PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on Wes Johnson

Todd4State
10-30-2015, 03:17 AM
First of all, I think one thing that we as a baseball program need to do is identify people that are innovators and are ahead of the curve that are also looking for an opportunity to make a name for themselves. I think Johnson fits that description.

This is a guy that was at a school that is basically the equivalent of Samford in the same state as Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Rice, Houston and is not far away from Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Oklahoma State- and he has been able to find/and or develop pitchers that throw as hard or harder as those powerhouses and has also had as many pitchers drafted in the top 10 rounds as Vanderbilt. For context, that is better than any other SEC school except for Vandy- which he equaled at a mid major. And even more impressive- Vandy had 6 pitchers drafted in the top 5 rounds and Dallas Baptist had 5.

It's important for us to have coaches that can identify AND develop talent maybe moreso than some schools because of the baseball culture in Mississippi- which is where we are still going to get a lot of our players from. I've talked about how notoriously raw pitchers from Mississippi are- which is one reason why I think Butch had some struggles with guys until year three. But we need someone that can get production out of our pitchers much more quickly than year three- and Pat McMahon has shown that this can be done. I think that's why Dietrich was so attractive to Cohen in the first place, but I think Johnson will do as well or better with younger pitchers. As the draft numbers tell us, he can either find guys or he can coach guys way up- or all of the above.

The biggest thing I like about Wes is he comes from the Nolan Ryan/Brent Strom school of pitching- and IMO those are the guys that are on the forefront of pitching right now. Those guys and Tom House among others are the forward thinkers of pitching right now- in other words, teaching guys to throw harder but also more efficiently and safer. When the Braves had the best pitching staff in baseball, it was cool to say that velocity isn't everything and it's all about location and command- and it is and that has not nor will it change. BUT I guarantee you that if you went up to Maddux or Glavine and asked them if they could keep the same command and movement and throw 100 MPH- they would do it in a heartbeat. While command and changing speeds are all very important things there is a very good reason why MLB scouts still want guys that can throw in the 90's and why guys like Jamie McMahon who won the Ferris Trophy and had a dominant year in college are five year guys that aren't drafted until the 24th round. It's because if you can teach a guy that can throw 96 like Dakota Hudson command and how to change speeds, all of a sudden you have an absolute beast of a pitcher. For us to have someone out of that school of pitching is a HUGE game changer for us. If we can coach up our guys that we do get, we won't have to rely on slipping guys through the draft quite as much to compete with Vandy.

And in this new era of college baseball plus the fact that our fences are coming in plus who knows what effect the new structures will have on Dudy-Noble going forward- you're not going to see guys like Ross Mitchell out there throwing BP and then end up with a 13-0 record with a sub 2.00 ERA and win All-American honors. It's going to behoove us to have some swing and miss guys. Plus, guys that throw harder tend to get drafted higher in general- and if we have someone that can get someone from 90 to 94 while they are in college, I guarantee you pitchers from not only Mississippi- but around the country are going to take notice.

I also didn't care for how Butch always seemed to have to duct tape our staff together- even though at the same time I understood why we had to do it and also Butch was good at it. But think about this- how dominant would Lindgren have been had we not been forced to use him for 5-6 IP at times? Or Holder? Etc? If you have guys that can eat innings and be effective- like Stratton or Graveman- then you can SAVE your elite bullpen arms over the course of the series and the season. And that should in theory help you out over the course of the year. That's why I think quality starts is such an underrated stat when discussing how effective pitchers are. If you have a guy going 6 IP and allowing 2 runs or less, you should win the majority of those games.

