Alabama twice, but Sylvester Croom beat Alabama twice (a weaker Bama, yes, but they are still wins on the resume, and Bama didn't commit five turnovers in either of those games). Ole Miss is currently fielding the best recruiting class in the history of their program. This is the group that we were told would take them to the national championship game-- at the least the SEC title game. They have not been developed and have won games on sheer talent. Give those 4* and 5* players to Mullen-- or any other coach in the conference, Derrick Mason included-- and they bring the rest of their squad up.

Mullen has finished ahead of Freeze in the SEC standings every year. That is not because of talent. That is 100% development. It's COACHING.

Freeze is an embodiment of the university that employs him. It is all image. Smoke and mirrors. Win the temporary PR battle and worry about the future later. It's all short-term thinking, and there's no way to build a long-lasting program making short-term decisions. They might please your fanbase on signing day, but prima donna players take special coaching skills to handle. It's better to develop players, which takes long-term commitments to redshirting and teaching and disregards the quick-hit PR moments.

It said a lot to me when Freeze put Nkemdiche in the backfield and ran him against us in the Egg Bowl two years ago. Two things occurred to me that night: 1.) Freeze wanted to rub the recruiting win in MSU's face. That's something Mullen would never do, not because he doesn't mind taking a poke at his rival, but it's just bad, gimmicky coaching. 2.) He probably listens to his fanbase too much. That play reeked of the old guys at the coffee shop telling the head coach to put his prized recruit back there to run the ball. That shows lack of confidence and leadership-- two key components in a head coach's resume and makeup. For the next two years he kept putting Nkemdiche in the backfield (probably because Nkemdiche asked) until he received a concussion and missed two games.

He has four first-round draft choices on his current team and possibly 8-9 more players who will see significant playing time in the NFL and he and his staff can't coach them up to even get them to Atlanta. We were told that "once we get all of the four all-stars on the field together this year, we will dominate." A mediocre Arkansas team didn't agree with that statement.

A good coach will supplement and develop his role players around and among his superstars. Freeze has no running back, no offensive line (other than Tunsil) that is producing, no linebacker core, and huge problems in his secondary. How can we call him a "great recruiter" when there are so many glaring holes on his team?

Ultimately, do you want a nice guy preacher-type coach who is all touchy-feely with his players and takes care of his coaching friends giving them non-merit-based promotions or do you want Nick Saban? Do you want the coach who coddles his all-star players, or do you want Jim McElwain who will get red-faced in a players face when they screw up and send a signal to his entire team that "this is a different day and time." I'll take the two coaches that will likely be coaching against each other in Atlanta in a few weeks over the pseudo-preacher in Oxford every time.

During games Freeze looks baffled and lost. In every interview he is monotone and melancholy. It's almost like the child who thinks others will take him seriously if he acts "serious." Mullen looks like he's having fun, because he is. Mullen is not in over his head. He smiles, he jokes, and then he gets laser focused when the time comes. Mullen, Saban, McElwain and the like are leaders that have crafted their programs to be exactly as they planned from day one. They would never take coaching advice from an alumnus. Ever.

When Freeze's players DO succeed it is off of pure talent, not from well-coached technique and development. Look at any of his all-star players (or non-all stars for that matter), are they any better than when you saw them play their first down for Ole Miss? A majority of the time, the answer to that question is, "no."

Hugh Freeze is the 10th highest paid coach in the country and, nine weeks in to the 2015 season and four years into his tenure, his team isn't even in the Top 25. That is a terrible ROI. Ultimately, I hope he stays in Oxford for another decade.

starkvegasdawg
11-09-2015, 09:47 AM
Can I get the Cliff Notes version, please?

BrunswickDawg
11-09-2015, 10:03 AM
Can I get the Cliff Notes version, please?

Freeze sucks.

Statecoachingblows**
11-09-2015, 10:11 AM
Freeze sucks.

Nailed it

Rick Danko
11-09-2015, 10:15 AM
Damn, you really got an itch in your craw for some OM and Freeze to write that novel, ha ha

SDDawg
11-09-2015, 10:15 AM
To me this was the money line: "Mullen has finished ahead of Freeze in the SEC standings every year. That is not because of talent. That is 100% development. It's COACHING." Nice job, dotcom.

TrapGame
11-09-2015, 10:26 AM
Freeze didn't recruit shit. The Network did.

Political Hack
11-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Well done. Echoes my thoughts to a tee.

Liverpooldawg
11-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Freeze was hired because it was understood he wouldn't make waves.

starkvegasdawg
11-09-2015, 10:58 AM
Freeze sucks.

