PDA

View Full Version : Football is going to shit.

Treemydawg
10-31-2015, 09:31 PM
Tenn. player just got ejected for targeting when he hit a player in the chest with his shoulder. Why are people trying to pussify the game ? Hell we lived for those kind of hits when I played the game.

TUSK
10-31-2015, 09:33 PM
Tenn. player just got ejected for targeting when he hit a player in the chest with his shoulder. Why are people trying to pussify the game ? Hell we lived for those kind of hits when I played the game.

It's not just football, Treemy...

"Now you damn hipster treehuggin' trannies GTF off my lawn!"

Treemydawg
10-31-2015, 09:36 PM
It's not just football, Treemy...

"Now you damn hipster treehuggin' trannies GTF off my lawn!"

Dang Tusk I'm not that old brother. I'm barely into my 30's

TUSK
10-31-2015, 09:45 PM
Dang Tusk I'm not that old brother. I'm barely into my 30's

It was a joke... I doubt you meet ANY of the adjectives in my post, buddy....

I picture you as more of an "old school" type cat, though....

War Machine Dawg
10-31-2015, 09:52 PM
Yeah, then that assclown Danielson went on a 5 minute rant about how he thinks those blocks should be eliminated from the game. Looked like a hell of a block to me. It's the UGA player's fault for not keeping his head on a swivel.

Treemydawg
10-31-2015, 10:00 PM
Yeah, then that assclown Danielson went on a 5 minute rant about how he thinks those blocks should be eliminated from the game. Looked like a hell of a block to me. It's the UGA player's fault for not keeping his head on a swivel.

Yeah that ejection was bull butter too.

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2015, 10:38 PM
I think you guys are a bunch of meat heads. I have no issue with the game being made safer & think it's ridiculous that people don't see it that way

TUSK
10-31-2015, 10:44 PM
I think you guys are a bunch of meat heads. I have no issue with the game being made safer & think it's ridiculous that people don't see it that way

I don't think anyone here wants football to be "unsafe", per se...

But the trend to remove a lot of the physicality from a physical sport seems contradictory... to me, anyway...

Dawgface
10-31-2015, 10:45 PM
Let's go all in and convert to flag football. ;)

Treemydawg
10-31-2015, 10:54 PM

Think it's ridiculous all you want. I'm in favor of player safety and the targeting rule, but the two ejections mentioned in this thread were not targeting by the rules we have now. There was no helmet to helmet contact on either hit and neither player was defenseless. They were both good hard clean hits in my opinion and what football is all about, get out there and knock somebody's dick in the dirt as hard as you can. If this leads you to believe I'm a meat head it leads me to believe you are a pu$$y. Just go do more stuff like the Fredo QB commit high school game threads if hard hitting football is not your cup of tea.

Cabo32
10-31-2015, 10:57 PM
There's a billion dollar lawsuit going on right now in the NFL...there's your answer

ckDOG
10-31-2015, 10:59 PM
I'm okay with the targeting rules and general attitude towards eliminating head to head contact. That said, that was a horseshit call. Good block leading with shoulder to the shoulder. How do you tell that kid to make that play differently? You can't. There are dozens of routine head to head hits in the game that do more damage than what he was ejected for.

KennyPowers2
10-31-2015, 11:01 PM

I think you are a ***** that is 6'4" tall and played in the band throughout high school when you should have been helping your school out on the field. Football has done nothing but got safer but there has to be a time to stop all the crying and fear of a contact sport. The players are well protected and should be allowed to use their talents to knock the others guy out.

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2015, 11:05 PM
You REALLY want to cut down on concussions? Take the helmet off. More specifically take the face mask off. There will be more broken noses and lost teeth, but concussions will be reduced dramatically.

Cabo32
10-31-2015, 11:19 PM
You REALLY want to cut down on concussions? Take the helmet off. More specifically take the face mask off. There will be more broken noses and lost teeth, but concussions will be reduced dramatically.

Take the helmet off? It would be similar to rugby..where there's a higher percentage of brain and paralyzing injuries

Treemydawg
10-31-2015, 11:22 PM

I think I'll have some of what ^^^^ is smoking***

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2015, 11:26 PM
I think you are a ***** that is 6'4" tall and played in the band throughout high school when you should have been helping your school out on the field. Football has done nothing but got safer but there has to be a time to stop all the crying and fear of a contact sport. The players are well protected and should be allowed to use their talents to knock the others guy out.

You nailed it

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2015, 11:26 PM
Really? I wasn't aware there was a higher % of those type injuries in rugby. I just have an uncle who played for Bull Sullivan back in the day. That's his take on it and has been for a long time. I'm sure football was more namby pamby under the Bull than it is now.******

drummerdawg
10-31-2015, 11:36 PM
Take the helmet off? It would be similar to rugby..where there's a higher percentage of brain and paralyzing injuries

Speaking of rugby, how do they not have all these rules? I watched a match today and those guys weren't wearing headgear or pads at all and were knocking the crap out of each other. After the game a rugby player was being interviewed with a gash on his head, black eyes , and looked like hell. How are they able to get away with it while football enforces these rules when their players are already more protected by pads? I want to watch more rugby now.

Treemydawg
10-31-2015, 11:36 PM
Bull Sullivan was a mans man. A mean rough and tough SOB from what I understand from the old men and family members that played for him. I wonder what shotgun would think of some of the stories I have heard from some of these men about the practices ole Bull use to have and put his players through.

