PDA

View Full Version : Gus and his play calling....

basedog
10-31-2015, 04:04 PM
I realize White is hurt, but the play calling today was terrible. No way Gus is a genius play caller, of course having a great QB helps but there short yardage calls was really bad most of the day.
I have a good friend who is a grad of Au, he has said the whole year they just don't have the talent which is pretty obvious.

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2015, 04:06 PM
I realize White is hurt, but the play calling today was terrible. No way Gus is a genius play caller, of course having a great QB helps but there short yardage calls was really bad most of the day.
I have a good friend who is a grad of Au, he has said the whole year they just don't have the talent which is pretty obvious.

Bo Bounds would disagree with their talent level, even though we can all watch them & see that they have very few play makers

Coach34
10-31-2015, 04:08 PM
His playcalling inside the 10 was awful. Their talent level at WR and DB is awful.

basedog
10-31-2015, 04:08 PM
Bo don't know talent then. Gus is over rated as well, know way I would take him over Mullen.

I seen it dawg
10-31-2015, 04:10 PM
Gus is a glorified high school guy. Finding out he's overmatched and can't run a program.

basedog
10-31-2015, 04:12 PM
Gus is a glorified high school guy. Finding out he's overmatched and can't run a program.

I agree, Auburn will be brutal on him soon.

MSUDawg4Life
10-31-2015, 04:17 PM
I think Gus' offense has also run its course in the SEC. Schools have adjusted to the 'eye candy' and going fast. Beyond that, the offense is fairly simple. Other than a few trick plays here and there he has nothing new.

Matt3467
10-31-2015, 04:23 PM
Gus Malzahn is an offensive genius. He made Chizik look good, and we all see how Auburn went down after Gus left, and when Gus came back they were right back in the NC. I wouldn't call that a coincidence. Auburn is having a transitional year after losing Nick Marshall, and several other good players. Auburn won't stay down long with Gus/Champ. Imagine if we were having the same problems at QB that we're having at RB which is possible next year following Daks departure. I think we have the potential to be really good at QB with Fitz and Staley, but we only have a sample piece, and that's the same thing Auburn had with Jeremy Johnson. It's not so much the coaching in my opinion as it is the players he's working with.

PMDawg
10-31-2015, 04:25 PM
But but but....stars, muschamp, jeremy johnson, heisman.....

Wonder what B Sally has to say these days.

Dawgfan77
10-31-2015, 04:30 PM
Gus Malzahn is an offensive genius. He made Chizik look good, and we all see how Auburn went down after Gus left, and when Gus came back they were right back in the NC. I wouldn't call that a coincidence. Auburn is having a transitional year after losing Nick Marshall, and several other good players. Auburn won't stay down long with Gus/Champ. Imagine if we were having the same problems at QB that we're having at RB which is possible next year following Daks departure. I think we have the potential to be really good at QB with Fitz and Staley, but we only have a sample piece, and that's the same thing Auburn had with Jeremy Johnson. It's not so much the coaching in my opinion as it is the players he's working with.

While your points have some validity we as in MSU won't be picked to win the west and sec next year as Awbarn was this year preseason

Statecoachingblows**
10-31-2015, 04:33 PM
While your points have some validity we as in MSU won't be picked to win the west and sec next year as Awbarn was this year preseason

And that's the kind of thing that kills me. Next year we will just be replacing Dak and hoping to win a few in the eyes of the media.

defiantdog
10-31-2015, 04:36 PM

Genius? An offensive genius would find a way to score more touchdowns in the redZone. I don't buy this genius crap. Auburn is 1-4 in the SEC..... That's not transitional. They have a defense that gives up on plays and lack any leadership on offense. Genius? What?!

Matt3467
10-31-2015, 04:38 PM
I agree with you concerning the obvious bias ESPN and the country have for AU, and basically every other SEC program, except MSU. Anyone with common sense knew that AU was being way overhyped in the preseason with a "heisman candidate" at QB that barely played last season. All that aside though I think it's just a down year and they'll be back. I've watched Gus since his Arkansas days with Houston Nutt and he's too good to be down for long. Once he get's himself a mobile QB that fits his scheme AU will be back to being a threat in the West again.

basedog
10-31-2015, 04:44 PM
Auburn is a bad team, I haven't seen any improvement so they aren't coached up, that goes for the defense also.
Not sure they will win another game.

