PDA

View Full Version : So the Gunner Kiel deal is picking up steam...,

CadaverDawg
04-03-2013, 11:32 PM
I hate to start a story that's on another board....but several are saying our good buddy Rosebowl is reporting that MSU and Ole Miss are in his final 3. Not sure how that shit happens, but I have fallen for my last Steve Robertson lie. I am completely calling bullshit on him saying that Kiel has visited us and we are in his final 3. He also said that Kiel wants to "play for a team with a Senior QB", according to shotgundawg.

I didn't look to see if there was a long thread already on this, so feel free to lock it if need be.....but I wanted to get you guys' thoughts on Kiel, where he's going, and how he would help us IF somehow we got him to Starkville.

msstate7
04-03-2013, 11:36 PM
We should have gotten him to visit the spring game. How you like that depth chart, gunner?

Coach34
04-03-2013, 11:40 PM
I havent heard anything. Looking at our depth chart- it would be hard for him not to have us in his final two.

msstate7
04-03-2013, 11:45 PM
If Dan can pull this off, he'd make up for some very shaky qb recruiting. Kiel was top qb in country year ago.

dawgoneyall
04-03-2013, 11:49 PM
Wonder what the Colonel Club thinks?

BeastMan
04-03-2013, 11:49 PM
If depth chart is his deal, then we should be in good shape. At this point I'm treating it as too good to be true

msstate7
04-03-2013, 11:55 PM
If depth chart is his deal, then we should be in good shape. At this point I'm treating it as too good to be true

He'll probably decide by picking a hat. #screwedagain

Will James
04-03-2013, 11:59 PM
I'll take him as Dak's backup. Hopefully Cord shows up and we wouldn't ever need him. Keeping him out of LaFAYette County would be worth it.

msstate7
04-04-2013, 12:05 AM
We're installing some under center this spring and now going after another pro style qb. Is Dan having a change of offensive philosophy?

DiligenceDawg
04-04-2013, 12:51 AM
I'd take him in a heartbeat but I will have to see this to believe it. NEVER hurts to add someone with his potential. If Dak and or Cord can make him ride the bench then all the better but get him in Starkville first then we'll find out.

WutheringDawg
04-04-2013, 03:05 AM
and mississippi state will be getting another new message board

MitchD24
04-04-2013, 06:25 AM
I've got a couple of good sources down in Starkville but haven't heard anything about already visiting.. Now if he is intrested in us and going by what kinda program he is looking I think we're a very good candidate. What I don't get is how OM got in the picture? But then again he did have that fifth star coming out of high school so it kinda makes sense for OM to go after him.

Quaoarsking
04-04-2013, 06:39 AM
Consensus #1 QB recruit in the country for 2012? Obviously we take him in a heartbeat if we can. If Dak beats him out, even better.

MitchD24
04-04-2013, 07:00 AM
It's no question we take him.. Just changes the offense back up again. If you want consistency then you have to figure out which kind of offense you want to run and stick with it and we haven't done that

Dawgface
04-04-2013, 07:18 AM
If we get him, it will be the first time a high profile football player has transferred to us. I'll believe it when I see it.

601Dawg
04-04-2013, 07:32 AM
I'll take him as Dak's backup. Hopefully Cord shows up and we wouldn't ever need him. Keeping him out of LaFAYette County would be worth it.

Will do you realize how talented of a QB Kiel is??? Watch some of his highlights from HS
Dak is a solid QB but I'm not so sure he beats out Kiel as easy as you think.

RTO Dawg
04-04-2013, 07:34 AM
Kiel want cross the mississippi line>>>Tennessee it is........

AlSwearengen
04-04-2013, 07:59 AM
If Kiel has a big hat choosing production that is preceded by a huge buildup similar to a big movie release, then he is choosing the rebels.

fishwater99
04-04-2013, 09:13 AM
I hope so, maybe Dan is growing as a coach and realizes that the true spread offense is not going to work with TR at QB.
If we don't put TR under center and use a FB, then we will be lucky to win 6 games next year.

