PDA

View Full Version : You younger and/or hipper cats.... RE: Rick Ross:

TUSK
11-07-2015, 11:22 AM
I see he is gonna be the GD Guest Picker...

Is he a "big deal"?????

ScreenCaptureThis
11-07-2015, 11:33 AM
I see he is gonna be the GD Guest Picker...

Is he a "big deal"?????

He is. One of the biggest hip hop names out there.

BeardoMSU
11-07-2015, 11:38 AM
He really plays up the "Tony Montana" vibe in his videos....

Hip-hop quality has gone down since the 90's.

ScottH
11-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Wonder if they checked his rap sheet ?

Mjoelner34
11-07-2015, 11:50 AM

First time I've ever seen those words in the same sentence.

dawgoneyall
11-07-2015, 12:21 PM
LOL.

On a scale of 1-10 that would mean from a 1.5 to a 1.

ScottH
11-07-2015, 12:29 PM
Worst guest picker ever.

BeardoMSU
11-07-2015, 12:31 PM

Haha, well to each his own, I suppose.

Mjoelner34
11-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Haha, well to each his own, I suppose.

Get off my lawn! LOL

dawgs
11-07-2015, 12:42 PM

I'd argue hip hop in the last few years is as strong as its been since the mid-90s. It's just guys like Rick Ross aren't the reason why. Run the jewels, death grips, Kendrick Lamar, schoolboy q, Danny brown, chance the rapper, Joey bada$$, earl sweatshirt, Tyler the creator, Vince staples, etc. are all awesome and current. But most of them aren't getting played on your local top 40 radio station between Katy perry and t swift like jay z or drake is.

BeardoMSU
11-07-2015, 12:43 PM
Get off my lawn! LOL

I'm sure this is more your style***** ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu4v5hB1dKk

BeardoMSU
11-07-2015, 12:52 PM
I'd argue hip hop in the last few years is as strong as its been since the mid-90s. It's just guys like Rick Ross aren't the reason why. Run the jewels, death grips, Kendrick Lamar, schoolboy q, Danny brown, chance the rapper, Joey bada$$, earl sweatshirt, Tyler the creator, Vince staples, etc. are all awesome and current. But most of them aren't getting played on your local top 40 radio station between Katy perry and t swift like jay z or drake is.

I know; I was painting with a broad brush. There is some newer stuff I like. Eminem's new album may be a top 5 all time album. It kicked ass. Dre's Compton album is really really good too, but he doesn't really count as "new". I like Lamar, but he's a Dre protege, so I'm predisposed to liking him.

You're right about the underplaying, though. The fact that most kids think of Drake and Ziggy Azalea as "rappers" makes me sad....

Dawg61
11-07-2015, 12:55 PM

No

Dawgface
11-07-2015, 12:56 PM
Never heard of him.

dawgs
11-07-2015, 12:57 PM
I know; I was painting with a broad brush. There is some newer stuff I like. Eminem's new album may be a top 5 all time album. It kicked ass. Dre's Compton album is really really good too, but he doesn't really count as "new". I like Lamar, but he's a Dre protege, so I'm predisposed to liking him.

You're right about the underplaying, though. The fact that most kids think of Drake and Ziggy Azalea as "rappers" makes me sad....

I was never a fan of the late 90s/early 00s stuff. 50 cent, the game, even Eminem is someone I never got into. Just wasn't what I liked.

dawgs
11-07-2015, 12:58 PM
No

Yes.

BeardoMSU
11-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Speaking of Drake....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cehP-8RJbyo

BeastMan
11-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Good artist. Huge in the game right now. That said, I'm not a fan of him personally. In rap that portrays "street content", you need to have at least some level of credibility. Rick used to be a correctional officer, lied when asked about it, and when they hit him with documentation he couldnt deny it anymore. Further, early in his career he was known as Teflon the Don and he wasn't catching on. He changed his name to Rick Ross after Freeway Ricky Ross the infamous Coke dealer on the west coast (whose documentary I recommend). The rapper Ross literally stole another man's story as his own. Just fake as hell. Then he has the nerve to do other things I won't go in to on this board that anyone with any street smarts would tell you makes him a clown show. To sum it up: his music is good although completely fictional while he claims its real but he, personally is a peon clown show.

CottonDog
11-07-2015, 01:49 PM
Good artist. Huge in the game right now. That said, I'm not a fan of him personally. In rap that portrays "street content", you need to have at least some level of credibility. Rick used to be a correctional officer, lied when asked about it, and when they hit him with documentation he couldnt deny it anymore. Further, early in his career he was known as Teflon the Don and he wasn't catching on. He changed his name to Rick Ross after Freeway Ricky Ross the infamous Coke dealer on the west coast (whose documentary I recommend). The rapper Ross literally stole another man's story as his own. Just fake as hell. Then he has the nerve to do other things I won't go in to on this board that anyone with any street smarts would tell you makes him a clown show. To sum it up: his music is good although completely fictional while he claims its real but he, personally is a peon clown show.

Was a big fan of Rick Ross until I grew up and quit listening to rap. Got it all right just wrong timeline if I remember correctly. He was originally Rick Ross, then Teflon Don, then Ricky Roazy. Always liked Ricky Ross "The Boss." But I don't get caught up in all their "street cred" BS. 95% of those guys haven't seen the "streets" in a long time. I enjoyed him on Gameday. About forgot about him haha

dawgs
11-07-2015, 02:30 PM
Was a big fan of Rick Ross until I grew up and quit listening to rap. Got it all right just wrong timeline if I remember correctly. He was originally Rick Ross, then Teflon Don, then Ricky Roazy. Always liked Ricky Ross "The Boss." But I don't get caught up in all their "street cred" BS. 95% of those guys haven't seen the "streets" in a long time. I enjoyed him on Gameday. About forgot about him haha

Most of your best rappers don't play the bullshit "street cred" game. Yeah they might rap about their upbringing and the inner city and political issues, but the best ones are far more intelligent than to worry about that stupid shit.

BeardoMSU
11-07-2015, 02:49 PM
Most of your best rappers don't play the bullshit "street cred" game. Yeah they might rap about their upbringing and the inner city and political issues, but the best ones are far more intelligent than to worry about that stupid shit.

Exactly.

RougeDawg
11-07-2015, 02:59 PM

It's an oxymoron.

But yea, the youngins love him. He's bearable to listen to, but nothing great in my book.

BeastMan
11-07-2015, 03:04 PM
And to the whole hip hop is dead crowd, you're wrong. You just don't know where to look. Commercial rap is not what you should judge the whole culture with. At all.

BeastMan
11-07-2015, 03:08 PM

I don't have the timeline wrong. I'm talking about waaaay before anything you're talking about. When no one had a clue who he was many years before Hustlin. You're correct about a lot of the guys and they're cred. I was just speaking to my personal preference. The street content guys I listen to are legit or I don't listen. I also like other guys like Action Bronson who raps about nothing "street" at all.

BeastMan
11-07-2015, 03:12 PM
If you don't think hip hop is strong right now, listen to Big Krits new tape "It's Better this Way". Dave East "Hate Me Now" tape is another new one that's strong.