PDA

View Full Version : Please lets put this to bed NOW

Dawg61
11-01-2015, 02:22 PM
Mike Slive before he retired put it in that no SEC schools would poach other SEC schools head coaches unless they have been fired or resigned. Mullen WILL NOT BE THE NEXT HEAD COACH AT GEORGIA!! Thank you Slive.

Blackout
11-01-2015, 02:24 PM
or resigned.

Pinto
11-01-2015, 02:26 PM
That's Freeze's dream job or at least that was told when Florida went after him last year.

Dawg61
11-01-2015, 02:28 PM

Mullen can't resign and then immediately take the UGA job. It has to be a forced resignation. In that scenario UGA would be poaching our head coach and that's no longer allowed thanks to Slive.

Charlie_Sheen420
11-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Mike Slive before he retired put it in that no SEC schools would poach other SEC schools head coaches unless they have been fired or resigned. Mullen WILL NOT BE THE NEXT HEAD COACH AT GEORGIA!! Thank you Slive.

I want believe you, but I would like to see it written as an SEC regulation somewhere. I still believe if a coach wanted to leave bad enough for another sec job it could happen...

CadaverDawg
11-01-2015, 02:37 PM
I want believe you, but I would like to see it written as an SEC regulation somewhere. I still believe if a coach wanted to leave bad enough for another sec job it could happen...

Exactly. They can't tell you you can't take a job for more money. They can discourage it, but they can't keep Georgia from offering, nor can they keep Mullen/Freeze whoever from accepting.

Dawg61
11-01-2015, 02:41 PM

When is the last time it happened? Tubberville? It's extremely frowned upon. Slive mentioned it many times. It weakens the SEC if head coaches get poached by other SEC members.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-01-2015, 02:45 PM
Mullen has a pretty good gig where he is. 4 mil per year at a school with a historically poor record of accomplishments on the gridiron. He's made it through the tough part of the rebuilding job. A lot of coaches don't make it to year 7. Especially when at a historically good program. Texas immediately comes to mind. I don't see Charlie Strong making it to year 7. Not to mention Bielema, Sumlin and Malzahn in our own conference. They certainly have the resources to succeed, but time will tell Butch Jones better keep improving himself.

The only thing that will take Mullen away is if he is just hellbent on vying for a national championship. And before you say he can do that here, there are a lot of places that provide a lot smoother road to a championship than at MSU. That's just being realistic. UCS is one of those. The only reason I don't think he'll end up there is the style of offense I believe they want to run. They may not care about that, but historically they have run a pro style offense which I don't see Mullen running. Georgia is also an easier place to win a championship.

Hopefully the aforementioned comments of not poaching from other teams is a reality and we won't have to worry about it.

Dawg61
11-01-2015, 02:46 PM
Exactly. They can't tell you you can't take a job for more money. They can discourage it, but they can't keep Georgia from offering, nor can they keep Mullen/Freeze whoever from accepting.

The SEC isn't stupid. If a member decides to go against the grain they will be ostracized for it and if it's in writing they will face stiff penalties probably resulting in forfeiting a shit ton of money. It won't happen. Mullen isn't Saban. UGA won't put themselves in timeout while everyone else enjoys the pizza party just to hire Mullen. Saban yes. Mullen no.

basedog
11-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Meg Mullen likes the grocery stores at Stark Vegas, so do her parents.

Coach34
11-01-2015, 02:56 PM

While true- it doesnt mean the new Commish will enforce that unwritten rule

CadaverDawg
11-01-2015, 03:04 PM
The SEC isn't stupid. If a member decides to go against the grain they will be ostracized for it and if it's in writing they will face stiff penalties probably resulting in forfeiting a shit ton of money. It won't happen. Mullen isn't Saban. UGA won't put themselves in timeout while everyone else enjoys the pizza party just to hire Mullen. Saban yes. Mullen no.

I agree. Doubt it will happen. Just saying I don't think it's impossible.

My big fear is that Mullen knows he's done great things and is losing Dak...so rather than risk wearing out his welcome & getting impatient fans frustrated over the next season or two...he could strike while his stock is high and get a huge payday and chance at an easier road to a Championship.

Hopefully he thinks he can win one here, because I feel like he knows we can pay him and he has pretty awesome job security

MafiaDawg
11-01-2015, 03:07 PM
Sankey worked under Slive for years. I would think that they saw eye to eye on this type of thing. It's pretty clear that It does hurt the leagues rep if coaches left within the conference.

BrunswickDawg
11-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Georgia is also an easier place to win a championship.
If this is true, then why does UGA not have more than 1 NC in the modern era of college football, 1 baseball NC, and nothing else other than gymnastics and tennis??? GT has as many modern NC's as UGA.

The reality is it isn't any easier at UGA then it is anywhere else, especially now. The playing field is far more level and far more competitive then ever.