Dawg61
11-01-2015, 02:01 AM
The problem with football is the helmets and shoulder pads but mainly the helmet. It's a weapon. It's basically a very light bowling ball traveling around at about 15 mph all over the field. Oh yea and there's twenty two of them flying around everywhere at all times. They need some type of Kevlar padded form fitting helmet or even something as prehistoric as a water helmet or soft clay helmet surrounding the players heads. Something with some give that absorbs the shock but doesn't increase it without any give like the current helmets. Try punching a helmet and see how good your hand feels. The helmets ruin more knees than anything else though. Take one of those at full speed to your knee and you're done.

dawgoneyall
11-01-2015, 02:56 AM
Probably old info for you but here...

http://www.si.com/vault/1984/04/30/630220/the-toughest-coach-there-ever-was

Cabo32
11-01-2015, 06:52 AM
The problem with football is the helmets and shoulder pads but mainly the helmet. It's a weapon. It's basically a very light bowling ball traveling around at about 15 mph all over the field. Oh yea and there's twenty two of them flying around everywhere at all times. They need some type of Kevlar padded form fitting helmet or even something as prehistoric as a water helmet or soft clay helmet surrounding the players heads. Something with some give that absorbs the shock but doesn't increase it without any give like the current helmets. Try punching a helmet and see how good your hand feels. The helmets ruin more knees than anything else though. Take one of those at full speed to your knee and you're done.

The main problem is what's under the helmet..you've got 230lb guys running 4.4s..there's a lot of damage being done when a 220lb safety and a 200lb receiver collide..

(I used the safety/WR scenario bc that always seems to be the ones that get targeting calls)

archdog
11-01-2015, 09:54 AM
I don't think anyone here wants football to be "unsafe", per se...

But the trend to remove a lot of the physicality from a physical sport seems contradictory... to me, anyway...

Well maybe that guy shouldn't have taken a knockout type cheap shot when you could easily just wrap him up. The point to to stop these type of cheap shots that leads to possible spinal injuries and or death on the football field. The second the play was made, I was saying get that asshole out of the game immediately. When I watched the replay, it was not clear cut "targeting" but it was a cheap shot if I have ever seen one. I love a huge hit just as much as the next guy, but I for one am tired of seeing player's careers cut short from unnecessary hits like these, when there are plenty of necessary hits that lead to injuries that are not avoidable.
Example is Gus Walley. Love him as a bulldog, but at this time he probably should hang up his cleats because his future is at stake. All for some stupid cheap shot in the endzone last week.
I

tireddawg
11-01-2015, 10:54 AM

There is a rule, and that rule has a definition, and by that definition he should not have been ejected. Consistency would be nice.

tcdog70
11-01-2015, 11:24 AM
Not only were there no facemask but the helmets were leather.Bull said facemask hurt your vision . Bull was an innovator , He was air raid before it was cool. He always ran a trick play so the team He was playing next week would spend practice time defending it, but they would then see a different one. He always had a small middle linebacker that was a great tackler , he would blitz Him a lot through gaps His DL would create. He coached Norm Van Brocklin in College.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Yesterday was the first day I was convinced that football won't be around in 30 years. No one is forcing anyone to play. Just ridiculous. The Tennessee call was bad, but this one from the Texas Tech game yesterday was just pathetic.

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/8u8o.mp4

War Machine Dawg
11-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Well maybe that guy shouldn't have taken a knockout type cheap shot when you could easily just wrap him up. The point to to stop these type of cheap shots that leads to possible spinal injuries and or death on the football field. The second the play was made, I was saying get that asshole out of the game immediately. When I watched the replay, it was not clear cut "targeting" but it was a cheap shot if I have ever seen one. I love a huge hit just as much as the next guy, but I for one am tired of seeing player's careers cut short from unnecessary hits like these, when there are plenty of necessary hits that lead to injuries that are not avoidable.
Example is Gus Walley. Love him as a bulldog, but at this time he probably should hang up his cleats because his future is at stake. All for some stupid cheap shot in the endzone last week.
I

You're an idiot. That was a clean, hard football hit. It sucks it happened to one of ours, but that doesn't make it a cheap shot. You probably think all the hits on Toast from the Croom Error were cheap too. Some of you need to stop being pansies. Football is a contact sport. Injuries are going to happen. Unfortunately, the liberal media and trial lawyers have gotten in it, so football is screwed.

Gordon Gekko
11-01-2015, 03:24 PM
I

You pansies are going to ruin football. The Tenn player hit the receiver in the chest with is shoulder. It was a clean hard hit just like the new rules are supposed to be about. No helmet contact. Also, just wrap up? He knocked the ball out. Are safety's just supposed to let them catch the ball and gently put them down instead of knocking the ball loose?

That hit should have resulted in a helmet decal instead of an ejection.

sleepy dawg
11-01-2015, 03:25 PM
The changes we see to the game have much more about increasing offensive scoring than it does to safety. This is evident through all the rule changes in all sports, not just football. The powers that are taking drastic measures to see more scoring, and are changing the rules to make it so. In basketball this year, defenders won't be able to touch the guy with the ball at all. You think the foul calling was over the top last year? It will be way more severe this year.

IMissJack
11-01-2015, 04:21 PM
The changes we see to the game have much more about increasing offensive scoring than it does to safety. This is evident through all the rule changes in all sports, not just football. The powers that are taking drastic measures to see more scoring, and are changing the rules to make it so. In basketball this year, defenders won't be able to touch the guy with the ball at all. You think the foul calling was over the top last year? It will be way more severe this year.

I for one cannot stand to watch most Big 12 games now because it is nothing but 7 on 7 scrimmages most of the time. OSU 70 TT53 yesterday. All games take 4-5 hours to play because of throwing on every play. When the SEC gets to this with the rules changes, I will not watch it. Defense has been hamstrung so that QB's and WR's can score touchdowns.