PDA

View Full Version : Wes' First Day

TStationDawg
11-03-2015, 04:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM333VMbiQA

I love this guy's intensity and coaching style! LOVE. IT!

Irondawg
11-03-2015, 05:05 PM
I could have watched 30 min of that. I think we did well

Bothrops
11-03-2015, 05:09 PM
More please!

gtowndawg
11-03-2015, 05:32 PM
They can't even remember to put the logo on all the hats.

//I'm sure there is a reason of which I would love to know.

mstatefan91
11-03-2015, 05:36 PM

It's practice in the fall...

Now, if they trot out there for a game without logos on their hats, then bitch up a storm. Please

TStationDawg
11-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Me too! I love it! Break some hurdles and chip some paint!

Homedawg
11-03-2015, 06:15 PM

They had to earn their number and their logo on the hat among other things. On field and off field items decide when u get it

Coach34
11-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Some people wont like hearing this- but we have upgraded at Pitching Coach

mstatefan91
11-03-2015, 06:27 PM

Idk why anybody would have a problem with that...

rolodawg
11-03-2015, 06:34 PM
Intense Bastard 2.0

preachermatt83
11-03-2015, 07:08 PM

Yes we have. No doubt.

thf24
11-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Idk why anybody would have a problem with that...

No one should have a problem with an upgrade; it's that some people might resist calling anyone an upgrade over Butch specifically. But it's probably true... as much as I and I'm sure just about everyone appreciates how good Butch was and how much he did for us, Johnson's philosophy is very likely superior in the era of the new ball.

ETA: I'm interested to see if Butch, whether he hires a pitching coach or serves as his own pitching coach at Auburn, realizes this or not.

MSUDawg4Life
11-03-2015, 09:09 PM
The proof will be in the pudding.

gtowndawg
11-03-2015, 09:12 PM
They had to earn their number and their logo on the hat among other things. On field and off field items decide when u get it

I was just joking about Adidas. I knew there had to be a specific reason. Thanks for the info.

engie
11-03-2015, 09:38 PM
Unlikely we ever truly know if he's superior to Butch. Table is set to have an elite staff for long enough to get a head job without ever really having to go recruit. Butch was a total package -- hence why he's an SEC head coach now off a "bad" year. Butch 10 months removed from being national coach of the year via 2 major publications. People underestimate just how good he was overall.

I'm looking forward to the change in philosophy as much as anyone. And we have a chance to have an elite staff going forward. But I don't get the hyperbole just yet. I thought we saw normal fall workouts in those videos. Nothing revolutionary. At least not that they showed us. Although the reverse medicine ball throw made my throwing shoulder start hurting. Guess I should have gotten it fixed.

AlSwearengen
11-03-2015, 09:41 PM

Working on his kinesiology masters. Bringing science to the mound and he is likely applying things that a lot of pitching coaches have no idea exists.

bulldogcountry1
11-04-2015, 09:30 AM
Good stuff. I think I could just stand back, listen, and soak that in for hours.

bulldogcountry1
11-04-2015, 09:31 AM
What are the practice rules for this time of year?

Rick Danko
11-04-2015, 09:36 AM
"That's how you get into the 7th". Love it, hope to see the results this year possibly

Homedawg
11-04-2015, 09:42 AM
What are the practice rules for this time of year?

4 players to 1 coach 2 hours per week. That doesn't include time w s/c coach.

BB30
11-04-2015, 10:49 AM
Working on his kinesiology masters. Bringing science to the mound and he is likely applying things that a lot of pitching coaches have no idea exists.

Everything in that video is done at most every college from JUCO to NAIA to D1. Outside of the reverse medicine ball throws which is done in PT for shoulder injuries most of that is very common.

RocketCityDawg
11-04-2015, 02:01 PM
Nothing revolutionary. At least not that they showed us. Although the reverse medicine ball throw made my throwing shoulder start hurting. Guess I should have gotten it fixed.

My shoulder started aching too.

I was really worried about the timing of Butch leaving, but it looks like we hit it out of the park.

I seen it dawg
11-04-2015, 02:15 PM
"Body language goes bad I'm gonna roast you" all I needed to hear

AlSwearengen
11-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Everything in that video is done at most every college from JUCO to NAIA to D1. Outside of the reverse medicine ball throws which is done in PT for shoulder injuries most of that is very common.

I doubt the things in the video are all that he will be teaching. He is apparently doing something different that helps his pitchers gain so much velocity. Hopefully not 'roids.

I seen it dawg
11-04-2015, 07:30 PM
Roids? Really?