CadaverDawg
11-01-2015, 03:28 PM
If this is true, then why does UGA not have more than 1 NC in the modern era of college football, 1 baseball NC, and nothing else other than gymnastics and tennis??? GT has as many modern NC's as UGA.

The reality is it isn't any easier at UGA then it is anywhere else, especially now. The playing field is far more level and far more competitive then ever.

Because Richt does less with more. It's easier to win a NC at UGA than MSU without question. UGA is in the East, and has several recruiting advantages over us.

MafiaDawg
11-01-2015, 03:31 PM
It's clear that Tennessee and Florida are on the ups. The path isn't as easy as it once looked.

Charlie_Sheen420
11-01-2015, 03:36 PM
It's clear that Tennessee and Florida are on the ups. The path isn't as easy as it once looked.

Which is why everyone is upset with Richt, he had a window to own the east and wasted it, he let Mizzou take it hahaha! Now Tenn and UF are coming back, and if USCjr makes a good hire they may cause some difficulty as well. Richt absolutely wasted key chances to own an easy east

Count Istvan Teleky
11-01-2015, 03:46 PM
That's Freeze's dream job or at least that was told when Florida went after him last year.

Florida supposedly went after Freeze last year ... So where was the Slive rule then? Did it come afterwards?

Coach34
11-01-2015, 03:59 PM
Florida didnt offer Freezus anything

CadaverDawg
11-01-2015, 04:02 PM
Florida didnt offer Freezus anything

This^

Freeze & his agent played Ross "Short Man Syndrome" Bjork like a fiddle

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-01-2015, 05:52 PM
Because Richt does less with more. It's easier to win a NC at UGA than MSU without question. UGA is in the East, and has several recruiting advantages over us.

Thanks Cadaver....point I was making.

Brunswick....You're correct in your assessment, which shows how hard it is to win one at MSU.

HSVDawg
11-01-2015, 07:51 PM
The SEC isn't stupid. If a member decides to go against the grain they will be ostracized for it and if it's in writing they will face stiff penalties probably resulting in forfeiting a shit ton of money.

Pretty much none of that is true. There is nothing and never will be anything in writing because the schools that stand to take advantage of it one day potentially would never agree to it. So the commish might write some university president or athletic director a strongly worded letter....so what? If it reignites a failing program its the smallest of small prices to pay. Completely irrelevant.

TUSK
11-01-2015, 08:38 PM
I think it pretty much depends on "what's best for the conference"... for example, if Vandy had a badass coach and one of the big six was sucking hind teat, I think they'd look the other way because it'd likely help the conference as a whole...

we're all in this together, you see....

BiscuitEater
11-01-2015, 08:53 PM
Florida supposedly went after Freeze last year ... So where was the Slive rule then? Did it come afterwards?

Hey, believe that and I got a bridge you will really like. Without the 'network' and the $$ behind it .. Bucky is a girls HS basketball coach. No more .. no less.

Homedawg
11-01-2015, 08:53 PM
I'm sorry this is just wrong in so many ways......
But Mullen very well might not be the next uga head coach. Who knows what they want. But this sec isn't going to stop it.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-01-2015, 09:08 PM
Hawaii may be a bigger threat. They just fired their coach. Let's see, Mullen has pocketed roughly what 18 mil since he's been here. Hell, Maegan may be ready to sit on the beach for a while. I think they could get by from here on out without wanting much.

Political Hack
11-01-2015, 09:11 PM
Tennessee came after CDM after his first year at State. Slice stopped it. Don't know if it's a written rule, put into contracts by every school, or just something Slive took an active role in stopping, but it hasn't happened in a long, long time. I have a feeling most SEC HC contracts have a non-compete with other SEC schools. they do it for players transferring out. not sure why they wouldn't do it for coaches too.

Either way, if UGA wants him, have at it. I'll take Richt.

sandwolf
11-01-2015, 09:47 PM

You'd take Richt over Mullen?

Dawgowar
11-01-2015, 10:58 PM
I think it pretty much depends on "what's best for the conference"... for example, if Vandy had a badass coach and one of the big six was sucking hind teat, I think they'd look the other way because it'd likely help the conference as a whole...

we're all in this together, you see....

Like when Kentucky stole Bill Curry from you guys?

TUSK
11-01-2015, 11:03 PM
Like when Kentucky stole Bill Curry from you guys?

Yep, that's exactly what happened*...

Curry was a smart cat, he cashed in his chips while he still had some cred/before he got runt oft...

Bammer's a coaching "graveyard"/retirement gig...

Dawgowar
11-01-2015, 11:12 PM
Yep, that's exactly what happened*...

Curry was a smart cat, he cashed in his chips while he still had some cred/before he got runt oft...

Bammer's a coaching "graveyard"/retirement gig...

So true. I think it was the Adolph Rupp Pez dispenser they threw in that got him to pursue excellence in the Bluegrass state.

