PDA

View Full Version : Assistant Coach Raises

Reason2succeed
11-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Is it time to start talking about giving raises to our assistant coaches? Are their salaries competitive with other big time programs/enough to retain them? Plus, in my experience if you have a higher payroll it is easier to get an upgraded replacement in the event someone leaves. Diaz probably came back because his reputation was still fairly sour everywhere except here.

Mullen's salary is about where it needs to be but I don't want to see anymore assistants leaving for lateral moves. Billy Gonzalez has to be squarely in someone's radar because he has done a phenomenal job with the receiving core. We need to lock that guy up so that the only thing he leaves for is a head coaching job at a major program.

Coach34
11-06-2015, 05:02 PM
Hevesy deserves a salary decrease

bulldawg28
11-06-2015, 05:04 PM
Pay the Men!!!

EnterpriseDawg
11-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Hevesy deserves a salary decrease

Is it Hevesy or the poor recruitment of talent along the o-line? Isn't it telling that we converted a TE to LT?

Leroy Jenkins
11-06-2015, 06:18 PM
Is it Hevesy or the poor recruitment of talent along the o-line? Isn't it telling that we converted a TE to LT?

So Hev or Hev?

AROB44
11-06-2015, 06:26 PM
Amazing-----one day Hev is great at developing players....next day he his the worst coach on the staff. Bi-polar MSU fans.

engie
11-06-2015, 06:33 PM
What are or sacks allowed numbers again? Tfl allowed?

This was always gonna be a bit of a transition OL. I've been disappointed in LT play and think Jenkins should be getting all those reps. It'll get better because almost all of those guys will be back.

Leroy Jenkins
11-06-2015, 06:33 PM
Amazing-----one day Hev is great at developing players....next day he his the worst coach on the staff. Bi-polar MSU fans.

OR... you are talking about 2 different groups of people and neither side has changed their position. Not amazing.

Coach34
11-06-2015, 06:37 PM
Isn't it telling that we converted a TE to LT?

Not really- teams do that all the time. But Hev certainly needs to recruit the OL better. He hit with Calhoun and Jenkins- but every damn OL guy shouldnt need 3 years to get ready to play SEC football.

mic
11-06-2015, 06:39 PM
Hev just treats his job likes it's a NFL gig..me gets paid to do more than just coach... Not saying he isn't good but
If I were the other coaches out recruiting my ass off I would be a little pissed.

DanDority
11-06-2015, 06:41 PM
How is Mix doing at Aubarn?

War Machine Dawg
11-06-2015, 07:41 PM
How is Mix doing at Aubarn?

Buried on the depth chart, as I predicted. I told all of you at the time he was soft and we were better off without him.

SallyStansbury
11-06-2015, 08:33 PM
Maybe his personality is the reason he doesn't recruit? Maybe his personality is the reason highly ranked olinemen with options choose to go elsewhere even if Hevesy doesn't recruit at all?

I honestly don't care what Knox or Townsend think, they are adults making good money. I see O line as a significant weakness and that is Hev's deal. He hasn't been able to coach up Warren and the guards have been weak for sure. Thank goodness the rest of the team is strong enough to overcome it, but will Mullen allow Hev's weakness to persist if it holds us back as it has done this year?

gravedigger
11-06-2015, 08:54 PM
Maybe his personality is the reason he doesn't recruit? Maybe his personality is the reason highly ranked olinemen with options choose to go elsewhere even if Hevesy doesn't recruit at all?

I honestly don't care what Knox or Townsend think, they are adults making good money. I see O line as a significant weakness and that is Hev's deal. He hasn't been able to coach up Warren and the guards have been weak for sure. Thank goodness the rest of the team is strong enough to overcome it, but will Mullen allow Hev's weakness to persist if it holds us back as it has done this year?

He recruits. Matter of fact he's very good at it. Ive sat next to him at a city league basketball game and he not only is on the job every second, his personality in real life isnt the persona we've assigned him.

Fact is, Dak has broken all theae records primarilly because our OL has maintained a high level of production. Anyone remember what happened when we lost our center last yeAr?

