PDA

View Full Version : Aeris

Irondawg
11-06-2015, 12:48 AM
To me he just won the tailback job tonight despite the early drop. He shows some wiggle and burst that made the line look better. We're going to have to get some explosive plays against Bama and that means a lot of Bear, Dear, Aeris, Gray, Ross.

However he must be one of those guys that can't switch hands. Every time he ran left he kept the ball in his right hand.

Also a note that with the way Mizzou was trying to beat Malone at LT by going around the edge, running right at him was the right thing to do so long as the LG and C can hold any kind of block.

I worry about his ball security but we've got to take some changes against Bama.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2015, 12:49 AM
There's no doubt that he & Lee are the most talented backs. However, Mullen doesn't trust them.

I don't know why, but he doesn't.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 01:39 AM
There's no doubt that he & Lee are the most talented backs. However, Mullen doesn't trust them.

I don't know why, but he doesn't.

Exactly. And this is part of the reason we won't beat Bama or reach our potential.

Matt3467
11-06-2015, 03:01 AM
He doesn't trust them because of costly fumbles. We may have had a chance to come back and win the A&M game had Aeris not fumbled near the goal line. I think they're talented but the worry is definitely warranted.

Dawgface
11-06-2015, 07:19 AM
I can understand the worry even more if they have been doing it regularly in practice. Anyone in the know as to whether Williams and Lee have been fumbling in practice?

confucius say
11-06-2015, 07:26 AM
Did lee play at all last night? And I'm sure I missed it, but where was Malik dear?

Coach34
11-06-2015, 07:36 AM
It's ok for Holloway to fumble- but not Aeris or DLee apparently

DLee and Dear were supposedly hurt last nite.

dawgoneyall
11-06-2015, 07:40 AM
Someone or somewhere hear or saw they didn't make the trip. Injury?

I seen it dawg
11-06-2015, 08:16 AM
They won't ever get better unless you let them make mistakes and learn. They are freshman. Play them. Unfortunately we have to absorb a few mistakes. You can't have them make a mistake and then not see them again for 3 weeks. It's not the way to do it.

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 08:24 AM
Holloway for his career 152 touches 2 fumbles, 1 lost. Williams 39 touches 1 fumble and it was lost. So yeah Holloway still has a much better track record for the coaches and they also have the benefit of seeing what they do in practice. Oh and since the A & M game Williams carries have increased in conference games. Shump didn't even touch the RB spot against Kentucky, you know conditions dictated when Williams got carries because of his issues protecting the ball. He ran well and his carries may increase some more and hopefully he is gaining the coaches trust he will protect the ball.

thf24
11-06-2015, 08:25 AM
I can almost guarantee that Mullen's issue with Aeris is ball security. It goes beyond "others have fumbled too, we need to take a chance with the young guy," and I think some of you saying it know that. Aeris obviously has a problem switching hands, and that's asking for a fumble against SEC teams. It's not just that we're risking a fumble by giving him carries, it's that he's GOING to get it stripped given enough of them (already happened against aTm). I really liked how Aeris looked last night and want to keep seeing him get experience, but he's going to have to learn to consistently put the ball in the right hand in traffic, as well as other little ball security details, before he'll be trusted with a heavy load.

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 08:27 AM
They won't ever get better unless you let them make mistakes and learn. They are freshman. Play them. Unfortunately we have to absorb a few mistakes. You can't have them make a mistake and then not see them again for 3 weeks. It's not the way to do it.

When did we not see Williams for three weeks? His work load has increased since A & M & Troy.

drunkernhelldawg
11-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Everybody has written off Shumpet, but he had a decent game. He forced the fumble on the kickoff. His touchdown that was called back on the hold was an excellent individual effort on his part. He showed some flashes rushing. Not saying he's great, but he's also not as bad as everybody is saying. He still has the potential to make the play that wins a game for us.

The running game issue is getting critical. We can't beat Bama if we don't find a way to get three of four up the middle. Maybe we can, but I'd feel better if I knew that the Bama defense had to take our running back seriously.

Not sure what the solution is. Williams is getting better although that was a terrible drop. Not sure what we'll do, but I bet we have a chance to beat Bama late in the game next Saturday. Looking forward to it.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 09:04 AM
All of this Aeris has problems fumbling is bullshit. He has one fumble and Dan doesn't let him play. Shumpert did the EXACT same thing against USM and if I'm not mistaken Holloway had at least two and obviously the one last night.

Williams has ONE in well over 30 carries and it's an "issue" and a problem? And I don't think Lee or Dear have one yet.

preachermatt83
11-06-2015, 09:05 AM
Williams should be our starting RB and anyone who can't see that is either blind or dumb.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 09:06 AM
When did we not see Williams for three weeks? His work load has increased since A & M & Troy.

Shumpert had 8 carries. Aeris had 6. THAT IS THE PROBLEM with Dan Mullen.

preachermatt83
11-06-2015, 09:06 AM
All of this Aeris has problems fumbling is bullshit. He has one fumble and Dan doesn't let him play. Shumpert did the EXACT same thing against USM and if I'm not mistaken Holloway had at least two and obviously the one last night.

Williams has ONE in well over 30 carries and it's an "issue" and a problem? And I don't think Lee or Dear have one yet.

This

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 09:07 AM
Williams should be our starting RB and anyone who can't see that is either blind or dumb.

Or Dan Walsh.

I seen it dawg
11-06-2015, 09:07 AM

It was a general statement. It's been our mo to see guys disappear after a mistake.

thunderclap
11-06-2015, 09:10 AM

Yep. It's time.

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 09:12 AM

Shump had 0 carries against Kentucky. Conditions forced using him more for ball security last night. That is the problem with not looking at the big picture of what they were doing. And it worked! We scored 31 and didn't even need Williams. Get the win, on the road, protect the ball (Dak fumbled as well so conditions were an issue), don't shake Williams confidence, play him in good spots and let him make good runs to milk the clock as well. I think it was a really good job by the coaches with all the factors of last night. And he still is getting more carries since his fumble.

Dental Dawg33
11-06-2015, 09:17 AM
Mullen and crew are getting it figured out. I liked what I saw as well with Williams, but the gashes at the end were against a deflated and beaten defense. He is still an explosive runner and very talented as is Lee. But I trust our staff and back them. Shump made some good plays last night and shouldn't be taken out behind the woodshed. Mizzu kept it interesting on the heels of our turnovers. It is going to be a chess match with Bama and costly turnovers will lose us the game. I am just glad it is not up to me to make the decisions, but I expect a good emotional game next weekend. We take care of the football, get our OL patched together, and contain Henry, we will beat Bama

thf24
Everybody has written off Shumpet, but he had a decent game. He forced the fumble on the kickoff. His touchdown that was called back on the hold was an excellent individual effort on his part. He showed some flashes rushing. Not saying he's great, but he's also not as bad as everybody is saying. He still has the potential to make the play that wins a game for us.

Agreed. He's surprisingly fast when he gets some room to fully extend his legs. I think that's one of his problems; his stride is so long that he struggles to make quick moves in traffic. He's actually been mostly serviceable this year when he takes the ball and goes straight north/south without hesitation. I think he could still be a pretty decent back within our system if the dance and hesitation could be coached out of him.

Also, the subject of Shump's performance last night made me remember this: I hate that belly counter play. We ran it twice for a loss last night. Memphis, who I follow closely, runs it about 6-7 times a game, and I've hardly ever seen them gain a yard with it. I like the counter play in general, I just think that particular play has a terrible blocking concept, and that it's starting your back off at a disadvantage to give him the ball with no momentum in any direction.

BorneDawg
This all day!!!! he hasnt punished Holloway for his .......

