PDA

View Full Version : Enforcing a rule

EdDawg
11-08-2015, 08:55 AM
One thing the rules committee really needs to look at is the enforcement of players running into the field at the end of games before the whistle blows.

In the UNM game one could see several players running onto the field during the lateral.

I know this happens a lot and never a flag is thrown, but it has and will again affect the outcome of a game.

Another example is about 10 years ago in the Alamo bowl I believe the game came down to the final play, which consisted of many laterals. The team with the ball is actually advancing the ball up the field but has to RUN AROUND several of the opposing team's bench players that had ran onto the field. No flag was thrown and the game ended.

I remember that game being criticized by the amount of bad calls, because the refs were from a low tier conference.

I just think the NCAA needs to really make that rule a point of emphasis.

sleepy dawg
11-08-2015, 11:57 AM
One thing the rules committee really needs to look at is the enforcement of players running into the field at the end of games before the whistle blows.

In the UNM game one could see several players running onto the field during the lateral.

I know this happens a lot and never a flag is thrown, but it has and will again affect the outcome of a game.

Another example is about 10 years ago in the Alamo bowl I believe the game came down to the final play, which consisted of many laterals. The team with the ball is actually advancing the ball up the field but has to RUN AROUND several of the opposing team's bench players that had ran onto the field. No flag was thrown and the game ended.

I remember that game being criticized by the amount of bad calls, because the refs were from a low tier conference.

I just think the NCAA needs to really make that rule a point of emphasis.

I agree, but I would go one step further... ALL RULES SHOULD BE ENFORCED ALL OF THE TIME. Wouldn't that be insane if all the rules were actually enforced as they're written? If a rule shouldn't be enforced 100% of the time, then there's a problem with the rule, and it should change or be removed.

Jack Lambert
11-08-2015, 12:12 PM
I agree, but I would go one step further... ALL RULES SHOULD BE ENFORCED ALL OF THE TIME. Wouldn't that be insane if all the rules were actually enforced as they're written? If a rule shouldn't be enforced 100% of the time, then there's a problem with the rule, and it should change or be removed.

But isn't there a rule that says that the rules don't apply equally to all teams?

sleepy dawg
11-08-2015, 12:42 PM
But isn't there a rule that says that the rules don't apply equally to all teams?

Oh yeah. I forgot about that one.

Last night watching the bama game at a friends house, there was one play where a bama lineman held the shit out of lsu lineman right in front of the ref. It was insanely blatant, not even close to borderline. I jumped up and yelled out "HOLD!". "How did they not call that?" My friend laughed and said "dude, they're playing at bama. That's not a penalty there." To which I replied the same as to you.. "oh yeah". Then I sat back down.