PDA

View Full Version : Our best 11 on Offense...

HoopsDawg
11-09-2015, 01:32 AM
WR: Bear
Slot: Ross
WR: Gray

LT: Jenkins
LG: Malone
C: Clayborn
RG: Calhoun
RT: Senior

TE: Hutcherson

QB: Dak

RB: Aeries Williams

Notice that's 5 guys that aren't starting. Any disagreements?

SDDawg
11-09-2015, 01:34 AM
Looks right to me...

Todd4State
11-09-2015, 01:56 AM
I'm OK with Fred Brown starting at WR. His numbers are very comparable to Gray and he has scored TD's in two out of the last three games. I definitely think Gray should be worked in more. Starting at a position like WR is semantics to me because most teams use multiple WR sets a good bit.

Ross is solid and I'm OK with him starting, but similarly I think we should work in Dear more assuming his hamstring is OK. I also think Myles is possibly more talented than Ross, but I also think he's not 100%. I wonder if the coaches will consider moving Ross back outside some with Bear leaving for the NFL most likely so that we can get Ross, Myles, and Fred Brown all on the field at the same time next year?

Obviously I like Jenkins, but Malone playing LT intrigues me for some reason. Yes, he got beat badly at times against Mizzou but I'm also pretty sure he didn't get any or at best very many reps at LT before the game and was kind of thrown out there. But if he's moved there full time and has time to prepare, he might end up improving out o-line a lot. So maybe our best o-line is:

LT- Malone
LG- Calhoun
C- Clayborn
RG- Desper
RT- Senior

Also, I'm not sure how injured Jenkins is but that has to factor in as well.

And again- Shumpert for FB. He has good hands and he can consistently get a yard or two when given the ball. He averages 9 yards a reception and I know he has had at least one explosive play called back by a needless hold. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a decent NFL career as a FB with his skill set especially if he bulks up a little bit.

SDDawg
11-09-2015, 02:00 AM
@Todd Good thoughts on the OL, I just haven't seen Desper step up and play as well as the other guys. I also like the idea of Malone at LT, I think with reps he will do the job needed.

smootness
11-09-2015, 02:01 AM
We would be crazy to limit Ross' time in favor of anybody who isn't currently starting, IMO.

Todd4State
11-09-2015, 02:15 AM
@Todd Good thoughts on the OL, I just haven't seen Desper step up and play as well as the other guys. I also like the idea of Malone at LT, I think with reps he will do the job needed.

I may be way off on this, but I think Desper might be better suited at LG than RG simply because he is better at pass blocking than run blocking plus he seems fairly athletic for an o-lineman.

If we go with the o-line I suggested, with Calhoun starting the next option is Joc Johnson or Damien Robinson and I'm not sure that they are better than Desper no matter where they play Desper.

I hate to say this because I'm sure it will be taken the wrong way- but I have to wonder why they didn't look at Malone at OT in the offseason especially if he does indeed turn out to be pretty good there?

Todd4State
11-09-2015, 02:18 AM
We would be crazy to limit Ross' time in favor of anybody who isn't currently starting, IMO.

We don't necessarily have to limit his time- we can use 4-5 WR sets and that would put Ross, Myles, and Dear all on the field at the same time potentially. Actually that's pretty lethal when you add in Bear and Brown and/or Gray.

We use Myles a good bit when he is healthy as it is.

smootness
11-09-2015, 02:23 AM
We don't necessarily have to limit his time- we can use 4-5 WR sets and that would put Ross, Myles, and Dear all on the field at the same time potentially. Actually that's pretty lethal when you add in Bear and Brown and/or Gray.

We use Myles a good bit when he is healthy as it is.

Yeah that would be fine. I guess I just took issue with the characterization of Ross as 'solid' and less talented than Myles.

If you take the games against LSU, Auburn, A&M, and Missouri, he has 38 catches for 350 yards. Wilson in those games has 20 catches for 296. Obviously Wilson is the bigger red zone target, but Ross has been pretty awesome all year.

Joe Schmedlap
11-09-2015, 04:58 AM
Yeah that would be fine. I guess I just took issue with the characterization of Ross as 'solid' and less talented than Myles.

If you take the games against LSU, Auburn, A&M, and Missouri, he has 38 catches for 350 yards. Wilson in those games has 20 catches for 296. Obviously Wilson is the bigger red zone target, but Ross has been pretty awesome all year.

Ross is damn good, period. He was a Parade high school all-American player in Texas. Yes, we have lots of talented receivers on our roster, but none are "better" than Fred 17'n Ross at the slot position. Bear is our most physically imposing wide out and a mismatch for most DB's. Donald Gray has the strongest hands and has made a few circus catches this year and needs more touches. But again, no one at the slot position on our team is better than Fred Ross.

sbcmortgageman
11-09-2015, 05:39 AM
Ross and Bear compliment each other. You need them on the field together at all times. If y'all notice, early in games Bear doesn't get targeted much because he's doubled up. That frees Ross to be open. Then when the D makes adjustments, they can't just play Ross one on one anymore and that takes the extra man off Bear. He then proceeds to wreak havoc in one on one match ups.

thf24
11-09-2015, 08:15 AM
Obviously I like Jenkins, but Malone playing LT intrigues me for some reason.