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 09:19 AM

You are just trying to convenience yourself of another anti-coach agenda. You know the numbers are not even close for Shump's and Holloway's career on fumbling. It's not even close to compare them to Williams and Lee and you know it because you know the numbers. Good coaching job NOT to let Williams get into a bad situation because of conditions. Shump didn't even run against Kentucky. Thank God we have a player who doesn't have an ego and is about team to take a demotion but because of conditions asked to step into a roll that gets him called out constantly by fans but go out there and protect the ball. And we have a coach with enough balls to protect the ball and Williams as a player and then used him in a good situation in game we didn't need him to when. You are trying so hard to hate Mullen on the majority of what he does for what reason I don't know.

ETA. Lee fumbled out of bounds once this year. On 23 or so touches. Holloway 2 fumbles for his career of 152 touches. His whole career.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 09:19 AM
Shump had 0 carries against Kentucky. Conditions forced using him more for ball security last night. That is the problem with not looking at the big picture of what they were doing. And it worked! We scored 31 and didn't even need Williams. Get the win, on the road, protect the ball (Dak fumbled as well so conditions were an issue), don't shake Williams confidence, play him in good spots and let him make good runs to milk the clock as well. I think it was a really good job by the coaches with all the factors of last night. And he still is getting more carries since his fumble.

And that was by far the best our running game has looked. Shumpert barely played against UK because of his back. Not because of some brilliant game plan by Dan Walsh.

I get the big picture. You and Dan don't. Aeris is our best running back and we are better when he plays period. He is obviously past the fumble against A&M. Just because Milton was a head case doesn't mean Aeris and Lee would be as well.

What we did "worked" because of Dak- and would have worked better with Aeris getting most of the carries.

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 09:25 AM
This all day!!!! he hasnt punished Holloway for his .......

Holloway has gone 2 years without fumbling. I think he has earned the coaches trust. Dak has fumbled 3 times this year, the most on the team. PULL DAK***

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 09:28 AM
And that was by far the best our running game has looked. Shumpert barely played against UK because of his back. Not because of some brilliant game plan by Dan Walsh.

I get the big picture. You and Dan don't. Aeris is our best running back and we are better when he plays period. He is obviously past the fumble against A&M. Just because Milton was a head case doesn't mean Aeris and Lee would be as well.

What we did "worked" because of Dak- and would have worked better with Aeris getting most of the carries.

Shump played special teams against Kentucky. His back was fine and it has mentioned on here multiple times. He just didn't play RB and you know why. You just refuse to get it. Dan has a little bit better grasp on the personnel that you do. By a lot. It just doesn't fit your bias and the fact it worked great last night. It was a good call for that game last night.

Oh and for most of the year you have beat the Lee is by far our best back. That is what you thought except he hasn't done anything against SEC teams. Yes limited carries but Williams has looked much better in the bigger games.

What does it worked because of Dak mean? Crap of course everybody doing their job made it work. That's a worthless statement. Because you can depend on Dak to do his part it doesn't count? That's part of the whole strategy. That's an absurd statement.

MetEdDawg
11-06-2015, 09:37 AM
Please tell me someone saw Shump in the 1st quarter make one of the most horrible attempts at a pass block you've ever seen? He literally dove at the DE coming around the end on Senior and completely whiffed. Didn't even touch him. It was pretty embarrassing. And yes I know Shump is pretty good at pass blocking, but if he can do that kind of thing and still play, what the hell are Lee and Aeris doing that gets them virtually no playing time?

We seem to be mixing it up a little more, but we've got to do it more. Guys on the broadcast pointed it out. We don't have the do it all RB, although I think Aeris is the guy who has the most potential to become that. He's got the speed, he's got the ability to go between the tackles, and if he can get better catching the football, he can be a more consistent threat in the passing game. He becomes the X factor down the stretch if we can use him in multiple ways. Defenses don't do well with RBs who are multiple in what they do.

11-06-2015, 09:42 AM
Please tell me someone saw Shump in the 1st quarter make one of the most horrible attempts at a pass block you've ever seen? He literally dove at the DE coming around the end on Senior and completely whiffed. Didn't even touch him.

I can confirm.

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 09:45 AM
It was a general statement. It's been our mo to see guys disappear after a mistake.

That did happen with Milton and others as well. Can't say some of those calls were not the right one though. I do like he has increased Williams carries and hopefully he continues to protect and the touches get to 10-15 per game for the final stretch. I like that he put Willams in good situations last night and not when the conditions were so bad. We are going to need to get at least 60-80 rushing yards and another 30-40 "extended handoff" type of throws against Bama I think. And Dak, Williams, Holloway is the best combo for that.

QuadrupleOption
11-06-2015, 10:07 AM

1) Can we please quit with the 'Dan Walsh' bullshit? Mullen has taken our program to heights we've never seen here before, and will keep doing so until he leaves for greener pastures.
2) Dan Mullen is responsible for 3 of the top 6 all-time TD leaders in SEC history. So yeah, he knows offense.
3) You acting like you know more about football than Mullen is ****ing laughable. Seriously. Stop it.

ShotgunDawg
11-06-2015, 10:11 AM

The running game issue is getting critical. We can't beat Bama if we don't find a way to get three of four up the middle. Maybe we can, but I'd feel better if I knew that the Bama defense had to take our running back seriously.

Not sure what the solution is. Williams is getting better although that was a terrible drop. Not sure what we'll do, but I bet we have a chance to beat Bama late in the game next Saturday. Looking forward to it.

Shump averaged 1.5 yards per carry last night. FART....

RougeDawg
11-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Holloway has gone 2 years without fumbling. I think he has earned the coaches trust. Dak has fumbled 3 times this year, the most on the team. PULL DAK***

Point missed. Re read previous posts and Try again.

RougeDawg
11-06-2015, 10:13 AM
Holloway for his career 152 touches 2 fumbles, 1 lost. Williams 39 touches 1 fumble and it was lost. So yeah Holloway still has a much better track record for the coaches and they also have the benefit of seeing what they do in practice. Oh and since the A & M game Williams carries have increased in conference games. Shump didn't even touch the RB spot against Kentucky, you know conditions dictated when Williams got carries because of his issues protecting the ball. He ran well and his carries may increase some more and hopefully he is gaining the coaches trust he will protect the ball.

Shump was hurt vs UK. Come on now.

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 10:18 AM
Shump was hurt vs UK. Come on now.

He played against Kentucky, not just RB.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 10:19 AM
You are just trying to convenience yourself of another anti-coach agenda. You know the numbers are not even close for Shump's and Holloway's career on fumbling. It's not even close to compare them to Williams and Lee and you know it because you know the numbers. Good coaching job NOT to let Williams get into a bad situation because of conditions. Shump didn't even run against Kentucky. Thank God we have a player who doesn't have an ego and is about team to take a demotion but because of conditions asked to step into a roll that gets him called out constantly by fans but go out there and protect the ball. And we have a coach with enough balls to protect the ball and Williams as a player and then used him in a good situation in game we didn't need him to when. You are trying so hard to hate Mullen on the majority of what he does for what reason I don't know.

ETA. Lee fumbled out of bounds once this year. On 23 or so touches. Holloway 2 fumbles for his career of 152 touches. His whole career.

And Aeris has ONE in 35 attempts- again not enough to warrant "a problem" especially when Williams only had 13 fewer attempts.

A fumble out of bounds in 23 touches also does not indicate "a problem".

My problem with Dan is his use of personnel which had he managed better we would be 8-1 right now.

RougeDawg
11-06-2015, 10:21 AM

Megan, is that you? How was I Seen It in the sack last night after that W?

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 10:21 AM
Point missed. Re read previous posts and Try again.

What was missed? He asked why Holloway wasn't punished i.e. missing playing time. Holloway has a track record in games, the young backs do not. And how do we know Holloway hasn't had other punishments? And the fact that Williams hasn't lost playing time and has actually increased carries since his fumble at A & M makes it a moot point.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 10:23 AM
1) Can we please quit with the 'Dan Walsh' bullshit? Mullen has taken our program to heights we've never seen here before, and will keep doing so until he leaves for greener pastures.
2) Dan Mullen is responsible for 3 of the top 6 all-time TD leaders in SEC history. So yeah, he knows offense.
3) You acting like you know more about football than Mullen is ****ing laughable. Seriously. Stop it.

