PDA

View Full Version : Bo Bounds says MSU has the 13th or 14th worst O-line in the SEC

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2015, 11:01 AM
Personally, I think this offensive line gets WAY to much criticism. I don't think they are world beaters, but they've been completely adequate. Last night, they faced one of the best pass rushes in the league without their best LT & their other LT was injured during the game, forcing them to play their LG at LT. All of this, & they managed to score 17 points in the 3rd quarter last night to blow the game open.

They give up 1.44 sacks per game, which is tied for 4th in the SEC, yet we throw the ball as much as anyone.

I think the running game problem is much more indicative of poor running back play than offensive line problems. Not saying we are good at run blocking, but I believe if MSU had Fournette, Chubb, or even Josh Robinson, the running game would be fine.

Off the top of my head, I believe Bo is ridiculous for saying this offensive line is this bad. Missouri, Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina's offensive lines are all worse, & Ole Miss' has at times been worse.

Not sure why Bo says these types of things when they are obviously not true. Sure, Dak gets hit some & has to scramble at times, but he's not getting Heniged back there. This is the SEC, every QB gets hit.

I love Dak, but there seems to be this constant effort to prop him up even further by bashing the rest of the team, but I don't think Dak needs or wants that. The rest of the team doesn't have to be sacrificed to make Dak look good.

Just wish Bo would stop saying stupid things that are mostly factual untrue

Bothrops
11-06-2015, 11:04 AM
Well he's wrong.

Quaoarsking
11-06-2015, 11:09 AM
He's wrong, but I hope Heisman voters think that when they mark their ballots.

Statecoachingblows**
11-06-2015, 11:10 AM
Personally, I think this offensive line gets WAY to much criticism. I don't think they are world beaters, but they've been completely adequate. Last night, they faced one of the best pass rushes in the league without their best LT & their other LT was injured during the game, forcing them to play their LG at LT. All of this, & they managed to score 17 points in the 3rd quarter last night to blow the game open.

They give up 1.44 sacks per game, which is tied for 4th in the SEC, yet we throw the ball as much as anyone.

I think the running game problem is much more indicative of poor running back play than offensive line problems. Not saying we are good at run blocking, but I believe is MSU had Fournette, Chubb, or even Josh Robinson, the running game would be fine.

Off the top of my head, I believe Bo is ridiculous for saying this offensive line is this bad. Missouri, Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina's offensive lines are all worse, & Ole Miss' has at times been worse.

Not sure why Bo says these types of things when they are obviously not true. Sure, Dak gets hit some & has to scramble at times, but he's not getting Heniged back there. This is the SEC, every QB gets hit.

I love Dak, but there seems to be this constant effort to prop him up even further by bashing the rest of the team, but I don't think Dak needs or wants that. The rest of the team doesn't have to be sacrificed to make Dak look good.

Just wish Bo would stop saying stupid things that are mostly factual untrue

I don't get his show in my area luckily, but of all the good we do he seems to find the negative? Don't know much of him besides what's been said on here so I may be off, but he sounds like a jackass. The last 2 games that shitty OL has helped to produce a little over 1,000 yards and 10 TDs. Can we improve? Absolutely. But to say we are at the bottom of the conference I think is a stretch.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2015, 11:12 AM
To add:

Bo praises Ole Miss' running game & Walton for going on the road at Auburn and gaining 174 yards by rushing (Not including loss yardage on sacks) yet bashes MSU for going on the road, in a monsoon, against a better defense by almost every statistical measure and gaining 163 yards by rushing (Not including loss of yardage on sacks).

Call me confused. Sure MSU's running game looks different because they run the QB more, but MSU is also far more able to gain 3rd & 2 or 4th & 1 by running the ball than Ole Miss is.

His comments just lack perspective

Tripp McNeely
11-06-2015, 11:12 AM
So, it's worse than Kentucky's, Mizzou's, South Carolina's, Vandy's, and om's??? Got ya! ******

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c

WinningIsRelentless
11-06-2015, 11:14 AM
He also said we are missing our top 2 secondary guys. I'm sorry but Calhoun is better than Market and will get drafted.

He is just trying to fit an agenda most of the time. You can't judge our oline based off last night.

TrapGame
11-06-2015, 11:16 AM
But, Bo also talked about how great Mizzou's defense is. This horrid oline gave Dak enough pass protection to throw four touch downs. Bo needs to lay off the Four Roses before the show.