Ah, ok. I agree completely then.

RougeDawg
11-09-2015, 11:06 AM

Ding ding ding. ^^^This^^^. There's a Reason the Network Ring Leader (Archie) was selected to head up the coaching search. And there's a reason Archie said after the search that "he found his guy". Bucky's days are limited there. I hope he sticks around a couple more years for those 4-8 seasons coming up.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Freeze is basically Oregeron with less wild boyz and a little more offensive creativity. The get up for one game a year and beat a team that aren't supposed to, but flounder away against teams they should beat.

TrapGame
11-09-2015, 11:16 AM
Freeze is basically Oregeron with less wild boyz and a little more offensive creativity. The get up for one game a year and beat a team that aren't supposed to, but flounder away against teams they should beat.

Freeze is basically Orgeron with more Jesus.

AlSwearengen
11-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Freeze didn't recruit shit. The Network did.

This is basically a cliff notes version of the olemiss football program handbook as outlined by C34 and others.

Jack Lambert
11-09-2015, 11:48 AM
Freeze is basically Orgeron with more Jesus.

And teeth.

maroonmania
11-10-2015, 02:10 PM

Yep, Archie and the Touhys brought in Freeze because they knew he would allow the network to do their work behind the scenes to get the big time players while Hugh could at the same time be the "aw shucks, Christian do-gooder" face of the program that would endear himself to the media and the families of recruits.

lastmajordog
11-10-2015, 02:50 PM
"It said a lot to me when Freeze put Nkemdiche in the backfield and ran him against us in the Egg Bowl two years ago"

What you say may very well be true, but I think it is the fact that they don't and did NOT have a power running game or back, they just don't. On that thought Mullen HAS to fix our lack of power this offseason one way or another.

Taog Redloh
11-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Freeze can coach a little bit. To deny that is ludicrous. He won at Arkansas State, and he's won ever since he's been in Oxford. 6-6, 7-5, 9-3 and whatever they do this year, isn't incredibly terrible at Ole Miss. Especially coming off 4-8 and 2-10. I mean let's face it, they were real damn close to 11-1 last year (LSU and Auburn) and were in position to win the SEC East until Saturday (come on, we all can agree that was a fluke...funny yes, but still a fluke....OM should have won). I am just like the rest of you in that Freeze has started to rub me the wrong way with his image-show but to deny his ability to coach is a little much. He put this all together, have to give him that credit. He does make some rookie mistakes but so does every coach.

But yes, he is essentially a better version of Gene Chizik. Plays the good guy role as the boys operate in the background. It never really works out, always something fails on the inside. And, his top players weren't good enough to get to the promised land like Chizik's were in 2010.

Jack Lambert
11-10-2015, 03:01 PM
Freeze can coach a little bit. To deny that is ludicrous. He won at Arkansas State, and he's won ever since he's been in Oxford. 6-6, 7-5, 9-3 and whatever they do this year, isn't incredibly terrible at Ole Miss. Especially coming off 4-8 and 2-10. I mean let's face it, they were real damn close to 11-1 last year (LSU and Auburn) and were in position to win the SEC East until Saturday (come on, we all can agree that was a fluke...funny yes, but still a fluke....OM should have won). I am just like the rest of you in that Freeze has started to rub me the wrong way with his image-show but to deny his ability to coach is a little much. He put this all together, have to give him that credit. He does make some rookie mistakes but so does every coach.

But yes, he is essentially a better version of Gene Chizik. Plays the good guy role as the boys operate in the background. It never really works out, always something fails on the inside. And, his top players weren't good enough to get to the promised land like Chizik's were in 2010.

Freeze is a cock sucker but his teeth gives a new meaning to morning wood.

PassInterference
11-10-2015, 03:02 PM
OK, lazy PI just got around to reading that long post.

It was worth it. Required reading for everyone. Spot on.

Folks, read the 1st three paragraphs and you won't want to stop.

RougeDawg
11-10-2015, 03:14 PM

You can play this both ways. Buck has also won many fluke games in his 4 years. Bama this year and one could say Vandy. A&M had a team divided the week before Oxford and that same A&M team was beaten by a bottom conference Auburn team. Same Auburn team that had chances to beat the bears the week before but Gus went full stupid on play calling.

Bama last year. Vandy his first year. They've had more dominating losses and eek out wins in his tenure than Dan has had over same time frame. We also have zero fluke wins over past 4 seasons. We continue to finish ahead of them despite their average 1.5 fluke wins a season they are gifted. There are numerous examples of things that they have benefitted from that we never have the opportunity to benefit from.