1) I'll call him Dan Walsh until he actually beats Alabama and doesn't play call like a wuss in a big game.

2) And we would be better if he would actually play our best players.

3) I've been right about every personnel decision this year. Suck it.

Bothrops
11-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Lee is our best RB.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 10:26 AM
What was missed? He asked why Holloway wasn't punished i.e. missing playing time. Holloway has a track record in games, the young backs do not. And how do we know Holloway hasn't had other punishments? And the fact that Williams hasn't lost playing time and has actually increased carries since his fumble at A & M makes it a moot point.

Williams YPC among other things. And focusing on an essentially same fumble stat.

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 10:31 AM
And Aeris has ONE in 35 attempts- again not enough to warrant "a problem" especially when Williams only had 13 fewer attempts.

A fumble out of bounds in 23 touches also does not indicate "a problem".

My problem with Dan is his use of personnel which had he managed better we would be 8-1 right now.

Yeah those numbers are a problem. 1 in 23 is not a problem? and you want to give it to him 10-15 times a game? Look I don't think that they will keep having those percentages but that is not good at all for an SEC RB. They will get better but what we don't know, you included is if they are doing it all the time as well. But what we have see, for their career compared to other RB careers on the team, they are the worse. But it hasn't even effected Williams playing time in the sense he has misse games or getting less carries. Williams is getting more reps. Hopefully he continues and the possible fumbling issues are behind him. But as far as a track record that we can see, their numbers are not good so far.

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 10:32 AM
Williams YPC among other things. And focusing on an essentially same fumble stat.

My reply was to a post that didn't talk about any of that. Just said why was Holloway not punished. That was the part I responded to. Why would the punishment part have anything to do with any of that other?

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 10:34 AM
Megan, is that you? How was I Seen It in the sack last night after that W?

Get out of here with that crap. I didn't make any snide remarks or name calling and was respectful to his post and in my counter point.

ETA. I thought you were talking about my response to I Seen It. Point stands debate a piont be forceful is fine but that type of post is crass. No need for that crap.

RougeDawg
11-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Get out of here with that crap. I didn't make any snide remarks or name calling and was respectful to his post and in my counter point.

You continue to defend playing an inept back and defend Dan's choice to play him. That pretty much sums up just about every one of your posts, while tweaking and only bringing up the stats you choose.

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 10:43 AM
1) I'll call him Dan Walsh until he actually beats Alabama and doesn't play call like a wuss in a big game.

So Peters and McLaurin should be starting? That's just two personnel decisions you were advocating. JT Gray has gotten more playing time, like them. Which is what several told you would happen. They were not ready to start. And don't forget when late in the game and Mizzou was driving and we had bad tackles on that long run, who was out there? Not the first string. They came back in in the redzone and shut them out.

QuadrupleOption
11-06-2015, 10:44 AM

1) So the moving goalpost of "success" under Mullen is now beating Bama? I'm sure sucked back when we hadn't beaten a top 25 team ... err, I mean, a team that hasn't finished in the top 25 ... err, whatever random stat can be used to say the he's a bad coach.

2) And yet we currently have the 2nd highest total offensive rankings in the SEC: http://secsports.go.com/statistics/football/team/total
Also, I believe we were number 2 last year as well: http://espn.go.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/year/2014/id/8/sec-conference

3) Do tell. What other personnel decisions have you been right about?

KentuckyDawg13
11-06-2015, 10:47 AM
Yet he is injured.

Lee is our best RB.

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 10:48 AM
You continue to defend playing an inept back and defend Dan's choice to play him. That pretty much sums up just about every one of your posts, while tweaking and only bringing up the stats you choose.

Ive said in this thread that Williams was better and getting better. It was a good choice to not play him in a bad situation because of conditions when even Dak and Holloway were having trouble hanging onto the ball. Shump stepped up when asked to protect the ball and once the conditions got better in the second half Williams was the one to help ice the game. In a game when we didn't have to have him out there the whole time. I've also said hopefully he continues to get more touches for the final stretch. But to act like protecting the ball should not be considered is asinine.

mic
11-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Holloway is a warrior... If he was few inches taller and bigger he would be hell... He threw 2 great blocks in that game last night.. One was on the very first play of the game that resulted in Ross gaining 10 instead of losing 5.. The other as in the 3rd on Daks long run, where Bear also made a good down field block.. Holloway gives us all he can every game.. We just have to call on him and use him too much.. And I will question him being one of the faster guys on the team.. He got walked down on that KO return ... I wouldn't have him back there returning kicks.. He gets enough punishment already..would like to see Gray take over that role more...

Shump is a beast on special teams and the little things a RB can do.. If RSFrosh Gibson is good I hope we move Shump to defense during bowl practice and see how he does.. He could really help us out defensively more his final year IMO..

Aries should be our featured back.. He looks the part .. He needs more carries . Take the good with the bad..
But not sure Bama is game to find out.... If we have to throw it 50 times so be it..

I wonder if Lee has more off the field issues than we know about... I do hope him not traveling last night was due to an injury .. But when he has gotten his chances on the field he has looked as good as anyone ... Something just isn't right..

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Mic...the sample size is too small but so far against better teams I think Williams is better than Lee. Lee has 7 rushes for 7 yards against A & M and Kentucky. Again it's really too small to say but right now I think Williams may be the better of the two. I hope they continue to push each other for the RB 1 spot as it will make them both better.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 11:14 AM
Yeah those numbers are a problem. 1 in 23 is not a problem? and you waint to give it to him 10-15 times a game? Look I don't think that they will keep having those percentages but that is not good at all for an SEC RB. They will get better but what we don't know, you included is if they are doing it all the time as well. But what we have see, for their career compared to other RB careers on the team, they are the worse. But it hasn't even effected Williams playing time in the sense he has misse games or getting less carries. Williams is getting more reps. Hopefully he continues and the possible fumbling issues are behind him. But as far as a track record that we can see, their numbers are not good so far.

It's not a problem because the sample size is small. The more carries he gets the better that number gets. That's where you are trying to skew things.

Everyone sees that they are better except for you and Dan. The whole body of work has to be considered and Lee and Williams though limited has been better.

Not to mention the fumbling/mistakes double standard because it's not just fumbling. Lee is a much better blocker than Holloway. Aeris is better at receiving than Holloway. Yet Holloway plays more.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 11:17 AM
So Peters and McLaurin should be starting? That's just two personnel decisions you were advocating. JT Gray has gotten more playing time, like them. Which is what several told you would happen. They were not ready to start. And don't forget when late in the game and Mizzou was driving and we had bad tackles on that long run, who was out there? Not the first string. They came back in in the redzone and shut them out.

I said Peters, BRYANT, and McLaurin. I was right about Gray, right about Jenkins over Warren, right about the running backs. You mentioned Gray.

Do you really want me to go into detail on how many times Coman and Zach Jackson have screwed up?

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 11:23 AM
1) So the moving goalpost of "success" under Mullen is now beating Bama? I'm sure sucked back when we hadn't beaten a top 25 team ... err, I mean, a team that hasn't finished in the top 25 ... err, whatever random stat can be used to say the he's a bad coach.

2) And yet we currently have the 2nd highest total offensive rankings in the SEC: http://secsports.go.com/statistics/football/team/total
Also, I believe we were number 2 last year as well: http://espn.go.com/college-football/conferences/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/totalPointsPerGame/year/2014/id/8/sec-conference

3) Do tell. What other personnel decisions have you been right about?

1) I didn't move the goal post. Beating Alabama is the next step. Dan must beat them this next game. Until then he's Dan Walsh.

2) My point is the same. We would be even better playing the best players. It's the response for any stat you pull up.

3) See above. Lee/Williams, Jenkins, Gray over Jackson, Brant and Peters over Coman and Market.

