PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting QBs.......

Goat Holder
07-29-2013, 09:44 AM
A lot has been made lately about recruiting QBs, specifically that Ole Miss hasn't had a HS QB since Eli and Spurlock. Let's take a look at what the state of MS actually produces on paper.

MS QB recruits over the past 10 years (that actually projected to play QB, not Jimmy Johns and the like):

2004: Blake Barnes
2005: Wes Beardain
2006: Matthew Malouf, James Patterson
2007: Cannon Smith
2008: Bret Jefcoat, Austin Davis, Dedrick McDonald
2009: Tyler Russell, Chris Garrett, Clayton Moore
2010: Dylan Favre
2011: Maikhail Miller
2012: Anthony Alford, Jeremy Liggins (barely), Forest Williams
2013: Ryan Buchanan, Parker Adamson

That's basically TWO quarterbacks in the last ten years who have made an impact, Austin Davis and Tyler Russell. Perhaps Alford and Buchanan in the future, but I highly doubt either of them make a serious impact. That's insane! Not only does the state not produce QBs in general, but it doesn't even produce dual-threats hardly at all. We haven't really had a seriously true dual-threat recruit since Omarr Conner (thanks Croom/Woody).

I guess I typed all this to show that I believe we're damn near ALWAYS going to have to find our QBs out of state or with transfers and JUCOs. Just sort of an amazing trend to me. Now, to add to this, here is Ole Miss/MSU/USM's QB signees during that time:

2004: Michael Henig (AL), Travis Clark (GA)
2005: Tray Rutland (GA), Ty Evans (TN), Billy Tapp (FL), 4 OOS no-name guys for USM
2006: Brent Schaeffer (JUCO), Michael Herrick (CA), Martevious Young (AL)
2007: Josh Riddell (JUCO), Wes Carroll (FL), Chris Relf (AL), Darin Farris (MS), Randy Hardin (FL)
2008: Nathan Stanley (OK), Chris Wilkes (FL), Austin Davis (MS), Tyson Lee (JUCO)
2009: Tyler Russell (MS), Chris Campbell (TN)
2010: Dylan Favre (MS), Raymond Cotton (MD), Randall Mackey (JUCO), Dominique Sullivan (MS), Arsenio Favor (AL)
2011: Dak Prescott (LA), Maikhail Miller (MS), Zack Stoudt (JUCO), Ricky Lloyd (CA)
2012: Nick Schuessler (GA), Anthony Alford (MS), Bo Wallace (JUCO), Kyle Sloter (GA)
2013: Damian Williams (LA), Ryan Buchanan (MS), Devante Kincaid (TX), Parker Adamson (MS), Nick Mullen (AL)

I look at this list and it just makes me laugh. The bolded guys are the only ones who had at least a fighting chance of playing and contributing something decent. Yes, Henig played but come on. And I'm not judging Williams/Kincaid just yet.

This also shows that there is no rhyme or reason in recruiting QBs. One notable is that 5 JUCO guys at least showed the ABILITY to be decent. High school guys are from everywhere, and all different ratings. But we should note that 4 HS QBs are from out of state, and 2 from MS.

dawg21
07-29-2013, 09:55 AM
QB coaching in High School is behind in MS. But even with better coaching the D1 talent at the QB level is very low. It will get better in time..but not much.

Coach34
07-29-2013, 09:56 AM
that is God-awful and Mississippi HS coaches should be ashamed.

It does make it tough to get QB's when your home state doesnt produce any. Good info Goat

Coach34
07-29-2013, 09:59 AM
QB coaching in High School is behind in MS. But even with better coaching the D1 talent at the QB level is very low. It will get better in time..but not much.

Mississippi has plenty of talented kids that could be D-1 QB's. But they either play baseball or are not being developed because their coach runs the wing-T or the I and throws 8-9 passes per game

ckDOG
07-29-2013, 10:01 AM
There's no telling how much potential was wasted over the years by offenses that have 5 plays in their playbook and 4 of them are run.

SignalToNoise
07-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Was discussing this with a friend the other day and we arrived at the same conclusion, but we didn't go as far as to look up info like you did. Solid post, Goat.

War Machine Dawg
07-29-2013, 10:08 AM
This is just proof of what I said in a post a week or so ago. To maximize our chances of sustained success, we've GOT to work with MS HS coaches at increasing the level of sophistication of the offenses. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to produce polished talent at QB & WR the way AL, GA, LA, and FL do. We might not be able to produce them in the same numbers, but there's no excuse for not producing at least 1-3 capable DI QBs every year. They just aren't being put in a situation to develop prior to college and are essentially running remedial offenses.

FlabLoser
07-29-2013, 10:18 AM
We've got to do for football what Ron Polk did for baseball. Ron Polk built baseball in our state. He got high school coaches involved and I understand that book of his made an impact.

Coach34
07-29-2013, 10:18 AM
This is just proof of what I said in a post a week or so ago. To maximize our chances of sustained success, we've GOT to work with MS HS coaches at increasing the level of sophistication of the offenses.

But we already do that and have been for years. State and OM hold clinics with speakers each Spring, as well as making their own staffs available to coaches for questions. And I'm sure they are available at other times as well. There is just too much of the old school mindset still in the ranks unwilling to put the time in to change- not to mention they worry about job security if the change doesnt work.