Original48
10-31-2015, 04:44 PM
@JayWhiteSports: Brett Norsworthy on UM postgame: "AU now with 5 losing SEC seasons in 7 yrs, after Tubberville had 8 straight winning SEC seasons." Auburn appears to be all or nothing.

Bucky Dog
10-31-2015, 04:45 PM
Going for it on fourth and 3 from his own 47 with a 10-3 lead in the second quarter was the dumbest decision of the game!! OM immediately scores to tie the game and should have been up 17-10 at half. IMO that completely lost all the momentum and turned it to OM.

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-31-2015, 04:59 PM
Going for it on fourth and 3 from his own 47 with a 10-3 lead in the second quarter was the dumbest decision of the game!! OM immediately scores to tie the game and should have been up 17-10 at half. IMO that completely lost all the momentum and turned it to OM.

I was screaming at my TV.....NO! NO! NO! on that one. That was a call made in desperation by a coach who is in panic mode at this time. His inexperience showed on that one. And when I say inexperience, I'm talking more in line of being inexperienced in being the underdog.

msstate7
10-31-2015, 05:04 PM
His playcalling inside the 10 was awful. Their talent level at WR and DB is awful.

Fortunately for us, it was awful against us too

Matt3467
10-31-2015, 05:24 PM
Yea that 4th and 3 playcall was suspect but let's not forget when dan tried the fake punt on our side of the field in the 1st qt of the AU game last year.

Todd4State
10-31-2015, 05:37 PM
Yea that 4th and 3 playcall was suspect but let's not forget when dan tried the fake punt on our side of the field in the 1st qt of the AU game last year.

Yeah but the reason no one talks about that is we were in total control of the game and rolling the dice on a kill shot. BIG difference.

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2015, 05:38 PM
Somebody in the game thread nailed it. Gus still thinks he is calling plays for a really good football team.

Todd4State
10-31-2015, 05:39 PM
I will say as much as I complain about Dan, he has outcoached most of his colleagues thus far. Really the only thing Dan needs to improve on is his self confidence in big games and just trust HIS players and HIS system and let it all hang out. IF he consistently did that, he would probably right up there with Saban and people like that.

tcdog70
10-31-2015, 05:48 PM
No TD in three trips inside the five yard line.

justwin
10-31-2015, 05:52 PM

His offense doesn't work w/o a running qb, never will.

I said 8 -4 preseason would be a great year.

Todd4State
10-31-2015, 05:58 PM
His offense doesn't work w/o a running qb, never will.

I said 8 -4 preseason would be a great year.

Gus becomes VERY predictable when he doesn't have a running QB. Definitely agree on that.

basedog
10-31-2015, 06:03 PM
I wonder if J Johnson will transfer after this year?

I seen it dawg
10-31-2015, 08:29 PM

Do we have our first auburn troll on the board? Jesus

Mutt the Hoople
10-31-2015, 09:43 PM
If they had put Jeremy Johnson in the shotgun with Robinson as RB, it'd been very much like Relf and Dixon circa 2009.

HSVDawg
10-31-2015, 10:52 PM
@JayWhiteSports: Brett Norsworthy on UM postgame: "AU now with 5 losing SEC seasons in 7 yrs, after Tubberville had 8 straight winning SEC seasons." Auburn appears to be all or nothing.

I saw the same quote. While I agree with the general gist of it, it was a bit premature. Technically Auburn can win out and still finish 4-4.

Treemydawg
10-31-2015, 11:19 PM
I will say as much as I complain about Dan, he has outcoached most of his colleagues thus far. Really the only thing Dan needs to improve on is his self confidence in big games and just trust HIS players and HIS system and let it all hang out. IF he consistently did that, he would probably right up there with Saban and people like that.

Good post. I agree with this almost 100%. Throw better game management and player personell management in there and I'm at 100%.

KennyPowers2
10-31-2015, 11:30 PM

I couldn't have said it any better myself. I use to be one of those that thought Malzahn was an offensive genius and I am glad to admit that I was wrong. His redzone offense today was terrible. As bad as I hate to say it I was pulling hard for them because my hate for ole miss is much more than my hate for auburn. I use to tolerate auburn before Scam Newton but since then I wish Ill feelings for them. Dan pisses me off a lot but I have to step back and remember that he is not perfect. I am proud of where we come from and where we are now. Dan has done so much good for our school and it is not every day that you see that kind of impact from a coach. A lot of coaches Inherit good programs already so there hill to climb is small colored to what Mullen has done. Gus on the other hand has fell short of expectations. I smile when I say that.