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 11:30 AM
It's not a problem because the sample size is small. The more carries he gets the better that number gets. That's where you are trying to skew things.

Everyone sees that they are better except for you and Dan. The whole body of work has to be considered and Lee and Williams though limited has been better.

Not to mention the fumbling/mistakes double standard because it's not just fumbling. Lee is a much better blocker than Holloway. Aeris is better at receiving than Holloway. Yet Holloway plays more.

How is that a skewed stat? It's the only numbers we have to go by. Holloway didn't fumble his first two years of getting playing time but to ignore that is skewing the numbers. I'm not skewing anything. It should get better but you don't know that it will. Some guys have fumbling problems their whole career. We can only judge the numbers as they are not what you think or hope it will be in the future. From a baseball guy that's a stupid argument. Especially since we don't know what they look like away from the games as well. I assume what ever issues Williams has or had is not enough to complete cut him off from opportunities. He was second in rushing attempts against Kentucky. I think conditions played a big part in the decisions last night. You don't and we won't change each other minds. I saw Dak and Holloway have trouble with the ball and think they didn't want to risk a young player be put in a position to not succeed and possibly hurt his confidence. When conditions were better it was Williams they asked to carry the ball to finish up. I thought it was a good idea in a game we didn't have to depend on him so much.

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 11:35 AM
O
I said Peters, BRYANT, and McLaurin. I was right about Gray, right about Jenkins over Warren, right about the running backs. You mentioned Gray.

Do you really want me to go into detail on how many times Coman and Zach Jackson have screwed up?

Peters and McLaurin were your main two you wanted to start over Market, Coman, and BRYANT. And they are still not ready. How can you not see that teams go right down the field against them, the game thread blows up about Manny or how bad we tackle (did last night) and it was these guys out there. They are getting better and will be great for us. But it's just not their time to be the main guy. That includes Gray although he is the closest. Along with Peters.

Jenkins Warren thing I never got into because I thought it was a wash either way to start the year and Jenkins would wind up as the starter sooner than later. Strickly experience factor but Jenkins was close to begin with. Coin toss call and the coaches were doing what I thought they would with those two. You could argue either way but either one and our results were going to be the same. I actually thought Shump would do better than he has from what he was building on from the end of last year. He hasn't hit holes like he was then but that was a better running OL. Missed that. Your main guy for the longest has been Lee. You liked Williams and were ok with him getting more touches as long as it wasn't Shump but you were champion Lee as our best by far. I don't think he is and hasn't showed anything against the SEC (too limit of a sample, I know but it's all we have).

QuadrupleOption
11-06-2015, 11:51 AM
1) I didn't move the goal post. Beating Alabama is the next step. Dan must beat them this next game. Until then he's Dan Walsh.

2) My point is the same. We would be even better playing the best players. It's the response for any stat you pull up.

3) See above. Lee/Williams, Jenkins, Gray over Jackson, Brant and Peters over Coman and Market.

1) Well okay. I guess if we beat Bama you'll just find something else to bitch about. Maybe you can go over to Nafoom and get some talking points.
2 & 3)
I'm pretty sure Diaz is the final arbiter over who plays on the defensive side of the ball. Maybe I'm wrong though.
As for the RB spot, it's not like you have some special insight when you say that Shumpert hasn't been getting the job done at RB. Holloway has actually been pretty effective there, especially in SEC play where he's averaging 5.3 yards per carry. The thing is, NONE of our running backs have lit the world on fire in the SEC. Maybe there's more to it than you think?

For the rest, you don't win games by throwing a bunch of newcomers out onto the field on day one. Those guys you mentioned are all getting more reps as the season progresses because they have had more time to adjust to the scheme, the game speed, and college life in general. I'm guessing that was the plan all along, so you claiming you were 'right' rings hollow. Everyone knows those guys all have talent. Those of us who aren't trying to be message board experts also realize that you have to bring them along unless you have a surefire NFL first round pick on hand.

Even Leonard Fournette struggled last year.

War Machine Dawg
11-06-2015, 11:52 AM
To me he just won the tailback job tonight despite the early drop. He shows some wiggle and burst that made the line look better. We're going to have to get some explosive plays against Bama and that means a lot of Bear, Dear, Aeris, Gray, Ross.

However he must be one of those guys that can't switch hands. Every time he ran left he kept the ball in his right hand.

Also a note that with the way Mizzou was trying to beat Malone at LT by going around the edge, running right at him was the right thing to do so long as the LG and C can hold any kind of block.

I worry about his ball security but we've got to take some changes against Bama.

Mullen say:
http://i.imgur.com/MKqTF99.gif

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 11:56 AM
How is that a skewed stat? It's the only numbers we have to go by. Holloway didn't fumble his first two years of getting playing time but to ignore that is skewing the numbers. I'm not skewing anything. It should get better but you don't know that it will. Some guys have fumbling problems their whole career. We can only judge the numbers as they are not what you think or hope it will be in the future. From a baseball guy that's a stupid argument. Especially since we don't know what they look like away from the games as well. I assume what ever issues Williams has or had is not enough to complete cut him off from opportunities. He was second in rushing attempts against Kentucky. I think conditions played a big part in the decisions last night. You don't and we won't change each other minds. I saw Dak and Holloway have trouble with the ball and think they didn't want to risk a young player be put in a position to not succeed and possibly hurt his confidence. When conditions were better it was Williams they asked to carry the ball to finish up. I thought it was a good idea in a game we didn't have to depend on him so much.

I already explained to you that it was skewed because of the sample size. You can't assume that they will fumble either. It goes both ways. Not to mention that Holloway was a WR and then a third string running back- he hasn't had a chance to fumble in two years.

Your problem is assuming Dan is always right when the track record proves otherwise. Dan being scared to put young players who are performing a chance because of fear of failure is a huge problem. He has to trust his talent evaluation. Plus, players have to learn how to deal with making mistakes. Making them sit on the bench the whole time after a mistake is not a great way to deal with. That's scared Dan Walsh at it's finest- scared to do what it takes to win because of a "potential mistake".

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 12:04 PM
O

Peters and McLaurin were your main two you wanted to start over Market, Coman, and BRYANT. And they are still not ready. How can you not see that teams go right down the field against them, the game thread blows up about Manny or how bad we tackle (did last night) and it was these guys out there. They are getting better and will be great for us. But it's just not their time to be the main guy. That includes Gray although he is the closest. Along with Peters.

Jenkins Warren thing I never got into because I thought it was a wash either way to start the year and Jenkins would wind up as the starter sooner than later. Strickly experience factor but Jenkins was close to begin with. Coin toss call and the coaches were doing what I thought they would with those two. You could argue either way but either one and our results were going to be the same. I actually thought Shump would do better than he has from what he was building on from the end of last year. He hasn't hit holes like he was then but that was a better running OL. Missed that. Your main guy for the longest has been Lee. You liked Williams and were ok with him getting more touches as long as it wasn't Shump but you were champion Lee as our best by far. I don't think he is and hasn't showed anything against the SEC (too limit of a sample, I know but it's all we have).

So you're blaming Peters and McLaurin for EVERY mistake the second team makes? Explain to me why Diaz has been trying to get Peters, Bryant, and McLaurin on the field all at the same time then? Did you miss Coman getting picked on repeatedly last night?

Lee/Williams are almost interchangeable to me. I'd actually use them as a tandem. Which Dan doesn't like to do- which is dumb unless you have someone elite.

If a position is a coin toss, you go with the guy with the most upside and get him experience.

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 12:15 PM
I already explained to you that it was skewed because of the sample size. You can't assume that they will fumble either. It goes both ways. Not to mention that Holloway was a WR and then a third string running back- he hasn't had a chance to fumble in two years.

Your problem is assuming Dan is always right when the track record proves otherwise. Dan being scared to put young players who are performing a chance because of fear of failure is a huge problem. He has to trust his talent evaluation. Plus, players have to learn how to deal with making mistakes. Making them sit on the bench the whole time after a mistake is not a great way to deal with. That's scared Dan Walsh at it's finest- scared to do what it takes to win because of a "potential mistake".

