PDA

View Full Version : Basketball signing day

msstate7
11-03-2015, 10:56 PM
When does the early signing period start and who do we expect to sign then?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-03-2015, 11:05 PM
When does the early signing period start and who do we expect to sign then?

Nov 11-18 Early signing period

not sure who we expect but I am hoping Kegler, Herard, Davis..I think Ifyouonlyknew said Ado was going to wait until the late signing period

Ifyouonlyknew
11-03-2015, 11:25 PM
Everybody who commits is expected to sign in the early period.

smootness
11-04-2015, 12:21 AM
Herard is set to announce tomorrow, right?

Jacksondevildog
11-04-2015, 07:14 AM
Yes. At noon CT.

engie
11-04-2015, 07:41 AM

Personally, I think this has a chance to be the one that really opens the flood gates. I think we may see a full reset in our recruiting after the early period. It's a decent chance we would have signed 6 or 7 elite guys for all 5 positions. If it goes down like that IMO we will be able to just chase rabbits and Westbrookish Howland projects in the late period. We would roughly have all the "needs" in the class covered already.

messageboardsuperhero
11-04-2015, 08:12 AM
Personally, I think this has a chance to be the one that really opens the flood gates. I think we may see a full reset in our recruiting after the early period. It's a decent chance we would have signed 6 or 7 elite guys for all 5 positions. If it goes down like that IMO we will be able to just chase rabbits and Westbrookish Howland projects in the late period. We would roughly have all the "needs" in the class covered already.

If we were to sign six of the seven on our board in the early period, all of our focus would shift almost exclusively to 2017 and 2018, and we'd seemingly have a huge leg up for those classes. Of course if something comes along late in 16 class that is too good to pass up, you have to take that into consideration as well.

TStationDawg
11-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Happy "6'10 255, HalfmanHalfbeast day" to everyone! On HUMP DAY no less!??!?!?!?

smootness
11-04-2015, 10:59 AM
If we were to sign six of the seven on our board in the early period, all of our focus would shift almost exclusively to 2017 and 2018, and we'd seemingly have a huge leg up for those classes. Of course if something comes along late in 16 class that is too good to pass up, you have to take that into consideration as well.

Yeah, this is the way I see it. It's going to be hard for us to bring in more than 7 guys in the class for a couple reasons. Even at 7 guys, someone will probably have to be basically cut. And you just don't want too many guys who are part of the same class.

There's little chance of us signing 8 guys, IMO.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-04-2015, 11:20 AM
Haitian Sensation

C222
11-04-2015, 11:30 AM

We probably only have room for 2 in 2017 unless there is a transfer/cut/player leaving early. Those 2 are Nick Weatherspoon and Garrison Brooks.

smootness
11-04-2015, 11:43 AM
We probably only have room for 2 in 2017 unless there is a transfer/cut/player leaving early. Those 2 are Nick Weatherspoon and Garrison Brooks.

I'm thinking we'll end up with 3-4 in that class. Assuming we take 6-7 this year, our roster will be something like this next year:
Ready - Sr
Houston - Jr
Ndoye - Jr
Stapleton - So/Jr
Weatherspoon - So
Holman - So
Strugg - So
Kegler - Fr
Herard - Fr
Peters - Fr
Carter - Fr
Wright - Fr
Davis/Ado/maybe a JUCO

If we take Davis AND Ado, or one of them and a JUCO, then obviously someone else will have to go. But Ready will open up one spot. I think there's a decent chance Holman leaves and opens up another spot; the injury may set him back some, but I still think that has a reasonable chance of happening. Then I think Kegler's goal will be to be a one-and-done. Time will tell how effective he'll be on the court, but I think he'll come in with that mindset. That would be 3.

Beyond that, there's a chance one of the freshmen transfers out if they don't get the playing time they want, or one of the older guys transfers out. Or someone else could really progress and leave early as well.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-04-2015, 11:45 AM

speaking of Weatherspoon, have you seen his highlight videos? Oh my he is explosive!

smootness
11-04-2015, 12:02 PM
Yes. At noon CT.

Will it be shown anywhere?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Don't think so...I do know however that Gene is in Plano Texas for the ceremony.

Dawg61
11-04-2015, 12:05 PM
You think a guy that hasn't played a second wants to transfer out? A top 100 player at that. I'd think you'd think Ndoye or Strugg or Houston first before you got that itch that Holman wants out. Random player to assume wants to go is all I'm saying. He just got here.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Well Howland does have a past of players transferring out....But the benefit of his coaching and recruiting trumps this

smootness
11-04-2015, 12:18 PM
You think a guy that hasn't played a second wants to transfer out? A top 100 player at that. I'd think you'd think Ndoye or Strugg or Houston first before you got that itch that Holman wants out. Random player to assume wants to go is all I'm saying. He just got here.

I wasn't saying Holman would transfer out. I was saying he would leave early for the NBA.

smootness
11-04-2015, 12:19 PM
Don't think so...I do know however that Gene is in Plano Texas for the ceremony.

Yeah, looks like he'll Periscope it.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Gene says it will be on his periscope for those who follow him on Twitter

Dawg61
11-04-2015, 01:14 PM
I wasn't saying Holman would transfer out. I was saying he would leave early for the NBA.

I hope he's that good but I doubt he's a one or two year guy. He's injured right now and isn't expected back till January correct?

smootness
11-04-2015, 01:21 PM
I hope he's that good but I doubt he's a one or two year guy. He's injured right now and isn't expected back till January correct?

Correct, but from all accounts he has tons of skill. Just needs to get a little stronger and prove himself. I could see him having a pretty big year next year.

Dawg61
11-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Correct, but from all accounts he has tons of skill. Just needs to get a little stronger and prove himself. I could see him having a pretty big year next year.

Hope you're right