PDA

View Full Version : New GM mid size trucks

Joe Schmedlap
11-01-2015, 09:25 PM
Canyon and Colorado...anyone have one and care to comment on them? I may be in the market next spring for a mid size truck and will look at the Toyota Tacoma vs the new GM offerings.

Treemydawg
11-01-2015, 09:53 PM
I have no clue about the new GM models, but I do own a 4-wheel drive Tacoma and its the best truck I've ever owned. I have owned used and abused just about all makes and the Tacoma is hands down the toughest of them all. I have owned 4 different GM models ( nothing newer than 06 model) and every one had to have the front hubs replaced after deer season every year at $480 a hub. GM may have worked the kinks out in their auto locking hubs by now but from my experiences I will never own another GM model. I think Toyota is the way to go.

SpeckleDawg
11-02-2015, 09:46 AM
My thing is the prices on mid size trucks these days are really high. MPG really isn't much different now either. I went from a 2006 silverado to a 2013 silverado and have had almost no issues with either. That said, my 99 tacoma was probably the toughest truck I've ever had or will have. I just need more room than a tacoma can offer. The new canyons/colorados look almost like a full size truck when you pass one on the road. It's amazing how much larger the cabs on all trucks have gotten lately.

BeastMan
11-02-2015, 12:58 PM
I have a 4 door Tacoma with the V6 tow package. It can do anything I need it to do. I got out a little under 30 brand new. Would love the full size 4 door but it's hard to justify 40-50k. The new GMC offerings look good. I'd test drive one for sure but the Tacoma is tried and true.

Joe Schmedlap
11-02-2015, 01:29 PM
I have a 4 door Tacoma with the V6 tow package. It can do anything I need it to do. I got out a little under 30 brand new. Would love the full size 4 door but it's hard to justify 40-50k. The new GMC offerings look good. I'd test drive one for sure but the Tacoma is tried and true.

Thanks for the opinion. The Tacoma is certainly tried and true, but supposedly "slightly" upgraded for 2016. The new GM trucks are supposed to be smoother, roomier, and more comfortable, but I am curious about their toughness and quality.
Full size trucks are priced in the 50's and even 60's which is crazy. I hope to find something in the low to maybe mid 30's.

BeastMan
11-02-2015, 03:34 PM
Talked to a guy that does business with me today and asked about the Colorados. Now I'm sure I got the sales pitch but he claims the biggest advantage is superior fuel economy. He says the Colorado is making a strong run at Tacoma's lock on the midsize market and has all but decimated Nissan midsize sales.

Treemydawg
11-02-2015, 07:34 PM

I own the same truck. I was a little worried about the space with two kids, but its not an issue. I absolutely love mine and intend on keeping it until the wheels fall off.

SapperDawg
11-02-2015, 08:17 PM
I own the same truck. I was a little worried about the space with two kids, but its not an issue. I absolutely love mine and intend on keeping it until the wheels fall off.

I have the same truck, and have had it for four years now. Only issue I have is my daughter is still in her toddler seat, and that limits leg room for the passenger up front. Once she gets out of that, though, there will be no issues with space.

I will likely upgrade from the 2WD to a 4WD V6 on the next round, and that will be one I drive the wheels off.

Treemydawg
11-02-2015, 08:52 PM
I have the same truck, and have had it for four years now. Only issue I have is my daughter is still in her toddler seat, and that limits leg room for the passenger up front. Once she gets out of that, though, there will be no issues with space.

I will likely upgrade from the 2WD to a 4WD V6 on the next round, and that will be one I drive the wheels off.

I have owned one 2wd truck in my life and it was one too many.