FISHDAWG
11-06-2015, 11:17 AM
Don't get caught talking bad about BO ... the ban hammer has had to much caffeine this am

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2015, 11:18 AM
I think there is just a constant effort to bash the rest of our team in an effort to prop Dak up.

Dak's a great player, but he's also got two outstanding WRs in Ross & Bear. Treadwell is better than both, but Bear & Ross are the 2nd and 3rd best WRs in the state of MS. Dak also has an adequate enough offensive line to mostly give him time to throw.

BrunswickDawg
11-06-2015, 11:20 AM
To add:

Bo praises Ole Miss' running game & Walton for going on the road at Auburn and gaining 174 yards by rushing (Not including loss yardage on sacks) yet bashes MSU for going on the road, in a monsoon, against a better defense by almost every statistical measure and gaining 163 yards by rushing (Not including loss of yardage on sacks).

Call me confused. Sure MSU's running game looks different because they run the QB more, but MSU is also far more able to gain 3rd & 2 or 4th & 1 by running the ball than Ole Miss is.

And we were able to hold up against what most people recognize as the #1 defense in the SEC. After last night, MO is averaging 14.6 ppg and 298 yards/pg on D. That is stout, and we manhandled them by comparison. Bo is a douche.

Dental Dawg33
11-06-2015, 11:25 AM
The OL had some slip ups last night due to having to scramble to patch it together after Warren went down. But there were times where Dak had enough protection where he could have poured a cup of coffee and read the newspaper. I thought they did pretty well given the circumstances

deltadawg99
11-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Our run interior run blocking sucks. No way around it.

Clayborn helps up his teammates after they get tackled in the backfield more than he does pushing guys around. Malone, Desper and Clayborn have got to get a mean streak about them. Beckwith and Day weren't the most talented guys but they were tough and mean. Something that are lacking in a big way on the OL.

mic
11-06-2015, 11:30 AM
It is the one area we need to recruit better.... At least TRY and put forth effort to recruit better... Laziness.

Is Richie SEC caliber yet ??

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2015, 11:31 AM

Clayborn helps up his teammates after they get tackled in the backfield more than he does pushing guys around. Malone, Desper and Clayborn have got to get a mean streak about them. Beckwith and Day weren't the most talented guys but they were tough and mean. Something that are lacking in a big way on the OL.

You are absolutely correct. Our O-line isn't great, but it's also not that bad when compared to most other teams in the conference.

that's the debate here. Bo said that MSU had the 13th or 14th worst O-line in the conference & that's ridiculous. Everything you just said is correct, but can you imagine what Missouri, Kentucky, Vandy, South Carolina, & at time Ole Miss fans think about their offensive line?

I'm not advocating that our offensive is good. I'm advocating that compared to the rest of the conference, they aren't as bad as they are being made out to be.

basedog
11-06-2015, 11:35 AM
To add:

I don't listen to Bo, but if you look at the top and see the "Out Of Bounds" advertisement, then he will always be welcomed on ED by the leaders on this board. No doubt he is out of bounds with a statement about being the 13 or 14 the worse o lines. We are getting a little better each week, I realize folks say "butttttt look at who we played, it ain't the o lines fault!

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2015, 11:42 AM
I don't listen to Bo, but if you look at the top and see the "Out Of Bounds" advertisement, then he will always be welcomed on ED by the leaders on this board. No doubt he is out of bounds with a statement about being the 13 or 14 the worse o lines. We are getting a little better each week, I realize folks say "butttttt look at who we played, it ain't the o lines fault!

I'll be the first to say that I really like Bo's show & listen to it all the time. However, with that platform you open yourself up to being disagreed with. I'm not advocating that people don't listen to Bo Bounds' show. I'm just saying that he made a stupid comment that lacked perspective. The good news for him is that I'll be listening again tomorrow to point out his other stupid comments

blacklistedbully
11-06-2015, 11:43 AM

Why I don't give him more grief. At least he supports the board monetarily. Def don't bother reading or listening to any of his stuff, though.

Statefan
11-06-2015, 11:51 AM
This may shock a lot of you but Bo has no idea what he is talking about

basedog
I'll be the first to say that I really like Bo's show & listen to it all the time. However, with that platform you open yourself up to being disagreed with. I'm not advocating that people don't listen to Bo Bounds' show. I'm just saying that he made a stupid comment that lacked perspective. The good news for him is that I'll be listening again tomorrow to point out his other stupid comments

LOL, hey to each his own, I didn't say don't listen to him, I don't. He has followers, I'm just not one of them.