TUSK
11-01-2015, 11:14 PM
So true. I think it was the Adolph Rupp Pez dispenser they threw in that got him to pursue excellence in the Bluegrass state.

that and tickets to the Derby....

ok, DOW, gonna test your Bammer football knowledge....

What was Bill Curry's Favorite "go to" buzzword?

Bothrops
11-01-2015, 11:26 PM
Richt got fired, or announced his retirement?

BrunswickDawg
11-02-2015, 08:37 AM

So that is what went through the window of the Curry home, I always thought it was a brick from an angry Gump.

Johnson85
11-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Tennessee came after CDM after his first year at State. Slice stopped it. Don't know if it's a written rule, put into contracts by every school, or just something Slive took an active role in stopping, but it hasn't happened in a long, long time. I have a feeling most SEC HC contracts have a non-compete with other SEC schools. they do it for players transferring out. not sure why they wouldn't do it for coaches too.

I can almost guarantee that's it's not a written rule (I'm thinking that wouldn't even be legal; I'm not sure how that's any different from what the Research triangle schools were accused of with professors).

To the extent it's an unwritten rule, it's only enforceable to the extent the commissioner has the juice to persuade schools to follow it. Slive did. Not sure if the new commissioner will or not. I suspect being at another SEC schools would be a tie breaker for most schools, but that the schools with the juice to poach another SEC coach will ultimately do it if they feel strongly that it's their best candidate.

As far as schools putting more strict buyout terms for coaches leaving for other SEC schools, you'd think that would be a no brainer, but the way Bjork got worked, UM obviously didn't do that with Freeze and they certainly had the bargaining power to do it with their first negotiation with him. But that may just be the same incompetence that allowed him to get worked by Sexton over the UF "offer" showing up in the initial negotiations.

I'd be interested to see if we have anything like that with Mullen. When we first hired him, I could see Byrne thinking we didn't have the juice to require that, and even though the job became more attractive for subsequent negotiations, Mullen also became much more attractive.

I would not want Richt. I think Rick is a good coach and would be a fairly "safe" pick. He could probably keep any SEC team other than Vandy in bowl games consistently, but I can't imagine he'd have any major success at another program, even if going to a new school rejuvenated him and he returned to his peak.

Dawg61
11-02-2015, 01:23 PM
I'm sorry this is just wrong in so many ways......
But Mullen very well might not be the next uga head coach. Who knows what they want. But this sec isn't going to stop it.

Really genius so how many sec head coaches have been poached in the last fifteen years by sec schools?

HSVDawg
11-02-2015, 01:43 PM
Tennessee came after CDM after his first year at State. Slice stopped it.

Stopped it how? Made a phone call with a polite request to not hire Mullen? Wrote a letter? Threatened to have them play at 11 AM every weekend? There's nothing Slive formally could have done to hurt UT financially or otherwise for hiring Mullen. If UT wanted Mullen to be the coach there and Mullen wanted to go there, thats where he'd be. Any university president or AD who would put the conference commisioner's request over the well being of their university and employer won't last very long in this league. That's also the first I've heard of any Mullen to UT talk ever, BTW.

Coach34
11-02-2015, 02:08 PM
Stopped it how? Made a phone call with a polite request to not hire Mullen? Wrote a letter? Threatened to have them play at 11 AM every weekend? There's nothing Slive formally could have done to hurt UT financially or otherwise for hiring Mullen. If UT wanted Mullen to be the coach there and Mullen wanted to go there, thats where he'd be. Any university president or AD who would put the conference commisioner's request over the well being of their university and employer won't last very long in this league. That's also the first I've heard of any Mullen to UT talk ever, BTW.

SEC school has to get permission to contact another coach- Slive said no.

Johnson85
11-02-2015, 02:13 PM
Stopped it how? Made a phone call with a polite request to not hire Mullen? Wrote a letter? Threatened to have them play at 11 AM every weekend? There's nothing Slive formally could have done to hurt UT financially or otherwise for hiring Mullen.

All of this is exactly right.

If UT wanted Mullen to be the coach there and Mullen wanted to go there, thats where he'd be. Any university president or AD who would put the conference commisioner's request over the well being of their university and employer won't last very long in this league.

All of this is more or less wrong. Norms are more powerful than you'd expect in associations like the SEC and associations where member/participants only feel constrained by the written rules do not remain associations for long. If Vandy has a coach that for one reason or another is widely believed to be the next Saban or Meyer and there's not really a comparable candidate out there, any SEC AD that can would go after him regardless of any blowback from other conference members. But that doesn't mean a real or perceived unwritten rule wouldn't carry a lot of weight.

Political Hack
11-02-2015, 03:30 PM

I'm not speculating. I'm telling you what happened.

Dawgowar
11-03-2015, 07:45 PM
What was Bill Curry's Favorite "go to" buzzword?

'Charecter', Coach Lombardi', or 'Quality'????