PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Thomas- new football commit?

Todd4State
10-30-2015, 05:52 PM
6'7" 275 TE from ECCC?

What's up with this?

preachermatt83
10-30-2015, 05:53 PM
I watched him play 2 weeks ago. He is every bit that big. A freaking giant and fast. I actually told the guy with me that the kid was SEC caliber.

bulldawg28
10-30-2015, 06:05 PM
Great....Hutcherson is coming on and the coaches see what a weapon a 6'7 manchild can be. I expect our TE's to be our new Qb's best friend next year.

Dallas_Dawg
10-30-2015, 06:28 PM
Baby Gronk

CadaverDawg
10-30-2015, 07:03 PM
Hopefully we get something out of him before 8 games in to his Senior year...otherwise there's no point. This tells me Walley may be done, and we're expecting J.J. to be our only TE next year with experience. Hopefully Dontae Jones and Thomas can be the depth we need next year if Walley isn't here.

And I have no knowledge of Walley being done...just speculating since he's been hurt with head injuries AND we just grabbed a Juco TE. Math tells me there's more to this commit than just TE depth.

engie
10-30-2015, 07:06 PM
Rs'd tackle convert IMO...

CadaverDawg
10-30-2015, 07:09 PM

Interesting. Hadn't thought about that. Could be, good thought. If so, that doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy's about our LT position going forward.

MSUDawg4Life
10-30-2015, 07:12 PM
I'm leaning toward him being a TE.

Walley shouldn't risk his future health if he keeps getting these concussions. It's not worth it.

msstate7
10-30-2015, 07:13 PM
Could be getting ready to use more 2 te sets

CadaverDawg
10-30-2015, 07:14 PM

Another good point

Ifyouonlyknew
10-30-2015, 07:17 PM
May see how well Hutch has developed & want another 1 ready to go next year. Speaking with some folks that really keep up with EC football he's a legit SEC athlete. We'll see where he settles at when he gets on campus.

Dallas_Dawg
10-30-2015, 07:20 PM
I wish Hutch had gotten more opportunities up until recently

engie
10-30-2015, 07:24 PM
Meh -- we've got our left tackle for the length of his possible career...

engie
10-30-2015, 07:25 PM

Takes a wr off the field...

msstate7
10-30-2015, 07:29 PM

Bear probably leaving...

Probably help running game with new qb

Coach34
10-30-2015, 07:40 PM
Can use him as a TE and Johnson some as an H-back

bulldawg28
10-30-2015, 07:51 PM

???????

spiritual_machine2005
10-30-2015, 08:07 PM
That may not be a bad thing. We won't have Dak next year to read defenses and sling it all over the field. I'd expect us to rely more on the run game with our young QBs.

Coach34
10-30-2015, 08:12 PM
That may not be a bad thing. We won't have Dak next year to read defenses and sling it all over the field. I'd expect us to rely more on the run game with our young QBs.

We will still throw 30 passes per game. Hell, Fitz throws a great deep ball as does Staley.

mstatefan91
10-30-2015, 09:30 PM
We will still throw 30 passes per game. Hell, Fitz throws a great deep ball as does Staley.

Warning: way too early speculation.

It will all depend on how they perform against South Carolina. If they throw a few picks, then I expect a heavy dose of read option against LSU the following week with some easy throws to keep LSU honest. Then the pass offense will be worked on during the UMASS and open date weeks before Auburn.

But nothing I've seen from Fitz or Staley so far indicates that they will be turn over machines. QB battle gonna be interesting in the off season. That's for sure.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-30-2015, 09:55 PM

It will all depend on how they perform against South Carolina. If they throw a few picks, then I expect a heavy dose of read option against LSU the following week with some easy throws to keep LSU honest. Then the pass offense will be worked on during the UMASS and open date weeks before Auburn.

But nothing I've seen from Fitz or Staley so far indicates that they will be turn over machines. QB battle gonna be interesting in the off season. That's for sure.

Given Mullen's past with being tentative with young or inexperienced players, don't you think he will rely on the run early in the season regardless or are we past that point in our program where we are one dimensional?

engie
10-30-2015, 09:56 PM
???????

You think he likes a career on the bench?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-30-2015, 09:56 PM

Can't argue their precision on the deep ball, but if either one throws 30 passes a game we will have a losing record next year. We better figure out our run game and fast!

mstatefan91
10-30-2015, 09:57 PM
Given Mullen's past with being tentative with young or inexperienced players, don't you think he will rely on the run early in the season regardless or are we past that point in our program where we are one dimensional?

We haven't had enough QB's since Mullen has gotten here for me to really speculate on that. It is entirely plausible.

engie
10-30-2015, 10:01 PM
Bear probably leaving...

Probably help running game with new qb

Ross probably staying.

Along with all of our other notable WRs

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-30-2015, 10:10 PM
We haven't had enough QB's since Mullen has gotten here for me to really speculate on that. It is entirely plausible.

True on the numbers, but Prescott is a good example. Started as a short yardage or goal line player and evolved into a good to great SEC passer. Are Fitz and Staley progressing at a faster rate than Dak? Don't tease my wool haha.

defiantdog
10-30-2015, 10:11 PM

I really hope not. Thomas has really soft hands for his size. He's built like Antonio Gates. If he can catch on fast, he'll be huge mismatch for the defense.

defiantdog
10-30-2015, 10:14 PM
True on the numbers, but Prescott is a good example. Started as a short yardage or goal line player and evolved into a good to great SEC passer. Are Fitz and Staley progressing at a faster rate than Dak? Don't tease my wool haha.