WeWonItAll(Most)
07-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Mississippi has plenty of talented kids that could be D-1 QB's. But they either play baseball or are not being developed because their coach runs the wing-T or the I and throws 8-9 passes per game

You just described Northwest Rankin perfectly. They aren't just losing QB's, they're losing all sorts of players who would play baseball and football but quit football to just play baseball (or transferred to other schools) simply because the coaching is so awful at football. Pitiful coaching, tons of talent.

CadaverDawg
07-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Great info Goat.

I will say this though, we could have possibly had several more QB's from Ms that were successful had we had a spread option attack earlier. To be honest, MSU and OM should have been the first spread teams in college football because there was hardly ever a decent passing QB in the state.

We have always had great athletes at QB in this state, but many of them were overlooked because at the time everyone wanted a passing QB. Our state can produce dual threats every year. And once we start proving that those guys can come to MSU and lead our team, we will see better production in my opinion.

But yes, it's on the high school coaches that weren't running ANY passing plays or developing QB's in the past.....but it was also MSU and OM's fault for not adapting to that and running the spread earlier. MSU did the best job by utilizing the power run game since our state produces such great OLinemen and RB's...but any MS team trying to run an air raid attack has to recruit both QB's AND WR's from out of state for the most part.

Just my opinion on it. I think the offense we will be getting back to next year will be a perfect fit for our talent base, and I can't wait. Mullen should be able to lock in some big time OL talent, and I would think dual threats and RB's will definitely want to be a part of that offense. That's why I think the best success at MSU will be achieved with a great run game.

dawg21
07-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Its not just offense based, its the QB coaching that's the main problem. A lot of coaches try to run spread but don't have a clue what they are doing....and the QB suffers the most from it.

Todd4State
07-29-2013, 12:39 PM
You just described Northwest Rankin perfectly. They aren't just losing QB's, they're losing all sorts of players who would play baseball and football but quit football to just play baseball (or transferred to other schools) simply because the coaching is so awful at football. Pitiful coaching, tons of talent.

Well, Northwest Rankin has had issues that are kind of unfortunate and a little bit crazy with their coach having to leave amidst the drug issues and then with one of their best players having to transfer out. They could and should be pretty good every year though.

Todd4State
07-29-2013, 12:44 PM
But we already do that and have been for years. State and OM hold clinics with speakers each Spring, as well as making their own staffs available to coaches for questions. And I'm sure they are available at other times as well. There is just too much of the old school mindset still in the ranks unwilling to put the time in to change- not to mention they worry about job security if the change doesnt work.

I know this is one small example, but Bobby Hall is going to run more of a spread at Madison Central next year.

I think Hoover beating South Panola like they did with the spread was one of the best things to have ever happened for Mississippi football when we look back ten years from now.

Would you say practice time is an issue as well? Do other states get longer to practice?

Also, I think not allowing guys to start playing football until they are seventh grade hurt as well.

WeWonItAll(Most)
07-29-2013, 01:32 PM
Well, Northwest Rankin has had issues that are kind of unfortunate and a little bit crazy with their coach having to leave amidst the drug issues and then with one of their best players having to transfer out. They could and should be pretty good every year though.
No, they are going to be really bad this year. They realistically might only win 3 games this year. They've had tons of good players quit or leave this year.

It is unfortunate what happened to the old coach. But NWR literally had every high school coach in the state knocking on their door to be the coach. Even South Panola's coach. And they settle with this guy.

Goat Holder
07-29-2013, 01:42 PM
We have always had great athletes at QB in this state, but many of them were overlooked because at the time everyone wanted a passing QB. Our state can produce dual threats every year.

I thought so too until I looked up that stuff. You'd have thought that even the overlooked guys would have went somewhere and contributed something. But they just haven't. I'd love to think that Omarr Conner types come around often, but they really don't - he was the last one. His talent was undeniable and could not be held down, no matter the coach. You may put Anthony Alford or Jeremy Liggins in that group, but at this point they don't look to be good enough athletes. Maybe Jimmy Johns could have been utilized by Mullen. Which leads to my next point....

MSU did the best job by utilizing the power run game since our state produces such great OLinemen and RB's...but any MS team trying to run an air raid attack has to recruit both QB's AND WR's from out of state for the most part.

I think a run-based spread is the best option for a MS college team. Basically exactly like Mullen wants to run. Like you said, MS produces talent that can run the ball effectively. But everybody runs the ball, so you add the spread to offset talent deficiencies.

But what I've come to see is that even with running an offense suited to our talents, we STILL have to get our QBs elsewhere. That's what we've always missed. Ole Miss gets a Manning/Snead, they win games. Their season last year was just about ALL on Bo Wallace. MSU has managed to win 10 games with everything else we needed EXCEPT a QB. It's the missing piece, and always has been. In 2010, if we'd plugged in the missing piece (certain JUCO QB), we'd have a BCS trophy.

War Machine Dawg
07-29-2013, 01:45 PM
No, they are going to be really bad this year. They realistically might only win 3 games this year. They've had tons of good players quit or leave this year.

It is unfortunate what happened to the old coach. But NWR literally had every high school coach in the state knocking on their door to be the coach. Even South Panola's coach. And they settle with this guy.

I knew we'd never get that lucky. Pogue is an AWFUL coach.

Pollodawg
07-29-2013, 02:02 PM

This. And I hate it. It seems like coaches here are just so friggen stupid and lazy.