PDA

View Full Version : MSU's Prescott named Maxwell, Davey O?Brien semifinalist

DancingRabbit
11-03-2015, 03:49 PM
Gonna be a sad day when he takes his last snap as a Bulldog.

http://www.wtva.com/sports/MSUs_Prescott_named_Maxwell_Davey_OBrien_semifinal ist_.html

For the second straight season, Mississippi State quarterback Dak Prescott has been named a semifinalist for both the Maxwell Award and the Davey O'Brien Award, the National College Football Awards Association announced Monday.

Prescott, a candidate for eight national awards total, was one of 20 players named a semifinalist for the 79th Maxwell Award, presented to the collegiate player of the year. He was also one of 17 players named a semifinalist for the 39th Davey O'Brien Award, given annually to the top quarterback in college football. Last fall, Prescott became the first player in school history to be named a finalist for each award.

The Haughton, Louisiana, native made the cut after tallying 21 total touchdowns and 2,419 yards of total offense in his first eight starts of 2015 (14 passing, 7 rushing). Prescott is 173-of-260 through the air for 2,048 passing yards and just one turnover. On the ground, he has rushed 72 times for a team-high 371 yards and no turnovers.

For his career, the college graduate is the 17th player in FBS history, and the third player in the history of the Southeastern Conference, to register 7,000-plus career passing yards and 2,000-plus career rushing yards. Prescott ranks sixth in league history with 96 touchdowns responsible for and, along with former Heisman Trophy winners Tim Tebow and Johnny Manziel, is the only player in the history of the conference to throw for 50 touchdowns and rush for 30 more.

Last week, Prescott was named the FWAA AutoNation National Offensive Player of the Week, the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback of the Week, the Manning Award Quarterback of the Week and the SEC Offensive Player of the Week.

Starting Nov. 3, fans can vote Dak Prescott as a finalist for the Davey O'Brien Award by visiting www.VoteOBrien.org. Bulldog fans can vote for Prescott as a finalist once daily until 12 p.m. CT on Tuesday, Nov. 24.

Three finalists for each award will be announced Tuesday, Nov. 24. The winner of both the Maxwell Award and the Davey O'Brien Award will be announced as part of the Home Depot College Football Awards Show, which will be broadcast on ESPN on Dec. 10 from the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta.

Prescott and the No. 24 Bulldogs return to action Thursday at Missouri for an 8 p.m. kickoff live on ESPN.

DAK PRESCOTT HONORS

Heisman Trophy Candidate
Maxwell Award Semifinalist
Davey O'Brien Award Semifinalist
Walter Camp Player of the Year Award Watch List
Manning Award Watch List
Wuerffel Trophy Watch List
Senior Bowl Watch List
Senior CLASS Award Candidate
Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award Watch List
FWAA AutoNation National Offensive Player of the Week (vs. Kentucky)
Davey O'Brien Quarterback of the Week (vs. Kentucky)
Manning Award Quarterback of the Week (vs. Kentucky)
SEC Offensive Player of the Week (vs. Kentucky)

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING ABOUT DAK PRESCOTT

"Dak Prescott is in a league of his own." - Ian Simon, Missouri Safety

"In the world of quarterbacks, if he's not the best one in the country he's at the top." - Barry Odom, Missouri Defensive Coordinator

"That is a very good football team with an exceptional quarterback and how anybody is not talking about that guy in the Heisman race, you need to have your head examined. He is a terrific ball player with a lot of poise and a lot of good weapons." - Mark Stoops, Kentucky Head Coach

"Put him on the Heisman Trophy charts this week. Come on gang." - Brent Musburger, SEC Network

"If Dak Prescott is not on your Heisman watch list, he should be. I was one of those who picked the Bulldogs to finish in the cellar. Those of us who did that forgot that Prescott has the ability to put a team on his back and carry them. As long as Prescott's healthy, the Bulldogs have a chance in every single game." - Tony Barnhart, SEC Network

"Dak Prescott does not get enough national credit for efficiency and how much he's improved seeing the field and making decisions." - Mike Farrell, Rivals.com

"He's still one of the greatest quarterbacks ever to play in the SEC, and you can make the argument that though he might not be running as much, he's a better passer this year than he was last year. Let's not forget about Prescott. He's still one of the SEC's best." - Greg Ostendorf, ESPN

"He is just a difference making quarterback." - Skip Holtz, Louisiana Tech Head Coach

"I think he looks as in control as any quarterback in the conference. He's throwing the ball much better and more accurate than he did last year." - David Greene, SEC Network

"I think the biggest compliment you can ever give a guy is would you want a guy on your team. He's just a class act and a great guy to be around. When he's on the field he just exudes confidence. The team feeds off that. He's not going to be intimidated; he's been on big stages. And he's a good player." - Kevin Sumlin, Texas A&M Head Coach