Does anyone know how mobile of a QB Kiel is?

jumbo
04-04-2013, 09:15 AM
I hope so, maybe Dan is growing as a coach and realizes that the true spread offense is not going to work with TR at QB.
If we don't put TR under center and use a FB, then we will be lucky to win 6 games next year.

From what I've seen, which admittedly is not very much, he is slightly more mobile than Tyler is

Coach34
04-04-2013, 09:22 AM

If he is considering us and OM- he has to be a little mobile

Spider-Man
04-04-2013, 09:52 AM
I don't want us setting this sort of precedent. I imagine it could/would piss off Dak. He could transfer, Cord could go pro baseball, and we are stuck with another QB who doesn't fit our offensive philosophy. I understand he is a great talent. Just don't like the message it sends to our current QBs.

engie
04-04-2013, 10:15 AM
I don't want us setting this sort of precedent. I imagine it could/would piss off Dak. He could transfer, Cord could go pro baseball, and we are stuck with another QB who doesn't fit our offensive philosophy. I understand he is a great talent. Just don't like the message it sends to our current QBs.

Jesus H man. WHAT current QB's? There is Dak. That is it.

We've got 2 scholarship QBs -- one of which is a senior. I'm failing to see how this should "piss off Dak" when guys were ALREADY brought in in the classes directly above and below him, yet they transferred away from MSU? It didn't piss him off that they were here in the first place, did it? So how is it different to refill those roles? If it hurts his feelings enough to force a transfer of a 4th yr JR with an imminent starting job, he was NEVER going to be any good in the SEC anyway.

We were going to probably need a JUCO to bridge the gap anyway. This does the same job...with a unanimous 5*.

FlabLoser
04-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Dak - might not be able to play this year, might not ever bee the same again
Cord - could play baseball instead of football

We need multiple solid, dependable options. Not two uncertain options even if those uncertain options have good upside.

Spider-Man
04-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Jesus H man. WHAT current QB's? There is Dak. That is it.

We've got 2 scholarship QBs -- one of which is a senior. I'm failing to see how this should "piss off Dak" when guys were ALREADY brought in in the classes directly above and below him, yet they transferred away from MSU? It didn't piss him off that they were here in the first place, did it? So how is it different to refill those roles? If it hurts his feelings enough to force a transfer of a 4th yr JR with an imminent starting job, he was NEVER going to be any good in the SEC anyway.

We were going to probably need a JUCO to bridge the gap anyway. This does the same job...with a unanimous 5*.

Bringing in people below him in class shouldn't piss him off. Bringing in a unanimous 5* who will be eligible to play the year after Russell is departing, could upset him. If it happens, great. The kid is an amazing talent, it just reminds me of Coach O bringing in Brent Schaeffer. I trust Mullen if he wants the guy.

Coach34
04-04-2013, 10:33 AM
Dak's supposed to be fine by the end of the month....no real concerns about his injury

But if we can get Kiel- you take him...pretty simple...competition just makes the position better

MitchD24
04-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Dak is not gonna transfer.. From what I've been told he's only tried to transfer once to be closer to his mom but she told him the best place for him to be is exactly where he's at.

Coach34
04-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Dak is not gonna transfer.. From what I've been told he's only tried to transfer once to be closer to his mom but she told him the best place for him to be is exactly where he's at.

This is 100%....he thought about transferring to McNeese because Momma was sick- Momma would have none of it.

engie
04-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Bringing in people below him in class shouldn't piss him off. Bringing in a unanimous 5* who will be eligible to play the year after Russell is departing, could upset him. If it happens, great. The kid is an amazing talent, it just reminds me of Coach O bringing in Brent Schaeffer. I trust Mullen if he wants the guy.

Again, if he was that scared of competition against a guy that Everett Golson just ran out of South Bend, he wouldn't have what it takes to be a star SEC QB like everyone is hoping he can be. It's pretty simple really.

This is filling Scheussler's role with a better talent -- nothing more or less. We need options -- and this gives them to us...