TopDog58

Yep. Our rb play is lacking but on the inside runs whether its Holloway, Shump or Williams they were getting blown up in the backfield in the first half. Even Dak's first couple of carries he was only able to gain positive yards after slipping a tackle at the LOS. Our guards are just not doing the job

Bothrops
11-06-2015, 11:54 AM
Too many D1 teams and too little O-linemen that can hang at the P5 level. Even less at the SEC level. There just aren't that many good ones to go around, whether it's naturally talented players, or guys that can develop. But it's obvious that we are too limited with our recruiting footprint at this position.

thunderclap
11-06-2015, 11:59 AM
So. What.

Prediction? Pain.
11-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Yeah, Bo's just wrong on this. The line isn't the best in the conference, but it's certainly not the worst. Before last night's game, our line was No. 26 nationally in adjusted sack rate, No. 25 nationally in sack rate on passing downs, and No. 19 nationally in "power success rate," which is the "percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown." The worst o-line in any conference, let alone the SEC, wouldn't have had success like that eight games into the season. Granted, the run blocking has been suspect. Before last night, 20% of our running backs' runs have been stopped for zero or negative yards, which is 70th nationally. (And after Missouri's 11 TFLs last night, that rank will likely get a little worse.) But even then, that's not the worst in the conference. Based on my own rough math, we're middle of the pack in the SEC at our TFL-allowed rate (TFLs allowed per rushing attempt.) (Here (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol) are the national O-Line rankings, if you're interested.)

Sounds like Bo was overreacting after seeing our line go up against one of the best d-lines in all of college football (and without a left tackle for about a half, for that matter).

thunderclap
11-06-2015, 12:01 PM

+1

defiantdog
11-06-2015, 12:02 PM
I don't think our offensive line is the best in the league by any margin, but they aren't the worst.

When looking at the sacks allowed:

Mississippi State - 13 through 9 games
Alabama - 13 through 8 games
Ole Miss - 15 through 9 games
LSU - 8 through 7 games
Georgia - 9 through 8 games
Arkansas - 7 through 8 games
Auburn - 14 through 8 games
Vanderbilt - 15 through 8 games
Tennessee - 17 through 8 games
Florida - 22 through 8 games
Kentucky - 22 through 8 games
Texas A&M - 22 through 8 games
Missouri - 25 through 8 games
South Carolina - 17 through 8 games

Granted, Dak can avoid pass rushers but the numbers don't lie. But I will say, our offensive line did a great job transitioning when Warren went down.

Coach34
11-06-2015, 12:15 PM
Our OL got better when Warren went down

basedog
11-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Our OL got better when Warren went down

It did for the run game for sure. Malone I think could have been a decent tackle if he had more playing time there. Long arms and big body.

Coach34
11-06-2015, 12:27 PM
It did for the run game for sure. Malone I think could have been a decent tackle if he had more playing time there. Long arms and big body.

i'd keep him there he rest of the year- let Calhoun go at RG. With Malone getting reps all week long- he would be fine next Saturday.

TimberBeast
11-06-2015, 12:27 PM
I think the running game problem is much more indicative of poor running back play than offensive line problems. Not saying we are good at run blocking, but I believe if MSU had Fournette, Chubb, or even Josh Robinson, the running game would be fine.

This is not a running back problem, this is a coaching problem. Aries can't call the plays to get himself in the game and holloway and shumpert out.

basedog
11-06-2015, 12:33 PM
i'd keep him there he rest of the year- let Calhoun go at RG. With Malone getting reps all week long- he would be fine next Saturday.

I agree, Malone has the body of a tackle. To me Despar is the weak spot.

Coach34
11-06-2015, 12:38 PM
Agree 100%

RougeDawg
11-06-2015, 12:58 PM
Why I don't give him more grief. At least he supports the board monetarily. Def don't bother reading or listening to any of his stuff, though.

Didn't C34 said Bo doesn't pay anything for advertising?

RougeDawg
11-06-2015, 01:05 PM
To add:

His entire show, life, and being lack perspective. Why anyone listens to his regurgitation of Yahoo sports articles and interviews of people who actually know sports, baffles me. He knows as much about sports as Bucky does QB development. Stop listening to him, vote with your wallet, and soon enough his show and ignorant gibberish will be off the air.