That is the dumbest argument you have made. You absolutely base what they have done (stats) and can only go by that. There is no flip side. This is what they have done so far and it took Holloway 115 touches before he ever fumbled. 115 vs around 20 for each Williams and Lee. And if that is matching what the coaches are seeing elsewhere they had better be looking at that. You are saying arbitrarily that it's going to get better because it has too simply because the sample size is too small. It didn't for Milton. Until Lewis got it under control he had limited touches. Graham (whom several wanted returning punts, don't know whether you did) was given too many chances. Didn't see anybody defending Dan for letting him work it out because he was explosive. Most questioned why Dan kept giving him that many chances. Nobody brings up that in their Dan pulls them too quick even though they are the most talented narrative about fumbling.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 12:19 PM
1) Well okay. I guess if we beat Bama you'll just find something else to bitch about. Maybe you can go over to Nafoom and get some talking points.
2 & 3)
I'm pretty sure Diaz is the final arbiter over who plays on the defensive side of the ball. Maybe I'm wrong though.
As for the RB spot, it's not like you have some special insight when you say that Shumpert hasn't been getting the job done at RB. Holloway has actually been pretty effective there, especially in SEC play where he's averaging 5.3 yards per carry. The thing is, NONE of our running backs have lit the world on fire in the SEC. Maybe there's more to it than you think?

For the rest, you don't win games by throwing a bunch of newcomers out onto the field on day one. Those guys you mentioned are all getting more reps as the season progresses because they have had more time to adjust to the scheme, the game speed, and college life in general. I'm guessing that was the plan all along, so you claiming you were 'right' rings hollow. Everyone knows those guys all have talent. Those of us who aren't trying to be message board experts also realize that you have to bring them along unless you have a surefire NFL first round pick on hand.

Even Leonard Fournette struggled last year.

I'm not bitching. I'm saying we need to beat Bama to take the next step. Stop being happy with eight wins and try to aim higher.

Holloway is averaging 4.58 yards per carry. Still less than Lee and Williams by a good bit.

And as far as young players- most of those guys have been in our program for over a year only one is a true freshman. Gray is a sophomore. I'm only talking about playing five freshmen total and two are sharing a position.

You say I'm wrong but after every game this year there are threads like this agreeing with me. That speaks volumes.

JDog13
11-06-2015, 12:20 PM
It's ok for Holloway to fumble- but not Aeris or DLee apparently

DLee and Dear were supposedly hurt last nite.

I heard Malik sheared his output shaft right where it comes out of his PTO fwiw

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 12:21 PM
So you're blaming Peters and McLaurin for EVERY mistake the second team makes? Explain to me why Diaz has been trying to get Peters, Bryant, and McLaurin on the field all at the same time then? Did you miss Coman getting picked on repeatedly last night?

Lee/Williams are almost interchangeable to me. I'd actually use them as a tandem. Which Dan doesn't like to do- which is dumb unless you have someone elite.

If a position is a coin toss, you go with the guy with the most upside and get him experience.

No not just Peters and McLaurin. Green was out there. Gray. Graham I believe you thought was out next best corner after Redmond went down. How did he look? They will get there but you don't have near the grasp of personnel as you think. At least not when it concerns when they are ready. I don't always either. I think they slow played Redmond's playing time too much. But he was out there more than people think because of coverages we ran last year but he should have started over Love at least by LSU or A & M last year.

ETA. If a position is a coin toss who says you always play youth upside over experience? Never have heard or seen a coach make that as an absolute. You don't always do that at all. I think this was a coin toss only because Warren has played in SEC games before. I can understand the coaches reasoning because of LSU the second game. There are definite times you need experience over upside. I think this was a close call because neither had played tackle in SEC games.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 12:38 PM
That is the dumbest argument you have made. You absolutely base what they have done (stats) and can only go by that. There is no flip side. This is what they have done so far and it took Holloway 115 touches before he ever fumbled. 115 vs around 20 for each Williams and Lee. And if that is matching what the coaches are seeing elsewhere they had better be looking at that. You are saying arbitrarily that it's going to get better because it has too simply because the sample size is too small. It didn't for Milton. Until Lewis got it under control he had limited touches. Graham (whom several wanted returning punts, don't know whether you did) was given too many chances. Didn't see anybody defending Dan for letting him work it out because he was explosive. Most questioned why Dan kept giving him that many chances. Nobody brings up that in their Dan pulls them too quick even though they are the most talented narrative about fumbling.

And you were probably one of the ones who were saying it was their blocking that was the issue earlier in the year and are now trying to latch onto fumbles. Again, one fumble in almost 40 touches is not an issue.

And yes, the sample size is too small in this case.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 12:44 PM
No not just Peters and McLaurin. Green was out there. Gray. Graham I believe you thought was out next best corner after Redmond went down. How did he look? They will get there but you don't have near the grasp of personnel as you think. At least not when it concerns when they are ready. I don't always either. I think they slow played Redmond's playing time too much. But he was out there more than people think because of coverages we ran last year but he should have started over Love at least by LSU or A & M last year.

ETA. If a position is a coin toss who says you always play youth upside over experience? Never have heard or seen a coach make that as an absolute. You don't always do that at all. I think this was a coin toss only because Warren has played in SEC games before. I can understand the coaches reasoning because of LSU the second game. There are definite times you need experience over upside. I think this was a close call because neither had played tackle in SEC games.

I was wrong about Graham. Right about the others. Six out of seven ain't bad and still better than Dan Walsh. I like how you are trying to call my guys out on a drive where we held them to a field goal while ignoring the 10 than Dan Walsh's crew allowed.

Jenkins has essentially as much experience at tackle as Warren at this point therefore it's more beneficial for us in the long run to play him.

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 12:50 PM
And you were probably one of the ones who were saying it was their blocking that was the issue earlier in the year and are now trying to latch onto fumbles. Again, one fumble in almost 40 touches is not an issue.

And yes, the sample size is too small in this case.

Coach 57 was probably the first that really pointed out our OL issues. If I remember right especially LT after the USM game. I agreed with a lot of what he was saying. I think was on the OL issues early in the year. You disagree with him? I know several were concerned about the OL starting the year. I thought they would be better than what have been. They have pass blocked well several times. Desper has had issues on the interior at times all year. Let the 5 star marshmallow get in front of his face against Kentucky that cost us a big play recently.

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 12:58 PM
I was wrong about Graham. Right about the others. Six out of seven ain't bad and still better than Dan Walsh. I like how you are trying to call my guys out on a drive where we held them to a field goal while ignoring the 10 than Dan Walsh's crew allowed.

Jenkins has essentially as much experience at tackle as Warren at this point therefore it's more beneficial for us in the long run to play him.

You were not right on McLarin or Peters being ready to start right then. And if you remember I called this weeks ago. That they will steadily get more snaps as they get better and ready to play and flat out said you will use that to say you were right at the time. You were not right on several of those guys. Including Green starting over Ritchie Brown. But as that got ready I said you were going to say You were right. Weeks ago I knew that you were going to try a claim that. And they are still not ready. I even said then I agreed about Gray. I think he has a good future. I think several of those guys do. But upside didn't equal to being ready. And I wasn't the only one when discussing Peters and McLaurin. Coach34 said the same thing about the safety's.

ETA. The back ups let them get in the redzone. The starters came back in and held them to a FG.

BB30
11-06-2015, 01:01 PM

Shoot lets sign you up to manage personnel.

