PDA

View Full Version : MSU WRs vs Alabama Secondary

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2015, 08:15 PM
Getting really excited about this game & am looking at some of the matchups that could decide this thing. One thing that immediately stands out is the height of our WRs & TE vs the height of the Bama secondary. For a point of reference, past Alabama safety Mark Barron was 6'2" 218, Landon Collins 6'0" 222, Clinton-Dix 6'1" 208. Along with former Alabama CB Dre Kirkpatrick being 6'2".

What's interesting about this is that this is possibly the tallest WR core we've had in a number of years & they are going up against the shortest & lightest Alabama secondary in recent history. The safeties for Alabama are converted CBs, so they are fast, but against Bear, Hutch, & possibly Ross, I'm not sure how much speed is going to help them.

If Dak has time to throw, there should be some really good matchups for us with Wilson & Hutch. So long as our receivers are willing to take a hit, they could be in for a big night.

Alabama's Secondary

CB - Cyrus Jones - 5'10 196

SS - Eddie Jackson - 6'0" 194

FS - Geno Smith - 6'0" 197

CB - Marlon Humphrey - 6'0" 193

STAR - Minkah Fitzpatrick - 6'1" 190

MSU Pass Receivers

Bear - 6'5" 215

Ross - 6'2" 207

Fred Brown - 6'1" 196

Gabe Myles - 6'0" 192

Darrion Hutcherson - 6'7" 260

Jack Lambert
11-08-2015, 08:19 PM
All sounds good but there will be several 5'10" SEC Refs who will be more than willing to help cover our WR's. Just saying.

ShotgunDawg
11-08-2015, 08:22 PM
All sounds good but there will be several 5'10" SEC Refs who will be more than willing to help cover our WR's. Just saying.

Possibly true, but if, I'm Mullen, I'm telling Bear, Hutch, & Ross to get physical with them. If we get called for OPI, then so be it.

War Machine Dawg
11-08-2015, 08:24 PM

Yep. It's going to be 11 versus 16 on Saturday night. Anyone that thinks the new commish is our friend because his daughter went to State is setting themselves up for disappointment.

Statefan
11-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Solid post. I'm hoping this means Derunnya can have a monster game with his physical size

Bully13
11-08-2015, 08:30 PM
look for the refs to protect the SEC team with a higher likelihood of getting into the final 4 at this stage of the year. that is a legit concern if you are a State fan.

justwin
11-08-2015, 10:47 PM
[QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;445094]Getting really excited about this game & am looking at some of the matchups that could decide this thing.

Would like to see Donald gray win some contested passes too

dawg27
11-08-2015, 10:52 PM
look for the refs to protect the SEC team with a higher likelihood of getting into the final 4 at this stage of the year. that is a legit concern if you are a State fan.

Oh trust dont think for one moment the sec wants us there they want bama.

drunkernhelldawg
11-09-2015, 12:13 AM
Great post. Hopefully the officiating won't be an issue. I don't think it will be. If Dak gets time, we'll be moving the ball. Intense week.

SDDawg
11-09-2015, 01:13 AM
Great post. Hopefully the officiating won't be an issue. I don't think it will be. If Dak gets time, we'll be moving the ball. Intense week.

It won't be, State will win.

HoopsDawg
11-09-2015, 01:26 AM
Humphrey is the guy to go after.

Jack Lambert
11-09-2015, 09:33 AM
Humphrey is the guy to go after.

That's not Daks way to go after a guy. You do that when your QB can't go through progressions. Dak is going to look and throw to the open guy.

rbdog82
11-09-2015, 09:59 AM
I'm more worried about our OL versus their D line. We may win the WR / Secondary matchup, but that doesn't matter if Dak is getting pressured all game because we can't block them.

Sacrifice
11-09-2015, 10:21 AM
That's not Daks way to go after a guy. You do that when your QB can't go through progressions. Dak is going to look and throw to the open guy.

I agree, Saban is the king at taking away what offenses do best. Last year it was Dak and JRob. I don't think it's gonna be that easy this year with the way Dak spreads the ball around.

ckDOG
11-09-2015, 10:22 AM
Is this the game we finally see a lot of 5 wide sets? I'm more at the football 101 level of x's and o's, but it seems like our best scheme to get 1 on 1 matchups is 5 wide. No reliable running back. Dual threat QB who can read secondaries well. WRs for days.

We've had a lot of success with either Dak getting yards up the gut when the box is stretched or with multiple receivers being recognized with favorable matchups the rare times we've gone 5 WRs. Seems like the time to rely on this approach. We aren't running into the teeth of Bama's defense with Shump, Holloway, Williams, Lee, or a Fournette for that matter. Gotta do what we do best - get to our WRs and let Dak do Dak things when he has numbers.

Have we been keeping this close to the vest against lesser competition? Or, is Mullen being stubborn? Or, is ckDOG being an idiot?

TrapGame
11-09-2015, 10:33 AM
I have a gut feeling that Fred Ross will be open in the middle a lot in the first half until Kirby corrects it. I also feel they will double cover Bear but in picking their poison we will see some dumps to a wide open Hutch or Walley in the flat.

HoopsDawg
11-09-2015, 10:43 AM

Our primary read needs to be the guy that Humphrey is covering.

Dental Dawg33
11-09-2015, 10:48 AM
I'm more worried about our OL versus their D line. We may win the WR / Secondary matchup, but that doesn't matter if Dak is getting pressured all game because we can't block them.

Going to have to roast them with Myles and Holloway slipping out wide and in the flats. Gotta have a safety dump on every pass play to keep Bama spread out. There is no going right at them