PDA

View Full Version : Physical Education Program

Gen. Grant
07-29-2013, 03:02 PM
I recently had a conversation with a big time bear fan/donor of mine and he told me that the university of ole miss did not have a physical ed program/coaching. I found it hard to believe, but he went on to say that this hurts them quite a bit in baseball and basketball recruiting since State does have a program. I guess he was trying to say that State pumps out coaches all over the state that push kids in to our university, and that is the only reason we have better programs.

I just don't buy it. I don't think it gives us that big of a heads up on them but I could be wrong. I know a lot of pro UM coaches, unfortunately. What do y'all think? Should this be something that MSU could improve on to make sure that we send out more MSU educated high school coaches?

FISHDAWG
07-29-2013, 03:06 PM
sounds like pretty reasonable speculation to me ... I had no idea, I thought almost all schools had that curriculum

I seen it dawg
07-29-2013, 03:08 PM
A lot of guys that go thru our program leave the state bc you can make more money elsewhere

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-29-2013, 03:34 PM
I recently had a conversation with a big time bear fan/donor of mine and he told me that the university of ole miss did not have a physical ed program/coaching. I found it hard to believe, but he went on to say that this hurts them quite a bit in baseball and basketball recruiting since State does have a program. I guess he was trying to say that State pumps out coaches all over the state that push kids in to our university, and that is the only reason we have better programs.

I just don't buy it. I don't think it gives us that big of a heads up on them but I could be wrong. I know a lot of pro UM coaches, unfortunately. What do y'all think? Should this be something that MSU could improve on to make sure that we send out more MSU educated high school coaches?
I could be wrong, but I think that this was one of the things that the ForwardRebels campaign wanted from the Chancellor and AD. They thought by adding this program they would create more of a pipeline in the entire state and could use it against us. It would be interesting to see how many active coaches in MS high schools have ties to State or om.

blacklistedbully
07-29-2013, 04:17 PM
I suspect he's trying to claim what many of their koolaid drinkers do, that we have an "easy major" for athletes to pursue, and they don't, so they can't recruit the "dumb jocks" like we can. Of course that's complete BS, as they have "Interdisciplinary Studies" and the "Parks & Rec Management" program, etc.

WeWonItAll(Most)
07-29-2013, 05:30 PM
I suspect he's trying to claim what many of their koolaid drinkers do, that we have an "easy major" for athletes to pursue, and they don't, so they can't recruit the "dumb jocks" like we can. Of course that's complete BS, as they have "Interdisciplinary Studies" and the "Parks & Rec Management" program, etc.

I know at least 2 high school and middle school coaches that went to OM that majored in Parks and Rec Management.

Todd4State
07-29-2013, 05:39 PM
Well, as far as baseball goes we succeed in this state because of our tradition in baseball. And the reason for it is because we have a history of winning. I'm not saying that Ole Miss is a bad baseball program or can't succeed- but we are historically a better program overall.

They are going to get most of the kids that grow up Ole Miss fans. USM will get the kids that grew up USM fans. We are going to get most of the kids that are State fans. And yes, there are a few exceptions- but in general that's how it works. So then you have the kids that fall into the category of neutral- and because of our tradition we get a most of those kids in addition to our fans.

I would say the coach's alma mater matters the least in baseball of any sport. They may bad mouth Cohen and try to steer kids to somewhere else- but at the end of the day if a kid wants to go to MSU that grew up a MSU fan or was neutral growing up, we are going to get them in most cases.

The reason that they think that way is because of coaches like Bobby Hall and Lance Pogue. But even then- Hall couldn't stop Devon Desper from coming on board and Pogue couldn't stop Kendrick Market from coming to us. Just like Mike Justice went to MSU and had a son that walked on the team and he didn't stop Buckles and all of those guys going to Ole Miss.