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 01:17 PM
Crap. Why are we arguing Todd? We won the game by 18 points. It worked out great for us and we have already won more games than the "experts" picked us to. Let's just enjoy the win and become Arkansas fans for the weekend. Glad we are 7-2 and thought last night was set up for a bad outcome. Thursday night home dogs, in bad weather, use third string left tackle and we took control of the game. The team is playing as well as they have all year these last few games.

shoeless joe
11-06-2015, 01:22 PM
Mic...the sample size is too small but so far against better teams I think Williams is better than Lee. Lee has 7 rushes for 7 yards against A & M and Kentucky. Again it's really too small to say but right now I think Williams may be the better of the two. I hope they continue to push each other for the RB 1 spot as it will make them both better.

My exact thoughts. Been saying it all year.

This is not a knock on Lee's potential ability but folks are up his ass based on a spring game and low level competition.

shoeless joe
11-06-2015, 01:27 PM

Dude...you have completely turned into the "Smitty" of football season. You do not know more about footbal, in particular our team, than the man who sees them everyday and gets paid to coach them. Geez...

War Machine Dawg
11-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Dude...you have completely turned into the "Smitty" of football season. You do not know more about footbal, in particular our team, than the man who sees them everyday and gets paid to coach them. Geez...

Todd won't admit he's wrong about Coman, either. Kivon has come on strong the last few weeks. Check out AC QB, but Kivon was one of our best players last night: INT, TFL, second on the team in tackles. Two tackles to save TDs, and great coverage plus a PBU to save the garbage time TD. Our safety rotation should be: Kivon, Bryant, Peters, McLaurin in that order.

Statefan
11-06-2015, 01:56 PM
Checkdown Charlie and Dan Walsh

Sigh

QuadrupleOption
11-06-2015, 02:03 PM
I'm not bitching. I'm saying we need to beat Bama to take the next step. Stop being happy with eight wins and try to aim higher.

Holloway is averaging 4.58 yards per carry. Still less than Lee and Williams by a good bit.

And as far as young players- most of those guys have been in our program for over a year only one is a true freshman. Gray is a sophomore. I'm only talking about playing five freshmen total and two are sharing a position.

You say I'm wrong but after every game this year there are threads like this agreeing with me. That speaks volumes.

Stop being spoiled and enjoy the fact that we are now looking at 6 winning seasons in a row for MSU football.

Lee hasn't done squat against SEC competition. Aeris got most of his yards last night in the 4th quarter of a blowout win. He did well with his 3 carries against A&M, and was pretty pedestrian against Kentucky. I'm not going to argue that our RB production has been great this year because it hasn't. But there isn't anyone on our roster who has consistently moved the pile against SEC competition. I don't give a crap about YPC against scrubs.

All the other young guys you talk about are getting reps....so what's the issue?

dawg27
11-06-2015, 03:19 PM

What is wrong with mullen we won 31 to 13 we have been bowling ever year under him besides the first year. Everyone picked us to be last in the sec here it is nov and we are 7 and 2 ranked 20 but mullen needs to be gone he throws the ball to much.

BB30
11-06-2015, 03:27 PM
Absolutely nothing, every coach in America gets criticized and every fan base has that group that thinks they know more about said sport than the coach. Dan is with these guys everyday so I think his knowledge of his team is probably better then anyone else. It is easy to sit here and say this guy or that guy should be playing without any repercussions if said player struggles or costs the team a game. Debating whether or not someone should be playing is one thing, dogging the coach that has brought us out of the cellar after a 31-13 win and making up dumb nicknames is rather lousy.

dawg27
11-06-2015, 03:31 PM
Great post bb30. I mean we could hire croom back run the ball 2 times throw a 2 yard slant and punt boy those years were fun to watch, and we beat everybody with croom.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Coach 57 was probably the first that really pointed out our OL issues. If I remember right especially LT after the USM game. I agreed with a lot of what he was saying. I think was on the OL issues early in the year. You disagree with him? I know several were concerned about the OL starting the year. I thought they would be better than what have been. They have pass blocked well several times. Desper has had issues on the interior at times all year. Let the 5 star marshmallow get in front of his face against Kentucky that cost us a big play recently.

Actually, Coach34 is the one who told me about Jenkins. Do I disagree with Coach57 about the o-line? Somewhat with the benefit of hindsight. They're not world beaters, but they are also not nearly as bad as they are made out to be by some when you look at the statistics (sacks and TFL). The elephant in the room is how Dak, Aeris, and Lee have been able to run behind them and even Holloway at times- but not Shumpert.

I think Coach57 would agree with me that the o-line has improved as well- something I believe that he has also mentioned.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 03:40 PM
You were not right on McLarin or Peters being ready to start right then. And if you remember I called this weeks ago. That they will steadily get more snaps as they get better and ready to play and flat out said you will use that to say you were right at the time. You were not right on several of those guys. Including Green starting over Ritchie Brown. But as that got ready I said you were going to say You were right. Weeks ago I knew that you were going to try a claim that. And they are still not ready. I even said then I agreed about Gray. I think he has a good future. I think several of those guys do. But upside didn't equal to being ready. And I wasn't the only one when discussing Peters and McLaurin. Coach34 said the same thing about the safety's.

ETA. The back ups let them get in the redzone. The starters came back in and held them to a FG.

Coach34 also clearly disagrees with you about the running backs and has also said that Dan has to do a better job of getting the freshmen ready. I would like to see the link where I said Green should start over Richie Brown. If anything I might have said that Green should play some at MLB and Richie at OLB.

The starters also let Mizzou get their first TD since Spurrier retired- I guess they get a pass? And was that Coman who was caught up in the wash on the TD run by Mizzou and getting picked on by a Mizzou QB? And was that McLaurin knocking that pass away in the end zone?

This is the double standard of Dan and people like you- the young players make a mistake- so they shouldn't play. The starters make repeated mistakes- they keep on playing.

BB30
11-06-2015, 03:41 PM
and Shump has seen less and less carries... The young backs were not ready at the beginning of the season and even with them playing every snap our running game would still be marginal at best. We just do not have a good all around run game and we won't for the rest of the year. Not a problem, this staff has adapted the offense to fit our strengths by getting our real play makers the ball as much as possible. I think most fans are pissed because through the good and the bad we have always had a consistent run game from our backs but we don't have that this year. Hopefully these young backs will mature and continue to make strides in development and be ready to carry more of the load next year. We aren't and weren't going to line up against Bama and beat them by pounding away anyways so its really a mute point. Dak will have to continue to carry the load running the ball and just the threat of him scrambling is enough to keep the defense honest, we don't have to have a 100 yd rusher at rb to keep defenses honest with Dak.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 03:47 PM
and Shump has seen less and less carries... The young backs were not ready at the beginning of the season and even with them playing every snap our running game would still be marginal at best. We just do not have a good all around run game and we won't for the rest of the year. Not a problem, this staff has adapted the offense to fit our strengths by getting our real play makers the ball as much as possible. I think most fans are pissed because through the good and the bad we have always had a consistent run game from our backs but we don't have that this year. Hopefully these young backs will mature and continue to make strides in development and be ready to carry more of the load next year. We aren't and weren't going to line up against Bama and beat them by pounding away anyways so its really a mute point. Dak will have to continue to carry the load running the ball and just the threat of him scrambling is enough to keep the defense honest, we don't have to have a 100 yd rusher at rb to keep defenses honest with Dak.

Dontavian Lee's spring game performance disagrees. And I believe Shumpert got more carries last night than any other running back.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Todd won't admit he's wrong about Coman, either. Kivon has come on strong the last few weeks. Check out AC QB, but Kivon was one of our best players last night: INT, TFL, second on the team in tackles. Two tackles to save TDs, and great coverage plus a PBU to save the garbage time TD. Our safety rotation should be: Kivon, Bryant, Peters, McLaurin in that order. He also had a pass interference in the end zone, was constantly targeted by Mizzou and he was out of position on their touchdown run. Sounds like I missed the boat on him alright. I'm glad Mizzou's QB sucks.

BiscuitEater
11-06-2015, 03:51 PM

last night, you would REALLY have wanted to run those guys MORE when we averaged 3.5 yards/carry .. and pass LESS when we averaged 7.4 yards/pass including those that were incomplete?