My biggest concern with Fitz and Staley will be comparing them to Dak's heart and will to make a play. Will they develop into the leadership role that Dak possesses now? We'll see.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-30-2015, 10:17 PM
My biggest concern with Fitz and Staley will be comparing them to Dak's heart and will to make a play. Will they develop into the leadership role that Dak possesses now? We'll see.

Is it a big concern or are you confident? I've got a friend of a friend conversation on Fitz and they say he is legit and Staley oozes confidence every time I see him on the sidelines or in live action. How much of the playbook do they know?

defiantdog
10-30-2015, 10:40 PM
Is it a big concern or are you confident? I've got a friend of a friend conversation on Fitz and they say he is legit and Staley oozes confidence every time I see him on the sidelines or in live action. How much of the playbook do they know?

I'm pretty confident they're going to be our version of the Tom Brady / Drew Henson battle that went down at Michigan.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-30-2015, 11:05 PM
I'm pretty confident they're going to be our version of the Tom Brady / Drew Henson battle that went down at Michigan.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry haha

bulldawg28
10-31-2015, 07:31 AM
You think he likes a career on the bench?

We're not in the business of making TE's tackles a full-time plan. As athletic as he is he's definitely playing at TE. He's a matchup nightmare for defenses.

Jack Lambert
10-31-2015, 08:19 AM

I think this is it. Dan likes what he has seen with the formation and he is throwing more to the TE, he might like having that option.

Dawgfan77
10-31-2015, 08:31 AM
Two points here. 1. Mullen has stated,paraphrasing of course, that ES has the most upside of any QB he has ever recruited Now does he have all the other intangibles it takes to play QB? Don't know. 2. Nicky Fitz has been here through bowl practice of 13 and 14 spring of 14 and 15, and fall camp of 14 & 15. Not to mention extensive game exp in 15 and by the time next season rolls around you can add another bowl, spring and fall practice. He should be well versed in the offense as a RS soph

mic
10-31-2015, 09:50 AM
Good pick up..
Love the idea that Jones might move to the defensive side of the ball.
Plus Gus might be a concussion away from not playing football anymore...
Never have too many Big targets. And I'm sure we will have a couple of de commits or drop 1 or 2...

msstate7
10-31-2015, 06:09 PM
Thomas caught a td in a loss today in juco playoffs. Winning team was northwest behind minshew

Todd4State
10-31-2015, 06:19 PM
Good pick up..
Love the idea that Jones might move to the defensive side of the ball.
Plus Gus might be a concussion away from not playing football anymore...
Never have too many Big targets. And I'm sure we will have a couple of de commits or drop 1 or 2...

I like the pick up too. I was surprised simply because none of the recruiting gurus were talking about him at all. But I think Dan likes to keep everyone in the media on their toes and he always seems to have a surprise like this every year.

Get the best players possible and then figure out where they fit as time goes on.

HoopsDawg
10-31-2015, 06:44 PM
I like the pick up too. I was surprised simply because none of the recruiting gurus were talking about him at all. But I think Dan likes to keep everyone in the media on their toes and he always seems to have a surprise like this every year.

Get the best players possible and then figure out where they fit as time goes on.

Same thing happened with Jung last year, then Paul immediately got him 4 stars somehow.

msstate7
10-31-2015, 06:46 PM
Same thing happened with Jung last year, then Paul immediately got him 4 stars somehow.
Any word on how Jung is progressing?

Rayburn8
10-31-2015, 08:49 PM

That's what everyone said about Jeremy Johnson.

Don't get me wrong they both look great and I think we are set at QB for the next couple years. But everyone needs to slow down because you never know. Jeremy Johnson looked like a Heisman contender in limited time last year.

mic
10-31-2015, 09:18 PM
That's what everyone said about Jeremy Johnson.

Don't get me wrong they both look great and I think we are set at QB for the next couple years. But everyone needs to slow down because you never know. Jeremy Johnson looked like a Heisman contender in limited time last year.

Jeremy Johnson never looked like a Heisman candidate .. That was purely media driven .. Or PR driven from Aub

somebodyshotmypaw
10-31-2015, 10:28 PM
You can use a lot of tight ends.

1. Smaller ones play like a big receiver (Walley and J. Johnson)
2. Need bigger ones for blocking.
3. Sometimes play 2 tight ends.
4. Some jumbo packages have 2 tight ends and an h-back.
5. Size/speed combo good on special teams.
6. We don't recruit a fullback, so sometimes one can be lined up in backfield as lead blocker.

Rufus Warren was moved from tight end to tackle. Daniel Knox and Addison Lawrence were high school tight ends recruited as tackles.

KennyPowers2
10-31-2015, 10:54 PM
Can't argue their precision on the deep ball, but if either one throws 30 passes a game we will have a losing record next year. We better figure out our run game and fast!

This comment makes me wonder if you even watch our games. They are redshirt freshman and look great so far, especially Fitz. I love Dak and will miss him but I feel comfortable going forward with Fitz. Staley is a good candidate as well but Fitz has legs to go with his arm. I would bet that Fitz is pretty smart also.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-31-2015, 11:13 PM
I would bet that Fitz is pretty smart also. You dont think Staley is smart?

KennyPowers2
10-31-2015, 11:39 PM
You dont think Staley is smart?

I have saw more of Fitz than Staley and he seems like he has it together. Staley did also but haven't saw him as much. I wasn't saying that as a knock to Staley, rather a praise of Fitz. Quit trying to stir the pot.