PDA

View Full Version : Early 2014 MLB draft ratings are out...

engie
07-29-2013, 10:59 PM
http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/7/27/4558480/extremely-early-2014-mlb-draft-rankings

Of MSU interest:
25 - Chase Vallot
91 - Jacob Lindgren
102 - Joey Swinarski
123 - Brandon Woodruff

Not looking too good on Vallot, I don't believe... Swinarski is higher than I hoped as well....

messageboardsuperhero
07-29-2013, 11:19 PM
I will be very pleasantly surprised if Vallot makes it to campus. He would be a great catcher.

Everything I've heard on Swinarski indicates that he should make it. Signability will be big for him, and he should hopefully fall farther than this article would indicate. I think this was more of a list of the top prospects, rather than where they'd actually be drafted.

Also, it's interesting to see Chris Ellis and Hawtin Buchanan so high on this list. They've both been pitching pretty well in the Cape this summer and are probably going to be among the few bright spots for UM next year.

This is very early though, so I'm sure stock will rise and fall for a lot of these players.

Todd4State
07-29-2013, 11:46 PM
We'll see about Vallot- I'm a little more optimistic than most on him. I feel good about getting Joey Swinarski. Cole Gordon is a player that probably should be on that list. He's 6'5" and is a left handed hitter with power that can run.

Chris Ellis has to show that he is healthy. Buchanan is 6'8" and can throw in the 90's- definitely something to work with for a MLB team.

I expect Woodruff to shoot up that list, and I think Wes Rea will be on some of those lists later on. Also, Lindgren, Fitts, Holder, and Pirtle will almost be sure bets to be drafted and I think Demarcus and CT will also get drafted if they show some improvement and in CT's case stay healthy.

MsStateBaseball
07-30-2013, 05:50 AM
It is nice after all these years to have really good commits/ signees that the pros want. Refreshing.

RBritt
07-30-2013, 08:47 AM
I have a friend who works with Bus Cook and he believes Volet and some other kid from Louisiana named Hansome will get drafted pretty high. Some kid from Amite, La signed for a large chunk of change with the Red Sox yesterday that he represented too. Hasn't Swinarski talked of early enrollment to State?

SaltyDawg
07-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Kinda surprised Holder isn't on the list.

MsStateBaseball
07-30-2013, 09:07 AM
Vallot may be a high draft but again it comes down to his parents, how much does it take, do they want him to go to college no matter what, etc.

Holder, obviously, is a reliever and usually stud starters are drafted high. He will be drafted in top 10 rounds though, IMO.

maroonmania
07-30-2013, 09:10 AM
I have a friend who works with Bus Cook and he believes Volet and some other kid from Louisiana named Hansome will get drafted pretty high. Some kid from Amite, La signed for a large chunk of change with the Red Sox yesterday that he represented too. Hasn't Swinarski talked of early enrollment to State?

I wouldn't doubt it. The MLB teams seem to jump on any kid that shows real power like Vallot. Just another reason, besides the bats, that power numbers are down significantly in college. If we can get him to come to school it would be a big achievement by our staff but no way that happens if he goes in the first couple of rounds.

engie
07-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Which is huge how we got Reid Humphreys with very little real opposition from MLB(my guess is that he was perceived as unsignable)...

Dude got an extra base hit in 1/4 of his ABs this year. Hit a homer once in every 8. Vallot was about the same...

Goat Holder
07-30-2013, 10:07 AM
Proves that Bianco is hitting a Stans-like spell.

Homedawg
07-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Yes, Swinarski has talked about it. Decent chance it happens but not a certainty. We know our odds at keeping Vallot aren't good. But at least it's our chance and not someone else's.

MsStateBaseball
07-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Some kids want to play pro ball right away. More power to them. I like the fact that we took Vallot from South Louisiana in front of LSU and Coach Whiner. Bc of the exposure we will go after the higher rated players which means we have to sign more kids to buffer ourselves against the draft like LSU, Florida and S Carolina do now. Fine with me bc we will get more talent and we will win more.

Todd4State
07-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Vallot may be a high draft but again it comes down to his parents, how much does it take, do they want him to go to college no matter what, etc.

Holder, obviously, is a reliever and usually stud starters are drafted high. He will be drafted in top 10 rounds though, IMO.

This. Teams can take ex-college starting and make them into relievers if they want to. College relief pitchers as a whole don't have a great track record in the draft.

Todd4State
07-30-2013, 12:14 PM
Which is huge how we got Reid Humphreys with very little real opposition from MLB(my guess is that he was perceived as unsignable)...

Dude got an extra base hit in 1/4 of his ABs this year. Hit a homer once in every 8. Vallot was about the same...

Humphries also had Tommy John surgery before his senior year. That hurt him some as far as the draft not to mention he wants to follow in his step brothers footsteps. This is where our tradition helps us- with guys that are elite talent in state guys. It increases our chances of getting them if there is one in state.

601Dawg
07-30-2013, 12:39 PM
A scout I talked to at our regional was reall big on Reid Humphries and said he would have been drafted very high if not for his TJ Surgery

DogBanker
07-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Humphries also had Tommy John surgery before his senior year. That hurt him some as far as the draft not to mention he wants to follow in his step brothers footsteps. This is where our tradition helps us- with guys that are elite talent in state guys. It increases our chances of getting them if there is one in state.

Half-brother, Todd

Todd4State
07-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Half-brother, Todd

My bad.