PDA

View Full Version : Keys to Victory Against Missouri

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2015, 10:45 AM
1. Don't turn the ball over on our side of the field

2. Tackle

I think this about sums it up. We do both of these things marginally well, & we'll walk out with a W. With 80+% chance of rain though, these two things could be problematic.

It really just comes down to this. Play calling, general execution, big plays, etc... are IMO secondary in this game. Just go take care of bidness & play fundamentally sound football.

Liverpooldawg
11-04-2015, 10:55 AM
It generally always comes down to who plays the most fundamentally sound football: blocking, tackling, and holding on to the football.

TrapGame
11-04-2015, 11:53 AM
I'm a little worried about Williams and Lee fumbling the ball in the rain.

Dawg Corps
11-04-2015, 12:10 PM
I'm more concerned about that fact that the majority of our offensive production has been through the air. Rain is going to complicate things. We've got to play physical, smashmouth ball between the tackles to open up our outside run game and take some pressure off of the passing game.

BB30
11-04-2015, 12:14 PM
We will be fine in the rain, rain doesn't hurt receivers near as much as it does dbs. And, I actually think we see an average run game which we haven't had all year.

scottycameron
11-04-2015, 12:14 PM

2. Tackle

I think this about sums it up. We do both of these things marginally well, & we'll walk out with a W. With 80+% chance of rain though, these two things could be problematic.

It really just comes down to this. Play calling, general execution, big plays, etc... are IMO secondary in this game. Just go take care of bidness & play fundamentally sound football.

my keys to victory

1. show up

scottycameron
11-04-2015, 12:16 PM
after thinking about it.....actually I guess there is slightly more to it than show up, I'll revise:

1. show up

2. score a point

That should do it.

deltadawg99
11-04-2015, 12:18 PM
We've got to have some success running the ball. We are a way better team, but of it's late in the game and we're up, we have to be able to run the ball to control the clock instead of relying on short passes. Especially in the rain.

scottycameron
11-04-2015, 12:22 PM
We've got to have some success running the ball. We are a way better team, but of it's late in the game and we're up, we have to be able to run the ball to control the clock instead of relying on short passes. Especially in the rain.

If we're up at any point in the game we won't have to a dang thing. Unless they institute an new scoring system where points can be taken off the scoreboard before saturday, it will be over. Mizzou cannot score. Have you guys been following them at all?

smootness
11-04-2015, 12:24 PM
my keys to victory

1. show up

Haha I was literally coming to post the exact same thing.

Liverpooldawg
11-04-2015, 12:25 PM
I'm more concerned about that fact that the majority of our offensive production has been through the air. Rain is going to complicate things. We've got to play physical, smashmouth ball between the tackles to open up our outside run game and take some pressure off of the passing game.

We aren't a smashmouth team. Trying to be one when you aren't is ALWAYS a disaster. It's also EASIER for the passing game in the rain. Receivers know where they are going, defensive backs don't.

Irondawg
11-04-2015, 12:29 PM
As long as the QB can hold onto the ball and not throw some ducks with it slipping out.

We should be fine and I would expect a ton of short passes to Dear and Holloway early in lieu of runs. Ideally we'd run Dak but I think we will do everything we can to no run him more than 5-8 times to keep him from getting dinged up before Bama

tcdog70
11-04-2015, 12:30 PM
score 3 tds and that should be enough.

Dawg Corps
11-04-2015, 12:34 PM
I don't doubt that it's easier for a receiver to get open in the rain. What I have doubts about is the ease of throwing and catching in the rain. I know the new receiver gloves have been mentioned, so maybe it's a moot point...but I'm still worried about it.

HancockCountyDog
11-04-2015, 12:38 PM

Are you assuming we give up 2 special team TD's and two FGS?

Dental Dawg33
11-04-2015, 01:13 PM
If we're up at any point in the game we won't have to a dang thing. Unless they institute an new scoring system where points can be taken off the scoreboard before saturday, it will be over. Mizzou cannot score. Have you guys been following them at all?

Agreed. I want to put up 4+ TDs against a stout defense, but don't be surprised if a TD and maybe a couple field goals is more than enough to win

scottycameron
11-04-2015, 02:21 PM

3 extra points would be more than enough.

justwin
11-04-2015, 02:39 PM

2. Tackle

I'd like to score 10+ points in the 1Q and end it early.

scottycameron
11-04-2015, 03:38 PM
I'd like to score 10+ points in the 1Q and end it early.

3 pts in the 1Q will end it early.

CJDAWG85
11-04-2015, 06:45 PM
START FAST

tcdog70
11-04-2015, 10:04 PM
They beat South Carolina. Don't get too cocky. They have a heck of a defense.

smootness
11-04-2015, 10:31 PM
They beat South Carolina. Don't get too cocky. They have a heck of a defense.

South Carolina is garbage.

TaleofTwoDogs
11-04-2015, 11:57 PM
My concern is that they play aggressive defense and disrupt our backfield forcing turnovers or a bobbled wet screen pass or WR screen turns into a pick 6. Rain can cause all manner of weird plays. Don't forget this is a home game for MO and they will probably be fired up to atone for the Vandy game.

klong-dog
11-05-2015, 03:25 AM
Hopefully Dak's been playing playing with wet balls all week, in preparation for the game.

Bothrops
11-05-2015, 11:20 AM
Blocking

Coach 57
11-05-2015, 01:55 PM
In games like tonight's game it essentially boils down to fundamentals. But we need to get on them EARLY and knock the wind out of thief sails. And we need to play call that way. On offense and defense. I think we need to be really aggressive (play calling wise) on D.

MSUDawg4Life
11-05-2015, 02:03 PM
I'm thinking turnovers could be a deciding factor in this game.

Protect the ball.

Dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

Play our game.

Do that and I think we win.