We ran enough to keep the defense honest. Most of Dak's runs were at the perfect time. We DON'T win the game last night without the effective passing game .. even in the heavy downpour.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-06-2015, 03:57 PM
He also had a pass interference in the end zone, was constantly targeted by Mizzou and he was out of position on their touchdown run. Sounds like I missed the boat on him alright. I'm glad Mizzou's QB sucks.

Not to get in too deep with this but yes he had the pass interference in the end zone but he had a pass defense & pass break up in the end zone on the very same drive so he pretty much made up for the interference. You say he was constantly targeted but Lock only completed 11 passes. 4 were against Smokey, 5 were little short dump offs for 9yds or less, & then 2 other completions so if he was constantly targeted by Mizzou they must didn't do a great job.

BiscuitEater
11-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Please tell me someone saw Shump in the 1st quarter make one of the most horrible attempts at a pass block you've ever seen? He literally dove at the DE coming around the end on Senior and completely whiffed. Didn't even touch him. It was pretty embarrassing. And yes I know Shump is pretty good at pass blocking, but if he can do that kind of thing and still play, what the hell are Lee and Aeris doing that gets them virtually no playing time?

But think Shump did the same thing and was called for the chop block too. They only showed the replay once and they didn't call any numbers but thought he went low on the block while the defender was tied up.

BB30
11-06-2015, 04:12 PM
Dontavian Lee's spring game performance disagrees. And I believe Shumpert got more carries last night than any other running back.

So your argument is based on a spring game(thats reeling a little bit).... and its tough for Lee to carry the ball when he was at home in Starkville. Shump got those carries because of the fact that it was a monsoon and he was the best option in that situation.

And I am not saying by any means that Shump is a great back my argument is that we do not have a good run game period and it would not make a ton of difference on who is in there. Do you think we should run the football more?

War Machine Dawg
11-06-2015, 04:13 PM
Not to get in too deep with this but yes he had the pass interference in the end zone but he had a pass defense & pass break up in the end zone on the very same drive so he pretty much made up for the interference. You say he was constantly targeted but Lock only completed 11 passes. 4 were against Smokey, 5 were little short dump offs for 9yds or less, & then 2 other completions so if he was constantly targeted by Mizzou they must didn't do a great job.

B...b...but Todd say Coman sucks! He's never wrong.****
http://i.imgur.com/IUfGOh9.gif

BiscuitEater
11-06-2015, 04:20 PM

Mullen is the best thing that has happened to Mississippi State football in my lifetime. He has won 20 of his last 25 in the toughest division/conference in the country. News flash .. you DON'T have a single clue about 'who' to play .. period. Just plain laughable that you think you know MORE than the coaching staff. You don't know how they have been practicing .. injuries or tendencies.

You were 100% wrong about Shump in the KY game .. he DID play but not at RB.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 04:24 PM
last night, you would REALLY have wanted to run those guys MORE when we averaged 3.5 yards/carry .. and pass LESS when we averaged 7.4 yards/pass including those that were incomplete?

We ran enough to keep the defense honest. Most of Dak's runs were at the perfect time. We DON'T win the game last night without the effective passing game .. even in the heavy downpour.

I'm fine with the pass run ratio- it's just when we do run I prefer it be Dak, Lee, Aeris, or Dear. Don't get it twisted- I think pass first is the way we should go.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 04:25 PM

You are right- they didn't do a good job. That's why they're comparable to Croom.

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 04:26 PM
Coach34 also clearly disagrees with you about the running backs and has also said that Dan has to do a better job of getting the freshmen ready. I would like to see the link where I said Green should start over Richie Brown. If anything I might have said that Green should play some at MLB and Richie at OLB.

The starters also let Mizzou get their first TD since Spurrier retired- I guess they get a pass? And was that Coman who was caught up in the wash on the TD run by Mizzou and getting picked on by a Mizzou QB? And was that McLaurin knocking that pass away in the end zone?

This is the double standard of Dan and people like you- the young players make a mistake- so they shouldn't play. The starters make repeated mistakes- they keep on playing.

Have I not said, in this thread that it was about protection of the ball and player for Shump getting carries. O a thing about him being a better RB. Yeah Coach 34 said those things. Don't agree with all of it. But he also said Peters and McLaurin were not ready when you wanted to start them. No it was not McLaurin knocking the ball down, that was Coman. I've never said the veterans get a pass and don't play the young guys. I have clearly said weeks before they should and will get more playing time, when they were ready. And they have been. But I do appreciate the complements of comparing my thoughts to Coach Mullen. You think you are degrading me like I'm an idiot and his record of developing our program since he has been here has been outstanding. He's not and never will be perfect with every aspect but big picture, it's working. We have work to do for the rest of the year and I hope it's a good finish.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 04:32 PM
Mullen is the best thing that has happened to Mississippi State football in my lifetime. He has won 20 of his last 25 in the toughest division/conference in the country. News flash .. you DON'T have a single clue about 'who' to play .. period. Just plain laughable that you think you know MORE than the coaching staff. You don't know how they have been practicing .. injuries or tendencies.

You were 100% wrong about Shump in the KY game .. he DID play but not at RB.

Pay attention.

Dan needs to beat Bama to take the next step. If we want the respect we deserve that's what he has to do. I haven't said Dan sucks, should be fired, or even that I know more than him. That's the bottom line period. If we don't it's Dan's fault because he is overly conservative and it holds us back in big games. If we lose to Bama but play call aggressively- that's fine. If we're conservative scared sissies -Dan Walsh.

And I know Shumpert played special teams- NEVER said he didn't. But he was limited. That's why he went right back to leading us in carries against Kentucky.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-06-2015, 04:35 PM
You are right- they didn't do a good job. That's why they're comparable to Croom.

So your problem with Kivon last night was that we played a bad offense?

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 04:37 PM
Have I not said, in this thread that it was about protection of the ball and player for Shump getting carries. O a thing about him being a better RB. Yeah Coach 34 said those things. Don't agree with all of it. But he also said Peters and McLaurin were not ready when you wanted to start them. No it was not McLaurin knocking the ball down, that was Coman. I've never said the veterans get a pass and don't play the young guys. I have clearly said weeks before they should and will get more playing time, when they were ready. And they have been. But I do appreciate the complements of comparing my thoughts to Coach Mullen. You think you are degrading me like I'm an idiot and his record of developing our program since he has been here has been outstanding. He's not and never will be perfect with every aspect but big picture, it's working. We have work to do for the rest of the year and I hope it's a good finish.

You're not smart enough to know when you are being degraded. Blindly Agreeing with Dan doesn't make you smart or knowledgeable- it makes you an ignorant sheep. Interesting that all of the players I said should be playing all developed at the exact same time.

The big picture is yes it is "working" but if we did a few things differently it would work even better. That's all.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 04:41 PM
So your problem with Kivon last night was that we played a bad offense?

Or maybe I realize a competent QB makes those throws? I'm sorry- I know he's your boy but he is a concern- and a huge one.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Or maybe I realize a competent QB makes those throws? I'm sorry- I know he's your boy but he is a concern- and a huge one.

Ok. You're literally the only person who watched last night's game & thought Kivon didn't play well. If there is someone who agrees with you please step up & say it because everyone & I mean everyone thought he played a really good game. Has nothing to do with being my boy or not but to each its own.

BB30
11-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Pay attention.

Dan needs to beat Bama to take the next step. If we want the respect we deserve that's what he has to do. I haven't said Dan sucks, should be fired, or even that I know more than him. That's the bottom line period. If we don't it's Dan's fault because he is overly conservative and it holds us back in big games. If we lose to Bama but play call aggressively- that's fine. If we're conservative scared sissies -Dan Walsh.

And I know Shumpert played special teams- NEVER said he didn't. But he was limited. That's why he went right back to leading us in carries against Kentucky.