Boya
11-10-2015, 04:08 PM
Congratulations on finishing your dissertation on the realities of ole miss football.

Freeze is a good play caller for the most part and is an excellent motivator. But he can't seem to get out of his own way most of the time...going for it on 4th constantly, putting his star defensive player in at RB and getting him hurt. Nobody's going to call you a ***** if punt every once in a while Bucky....

Johnson85
11-10-2015, 04:34 PM
Freeze can coach a little bit. To deny that is ludicrous.

Freeze can coach a lot. He may not look so great against the SECW (or Fuentes), but that is an outstanding coaching division (plus a hot name coming up) and he would look better against other competition.

The only real negative with Freeze is that I think might actually make him a poor coach over the long term is I'm not sure he has the personality for coaching. You have to have incredibly thick skin to coach long term and Freeze doesn't. Maybe he will develop it, but right now he can't resist throwing players and other coaches under the bus at the first opportunity. He's made it this far without having to face a lot of criticism and it clearly seems to be bothering him.

The pressure also seems to be getting to him on play calling. I almost never criticize a coach for going for it on 4th down b/c most coaches are way to conservative, but I'm not sure how in the hell he made that call at the end of the Arkansas game and I really don't understand how that wasn't quashed by one sane person on the coaching staff.

The other question with Freeze is that we know he can put together an offense that squeezes a lot out of minimal talent. But it doesn't seem to get any better with better talent. Maybe his only issue is that he hasn't managed to put together an OL and his offense will work more consistently against SEC teams when he does.

I think there's some merit to the lack of time building up coaching contacts, but at the same time, until this year he has overall enjoyed a better than average staff. Whatever weak links there were, his defensive staff made up for it. It may hurt him going forward though if he can't identify some good replacements.

DCdawg
11-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Sorry if Germans. I enjoyed reading ESPN backtrack on all the preseason OM hype and make fun of them instead.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/bottom10110315/bottom-10-dedicated-miami-fans-georgia-bulldogs-far-top-dawgs?sf15154589=1

maroonmania
11-10-2015, 10:44 PM
Freeze can coach a lot. He may not look so great against the SECW (or Fuentes), but that is an outstanding coaching division (plus a hot name coming up) and he would look better against other competition.

The only real negative with Freeze is that I think might actually make him a poor coach over the long term is I'm not sure he has the personality for coaching. You have to have incredibly thick skin to coach long term and Freeze doesn't. Maybe he will develop it, but right now he can't resist throwing players and other coaches under the bus at the first opportunity. He's made it this far without having to face a lot of criticism and it clearly seems to be bothering him.

The pressure also seems to be getting to him on play calling. I almost never criticize a coach for going for it on 4th down b/c most coaches are way to conservative, but I'm not sure how in the hell he made that call at the end of the Arkansas game and I really don't understand how that wasn't quashed by one sane person on the coaching staff.

The other question with Freeze is that we know he can put together an offense that squeezes a lot out of minimal talent. But it doesn't seem to get any better with better talent. Maybe his only issue is that he hasn't managed to put together an OL and his offense will work more consistently against SEC teams when he does.

I think there's some merit to the lack of time building up coaching contacts, but at the same time, until this year he has overall enjoyed a better than average staff. Whatever weak links there were, his defensive staff made up for it. It may hurt him going forward though if he can't identify some good replacements.

In my view Freeze is quite gifted with devising the Xs and Os of football but below average on developing the skills of individual players. I can't really think of any players under him so far that are significantly better as SRs than as FR. Most of his guys that are performing at a high level as upperclassmen are those that came into his program with a fairly refined skill set. Very few of his lesser rated recruits seem to end up contributing much long term.

TrapGame
11-10-2015, 11:16 PM
Sorry if Germans. I enjoyed reading ESPN backtrack on all the preseason OM hype and make fun of them instead.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/bottom10110315/bottom-10-dedicated-miami-fans-georgia-bulldogs-far-top-dawgs?sf15154589=1

Ole Miss returns to the Coveted Fifth Spot after its third loss of the season and takes this spot over Memphis because, according to the College Football Playoff handbook, head-to-head results are a major tiebreaker. You know us here at Bottom 10 HQ -- we're all about the rules. This overtime stunner to Arkansas was the most devastating loss for a group of Rebels since the Battle of Hoth. Last fall Ole Miss finished the year 2-4. This year they've started the homestretch 0-1. The only person who hates November more than these guys is the guy in charge of raking the leaves at The Grove. Or Axl Rose.

This is absolute gold!

BayouDawg
11-11-2015, 12:07 AM
Is the reverend Hugh Freeze Billy Brewer 2.0?