TStationDawg
11-04-2015, 07:33 PM
So....how do you take cred points away? Just curious???

dawgoneyall
11-04-2015, 07:37 PM
Butch's first year was one of the finest jobs any time any where. We had very little pitching talent and still competed. Didn't win many but competed.

godlluB
11-04-2015, 07:38 PM

I asked @hailstatebb that question during Fall ball. Some players had the logo, some didn't. I was told "they have to earn it", but I've
never been able to find out how, exactly, they earn it.

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2015, 08:29 PM
Roids? Really?

Wes is a bio mechanical wizard that increases velocity, command, and health by doing the following things.

1. Removing mechanical inefficiencies in the delivery. I.e, landing on your heel rather than toe.

2. Through explosive excersises that increase the power of an athlete (Med ball stuff)

3. Creating a more athletic delivery down the mound that incorporates the entire body. (Increasing ankle flexion, lower half drive, stride length, and work through your heel with you back foot instead of your toe)

4. creating a competitive culture where players compete in everything and throwing with intent becomes a badge of honor. (Having contests for who can throw the hardest turn & burn)

I seen it dawg
11-04-2015, 08:37 PM
Wes is a bio mechanical wizard that increases velocity, command, and health by doing the following things.

1. Removing mechanical inefficiencies in the delivery. I.e, landing on your heel rather than toe.

2. Through explosive excersises that increase the power of an athlete (Med ball stuff)

3. Creating a more athletic delivery down the mound that incorporates the entire body. (Increasing ankle flexion, lower half drive, stride length, and work through your heel with you back foot instead of your toe)

4. creating a competitive culture where players compete in everything and throwing with intent becomes a badge of honor. (Having contests for who can throw the hardest turn & burn)

Thanks. I knew all that 20 yrs ago. It's not new or rocket science it just works. And it's his attitude and delivery of the message is what makes him good. Pitching is pitching.

I was being sarcastic to the roid comment. I mean really who brings that shit up are we back in 1994. And my arrogant ass doesn't need anyone on this board to explain anything to me about pitching thank you very much.

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2015, 09:05 PM
Thanks. I knew all that 20 yrs ago. It's not new or rocket science it just works. And it's his attitude and delivery of the message is what makes him good. Pitching is pitching.

I was being sarcastic to the roid comment. I mean really who brings that shit up are we back in 1994. And my arrogant ass doesn't need anyone on this board to explain anything to me about pitching thank you very much.

I Seen It,

With all due respect, this stuff is FAR beyond what you knew 20 years ago. This stuff would blow your mind.

Due increases in video technology, track man, bio mechanical research, and research on the movements that successful MLB pitchers make in their delivery, the understanding of the delivery and how to create healthy, hard throwing pitchers has increased dramatically over the past 10 years. This effort was first led by Brent Strom and Ron Wolforth and then Derek Johnson and Wes have begun to carry the flag the for this pitching revolution.

Make no mistake, MSU hired a savant that, along with his buddies have changed the way MLB organizations draft and develop pitchers. Strom built the Cardinals, Derek Johnson is now the pitching coach for the Brewers, Ron Wolforth makes tons of money running his pitching ranch in Texas, and the you have Wes. MSU just hired the most cutting edge, forward thinking college pitching coach in the country. Think of Wes as the Chip Kelly of college pitching coaches and you'll understand what we got.

Shit is about to get real. I don't know how much he can accomplish by the season, but make no mistake, MSU's pitching staff is going to put the world of college baseball on high alert within 2-3 years.

AlSwearengen
11-04-2015, 09:17 PM
Roids? Really?

Joke

I seen it dawg
11-04-2015, 09:57 PM
I Seen It,

With all due respect, this stuff is FAR beyond what you knew 20 years ago. This stuff would blow your mind.

Due increases in video technology, track man, bio mechanical research, and research on the movements that successful MLB pitchers make in their delivery, the understanding of the delivery and how to create healthy, hard throwing pitchers has increased dramatically over the past 10 years. This effort was first led by Brent Strom and Ron Wolforth and then Derek Johnson and Wes have begun to carry the flag the for this pitching revolution.

Make no mistake, MSU hired a savant that, along with his buddies have changed the way MLB organizations draft and develop pitchers. Strom built the Cardinals, Derek Johnson is now the pitching coach for the Brewers, Ron Wolforth makes tons of money running his pitching ranch in Texas, and the you have Wes. MSU just hired the most cutting edge, forward thinking college pitching coach in the country. Think of Wes as the Chip Kelly of college pitching coaches and you'll understand what we got.

Shit is about to get real. I don't know how much he can accomplish by the season, but make no mistake, MSU's pitching staff is going to put the world of college baseball on high alert within 2-3 years.

