PDA

View Full Version : SEC coaches

Dawgfan77
10-31-2015, 04:26 PM
Ok can we assume UGA USCE will be open in the east wild card being UK and vandy. Could we see awbarn and Arkansas open in the west

smootness
10-31-2015, 04:29 PM
UGA won't be open this year at least not unless Richt just decides to retire. Vandy won't be open, either, nor will UK.

Arkansas is a remote possibility, though not likely. And Malzahn will still be there next year, no question.

Dawgfan77
10-31-2015, 04:31 PM
UF shutting out UGA and UGA looks like garbage

smootness
10-31-2015, 04:39 PM
UF shutting out UGA and UGA looks like garbage

I realize that, but I'm here in GA, and there just isn't an overwhelming movement to fire him. The administration is still behind him, and the fanbase is starting to get restless, but they're not there yet. He'll be back next here unless he decides otherwise.

HSVDawg
10-31-2015, 04:44 PM
I think Bielema is an under the radar hot seat guy. Arkansas could very well finish 5-7 in year 3 and looking at breaking in a new QB next year. I don't really see him elevating Arkansas from their current position any time soon.

msstate7
10-31-2015, 04:45 PM
I realize that, but I'm here in GA, and there just isn't an overwhelming movement to fire him. The administration is still behind him, and the fanbase is starting to get restless, but they're not there yet. He'll be back next here unless he decides otherwise.

Does Chubb getting hurt get richt essentially a mulligan this year in their fans and administration's eyes? It's really the equivalent of us losing Dak or lsu losing LF

BrunswickDawg
10-31-2015, 04:47 PM
I agree totally. Unless UGA loses out. I will say in 35 years of watching UGA football, this may be the most heartless team I have ever seen them have.

BrunswickDawg
10-31-2015, 04:49 PM
Does Chubb getting hurt get richt essentially a mulligan this year in their fans and administration's eyes? It's really the equivalent of us losing Dak or lsu losing LF
Not in most of their fans eyes. The interesting thing to me is how they hated Bobo so much, and without him the offense has been total garbage all year. Bobo made some bad calls, but offense was never a problem like it is now.

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2015, 04:51 PM
If and when Mullen decides to leave MSU, I want to hire Matt Wells, the head coach at Utah State, ASAP

He's one of the best up and coming coaches in the country.

It's so important that MSU continue to hire good coaches that can develop players.

Quaoarsking
10-31-2015, 05:22 PM
If and when Mullen decides to leave MSU, I want to hire Matt Wells, the head coach at Utah State, ASAP

It's so important that MSU continue to hire good coaches that can develop players.

He'd be worth a look for sure. I'd give Tom Herman (Houston, former Ohio State OC) and Philip Montgomery (Tulsa, former Baylor OC) a call too.

blacklistedbully
10-31-2015, 05:35 PM
He'd be worth a look for sure. I'd give Tom Herman (Houston, former Ohio State OC) and Philip Montgomery (Tulsa, former Baylor OC) a call too.

Let's not forget Justin Fuente, if he hasn't already taken another high-profile job.

dogshiek
10-31-2015, 05:38 PM
Come on guys. Mullen is going be at MSU for a long time.

TrapGame
10-31-2015, 06:18 PM
Between Richt and Gus I'd say Gus has the fire hotter on his seat mainly because his fan base is bat shit crazy. This is year two with a really mediocre team loaded w/ 4* and 5* guys.

BrunswickDawg
10-31-2015, 08:03 PM
I agree totally. Unless UGA loses out. I will say in 35 years of watching UGA football, this may be the most heartless team I have ever seen them have.
May have spoken too soon - even REM members say fire Richt -
Mike Mills - @m_millsey: I have remained a Mark Richt defender for his entire tenure. No longer. UGA is poorly coached, and plays like it. Time for Richt to go. #sad

smootness
10-31-2015, 08:05 PM
May have spoken too soon - even REM members say fire Richt -
Mike Mills - @m_millsey: I have remained a Mark Richt defender for his entire tenure. No longer. UGA is poorly coached, and plays like it. Time for Richt to go. #sad

Haha, I could potentially see Richt witnessing the fan base turning and decide now is the time for him to bow out. But I would be beyond shocked if he is forced out this year.