Jack Lambert
11-06-2015, 01:12 PM

I disagree. Dak can fine holes and A Williams can find holes. It's all about Shump not being very good and Holloway being to light. Our first to backs on the field are not very good.

Too add to the conversation this Bo don't know because he is a idiot.

whatever
11-06-2015, 01:17 PM
Yeah, Bo's just wrong on this. The line isn't the best in the conference, but it's certainly not the worst. Before last night's game, our line was No. 26 nationally in adjusted sack rate, No. 25 nationally in sack rate on passing downs, and No. 19 nationally in "power success rate," which is the "percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown." The worst o-line in any conference, let alone the SEC, wouldn't have had success like that eight games into the season. Granted, the run blocking has been suspect. Before last night, 20% of our running backs' runs have been stopped for zero or negative yards, which is 70th nationally. (And after Missouri's 11 TFLs last night, that rank will likely get a little worse.) But even then, that's not the worst in the conference. Based on my own rough math, we're middle of the pack in the SEC at our TFL-allowed rate (TFLs allowed per rushing attempt.) (Here (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol) are the national O-Line rankings, if you're interested.)

Sounds like Bo was overreacting after seeing our line go up against one of the best d-lines in all of college football (and without a left tackle for about a half, for that matter).

Good Stats... I'll compare us to the SEC (including last night's game)
- 2nd in the SEC in fewest sacks allowed per pass attempt
- 3rd in the SEC in fewest TFL allowed per game
- 6th in the SEC in rushing yards per attempt

Far from the worst, and Missouri's defense was #1 in the SEC in yards per play and scoring defense coming in to last night. We put up significantly more yards and points than anyone has all year on them.

Oh and Malone was bad in pass pro at LT, so no he doesn't need to stay there IMO

RougeDawg
11-06-2015, 01:19 PM

Lock the thread. This conversation should be over after everyone realizes this simple fact about "Ignorant Lifestyle" Bo.

Dawg61
11-06-2015, 01:21 PM
It's 2015. Who the **** still listens to the radio?

Sacrifice
11-06-2015, 01:22 PM
I agree, Malone has the body of a tackle. To me Despar is the weak spot.

If I see Despar pull one more time and competely miss the block, I'm gonna throw up on myself.

basedog
11-06-2015, 01:23 PM
"Oh and Malone was bad in pass pro at LT, so no he doesn't need to stay there IMO"......

Harris the DE is a 1st team DE, fast as anyone I have seen all year. Malone would be ok with some practice, it's kinda like dancing you get better (most will anyway) with a little practice. Long arms and being 6'7" makes me wonder why he hasn't been a tackle the whole time.

Out of Bounds
11-06-2015, 01:25 PM
No that's not what I said but thanks for listening.

FISHDAWG
11-06-2015, 01:31 PM

what did you say then ? ... now is a pretty good time for clarity

Sacrifice
11-06-2015, 01:33 PM
I have a question for the O-line gurus on the board. I looked at Missouri's DE last night and there both around 255lbs and lightning fast. They were around our tackles before they could get out of there stance most of the night. I've noticed LSU runs lighter DEs too.
Why not have tackles that are 6'4 and around 270 or 275lbs? Arm length would be the same, strength would be about the same but they would be a little quicker.
It's not like we're locking onto the guys and driving them down the field.
Why not have heavy road graders at C and Gs and quickness at the tackle spots? Just curious

Percho
11-06-2015, 01:36 PM

Not much difference between Bo and a coach is it? They need our help. :)

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2015, 01:41 PM

Pretty sure that's exactly what you and/or Jackson said.

If not, I apologize, but it would still be beneficial to do a little research on the topic in order to have some accurate perspective about what is going on

RougeDawg
11-06-2015, 01:42 PM
what did you say then ? ... now is a pretty good time for clarity

Typical response from Bo. Good thing this isn't Twitter or he would have blocked everyone who called him out for the ignorance.

He spews ridiculous shit, gets panties in a wad for being called out, takes his ball and goes home. Typical and another reason I cannot understand why anyone listens to that garbage. Does Mississippi have no other living human being that knows about more sports than Jackson Prep and Jackson Academy JV football? I'd be willing to bet my house that we could walk blindfolded through the junction and point to someone and they could do as good as Bo on his show. All they'd need to do is line up some guests and pull up yahoo sports and they'd be set for the show.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2015, 01:57 PM
Delete

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2015, 01:59 PM

Bo, Listen to the 45 minute mark in the 3rd hour & tell me you didn't say what I'm claiming you said.

