PDA

View Full Version : Question about Adidas and Howland Comments always made on here

TStationDawg
11-05-2015, 01:59 PM
I realize Ben Howland has a relationship with Adidas. I also realize that Nike and Adidas both have their camps and try to funnel those players to their partner schools. So it makes sense for Adidas to want a talent developer such as Howland at one of their partner schools to fuel their future endorsement roster. So I could see how they would arrange an introduction and talk both sides up to each other- State get Ben. Ben look at State! I get that. What else am I missing as far as a vital role in Adidas helping us hire him and then get these recruits? I mean, Ben can recruit by his track record alone, right? And if I'm not mistaken, wasn't the post kid we just got part of Nike travel team in TX and not adidas? Just think it's more of Ben thing than Adidas. OBVIOUSLY, I'm out of the loop of this stuff so I just purely asking out of curiosity. So, what am I missing (which proactively I offer- I'm sure TONS!)

smootness
11-05-2015, 02:06 PM
I agree with you for the most part. Adidas was instrumental in getting Howland to look our way, and they have an impact on which recruits we have the best shot at, but from that point it's pretty much on Howland and his ability to sell the program. A lot of the schools we're competing with for these recruits are other Adidas schools (with a more reputable bball program), so he's having to legitimately win these battles.

archdog
11-05-2015, 02:09 PM
And he is winning. Build the new Hump/Howland Arena. Hire me and we will start programming tomorrow.

Coach34
11-05-2015, 02:10 PM
Just because these high profile kids enter college doesnt mean they are done being recruited by Nike and Adidas. And let's just stop there.

starkvegasdawg
11-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Why do I get the feeling the NCAA looks the other way on a ton of stuff involving college basketball?

RoverDog
11-05-2015, 02:16 PM
Watch the 30 for 30 called "Sole Man"

OliveBranchDawg
11-05-2015, 02:27 PM
College basketball recruiting rundown: Adidas makes investments in top CBB recruits through AAU teams, points them in the direction of Adidas programs such as Kansas, Indiana, Mississippi State, and Arizona State.(People wonder why Strick has stuck by Adidas' side, it's because it gives us a decided advantage in college basketball). It is no coincidence that Herard's final two choices were Kansas & MS State(Adidas) Davis's are Indiana & MS State(Adidas) and Kegler's are AZ State & MS State(Adidas) From there on it's a recruiting battle between these coaching staffs. State is in an excellent position because we have Howland who has the connections with Adidas, and an excellent resume at UCLA. CBB recruits look at two things 1. Track record of getting players to the NBA (Howland has that) 2. Playing time (Howland can offer that).

This is why we are in the hunt for big time recruits this year, and for the foreseeable future. Simply put, Mississippi State is extremely lucky to have Ben Howland as HC, especially with the culture of CBB recruiting in this day and age.

PassInterference
11-05-2015, 02:44 PM
Why do I get the feeling the NCAA looks the other way on a ton of stuff involving college basketball?

Because the NCAA profits from the NCAA Basketball Tournament.

Notice there is no NCAA college football postseason - which makes no sense. The NCAA was dumb not to sack up and claim the post season playoff rights. Or maybe they couldn't for antitrust reasons.

Jack Lambert
11-05-2015, 02:47 PM

Because Stands was able to get top recruiting classes consistantly even after choking every season.

Dawg61
11-05-2015, 02:52 PM
Google every NBA player to come out of Kentucky the last 10 years. Now Google their shoes they wear in the NBA. You're going to find Nike on all of them. This is why Adidas is pushing basketball so hard in the SEC. I think once Nike signed Tennessee Adidas has decided to step their game up. MSU with already a great partnership with Adidas has become the beneficiary of Adidas's push in the SEC. Thanks Adidas!

32 Dive
11-05-2015, 03:11 PM
Under the category of "Down the Road a ways..."

Who are some of the younger, up and coming, Adidas-tied coaches that could possible provide some continuity, when Ben wants to wrap it up?

32 Dive
11-05-2015, 03:14 PM
Because the NCAA profits from the NCAA Basketball Tournament.

Notice there is no NCAA college football postseason - which makes no sense. The NCAA was dumb not to sack up and claim the post season playoff rights. Or maybe they couldn't for antitrust reasons.

A lot of people (the more casual followers of the college sports world, mostly) do not know, the NCAA doesn't "control" Football. If they were to try and make a grab for that cash cow, there'd be 60 schools bolting from the NCAA faster than you could say "Red Backpack full of Cash."

Pollodawg
11-05-2015, 03:18 PM
If Howland continues to bring in the talent he is, and we start winning big, Adidas can send whatever uniform they want for all I care. Go Adidas, baby. They can send one with Maroon and White poke-a-dots as far as I am concerned.

Jacksondevildog
11-05-2015, 03:19 PM
So many of our fans get pissed because Adidas has a jersey combination or color of a scarf that they don't like and they are ready for the school to change to Bugle Boy. Some of our fans are really out of touch with marketing, exposure that marketing can bring a program/school and what teenagers like with apparel and uniforms. Just because you think that gold jersey is ugly and you won't wear it to the Piggly Wiggly in Utica doesn't mean that some 17 year old that we are recruiting doesn't love it.

Dawg61
11-05-2015, 03:24 PM
So many of our fans get pissed because Adidas has a jersey combination or color of a scarf that they don't like and they are ready for the school to change to Bugle Boy. Some of our fans are really out of touch with marketing, exposure that marketing can bring a program/school and what teenagers like with apparel and uniforms. Just because you think that gold jersey is ugly and you won't wear it to the Piggly Wiggly in Utica doesn't mean that some 17 year old that we are recruiting doesn't love it.

Haha love the Bugle Boy comment

TStationDawg
11-05-2015, 04:20 PM
Just because these high profile kids enter college doesnt mean they are done being recruited by Nike and Adidas. And let's just stop there.

and there it is. THAT makes sense. Always follow the dollar....