CadaverDawg
10-31-2015, 08:18 PM
Not me. I think Richt is gone. We keep Dan through this offseason, we may not ever have to worry about him leaving again.

msstate7
10-31-2015, 08:20 PM
Not me. I think Richt is gone. We keep Dan through this offseason, we may not ever have to worry about him leaving again.

I think he should be. Brunswick and smoot are Georgia guys though, so I think they know more than us just looking in

BrunswickDawg
10-31-2015, 08:32 PM
I think he should be. Brunswick and smoot are Georgia guys though, so I think they know more than us just looking in
Most my UGA friends were on the fence going into today. Right now most are too drunk to speak rationally. My golf group who went down to the game today we're all vocal that they knew they would get beaten badly. The problem is they don't know what needs to be done or who they would see being the coach.
They are afraid that Richt is as good as they will ever get and firing him will lead them down the Tennessee path.

UGA is a no win situation. I think we are entering a big age of NFL style parody where keeping a power program on top for long stretches is rare, and you will have 2-3 year spurts followed by 2-3 year downs. UGA missed their window, and they are afraid of what is next.

Homedawg
10-31-2015, 08:37 PM

This. On both counts.

msstate7
10-31-2015, 08:42 PM
If Georgia offers Mullen the job though, I'm not sure he stays. I'm actually a little worried that South Carolina might offer. I don't think they're a better program, but they're in the easy... I mean east and Megan is a golf lover, correct?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-31-2015, 08:44 PM
I think there's a less than 10% chance Richt gets fired.

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2015, 08:57 PM
What makes it difficult for any program to hire Mullen away is that he makes $4 million at Mississippi State & has never been the sexy, big win coach.

I would absolutely agree that Georgia, South Carolina, & Miami would love for Mullen to be their head coach, but the question is if they are willing to pay Mullen $4 million dollars when he has never won anything & struggles just as much Richt in big games.

Because of this, I think the said teams will be looking for someone cheaper or that has one bigger.

If your South Carolina, would you rather pay Mullen $4 mil or pay Fuente or Herman 2 mil?

If your Georgia, would rather do the same as South Carolina or would you rather go after an NFL coach and pay him 4 Mil while keeping the pro style offense?

basedog
10-31-2015, 09:03 PM
Looks like Mark Stoops is headed to the hot seat. They have gotten good pub his first year or so, but they fade faster than any team in the Sec under his coaching.

preachermatt83
10-31-2015, 09:10 PM
If Kentucky misses a bowl Stoops will be gone. Unless something changes quick Richt is gone at UGA. Malzahn will be back next year as well as Beliema.

msstate7
10-31-2015, 09:13 PM
If Kentucky misses a bowl Stoops will be gone. Unless something changes quick Richt is gone at UGA. Malzahn will be back next year as well as Beliema.

Didn't they just extend stoops in the offseason?

basedog
10-31-2015, 09:13 PM
Wasn't there a defensive lineman that picked Kentucky over Ms last year? If so does he play or was it two years ago?

mic
10-31-2015, 09:14 PM

We have the coach if Mulllen leaves.. If Scotty has enough sense to hire him.. And it won't cost us over 4mil...

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2015, 09:15 PM
Wasn't there a defensive lineman that picked Kentucky over Ms last year? If so does he play or was it two years ago?

Yes. That was Zadarius Smith & he is now the starting DE for the Baltimore Ravens

He would have been a great addition to last season's team. Him, Preston Smith, & Ryan Brown would have been ridiculous

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2015, 09:16 PM
We have the coach if Mulllen leaves.. If Scotty has enough sense to hire him.. And it won't cost us over 4mil...

Who?

preachermatt83
10-31-2015, 09:17 PM

Do tell

basedog
10-31-2015, 09:17 PM
Can't see Mullen leaving anytime soon. We have maybe the best young talent he has had, especially at QB.

civildawg
10-31-2015, 09:20 PM
Bet he is talking about HUD

Count Istvan Teleky
10-31-2015, 09:20 PM

You are now thinking of Courtney Miggins.