One thing I did like about Butch because I guess I'm a little weird or whatever was how he liked the dropdown guys. I understand that a lot of baseball people don't like them- and I get it. And I get it's something that can be way overdone- you only really need 1-2 on your regular SEC roster. I'm also OK if Johnson is not a guru in dropdown guys. But I do like some things about them such as you can get a guy that is not necessarily an elite SEC talent who just wants to be on the team and have him dropdown and be a contributor and an effective member of the team. And sometimes college hitters have a LOT of trouble with a dropdown guy ESPECIALLY the first time through the order. So, if you have a good one like Caleb Reed or Saunders Ramsey you're talking about a guy that can eat up about 3 IP and essentially make the game a 6 inning game. Or less if you have a guy like a Holder or Lindgren. And that can help keep you in a game if you have a starter that has a bad start or whatever sometimes. If worse comes to worse, I'm sure Butch will still do his dropdown camp at Auburn and we do have a relationship with Chad Bradford (through Butch) and I'm OK sending our dropdown guys to that camp in December. But it's something that I will be interested to watch.

In summary- as I said before, Johnson was my personal first pick all along. I'm glad things worked out the way that they did and I think not getting Dietrich might be a blessing for everyone involved. I'm really excited about Wes and I think it's going to be fun to watch our pitchers go from nibblers to attackers and see some radar guns light up through the bar-b-que smoke. I think Johnson is not only a home run hire- I think he is an upper deck shot hire.

Thick
10-30-2015, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the post...good insight.

Blackout
10-30-2015, 06:38 AM
I maintain that Butch was very good at making lemons out of lemonade but a dominant staff is required to dominate and I think we have a major upgrade here.

Wes will do better with the talent we have NOW than Butch would have.

Thrill1
10-30-2015, 08:45 AM
Awesome stuff Todd. Question now is, how quick of an impact can he have on the 2016 staff? From what you're saying, it sounds like Thompson's & Johnson's philosophies are opposites. Tough transition to make after fall camp is over.

Saltydog
10-30-2015, 09:18 AM
tradition rich area for HS talent.

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2015, 09:46 AM
Todd,

Very good thoughts & well thought out. Not only has Wes turned out similar draft numbers as Vanderbilt at Dallas Baptist, we aren't even including players that he signed to Dallas Baptist, were drafted, & never showed up to campus such as: Noah Syndagaard (Starting game 3 of the World Series tonight. Johnson locked him up early before Texas, A&M, TCU, etc even knew who he was) & Garret Fulencheck (The Braves sandwhich round pick two years ago, that Johnson locked up before others knew who he was.)

Wes is extremely talented at maximizing the limits of what a pitcher can do. Throwing gas will become a competitive culture on our team & there will be a mentality to do so.

Wes is probably the most cutting edge pitching coach in amateur baseball today. He implements trackman, video, science, research, etc.... as well as anyone.

This truly a potential game changing hire in the SEC. I wish I could share with you how lucky we are to have landed Wes. Let's just say that we weren't the only ones wanting him

Lumpy Chucklelips
10-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Good stuff Todd. Thanks for your input. Enjoy reading your posts.

One thing you mentioned that I never understood was not getting production out of a guy until year 3. It always seemed to me that when we did have an elite guy, we would get one good/great year out of him and then he moved on to MLB and seemed to move up the ranks rather quickly there. I understand guys improving and maturing over time, but it seemed they would take off after they left MSU. I would think dang, if we could have gotten one more year of production from him a year earlier, it would have made a world of difference for our team.

Also, I know after fall ball we had individual sessions with I think 4 players at a time. I remember Cohen mentioning this in an interview that he had fall ball either earlier or later, I can't remember which, so the individual sessions would benefit us more. Seemed to insinuate we hadn't done it like this in the past. I wonder if once he realized there was a chance of Butch leaving, did he save some of these sessions for the new guy to be a part of. Do you know if we have any of these sessions left for Johnson to work with the guys?

preachermatt83
10-30-2015, 10:27 AM
I would have traded butch for Wes Johnson in a heartbeat. We took a step up considering where college baseball is today.

Backwoodsdawg
10-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Great post!

ScottH
10-30-2015, 11:07 AM
I would have traded butch for Wes Johnson in a heartbeat. We took a step up considering where college baseball is today.

Spot on in spades.

I am appreciative of Butch and wish him well.

However, everybody won when Auburn hired Butch.

AlSwearengen
10-30-2015, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the informative post Todd. Now, lets get that stadium built and do some even better recruiting.