"Pressure doesn't really phase him. He's a tough guy, he's got an unbelievable arm. He looks like an NFL quarterback. He kind of reminds me of Donovan McNabb, built the same, very speedy, the ball comes out really fast and really hot. He makes good decisions, he doesn't panic." - Northwestern State head coach Jay Thomas

"He is as good of a college quarterback as there is." - Les Miles, LSU Head Coach

"He's a heck of a quarterback, a Heisman candidate. Dak's not one to brag on himself. He's done a heck of a lot at Mississippi State turning that program around." - Brandon Harris, LSU Quarterback

"The best quarterback in the SEC." - Paul Finebaum, SEC Network

"The bar has been raised for what's possible for Mississippi State football, and Prescott represents the new era." - Zac Ellis, Sports Illustrated

"The clear-cut best quarterback in the conference calls Starkville home base. Dak Prescott is a Heisman Trophy contender." - Eric Bolin, Arkansas News Bureau

"Mississippi State has the best player at the most important position." - Michael Bonner, Clarion-Ledger

"From a PR standpoint, he's a dream come true. He has the look, he has the game, he has the talk, and he has the right attitude - he's what you want the face of the franchise to be." - Pete Fiutak, CampusInsiders.com

"Every interaction with him is always a benefit. I learn something every time we speak. People don't realize the benefit I get from having a role model like Dak - on and off the field. It's awesome." J.D. Almond, Northwestern State Quarterback

SCHOOL RECORDS HELD BY DAK PRESCOTT (36)

Single-Game (7)

Touchdowns Responsible - 6 (2015 vs. Kentucky)
Touchdown Passes - 4 (twice in 2014)
Total Offense - 500 (2014 Orange Bowl vs. Georgia Tech)
Plays - 70 (2014 at Alabama)
Consecutive Attempts Without an Interception - 52 (2015 vs. LSU)
Completion Percentage - (.769, 20-26; 2014 vs. Texas A&M; minimum 20 att.)
Completions - 33 (2014 Orange Bowl vs. Georgia Tech)

Single-Season (15)

Rushing Yards by a QB - 986 (2014)
Total Offense - 4,435 (2014)
Total Offense Yards Per Game - 341.2 (2014)
Touchdowns Responsible For - 41 (2014)
Passing Attempts - 396 (2014)
Passing Completions - 244 (2014)
Completion Percentage - .616 (2014)
Passing Yards - 3,449 (2014)
Passing Yards Per Game - 265.3 (2014)
200-Yard Passing Games - 12 (2014)
300-Yard Passing Games - 3 (2015)
Passing Touchdowns - 27 (2014)
Passing Efficiency - 151.7 (2014)
Consecutive Attempts Without an Interception - 239 (2015)
Consecutive Games with a Touchdown Pass - 13 (2014)

Career (14)

Total Offense - 9,933
Touchdowns Responsible - 96 (6th in SEC history)
Plays - 1,400
Passing Attempts - 952
Completions - 591
Completion Percentage - .621 (15th in SEC history)
Consecutive Attempts Without an Interception - 288 (third in SEC history)
Passing Touchdowns - 55
Passing Yards - 7,631
200-Yard Passing Games - 24
300-Yard Passing Games - 5
Passing Efficiency - 144.5 (12th in SEC history)
Interception Percentage - .0199
Rushing Yards by a Quarterback - 2,304 (third in SEC history)

MetEdDawg
11-03-2015, 04:00 PM
He should be a finalist but I bet he won't be. It will be Boykin, Lynch, and Cook I think. There's no denying how much Dak has done for us though. He's the most impactful player we've ever had and shown what can happen when you get the perfect player in the right system in the right environment. If anyone is ever able to equal his impact or hell, even surpass it, they would have to be one special player because that will be tough to do.

Dawg61
11-03-2015, 04:06 PM
All-Time favorite for all of us.

Coach 57
11-03-2015, 04:15 PM
It just seems like yesterday that me and a buddy went to the Gator Bowl practices. And came back after seeing some signs he was going to be special. But it wasn't until the night scrimmage in 2010 at DWS when Relf, Chris White, KJ etc etc got to sit out and coach these kids. It was team Tyler Vs team Dak. And that's when I knew, he was absolutely going to be the best EVER! It wasn't really necessarily him, it was how the guys gravitated towards him that peaked my attention. But I left KNOWING (barring injury) he would be THE guy, a franchise type of player that MSU as a university could hang their hat on as an absssador. I'll miss that kid!

starkvegasdawg
11-03-2015, 04:16 PM
Not bad for a RB.***

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-03-2015, 04:39 PM
I got a feeling he has one more big moment left in him that will leave a mark with bulldogs from years to come.