Title should say Zadarius. M

basedog
10-31-2015, 09:22 PM
You are now thinking of Courtney Miggins.

Title should say Zadarius. M

Is Miggins playing or redshirt?

Mjoelner34
10-31-2015, 09:29 PM
Didn't they just extend stoops in the offseason?

Just looked it up. He is guaranteed $21.45 million through 2019. And if that's not bad enough, they just spent $120 million on their stadium. LOL Every dollar they drop into their black hole of a football program is a dollar they can't spend on basketball. I applaud them for continuing to throw good money after bad.

BrunswickDawg
10-31-2015, 09:30 PM
I think there's a less than 10% chance Richt gets fired.
I think Richt may retire. I really think he may have been planning to do it after 2012 if they had won, but Aaron Murray fell short in the SEC title game and ended their shot. He had sold his lake house and was getting heavy into charity work and rumors were circulating all season about it. But he wanted that title, and with Murray and Gurley coming back he stayed. Then Gurley gets hurt and Keith Marshall gets hurt. So let's try 2014, because that was a bad way to end. And then Gurley gets hurt, but Chubb emerges. So, let's try 2015, and you lose Chubb, and everyone realizes Richt has just been going thru the motions.

It's sad, because Richt is arguably the best coach UGA has ever had.

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2015, 09:32 PM
Can't see Mullen leaving anytime soon. We have maybe the best young talent he has had, especially at QB.

I really want to agree with you. I think MSU has certainly made it enticing for him to stay, but it's hard to know what Mullen truly wants for his life.

Furthermore, when Mullen was hired he mentioned that once a head coach was at a school for 10 years, he lost 25% of the fan base each year.

Does he still fill this way? I don't know, but it seems that Mullen never intended to be in one job for 10 years when he took the MSU job. Next year will be his 8th year, so you never know.

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2015, 09:33 PM
Bet he is talking about HUD

For goodness sakes I hope not. I'm not sure why people are still impressed with Hud. What has he done lately?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-31-2015, 09:34 PM
I think Richt may retire. I really think he may have been planning to do it after 2012 if they had won, but Aaron Murray fell short in the SEC title game and ended their shot. He had sold his lake house and was getting heavy into charity work and rumors were circulating all season about it. But he wanted that title, and with Murray and Gurley coming back he stayed. Then Gurley gets hurt and Keith Marshall gets hurt. So let's try 2014, because that was a bad way to end. And then Gurley gets hurt, but Chubb emerges. So, let's try 2015, and you lose Chubb, and everyone realizes Richt has just been going thru the motions.

It's sad, because Richt is arguably the best coach UGA has ever had.

This is a more probable ending than UGA firing him.

BrunswickDawg
10-31-2015, 09:45 PM
This is a more probable ending than UGA firing him.
Hey Dan, take my advice, you really don't want the UGA job. Their students don't care because Athens is a kick ass town, the boosters meddle A LOT, and the fans are drunken a holes. They all live in the past and pine for Dooley and Herschel. They are OM on steroids.

Stay here and get your statue, your name on the stadium, and be our legend.

Todd4State
11-01-2015, 01:29 AM
Looks like Mark Stoops is headed to the hot seat. They have gotten good pub his first year or so, but they fade faster than any team in the Sec under his coaching.

They have Vandy and Charlotte. They're going to have a blast in Shreveport, and I have no idea why UK fans would put him on the hot seat right now.

Todd4State
11-01-2015, 01:31 AM
For goodness sakes I hope not. I'm not sure why people are still impressed with Hud. What has he done lately?

I think Hud is our fallback no other options plan at this point. With him being sucked into the Ole Miss investigation through his buddy Saunders I highly doubt Hud ever coaches here.

Todd4State
11-01-2015, 01:36 AM
What makes it difficult for any program to hire Mullen away is that he makes $4 million at Mississippi State & has never been the sexy, big win coach.

I would absolutely agree that Georgia, South Carolina, & Miami would love for Mullen to be their head coach, but the question is if they are willing to pay Mullen $4 million dollars when he has never won anything & struggles just as much Richt in big games.

Because of this, I think the said teams will be looking for someone cheaper or that has one bigger.