MitchD24
04-04-2013, 11:07 AM
I don't know of many people that knew that Coach.. Wonder if we're getting info from the same guy ha

FlabLoser
04-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Kiel is a BALLER

Coach34
04-04-2013, 11:16 AM
I don't know of many people that knew that Coach.. Wonder if we're getting info from the same guy ha

:cool:

ckDOG
04-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Get this kid on the roster ASAP. I'd take a former 3 star QB transfer at this point. We need another body. It's good that it sounds like Dak is rehabbing well, but the fact he is rehabbing and our other future QB is a baseball possibility, we need someone else besides the last second QB commit to ease our minds. There's no question we should do all we can to get someone as talented as Keil on campus. If he's a bust, oh well, at least we gave it a shot. If Dak beats him out, even better.

Political Hack
04-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Lots of people knew he was considering transferring, but he never "tried" that I'm aware of. I think he was considering it, and the timing of it would have been horrendous going into next year. In retrospect TR stayed healthy, so we would've been ok in the end, but wpuldve entered next year in a very precarious position with TR #1 and a potential MLB player as our #2.

We need more QBs on campus. We need the competition to push them. If we can get GK, it'll be a great balance going into 2014. Two upper class men with experience and two RS Frosh.

MitchD24
04-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Just to be clear. If GK does does come to State he will classified as a RS freshman right?

Spider-Man
04-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Just to be clear. If GK does does come to State he will classified as a RS freshman right?

I believe you're right. That means when he is eligible in 2014, he'll be a RS Sophomore. I assume he redshirted this season.

MitchD24
04-04-2013, 01:12 PM
If that's the case then you give Dak the reins in 2014.. Give GK a couple of snaps throughout the year to get his feet wet but really hammer him during practices.. Get him use to our receiving core, get their timing down and in 2015 he's ready to go.. If Sandburg makes it to campus well then we have a really great problem on our hands haha

HereComesTheSpiral
04-04-2013, 01:27 PM
If Kiel somehow ends up at State and Cord decides to not go MLB, I believe Cord will drop football and play baseball at State. Realistically in my opinion, if we get Kiel, Cord doesn't think twice and goes straight to baseball. But I guess getting one is better than not getting either one.

FISHDAWG
04-04-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm not yet convinced that Keil is the better QB just because of stars ... I think Cord has pretty good size and may even be a better fit for Mullen ...I would still go after the guy but I don't think he gives us much consideration

engie
04-04-2013, 01:48 PM
If Kiel somehow ends up at State and Cord decides to not go MLB, I believe Cord will drop football and play baseball at State. Realistically in my opinion, if we get Kiel, Cord doesn't think twice and goes straight to baseball. But I guess getting one is better than not getting either one.

Again, if a guy is willing to "give up" prior to any form of a QB competition, we do NOT need them as QB at MSU PERIOD. I see no reason that Kiel should have ANY bearing on Cord Sandberg's decisions. You really trying to tell me that Cord is going to concede his position as future QB of MSU to a guy he's never been in the same room with?

Cord would get 1/3 the scholarship money if he focused solely on baseball -- and if he was going to do that, why not go to Miami, Florida, or Florida St -- the local baseball powerhouses near home?

This "we are MSU -- we're getting screwed somehow" mentality is beyond ridiculous when we're a final option for the NUMBER ONE qb in the class of 2012 -- AND it's a good chance that Tebow-lite is here in the summer...

HereComesTheSpiral
04-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Again, if a guy is willing to "give up" prior to any form of a QB competition, we do NOT need them as QB at MSU PERIOD. I see no reason that Kiel should have ANY bearing on Cord Sandberg's decisions. You really trying to tell me that Cord is going to concede his position as future QB of MSU to a guy he's never been in the same room with?

Cord would get 1/3 the scholarship money if he focused solely on baseball -- and if he was going to do that, why not go to Miami, Florida, or Florida St -- the local baseball powerhouses near home?

This "we are MSU -- we're getting screwed somehow" mentality is beyond ridiculous when we're a final option for the NUMBER ONE qb in the class of 2012 -- AND it's a good chance that Tebow-lite is here in the summer...

I'm not trying to say he's just going to give up in the hypothetical case Kiel comes here. I'm saying there is guaranteed money sitting there in baseball and question marks around football. He can always come back and play football like several others have done.

engie
04-04-2013, 02:13 PM
I'm not trying to say he's just going to give up in the hypothetical case Kiel comes here. I'm saying there is guaranteed money sitting there in baseball and question marks around football. He can always come back and play football like several others have done.