Here is your link:

http://stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=551&c=3041&f=5012123

Prediction? Pain.
11-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Bo, Listen to the 45 minute mark in the 3rd hour & tell me you didn't say what I'm claiming you said.

Here is your link:

Yeah, Shotgun, you're exactly right. Here's the quote, verbatim, while talking about how Fournette would do behind MSU's line: "Dak Prescott is playing behind, what, the 13th or 14th best O-Line in the SEC?"

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2015, 02:17 PM
To add, I think as fans we are much more critical of the teams we support than teams we don't. I know that sounds backwards, but last night during the game, I was following twitter and the national media was extremely impressed with us, while, if you read the game thread, you'll see that our own fans complain about every mis-step or mistake, and say we'll go 6-6 with every sign of imperfection

I think this is because it isn't personal for the national media while it's personal & intimate for fans that follow the team closely. IMO, it's kind of like how from the outside looking in, you think your buddy has a wonderful marriage because everything seems to be going well, but your buddy knows all the problems in his marriage & likely doesn't see things from the same lens as someone with less intimate knowledge of the situation.

That's why I think Bo sometimes comes across as a little extra critical of MSU & why, at the same time, the national media can be extremely impressed.

CJDAWG85
11-06-2015, 02:29 PM
That's exactly what he said. If that is his opinion, that is fine. Everyone has an opinion. Just have the balls to support your statement.

FISHDAWG
11-06-2015, 02:36 PM
That's exactly what he said. If that is his opinion, that is fine. Everyone has an opinion. Just have the balls to support your statement.

yep ... and he's logged in here but so far ............................................ nothing but crickets

MadDawg
11-06-2015, 02:40 PM
His entire show, life, and being lack perspective. Why anyone listens to his regurgitation of Yahoo sports articles and interviews of people who actually know sports, baffles me. He knows as much about sports as Bucky does QB development. Stop listening to him, vote with your wallet, and soon enough his show and ignorant gibberish will be off the air.

LMAO

so you'd rather listen to Garden Momma I guess.

BeastMan
11-06-2015, 02:53 PM
Specifically, which OLs in the SEC is MSU better than?

BulldogBear
11-06-2015, 03:05 PM

I'll agree our run blocking is lacking but we have some RBS that show a lack of vision and situational awareness. I see too many times that we ignore the green patches and run into crowds. We have too much crashing into holes that are supposed to be there but aren't instead of taking the space given

Out of Bounds
11-06-2015, 03:10 PM

Here is your link:

my bad I thought I said run blocking. they're not the 13th or 14th overall (but they're avg overall) shame on me for not clarifying. by live hour #15 on a Friday there's no telling.
that discussion was centered around Fournette & Dak (who's the best player in SEC) and how Fournette is running behind the best line in cfball according to some cfball analysts. Let me clarify (pretty sure I did at some point in show) MSU run blocking is bottom 2-3 in league. Last night, Dak wasn't under pressure in the pocket, too. Oline was battling injury bug.....

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2015, 03:13 PM
my bad I thought I said run blocking. they're not the 13th or 14th overall (but they're avg overall) shame on me for not clarifying. by live hour #15 on a Friday there's no telling.
that discussion was centered around Fournette & Dak (who's the best player in SEC) and how Fournette is running behind the best line in cfball according to some cfball analysts. Let me clarify (pretty sure I did at some point in show) MSU run blocking is bottom 2-3 in league. Last night, Dak wasn't under pressure in the pocket, too. Oline was battling injury bug.....

Makes sense. I'll be listening tomorrow. Love your show

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2015, 03:19 PM
Specifically, which OLs in the SEC is MSU better than?

This is a difficult question to answer subjectively, but I'll try to answer it objectively

http://i.imgur.com/dSTtM5l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/LWK54C2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rDCOHTk.jpg

IMO, these stats are maybe the best for identifying overall offensive line strength. If this is true, I think we can conclude that, as Bo said, MSU is possibly a bottom of the SEC run blocking team, but that Missouri, Kentucky, & Florida have easily worse overall offensive lines.

LSU, Arkansas, & Georgia appear to clearly have the best offensive lines & Missouri, Kentucky, & Florida have the worst offensive lines. Then, in the middle, it appears to differ depending on what the offensive line is asked to do.

IMO, MSU has an average offensive line.