If your South Carolina, would you rather pay Mullen $4 mil or pay Fuente or Herman 2 mil?

If your Georgia, would rather do the same as South Carolina or would you rather go after an NFL coach and pay him 4 Mil while keeping the pro style offense?

I can not see Dan leaving for South Carolina or Miami. We're just as good of a program as South Carolina or better. Plus, I would suspect that South Carolina will go the "retread" route since they have had success with Holtz and Spurrier in the past. Maybe someone like Butch Davis even though Chip Kelly is going to be the sexy pick as far as retreads go depending on how the Eagles do.

I'm not sure what Miami is going to do- I've heard rumors about Butch Davis there too.

I think Dan would listen to Georgia, but I'm not sure he would do it.

Todd4State
11-01-2015, 01:39 AM
Most my UGA friends were on the fence going into today. Right now most are too drunk to speak rationally. My golf group who went down to the game today we're all vocal that they knew they would get beaten badly. The problem is they don't know what needs to be done or who they would see being the coach.
They are afraid that Richt is as good as they will ever get and firing him will lead them down the Tennessee path.

UGA is a no win situation. I think we are entering a big age of NFL style parody where keeping a power program on top for long stretches is rare, and you will have 2-3 year spurts followed by 2-3 year downs. UGA missed their window, and they are afraid of what is next.

Tennessee's problem isn't that they fired Fulmer. It's that they hired Kiffen and then Dooley.

The reality is UGA and UT are totally different situations.

BrunswickDawg
11-01-2015, 07:28 AM
Tennessee's problem isn't that they fired Fulmer. It's that they hired Kiffen and then Dooley.

The reality is UGA and UT are totally different situations.
Except that UGA has a bad history at replacing coaches - in all sports. You are talking about the school that hired Ray Goff and kept him for 7 years.

And the pressure to get an "UGA guy" will be big, which leaves Smart, Boom, and Bobo. And they all equal Goff 2.0

DownwardDawg
11-01-2015, 08:05 AM
I think Hud is our fallback no other options plan at this point. With him being sucked into the Ole Miss investigation through his buddy Saunders I highly doubt Hud ever coaches here.

^^^This^^^. That ship has sailed.

EngineerDawg
11-01-2015, 08:21 AM
Would dabo be interested in an open Uga job?
would anyone seriously consider Ed o for a vacant sec hc position?
Would kiffen start over again in the sec?
Why would Dan consider another SEC gig?

Just a few of the questions I am pondering.

mic
11-01-2015, 09:01 AM
Who?

He is out west

BulldogDX55
11-01-2015, 09:13 AM
He is out west

Gotta be talking Rich Rod

blacklistedbully
11-01-2015, 09:13 AM

Well let's see:

1) He took a ULL team that had won 9 games only twice from 1902 thru 2010. not since 1970 and won 9 his first 4 seasons (2011-2014)
2) He took a ULL team that had exactly 1 winning season in the previous 15, and won 9 games all 4 years he has been there.
3) He took a ULL team that had never been to a bowl game in their entire history and went all 4 years
4) He won all 4 of those bowl games
5) He won a conference championship in 2013, just their 2nd one in a quarter century
6) Took a N. Bama that had losing records 3 years in-a-row, and after the first year never had another losing season, averaging 11 wins over last 4 ('05-'08)
7) Took that same losing N. Bama squad and won 2 conference championship in 6 years, coming really close to 3 more. His team won another the next year under T. Bowden and have not won as many games since.

Look, I'm not now advocating we take Hud, as we have to see how deeply he is connected to the cheating, and perhaps try to assess how much he benefited from the cheating. But to pretend he is suddenly a crappy coach who has done nothing lately, just because he is sitting at 3-4 and has Saunders on his staff is beyond silly. He has a great chance of matching all 4 of his previous years at ULL.

Like him or not, dismissing him as a coach who has, "done nothing lately" is just wrong.

mic
11-01-2015, 09:18 AM
Gotta be talking Rich Rod

Nope ....

blacklistedbully
11-01-2015, 09:20 AM
Would dabo be interested in an open Uga job?
would anyone seriously consider Ed o for a vacant sec hc position?
Would kiffen start over again in the sec?
Why would Dan consider another SEC gig?