All those items were being studied and implemented. We just have much more technology and the way we can teach the art of pitching has evolved and advanced because of the access we have to that technology. Respectfully none of this blows my mind. I follow it and have followed it. Listen...pitching mechanics is staying linear and staying that balled up mass of energy until you've stored all you can then unleashing it to the plate. Now that's the simplistic piece of the vast technical things to teach. But it's simply the gist of pitching as far as mechanics go. The rest is how you get there and how much knowledge you can take and teach to guys and have them implement it.

I seen it dawg
11-04-2015, 09:58 PM
Joke

Gotcha. Noted.

Coach34
11-04-2015, 10:20 PM
I Seen It is an SEC-level pitching coach knowledge-wise. He simply chose another profession to enter into.

Daniel Boyd played at State and was an All-SEC level player because of his intelligence and knowledge of the game. But instead of coaching the game he knows so well- Boyd decided to be an orthopedic surgeon. Because he decided to be a surgeon- it doesnt mean he doesnt know how to teach someone to play LB.

Percho
11-05-2015, 08:41 AM
I Seen It is an SEC-level pitching coach knowledge-wise. He simply chose another profession to enter into.

Daniel Boyd played at State and was an All-SEC level player because of his intelligence and knowledge of the game. But instead of coaching the game he knows so well- Boyd decided to be an orthopedic surgeon. Because he decided to be a surgeon- it doesnt mean he doesnt know how to teach someone to play LB.

One of my favorite of all time. He was always in the right place.

Todd4State
11-05-2015, 08:51 AM
I Seen It,

That's why MSU is probably a good fit for Wes. We have the resources to get him what he needs in terms of equipment and technology.

BB30
11-05-2015, 09:03 AM
I doubt the things in the video are all that he will be teaching. He is apparently doing something different that helps his pitchers gain so much velocity. Hopefully not 'roids.

Yes, a pitcher can gain a few mph and I'm sure he will do some things more velocity focused. But, velocity is 95% God given you either have an arm that will allow you to throw a mid 90's FB or you don't. Now there are highschool kids that throw 90 and once they hit the weights that velo shoots up but there is a good chance they would have reached that ceiling at most of the SEC programs.There are also a lot of highschool kids that throw 88 and have for 3-4 years and they won't throw much harder. I think the biggest thing a pitching coach can do velocity wise is spot kids that have a lot of upside and nice easy arm action(obviously). Legs create the drive and explosiveness needed but you have to have a fluid arm and good quick twitch to throw a mid 90's FB otherwise every pitcher you see would be able to throw 95.

RBritt
11-05-2015, 09:25 AM
Boyd signed a hat for me when I was a 5th grader.

bulldogcountry1
11-05-2015, 10:43 AM
Yes, a pitcher can gain a few mph and I'm sure he will do some things more velocity focused. But, velocity is 95% God given you either have an arm that will allow you to throw a mid 90's FB or you don't. Now there are highschool kids that throw 90 and once they hit the weights that velo shoots up but there is a good chance they would have reached that ceiling at most of the SEC programs.There are also a lot of highschool kids that throw 88 and have for 3-4 years and they won't throw much harder. I think the biggest thing a pitching coach can do velocity wise is spot kids that have a lot of upside and nice easy arm action(obviously). Legs create the drive and explosiveness needed but you have to have a fluid arm and good quick twitch to throw a mid 90's FB otherwise every pitcher you see would be able to throw 95.

I've always wondered about this. When you see "little" guys like Pedro Martinez, Trevor Hoffman, and Roy Oswalt throw hard, it's easy to think that 6'4" guys should throw that much harder. It's just not the case. I guess a good coach can evaluate and identify HS pitchers who are leaving something on the table as far as mechanics. You have to expect that all pitchers at the D1 level will be able to throw a little harder just by being in an organized physical training program. The key is that last 5% that a good coach can squeeze out of a player.

BB30
11-05-2015, 11:59 AM
I've always wondered about this. When you see "little" guys like Pedro Martinez, Trevor Hoffman, and Roy Oswalt throw hard, it's easy to think that 6'4" guys should throw that much harder. It's just not the case. I guess a good coach can evaluate and identify HS pitchers who are leaving something on the table as far as mechanics. You have to expect that all pitchers at the D1 level will be able to throw a little harder just by being in an organized physical training program. The key is that last 5% that a good coach can squeeze out of a player.

Yea those "little" guys are extremely athletic and just have it. Played against a guy that was 5' 10" 175 and sat 94-96 routinely running it up to 97-99 for 8 innings. Some guys just throw hard.