Not if he comes to college first. That starts his clock in all sports. Only way he'd be able to come back and play college football would be to go pro in baseball out of highschool...

HereComesTheSpiral
04-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Not if he comes to college first. That starts his clock in all sports. Only way he'd be able to come back and play college football would be to go pro in baseball out of highschool...

I was referring to Cord going to play pro baseball after high school.

mic
04-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Kiel if he comes here will have ZERO effect on the decision on Cord to go pro in baseball or not... I would love to have Cord Dak and Keil batteling it out to see who starts.. Our fans kill me.. Most negative fans in the country.. No matter what out coaching staff tries to do its not a good decision. If Keil comes he will make Dak upset and transfer if Keil comes Cord will choose pro baseball and not come here.. Then the same ones bitch cause CDM cant get a QB..
do i agree with all CDm and his staff does NO and yes we need to step up recruiting and get big time players here.. well here is the NUMBER ONE QB in the country just 2 years.. if he comes here and flames out so be it.. but its pretty good recruiting tool to use when u go tell a big time WR who his Qb may be..

CadaverDawg
04-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Kiel if he comes here will have ZERO effect on the decision on Cord to go pro in baseball or not... I would love to have Cord Dak and Keil batteling it out to see who starts.. Our fans kill me.. Most negative fans in the country.. No matter what out coaching staff tries to do its not a good decision. If Keil comes he will make Dak upset and transfer if Keil comes Cord will choose pro baseball and not come here.. Then the same ones bitch cause CDM cant get a QB..
do i agree with all CDm and his staff does NO and yes we need to step up recruiting and get big time players here.. well here is the NUMBER ONE QB in the country just 2 years.. if he comes here and flames out so be it.. but its pretty good recruiting tool to use when u go tell a big time WR who his Qb may be..

http://www.gifsoup.com/view4/1446012/well-done-o.gif

batDAWGrilla
04-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Hell I want them all here. Competition at the position is what could turn one of them from a good/great QB here to a G.O.A.T. here.

Todd4State
04-04-2013, 03:41 PM
The more I think about it, the more I like bringing him in. If Dak decides he wants to be closer to his mom after this year, all of a sudden we are going to be starting either Cord or Damien Williams as RS Fr. QB with probably another true freshman in the mix. Having a RS freshman at QB in the SEC is a recipe for disaster usually and it likely means a 6-6 at best season.

If Dak stays, the competition between the two will likely make both better- thus making US better.

I think engie is right- if we don't get Kiel, we're probably going to have to go find a JUCO QB anyway.

PMDawg
04-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Top QB in the country, yet he couldn't beat out either of two very average QBs at ND last year. Not saying I wouldn't take him, because I would, but my expectations would be very tempered if he ends up here.

Requiem For A Dawg
04-04-2013, 04:35 PM
Top QB in the country, yet he couldn't beat out either of two very average QBs at ND last year. Not saying I wouldn't take him, because I would, but my expectations would be very tempered if he ends up here.

And Cam Newton's freshman year he was behind John Brantley.

Political Hack
04-04-2013, 04:56 PM
He be in at least year 3 before he's eligible to play, so that's RS Soph at minimum.

PMDawg
04-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Fair enough.

Todd4State
04-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Well, now Rosebowl is now saying that Gunner Kiel hasn't visited MSU, but a visit is likely in the cards.

CadaverDawg
04-04-2013, 11:09 PM
Well, now Rosebowl is now saying that Gunner Kiel hasn't visited MSU, but a visit is likely in the cards.

Haha. Rosebowl gonna Rosebowl.

His sources must be a janitor and a lunch lady.

msstate7
04-04-2013, 11:24 PM
Hope he visits for spring game. #noqb's

sbcmortgageman
04-05-2013, 05:10 AM
Do we know when he is planning on making his decision by? Also, my thoughts are that high tide raises all ships. A little competition hurt no one.

MitchD24
04-05-2013, 06:41 AM
I've heard he's gonna be visiting pretty soon.. He wants to make a decision by may if I remember correctly