Just a few of the questions I am pondering.

Dan & Megan have a summer home in Georgia.
Dan is great friends with the UGA AD.
UGA is a much higher profile job than MSU.
UGA has a LOT more money.
It is easier to win a SEC division title at UGA.
Athens >>>>Starkville.

We better damn well hope UGA doesn't offer Dan, or we should hope the SEC stops it. It is one of the very few jobs I think Dan would leave us for in a heartbeat.

HancockCountyDog
11-01-2015, 09:24 AM
Nope ....

Why are people so cryptic about potential hires. Seems so silly.

ShotgunDawg
11-01-2015, 09:27 AM
Nope ....

Gotta be Wittingham or Dykes. Dykes coached at La Tech and still recruits MS

mic
11-01-2015, 10:15 AM
Gotta be Wittingham or Dykes. Dykes coached at La Tech and still recruits MS

Well it's not Dykes....
Kyle would take the job tomorrow if it opened up...
And it would be beyond a homerun hire....

blacklistedbully
11-01-2015, 10:33 AM
Hey Dan, take my advice, you really don't want the UGA job. Their students don't care because Athens is a kick ass town, the boosters meddle A LOT, and the fans are drunken a holes. They all live in the past and pine for Dooley and Herschel. They are OM on steroids.

Stay here and get your statue, your name on the stadium, and be our legend.

And Dan, If you are good enough to get the UGA job and keep it by winning at a level they minimally expect, then you are good enough to turn MSU into a consistently better program than UGA, and become a living-legend with the statue, etc.

mic
11-01-2015, 10:50 AM
UGA is the dream job for Freeze.. He has let that slip out...

IMO .. UGA is top 3 gig in SEC... If ur a coach and they want to talk you listen...

Coach34
11-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Well it's not Dykes....
Kyle would take the job tomorrow if it opened up...
And it would be beyond a homerun hire....

It's the Utah coach. And he would absolutely take it. This isnt a guess

Coach34
11-01-2015, 10:57 AM
And Dan, If you are good enough to get the UGA job and keep it by winning at a level they minimally expect, then you are good enough to turn MSU into a consistently better program than UGA, and become a living-legend with the statue, etc.

Freezus and Mullen will both want the Georgia job. No question about it. Only question is who Georgia wants and how the SEC Commish handles it if they want another SEC coach.

BrunswickDawg
11-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Freezus and Mullen will both want the Georgia job. No question about it. Only question is who Georgia wants and how the SEC Commish handles it if they want another SEC coach.
The pressure to keep a traditional offense and get a "UGA man" will be tremendous. Dooley still casts a long shadow over that program

Coach34
11-01-2015, 11:41 AM
The pressure to keep a traditional offense and get a "UGA man" will be tremendous. Dooley still casts a long shadow over that program

Thats going to be hard to do. Times have changed- hell, Richt wasnt a Jawja man.

Bothrops
11-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Richt is from Nebraska I think. There will be a lot of coaching jobs available after this season.

BrunswickDawg
11-01-2015, 11:59 AM
Thats going to be hard to do. Times have changed- hell, Richt wasnt a Jawja man.
And a lot of faithful are still waiting for Herschel Jr. to parachute in and run over a Tennessee linebacker. To me, "UGA man" is more about fitting into the same type O and D and culture than an actual "coaching tree". Richt and Dooley are almost identical in their approaches. Low key guys, under the radar recruiting tactics, pro style O, etc. Mullen would clash philosophically in X's and O's, but fits on recruiting side. But he is no where near measured enough with the press for their cigar guys. "We don't talk about injuries" will rub them real wrong. Freeze is too dirty and open about it to even be considered.

I seen it dawg
11-01-2015, 12:18 PM
Y'all couldn't hold it in any longer. Lol

defiantdog
11-01-2015, 12:19 PM
I think Georgia would go after Kirby Smart as its first candidate if the job became available.

I seen it dawg
11-01-2015, 12:19 PM
Right may just be in the position where it's time to leave. Get a new voice for the program. They ain't ever winning a title with him there.