So you would rather us play call "aggressively" turn the ball over 4 times be down 28-7 at half instead of being smart taking smart calculated shots and having a chance to win the game in the 4th qtr? We aren't playing video game football. It is easy to take chances against weaker competition because you can out athlete them we are not going to out athlete Bama. Also, if I remember correctly we had several opportunities to score in the first half last year in Tuscaloosa and we turned the ball over that is not on Dan. If the players execute in the first half we beat Bama by 10+, the players came out tight and it cost us. It is easy to say oh Dan called a conservatively terrible game and not look at facts. Fact is we had that game and the players did not execute in the red zone or really anywhere in the first half.

basedog
11-06-2015, 04:47 PM
Hey I don't really have a dog in this fight but I will say Todd4State you are real border line on Dan and his ability to play the right folks in your mine. You can say your not but in reality reading your post on Dan that's what most folks think.

I'm thankful for 7-2 and I see improvement, let's just hope we keep improving but mostly keep winning.

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 05:12 PM
You're not smart enough to know when you are being degraded. Blindly Agreeing with Dan doesn't make you smart or knowledgeable- it makes you an ignorant sheep. Interesting that all of the players I said should be playing all developed at the exact same time.

The big picture is yes it is "working" but if we did a few things differently it would work even better. That's all.

Whatever. I was taking your crap and twisting it and being sarcastic. Blindly following is not the same as understanding that you nor me know the inner workings of the program but knowing that gives coaches led way on personnel. And I've questioned him about even in this thread but it doesn't fit what you perceive so you disgusts that. How is it being a sheep thinking that Redmond should have started more last year. I think Williams is better than Shump, said it already. Is coach a sheep for completely agreeing on the safety's that you still haven't admitted you were wrong about? No. I haven't said Shump should be our feature back. At no point in this thread have I said that. I agreed with the decision for last nights game because we could and did win it, in those conditions, without putting Williams in a bad situation as a young player. We won the freaking game but you refuse to even look at why Shump caring it more at times last night might have not been a bad choice. Oh and Shump had 0 carries against Kentucky. I think you meant Mizzou but who knows with you.

ETA. It's is interesting that all the players you mentioned that you wanted starting weeks ago multiple people told you that by mid season or back third you would see them get more and more playing time. And that's what happened. You were not some guru. People told this would happen at the first of the year, when they were ready. The RB situation is a little different because outside stuff, fumbles, etc. They needed to get ready sooner but they have to accept they hurt themselves as well. Williams hopefully turned that corner since he has gotten more opportunities the last three games

dawg27
11-06-2015, 05:59 PM
Hey I don't really have a dog in this fight but I will say Todd4State you are real border line on Dan and his ability to play the right folks in your mine. You can say your not but in reality reading your post on Dan that's what most folks think.

I'm thankful for 7-2 and I see improvement, let's just hope we keep improving but mostly keep winning.

That is what i am saying we are winning i will take air mullen over any coach we have had.We won 31 to 13 and todd4state said it was ******* fault we did not run lee enough.Have we forgot the croom years he ran the a whole lot and what did that do for us his whole time at state we averaged 4 wins a season,how about lets be happy mullen is here.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 09:25 PM
So you would rather us play call "aggressively" turn the ball over 4 times be down 28-7 at half instead of being smart taking smart calculated shots and having a chance to win the game in the 4th qtr? We aren't playing video game football. It is easy to take chances against weaker competition because you can out athlete them we are not going to out athlete Bama. Also, if I remember correctly we had several opportunities to score in the first half last year in Tuscaloosa and we turned the ball over that is not on Dan. If the players execute in the first half we beat Bama by 10+, the players came out tight and it cost us. It is easy to say oh Dan called a conservatively terrible game and not look at facts. Fact is we had that game and the players did not execute in the red zone or really anywhere in the first half.

When I say aggressive I mean play call like we did against LSU, Texas A&M, and Auburn last year and not scared. I'd rather lose playing our style than scared. If you don't agree with that then look at the results from Alabama and Ole Miss for reference about how your style works. Players play better when they are loose.

Todd4State
11-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Whatever. I was taking your crap and twisting it and being sarcastic. Blindly following is not the same as understanding that you nor me know the inner workings of the program but knowing that gives coaches led way on personnel. And I've questioned him about even in this thread but it doesn't fit what you perceive so you disgusts that. How is it being a sheep thinking that Redmond should have started more last year. I think Williams is better than Shump, said it already. Is coach a sheep for completely agreeing on the safety's that you still haven't admitted you were wrong about? No. I haven't said Shump should be our feature back. At no point in this thread have I said that. I agreed with the decision for last nights game because we could and did win it, in those conditions, without putting Williams in a bad situation as a young player. We won the freaking game but you refuse to even look at why Shump caring it more at times last night might have not been a bad choice. Oh and Shump had 0 carries against Kentucky. I think you meant Mizzou but who knows with you.

ETA. It's is interesting that all the players you mentioned that you wanted starting weeks ago multiple people told you that by mid season or back third you would see them get more and more playing time. And that's what happened. You were not some guru. People told this would happen at the first of the year, when they were ready. The RB situation is a little different because outside stuff, fumbles, etc. They needed to get ready sooner but they have to accept they hurt themselves as well. Williams hopefully turned that corner since he has gotten more opportunities the last three games

And it's real interesting that those players started playing more after we lost a couple of games. But that somehow makes me "wrong". And why would I admit to being wrong when I wasn't?

People like you don't know any more or any less than me. That's why the narrative changed from it was Lee/Williams blocking and when it was obvious that wasn't the issue it was fumbling or whatever. It's just people guessing.

Really Clark?
11-06-2015, 10:27 PM
And it's real interesting that those players started playing more after we lost a couple of games. But that somehow makes me "wrong". And why would I admit to being wrong when I wasn't?

People like you don't know any more or any less than me. That's why the narrative changed from it was Lee/Williams blocking and when it was obvious that wasn't the issue it was fumbling or whatever. It's just people guessing.

Before they started playing more you were told that they would and be patient. They just were not ready yet. Ifyouonlyknew and others, like Coach34 as well with the safety's, told you before hand what would happen when you were on your stump wanting them starting or getting the bulk of the snaps right then. Before our loss to A & M and Market going down. Laid it out to you the probable time table of what would happen, before it happens and yet you were right? Sorry but when someone was debating you prior to the events occurring that you were jumping the gun and multiple guys were not ready but would see increase playing time, and this was before the 2nd loss occurred, didn't make you right at that time. You were wrong that they should have been out there right then. With the exception of Gray but again with Redmond going down they have had to adjust to a more 4-2-5 set. Heck weeks ago I said Peters might even start making starts or get significant time for the final third of the season. The injuries probably made that happen as well but he did get the start last night.

DancingRabbit
11-06-2015, 11:30 PM
When I say aggressive I mean play call like we did against LSU, Texas A&M, and Auburn last year and not scared. I'd rather lose playing our style than scared. If you don't agree with that then look at the results from Alabama and Ole Miss for reference about how your style works. Players play better when they are loose.

The play calling wasn't that different. Alabama defended different and better than those other teams. They weren't going to let Dak beat them with his feet.

The reason we lost is Dak threw 3 picks and the defense let Sims convert on 3rd and long 2 or 3 times when we badly needed a stop.

sandwolf
11-06-2015, 11:52 PM
Dude...you have completely turned into the "Smitty" of football season.

Yep, perfect description.

drunkernhelldawg
11-07-2015, 03:24 AM
Shump averaged 1.5 yards per carry last night. FART....

I wasn't talking about statistics. I was talking about his overall game. I'd love for all of our rb's stats to be better, but so far this season our running backs haven't been used in a way that makes the most relevant issue. Our running game is a necessary part of the rhythm of our offense. It would be huge to get some big plays in the offense from the rb's . But short of that, we need the position to at least not gum up the rest of the offense. Holloway had a big game vs. Kentucky. He's the best big play potential at the positon. However, he cannot play every down.
Farts are rude and smelly. But that's okay. I'm still a fan of your stuff.