PDA

View Full Version : Is Dan SEC coach of the year?

Leroy Jenkins
11-03-2015, 02:36 PM
pre-season media said MSU is 13th in conference, only ahead of Vandy. Right?

Political Hack
11-03-2015, 02:38 PM
Good point, but botching the LSU game doesn't ode well. If he wins 3 of the next 4, then possibly. However, I think Go Gatas' has the coach of the year right now.

Jarius
11-03-2015, 02:42 PM
I'm sure the narrative will change postseason. It is really a crime that some of these idiots get paid to give analysis. This year, having the best qb in the conference was no big deal and wouldn't matter. Next year, when we return most of our starters, losing Dak will be crippling and we have no chance according to the media. It's a never ending cycle. We are stuck in that Missouri mode where no matter how much success you have, people are always going to doubt you because people like Yancy Porter who don't know shit about evaluating talent say that we don't sign good players.

HoopsDawg
11-03-2015, 02:45 PM

need to wait until after the season. As of now, definitely not. All we have done is beat UK and @AU.

Coach34
11-03-2015, 02:55 PM

if he finishes 10-2...yes. We are just 2-2 in the SEC right now. 4 big games coming up

starkvegasdawg
11-03-2015, 03:36 PM
if he finishes 10-2...yes. We are just 2-2 in the SEC right now. 4 big games coming up

Where do you put the odds of finishing 10-2? I just have a hard time thinking we win out. Not saying we can't or don't have the talent to win out, I just don't think we will. Alabama will be a monumental task to win and we always seem to find some way to lose in Arkansas. I'm hoping we go 8-4 and fingers crossed for 9-3. I'd feel a lot better if we could figure out how to play defense in the first quarter. We don't need to keep spotting teams the lead every week. I'm thinking that we have only scored first against Troy, Northwestern State, and Auburn. So we're 3-0 when we score first and 3-2 when we don't.

Bubb Rubb
11-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Where do you put the odds of finishing 10-2? I just have a hard time thinking we win out. Not saying we can't or don't have the talent to win out, I just don't think we will. Alabama will be a monumental task to win and we always seem to find some way to lose in Arkansas. I'm hoping we go 8-4 and fingers crossed for 9-3. I'd feel a lot better if we could figure out how to play defense in the first quarter. We don't need to keep spotting teams the lead every week. I'm thinking that we have only scored first against Troy, Northwestern State, and Auburn. So we're 3-0 when we score first and 3-2 when we don't.

I think we have a real shot against Alabama, but we can't get off to a slow start. The real danger at that point is playing in Fayetteville the next week.

thunderclap
11-03-2015, 03:42 PM
There is a month left. A big month.

MadDawg
11-03-2015, 03:45 PM
So we're 3-0 when we score first and 3-2 when we don't.

You are using the wrong metric.

We are 6-0 when we score a TD in the first quarter.

We are 0-2 when we don't.

basedog
11-03-2015, 03:51 PM
Good point, but botching the LSU game doesn't ode well. If he wins 3 of the next 4, then possibly. However, I think Go Gatas' has the coach of the year right now.

One thing we will never know, if Mullen or Dak call TO before the delay of the game, would the FG been good. Just saying.

starkvegasdawg
11-03-2015, 03:52 PM
You are using the wrong metric.

We are 6-0 when we score a TD in the first quarter.

We are 0-2 when we don't.

Obscure movie reference rebutal.

http://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.M892176958935995488ff179fb037cfb1o2&pid=15.1

AusTexDawg
11-03-2015, 03:59 PM
At this point, it's probably Jim McElwain's award to lose. Even if most of Florida's problems were related to former Coach Boom, Florida's turnaround has been impressive and they should win the East. Of course, that should change if State goes 10-2 (**knock on wood**).

dickiedawg
11-03-2015, 04:05 PM
It's definitely McElwain's to lose at this point.
If they were to lose a couple more games, Les Miles is next in line at this point.

Jarius
11-03-2015, 04:05 PM
Vegas has our odds of winning out at 5 %.

DancingRabbit
11-03-2015, 04:23 PM

https://ownershipwrites.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/lloyd-300x300.jpg

Dawgtini
11-03-2015, 04:31 PM

So they're saying there's a chance!

Coach34
11-03-2015, 04:41 PM
Gonna be tough- but it's doable. Bama is the huge hurdle obviously. We get 2 extra days to get ready to play- and the crowd will be nuts. Time for us to get a big win. It's on us to make it happen.

TrapGame
11-03-2015, 04:52 PM
If we win out and Dak plays like a top 3 Heisman candidate, then yes I think Dan should be in the discussion for COTY. But, it would still be hard to beat McElwain after what he's done in year one.

sandwolf
11-03-2015, 05:05 PM

Well, that's higher than I would have guessed.

blacklistedbully
11-03-2015, 06:11 PM

Do you not think we are a better team than Mizzou? UPig? UNM? I think we are better than all 3, and I think Bama is up & down with a shaky QB. They struggled like hell at home vs UT, and I think we're a better team than UT. Now we get these guys at home with them coming off a huge battle with LSU. On top of that, we get 2 extra days of rest/prep to get ready.

I know winning all 4 looks daunting, but if we look at them one-at-a-time, I REALLY like our chances.

People, we are gonna put an ass-whooping on Mizzou, and come Saturday night, may find ourselves 1 game back with a game at home vs Bama that gives us a chance to move ahead of them in most-likely tie-breakers.

A lot of you sweat UPig becuase we have mostly struggled at Arky. But we beat UPig last time at their place. Every other time they were simply a better team than we were. Don't think that's the case this year. Also, it seems to me UPig is more equipped defensively to stop run-heavy teams rather than prolific passers. They have not seen a QB this year of Dak's caliber. Dan is now 3-3 vs UPig, having won the last 3. The last one we lost to UPig, they ended up #5 in the country. They are not that UPig, and we are not that MSU!

Take a close look at each of the match-ups we have going forward and tell me why we shouldn't expect, at the minimum, a damn good chance to win each one. You don't think we can beat Bama in Starkvegas? Why not? We can't beat UPIg at their place? Why not?

starkvegasdawg
11-03-2015, 06:56 PM
We were better than LSU and A& M this year, too.

HSVDawg
11-03-2015, 07:13 PM
Do you not think we are a better team than Mizzou? UPig? UNM? I think we are better than all 3, and I think Bama is up & down with a shaky QB. They struggled like hell at home vs UT, and I think we're a better team than UT. Now we get these guys at home with them coming off a huge battle with LSU.

I think a lot of people are skeptical because we've already dropped 2 games to teams we should have beaten. Yes, I think we are a better team than Mizzou, UPig, and OM. However, I also think we are a better team than A&M, and I still am not sold on LSU and think we are even with them at worst at least right now (we'll see how they do in T-town). However, we still lost to both teams. I absolutely think we can win out, but it's certainly not the most likely result.

SDDawg
11-04-2015, 01:27 AM

Correct. Right now it's McElwain, but November could change all of that.

Schultzy
11-04-2015, 07:56 AM

no/yes

blacklistedbully
11-04-2015, 10:26 AM

We were closely matched with LSU. I suspect Dan has learned by now that Bell is not the answer for FG's, so let's not project that kind of mistake going forward.

TAMU was playing better pre-Bama. We were not playing well that game, with critical t/o's.

When analyzing our chances going forward, I think it makes more sense to not assume we will trot Bell out for a FG attempt, and not lose t/o battles. I also think we will continue to see more effective Dak attack, as we did vs UK.