Same here. I'm pretty sure we were originally playing him at T as a freshman, but Hev moved him to G out of necessity and he never moved back. I've always thought he makes more sense as a LT with that 6'7" height.

Coach34
11-09-2015, 08:44 AM
Malone would be better than Jenkins at LT for the rest of this season. Not a slight at Jenkins- but Malone is a natural LT. Calhoun needs to start also. I've seen enough of Rufus

WinningIsRelentless
11-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Same here. I'm pretty sure we were originally playing him at T as a freshman, but Hev moved him to G out of necessity and he never moved back. I've always thought he makes more sense as a LT with that 6'7" height.
Malone was more of a T mindset vs a G mindset. At G you have to be dirty and physical as hell. At T it is more of a finesse position.

thf24
11-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Continuing to play Malone at LT would also probably do his NFL prospects a favor because, while I know there are exceptions, you usually don't want a 6'7" guard.

missouridawg
11-09-2015, 09:06 AM
I almost lost it when I read Todds insinuation that Ross should be getting fewer snaps. Ross is damn near elite at the college level. We would be crazy to "work in Dear" at his spot.

chef dixon
11-09-2015, 09:15 AM
I almost lost it when I read Todds insinuation that Ross should be getting fewer snaps. Ross is damn near elite at the college level. We would be crazy to "work in Dear" at his spot.

Tell me about it. Anyone that has ever watched two quarters of football before could tell you Ross and Dear are not interchangeable. Lining up in the slot is where their similarities and utilities end. Ross the damn engine of this offense this season with a limited running game. He's been putting on a clinic at what we always wanted Jameon to be.

CottonDog
11-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Why do I always hear our fans bi***ing about Ross? Dude is the most consistent player on the team. I've heard fans now at the UK game and when I was at MO saying we need to take Ross's scholly. Ridiculous.

HoopsDawg
11-09-2015, 10:32 AM
Malone would be better than Jenkins at LT for the rest of this season. Not a slight at Jenkins- but Malone is a natural LT. Calhoun needs to start also. I've seen enough of Rufus

Jenkins looks far superior at LT than Rufus to me. I just don't get it.

I'm not so sure on Malone, he almost got Dak killed against Mizzou.

HoopsDawg
11-09-2015, 10:35 AM
I may be way off on this,

You are.

Political Hack
11-09-2015, 10:37 AM
I'd go 5-wide with Myles, Bear, Hutch, Fred and Fred. If they out 6 in the box, hammer Dak. If they put 7, hammer their secondary.

Coach34
11-09-2015, 10:49 AM
Jenkins looks far superior at LT than Rufus to me. I just don't get it.

I'm not so sure on Malone, he almost got Dak killed against Mizzou.

Malone got beat on a couple speed rushes but I Attribute that to inexperience. He will adjust quickly with reps. Jenkins is talented- but he is not ready for 4 Q's against Bama

War Machine Dawg
11-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Here's what I'd do:

LT - Malone
LG - Calhoun
C - Clayborn
RG - Desper
RT - Senior

WR - Bear
WR - Ross
WR - Brown

QB - Dak
RB - Aeris/Lee
FB/H - Shump

Rotate in Hutch and JJ at TE and take Shump off the field to accommodate as necessary. Next 3 at WR would be Gray, Dear, Myles. Work in Holloway for about 5 touches. He's got a role, but he's overexposed the way we're trying to use him right now.

dawgwood
11-09-2015, 02:49 PM
will Dear play this week?

Todd4State
11-09-2015, 06:50 PM
will Dear play this week?

Supposed to.

Todd4State
11-09-2015, 07:01 PM

It's more about us being freaking loaded at slot WR than anything else. That's why I also said I am OK with Ross starting.

My qualm with Ross if I had one is I would like for him to be more of a deep threat than he has been for most of the year. His YPC is 10.75. Gabe Myles YPC is 16.83 with just as many TD's. Why? Because when Myles was healthy he was able to beat defenders deep and burn them like he did against Auburn. Now, that said Fred Ross did have a deep TD pass against Mizzou and that may have been a turning point for him in terms of making more plays downfield and that will just make us even better. I'll be interested to see if Ross does indeed improve in that going forward.

Dear does have a lower YPC than either of them at 9.94, but he is also averaging 10 YPC rushing. I really wish Dan would use him more like Percy Harvin rather than strictly as a slot WR.

Todd4State
11-09-2015, 07:03 PM

Yes- Malone is actually taller than most of our OT's.