Hevesy doesnt recruit one position. He recruits an area.

Our view of the program from the rafters just doeant provide the details we all use in our conclusions.

Coach34
11-06-2015, 09:50 PM
He recruits. Matter of fact he's very good at it. Ive sat next to him at a city league basketball game and he not only is on the job every second, his personality in real life isnt the persona we've assigned him.

Fact is, Dak has broken all theae records primarilly because our OL has maintained a high level of production. Anyone remember what happened when we lost our center last yeAr?

Hevesy doesnt recruit one position. He recruits an area.

Our view of the program from the rafters just doeant provide the details we all use in our conclusions.

My view isnt from the rafters- and I know for a fact Hev lacks some in the recruiting area. He has been instrumental in pulling in players at others positions- but doesnt do everything necessary for his own position group. He views recruiting as a necessary evil- and that hurts us when recruits dont hear from him a week at a time or more

I seen it dawg
11-06-2015, 10:20 PM
Or when recruits hands are too small...

confucius say
11-06-2015, 10:33 PM
My view isnt from the rafters- and I know for a fact Hev lacks some in the recruiting area. He has been instrumental in pulling in players at others positions- but doesnt do everything necessary for his own position group. He views recruiting as a necessary evil- and that hurts us when recruits dont hear from him a week at a time or more

Hevesy is not solely responsible for ol recruiting. No more than Knox is solely responsible for rb recruiting or Johnson for qb recruiting. I'm not saying hev is a good or bad recruiter, just that this notion that position coaches are responsible for recruiting their positions is a non-starter (they often are the secondary recruiter on kids that play the positions they coach though).

Prediction? Pain.
11-06-2015, 10:43 PM
What are or sacks allowed numbers again? Tfl allowed?

This was always gonna be a bit of a transition OL. I've been disappointed in LT play and think Jenkins should be getting all those reps. It'll get better because almost all of those guys will be back.

Mentioned some of these numbers in another thread on the OL, but figured I'd re-post since you asked and the data was on my mind.

Raw numbers against SEC teams:

4th in the SEC in TFLs allowed per game
4th in the SEC in sacks allowed per game

But that doesn't quite tell the story on either front.

The TFL numbers look great in isolation, but you've got to remember that we run it less than any other team in the conference -- in SEC games, we run it about 30 times per game, which is 14th in the league. If you look at the rate at which we're giving up TFLs, then, the number looks worse. Before the Missouri game, we were 70th in the nation at "stuff rate," which is the percentage of our RBs' runs that go for zero or less yards -- about 20% of our total runs. I believe that's middle of the pack in the SEC.

Conversely, the sack numbers actually look a little better when you consider how much we pass it. We're 2nd in the league in pass attempts per game in SEC play. Our raw sack rate on passing downs (2nd and 8+ and 3rd or 4th and 5+) is 4.6%, which is 25th nationally (and I think 2nd in the SEC). Now, Dak and our current passing system likely has a lot to do with that too, but it still seems to be a very good ranking.

(Stats culled from CFBstats.com and from current NCAA O-Line stats here (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol).)

Dawgology
11-07-2015, 08:54 AM
OR... you are talking about 2 different groups of people and neither side has changed their position. Not amazing.

The MSU fan base does not have a hive-mind like UNM. Also, people are allowed to change their minds.

Coach34
11-07-2015, 09:31 AM
Hevesy is not solely responsible for ol recruiting. No more than Knox is solely responsible for rb recruiting or Johnson for qb recruiting. I'm not saying hev is a good or bad recruiter, just that this notion that position coaches are responsible for recruiting their positions is a non-starter (they often are the secondary recruiter on kids that play the positions they coach though).

I understand that they have territories they are responsible for- and Hev has done some good for us recruiting other positions- but at the end of the day- the position coach for players makes a difference.

confucius say
11-07-2015, 09:35 AM
I understand that they have territories they are responsible for- and Hev has done some good for us recruiting other positions- but at the end of the day- the position coach for players makes a difference.

I agree it makes a difference.