PDA

View Full Version : Summer Baseball

Raytoraid83
07-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Preston Brown keeps his good summer going with a 6 hit, one run complete game. Could see his innings go up a good bit next year

Will James
07-29-2013, 10:00 PM
I wish Lindgren would get more PT

He's got 11 K's and only 1 BB thru 8 IP in the Cape. There are 15 pitchers on his team with more IP.

MsStateBaseball
07-29-2013, 10:14 PM
I am thinking he is reliever now. Plus he is taking it easy during summer.

Todd4State
07-29-2013, 10:39 PM
I think it will be Woodruff, Lindgren, Fitts, and Paul Young competing for the spots as well as Dakota Hudson. I still think Lindgren will get a starting spot because he is left handed and he has experience.

engie
07-29-2013, 10:46 PM
I don't like Lindgren being used in a reliever role...

His whole problem seemed to be the mental aspect of going deep in games. He'd go from dominant to completely having the wheels come off without rhyme or reason this season. Some of the "mental" aspect could probably be attributed to his several different nagging injuries, but still, I really want him to learn how to start and go deep into games...

Woodruff Friday, Lindgren Saturday, XYorZ on Sunday(probably Paul Young)...Could be our most dominant top-to-bottom rotation in recent recollection...

I think we're going to have to pepper the freshmen on the field though to get any semblance of pop into the lineup. I like what Robson and Hann are doing this summer -- but we've got to find a little extra power from somewhere(can't just replace Renfroe with Robson) -- meaning it will most likely have to come from a combination of the catcher, 3b, and RF positions.

I just don't see how we can keep Humphreys off the field if "he is who I think he is"... think Collins, Garner, Rooker will all challenge for time -- especially with all 3 projecting the ability to be decent power hitters(or at least doubles guys)...

MsStateBaseball
07-29-2013, 10:51 PM
I will save my "in depth" coverage for my blog but I bet a six pack of alcohol it will be Woodruff on Friday, Young on Saturday. Sunday will be Lindgren/Fitts/freshman combo depending on opponent. Woodruff and Young as the top two.

engie
07-29-2013, 11:03 PM
I will save my "in depth" coverage for my blog but I bet a six pack of alcohol it will be Woodruff on Friday, Young on Saturday. Sunday will be Lindgren/Fitts/freshman combo depending on opponent. Woodruff and Young as the top two.

I like splitting the two hard-throwing righties with a lefty(or with a craftier righty in Fitts)... doesn't have much to do with how "good" they actually are in the traditional sense...

It plays against Young bigtime to come directly after teams see Woodruff IMO...

messageboardsuperhero
07-29-2013, 11:39 PM
I like splitting the two hard-throwing righties with a lefty(or with a craftier righty in Fitts)... doesn't have much to do with how "good" they actually are in the traditional sense...

It plays against Young bigtime to come directly after teams see Woodruff IMO...

Going off of what Cohen has done in the past, I'm sure he wants to do the same thing. I'd love for Lindgren to step up because I don't think we have another lefty who could start for us this year (Irby and Tatum probably can in the future and I'd really like to keep R. Mitchell in the bullpen).

The rotation is the most important part for us to make another Omaha run next year. The bullpen and defense will be there, and I'm not as worried about scoring runs as others are. The starters are what could take us to the level of legit SEC/Omaha contenders.

bulldogcountry1
07-30-2013, 07:19 AM
Paul Young is getting a lot of praise from the baseball guys. From what I recall reading about him, he only recently started pitching regularly and only pitched a little in HS.

Lefthandersrule
07-30-2013, 10:07 AM
I am thinking he is reliever now. Plus he is taking it easy during summer.

Lindgren was moved to the bullpen in the Cape because of all of the rainouts that were bumping him in the rotation. The Coach thought he could get more innings coming out of the pen.

As far as next seasons rotation I do think it will start as Woody/Lingo/Fitts. We will be deep on the pitching staff with alot returning and alot coming in.

For those of you who think pitchers who did well at the JUCO level will come in and jump to the forefront, see last year. This is the SEC it takes time to learn how Butch wants things done.

All of our guys can throw gas and strikes down the middle but that's not necessarily how the coaches want things done. Go Dawgs!

I seen it dawg
07-30-2013, 10:21 AM
The only thing keeping Lindy from wkd rotation is what is going on in his dome.

maroonmania
07-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Keeping with the baseball theme, the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that our starting infield next year, at least to begin with will be:

1B - Rea
2B - Pirtle
SS - Hann
3B - Detz

Everyone else is gone including Flair and I think if Britton was the answer he would have gotten more playing time this past season plus he's barely hitting his weight this summer. Hann as a true freshman got more playing time than Britton this past season. Humphries may eventually take over at 3rd but with him being a true FR I'm going to say Detz gets the nod in the field to start the season.

I seen it dawg
07-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Maybe Humphries Dh to start with him and Detz eventually switching roles as the season progresses.

Lefthandersrule
07-30-2013, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=I seen it dawg;32519]The only thing keeping Lindy from wkd rotation is what is going on in his dome.

I agree. Hoping he pulls a Stratton next year. His numbers for his Soph year were better and with Butch getting him another year confidence is high.

bulldogcountry1
07-30-2013, 11:04 AM
I am hoping we can get an athletic defensive upgrade from Detz at 3rd. He would be serviceable, and I wouldn't be nervous if he started there. I just think he should mainly DH and someone else will step up at 3B.

engie
07-30-2013, 11:14 AM
Humphreys isn't your average freshman...He's the most ready-made HS player of the Cohen era IMO...

He will be a better defensive 3B than Detz on day 1 -- and I have very little doubt of that...

I seen it dawg
07-30-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm not doubting that. If he is ready to hit and play defense on day 1 then turn him loose. There could be some freshman struggles and if so I could see him DH some to not give him too much to acclimate himself to at this level. All that being said I want him in the lineup at 3rd from day 1 but I'm glad we have options to ease him in if needed.

engie
07-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Agreed

Good post

Lefthandersrule
07-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Having options from here forward will keep our program where it belongs. In the National Championship picture every year!

Todd4State
07-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Lindgren was moved to the bullpen in the Cape because of all of the rainouts that were bumping him in the rotation. The Coach thought he could get more innings coming out of the pen.

As far as next seasons rotation I do think it will start as Woody/Lingo/Fitts. We will be deep on the pitching staff with alot returning and alot coming in.

For those of you who think pitchers who did well at the JUCO level will come in and jump to the forefront, see last year. This is the SEC it takes time to learn how Butch wants things done.

All of our guys can throw gas and strikes down the middle but that's not necessarily how the coaches want things done. Go Dawgs!

Young is a special case though. No one knew he could throw 93-94 plus he was drafted by the Indians.

MsStateBaseball
07-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Paul Young is very good. Don't let the JC thing fool you. Once he concentrates on pitching and Butch works with him, recipe for success.

Lefthandersrule
07-30-2013, 05:42 PM
That will work for me! I'm hoping we have at least five pitchers that can start and dominate!